• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Previews/Impressions Thread

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Optimizing performance comes later, not to worry.

Haven't they already said they are in the process of migrating between engines? I think it was mentioned by Tabata this demo is kind of a mid-way solution between the old and what is to be used in the final build.

Pretty sure I read it in one of the older FFXV threads here on Gaf.

Either way, I think fretting over performance is kinda irrelevant when the full game is in all probability a year or more out.

Squire

Banned
Hmm, nice to hear I guess, though I'll be able to see what I think in a little over a week thankfully. Shame about the issues, but I can't say I'm worried about the final version having those quite yet.

I can understand the worry that the banter could get old though.

Particularly when your actors aren't exsctly winning hearts and minds. Very few games do that because so few can pull it off. It's pretty much Naughty Dog, BioWare and no one else. If the cast isn't great to listen to it's going to hurt them far more than help.

_Ryo_

So, does the demo have any sort of towns in it and did they clarify about going further into the water? I'm updating my OS right now and can't watch any videos.

jschreier

PR told me this was the final version of the demo. When I talked about them fixing the technical issues, I'm talking about in the real game.

Servbot24

Banned
A bunch of positive impressions with one negative one.

Guess which GAF cares about.

All vids looks great to me so I'm not worried about tech issues. And even if the tech issues are noticeable, I'm still far more concerned with the actual game than whether there's a jagged line or two.

People are getting bent out of shape over what Kotaku said?

Wait two weeks, then make your own judgement.
Considering this is the same fanbase that went OMG THE GAME PLAYS ITSELF over the first few battle system infos, I think their reaction is quite tame.

Soma

I fell in love when they unveiled that Chocobo Post area.

Such a crazy shift from what I was expecting out the game but I love how they're approaching it.

Toki767

I feel more confident that they can get rid of jankiiness due to no set release date. Unlike western studios who have a release date announced well beforehand that you'd think they couldn't possible iron out a majority of the kinks by them.

All vids looks great to me so I'm not worried about tech issues. And even if the tech issues are noticeable, I'm still far more concerned with the actual game than whether there's a jagged line or two.

Kotaku's impressions is not negative.

DeSolos

Haven't they already said they are in the process of migrating between engines? I think it was mentioned by Tabata this demo is kind of a mid-way solution between the old and what is to be used in the final build.

Pretty sure I read it in one of the older FFXV threads here on Gaf.

Either way, I think fretting over performance is kinda irrelevant when the full game is in all probability a year or more out.

They've fully migrated now, but they're still iterating on the Luminous Engine as the game progresses. The demo runs on what they call Luminous 1.5, and by the time the game is finished it'll be on 2.0. So going off of their arbitrary version numbering, I'd say they have a lot that they plan to do to improve the engine.

Jason's impressions aren't even negative. OP just cherry picked that one part and people don't read the actual articles most of the time.

But this version eurogamer is playing is xbox one's right? it shows "Press "A" to warp".

The video isn't them playing live; press got to go and play the game, and Square then dished out some video footage (about 8 minutes) they'd recorded separately after the fact. Again, the version played for the hands-on was PS4, the footage was Xbox One.

wmlk

These are all extremely positive.

I'm scared their spoiling too much, though. But I wonder if there ever is "too much" after the Destiny and WD marketing blitz...it sure worked out well for them.

PR told me this was the final version of the demo. When I talked about them fixing the technical issues, I'm talking about in the real game.

Could you tell if there was a slowdown for every hit? The slowdown build is an older build.

I'm glad the combat has a pretty positive reception all around since that was #1 worry. I'll still need to try it out for myself though.

The video isn't them playing live; press got to go and play the game, and Square then dished out some video footage (about 8 minutes) they'd recorded separately after the fact. Again, the version played for the hands-on was PS4, the footage was Xbox One.

Yep, sorry, I was lazy and got you wrong =p Thanks for sharing this info.

So, does the demo have any sort of towns in it and did they clarify about going further into the water? I'm updating my OS right now and can't watch any videos.

No swimming in the demo, and no towns (but there's a gas station and a chocobo ranch).

Gamespot

I love the idea of four guys on a road trip to save the world. It's refreshing to see a small group that emotionally trusts each other; they're relationships are pre-established before the demo, and the level to which they connect with each other is evident on the surface. This is a positive representation of male camaraderie without machismo, a rare representation of "bromance" that is infrequently used in video games.

"But there will be the ones who understand. The ones who respond, and who are looking for the same thing," O'Malley writes of male intimacy. "And those friendships will be the ones that change your life for the better." These friendships are already evident in Noctis' life in Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae, and it makes their story stronger. It adds to the believability of the world, that it is lived in with people who are living and loving, and will ultimately--I believe--make for a stronger game.

I won't mind if there are no playable female characters in Final Fantasy XV, because the relationship between its four main characters is strong, sweet, and a very smart move.

Sounds positive.

Voror

Particularly when your actors aren't exsctly winning hearts and minds. Very few games do that because so few can pull it off. It's pretty much Naughty Dog, BioWare and no one else. If the cast isn't great to listen to it's going to hurt them far more than help.

I don't really have any problems with the Japanese cast, though part of that might be that I don't understand them for the most part except with subtitles so there isn't as much irritation. Square has had quite good casts in the past though such as the Kingdom Hearts series or FFXII.

The weird one out of the English VAs is Ignis for me. I don't have a problem with him being British, but he sounds too old to me.

Squire

Banned
These are all extremely positive.

I'm scared their spoiling too much, though. But I wonder if there ever is "too much" after the Destiny and WD marketing blitz...it sure worked out well for them.

I don't even get the "spoiling too much" angle, honestly. Are there supposed to be some sort of mind blowing narrative revelations at the end? I get people are invested, but it's just a demo, no? The sun doesn't rise and set on this.

I don't really have any problems with the Japanese cast, though part of that might be that I don't understand them for the most part except with subtitles so there isn't as much irritation. Square has had quite good casts in the past though such as the Kingdom Hearts series or FFXII.

The weird one out of the English VAs is Ignis for me. I don't have a problem with him being British, but he sounds too old to me.

I should've specified the dub. I typically enjoy SE dubs, but I think FFXII is far and away the best they've done. The closest the series has ever gotten to banter is the battle quotes in FFX and FFX-2. Those are actually pretty great, but it won't be the same running around in an open-world. Especially with the eienent of physicality coming into play here, what with how the guys move and touch each other.

They should have delayed it if there are technical issues.

I like good first impressions as much as anyone, but if they had delayed it, considering the history of its development so far, I don't think that would have quelled any negativity either. Surely people can just keep in mind that it's still in development and probably about a year (or more) away? It's like people complaining about unfinished CGI in movie trailers. It still has to be shown and marketed regardless.

Boke1879

Technical issues don't bother me at all. I hope people remember the state of Bloodborne just a few months ago.

I really can't wait for this.

Hazu

I really feel like Xenoblade Chronicles X makes me less hyped than I should for this game. The region in the demo doesn't look that much fun to be honest, seems way too empty.

Still very excited for the game though.

orochi91

Delaying the demo?

Or are you referring to the retail version?

The full game is probably a year out, so there's plenty of time to work out the kinks.

I really feel like Xenoblade Chronicles X makes me less hyped than I should for this game. The region in the demo doesn't look that much fun to be honest, seems way too empty.

Still very excited for the game though.

Xenoblade felt like a natural evolution from FF12, so I hope FF15 captures some of that magic.

XBX is gonna be amazing.

Boke1879

I like good first impressions as much as anyone, but if they had delayed it, considering the history of its development so far, I don't think that would have quelled any negativity either. Surely people can just keep in mind that it's still in development and probably about a year (or more) away? It's like people complaining about unfinished CGI in movie trailers. It still has to be shown and marketed regardless.

and lets be honest. This game is going to sell a lot regardless. I see this demo as more of way of showing off the battle and gameplay systems.

wmlk

I don't even get the "spoiling too much" angle, honestly. Are there supposed to be some sort of mind blowing narrative revelations at the end? I get people are invested, but it's just a demo, no? The sun doesn't rise and set on this.

Exactly. I don't get it either. There never is too much.

The general public is just too misinformed and being on Twitch today, it's kind of baffling. "Too much" surely helped Destiny and WD.

So basically developers just have their priorities fucked up?

Uh...no? Expecting a milestone build to have stable frame rate and release-level image quality is like expecting a car to be gleaming and waxed while it is still on the assembly line. Technical decisions accumulate that can make drastic changes in frame rate impossible, but stabilizing it at the end is very much polish. Trying to build an entire game while maintaining a stable frame rate is insane.

It's a demo released before even reaching alpha status running on an unfinished engine.

They shouldn't waste months polishing a demo.

This raises another question: Is a good idea release a demo of a very unfinished game, leaving a possibly bad impression on people who are gonna spend 60 bucks on it?

Here's my impressions from playing the game yesterday. USgamer.

Short of it, open-world game with combat that's somewhat like Kingdom Hearts. Visually, it looks good, but the PS3 lineage shows through occasionally and there were framerate hiccups and tons of aliasing.

Top Bottom