• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Previews/Impressions Thread

That’s not to say there weren’t issues. At one stage of my demo the frame-rate slowed to a crawl when not much was going on. Allegedly it’s not the final build that’ll go out with Type-0 and, even if it is, there’s time for this to be rectified before the game eventually launches. I’m not concerned at this stage, but with everything else so promising it’d be an absolute disaster if Square let a ten-year project fall at the last hurdle due to technical issues.

So IGN says this isn't the build that's included with type-0 who to believe?

It's a pity that the demo doesn't perform great, but it's not surprising considering it's been rushed out to release alongside Type-0. Since the final game is at least a year away, they have plenty of time to hopefully fix any technical issues.

Aside from that, though, it sounds like the impressions have been pretty positive so far.

Laekon

I had no interest in this but the description and the IGN video make it something to consider. I hope they can pull it off this year as there are not a lot of games I'm interested in coming out. I really liked FFXII but couldn't finish 12 because of the hallway design that made up the first 50% or more of the game.

Squire

Banned
That’s not to say there weren’t issues. At one stage of my demo the frame-rate slowed to a crawl when not much was going on. Allegedly it’s not the final build that’ll go out with Type-0 and, even if it is, there’s time for this to be rectified before the game eventually launches. I’m not concerned at this stage, but with everything else so promising it’d be an absolute disaster if Square let a ten-year project fall at the last hurdle due to technical issues.

So IGN says this isn't the build that's included with type-0 who to believe?

Jason from Kotaku says in this very thread this is what we're getting.

They rushed it. Just gotta deal. /shrug

Nibel

I mean yeah, technical issues are shitty, but in the end a demo is just a demo and most of the optimization processes take place at the end of the development.

Boke1879

It's a demo released before even reaching alpha status running on an unfinished engine.

They shouldn't waste months polishing a demo.

This raises another question: Is a good idea release a demo of a very unfinished game, leaving a possibly bad impression on people who are gonna spend 60 bucks on it?

I'm kind of on the fence about this. Personally I feel I'm paying for Type-0 and the ability to play the FFXV demo. If some people are paying 60 for the demo along I feel that already shortchanged themselves. No matter how optimized the demo was.

sn00zer

Here's my impressions from playing the game yesterday. USgamer.

Short of it, open-world game with combat that's somewhat like Kingdom Hearts. Visually, it looks good, but the PS3 lineage shows through occasionally and there were framerate hiccups and tons of aliasing.
Its...Its beautiful....
hnnnnng.jpg

Definitely lol

There was never a speck of a chance this was coming this year. Spring 2016 is the earliest we can hope for.

om2Nbge.gif

Ain't gonna be playing this motherfucker until late next year it seems, it's gonna be 10 full years from announcement of versus to release of this game.

om2Nbge.gif

Everything reminds me of Tales of for some reason. Constant shooting of the party annoucing their attacks/ status, etc... Exploring the map, action oriented, real time battle...

And I'm not sold of that modern day setting. It looks so bland. So out of place to have big monster, Jrock idols and super photorealistic store in the middle...

Could be good... But still... looks nothing like FF... Might want to go in with a very open mind

jb1234

I like the footage I've seen so far. A bit iffy on how no music is used while exploring large field areas (Xenoblade handled this better).

Ceravic

Everything reminds me of Tales of for some reason. Constant shooting of the party annoucing their attacks/ status, etc... Exploring the map, action oriented, real time battle...

And I'm not sold of that modern day setting. It looks so bland. So out of place to have big monster, Jrock idols and super photorealistic store in the middle...

Could be good... But still... looks nothing like FF... Might want to go in with a very open mind

Looks nothing like FF, as long as you ignore all the things that look like FF in the game.

raven777

I like the footage I've seen so far. A bit iffy on how no music is used while exploring large field areas (Xenoblade handled this better).

I really hope this is just for the demo. No overworld music in fields would be terrible in the final game.

Asd202

Heh that Kotaku preview is pretty brutal.

om2Nbge.gif

Ain't gonna be playing this motherfucker until late next year it seems, it's gonna be 10 full years from announcement of versus to release of this game.

om2Nbge.gif

You should prepare yourself for late 2016 heck even early 2017 is not out of the question for the West.

Valor

I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Everything seems very positive, and even if there are a few framerate drops/etc, so be it.

VG247

In many ways, Final Fantasy XV seems to be living up to its original name. ‘Versus’ has its origin in Latin, where it means to turn or to change direction – and that’s what this feels like. It’s a new action-based twist for Final Fantasy that still just about manages to feel reverent to the series’ expansive past. Episode Duscae proves a strong starting point to such a different vision – and now it’s up to Square to double down and expand on it significantly for the final game.

benjammin

Good lord the hyperbole is out in full force. It's a rushed demo that was released to be included with Type 0. The full game is probably still at least a year away from release, and the overall impressions are still generally positive. Can we at least wait until the release date is announced before we go into irrational panic mode?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Guys the kotaku article said that the game was difficult. Could this be an actually difficult Final Fantasy game?

FFXIII was actually very difficult. I heard similar stuff about Type-0 so it's not definitely the first time a FF has been hard. Without even considering all the extra materials that is...

Odd that no one has commented on the new music. Nice to see the diversity return. Some easy lounge style music and some country-ish tunes! Nice to see the variety!

Kama_1082

Banned
I mean yeah, technical issues are shitty, but in the end a demo is just a demo and most of the optimization processes take place at the end of the development.

unfortunately, there are people out there (including here) that believe it's the same as the final product

Looks nothing like FF, as long as you ignore all the things that look like FF in the game.

It looks like Final Fantasy realized in an open world with streamlined combat. My only "problem" with the demo is that the environments look a bit too closer to home; I do prefer the sort of outlandish, fantastic art direction the series is known for, but at the same time I have seen scenery closer to that so it's not a concern I have about the full game. When you see telephone poles and chain-linked fences it definitely makes it feel more strikingly realistic mirroring our own world and I can see how that would turn some people off, but it's one area and probably earlier in the game.

The cities actually remind me of a mix of Final Fantasy VIII and XII's cities, which is a good thing.

jb1234

Odd that no one has commented on the new music. Nice to see the diversity return. Some easy lounge style music and some country-ish tunes! Nice to see the variety!

I wanted to hear more of that male chanting boss tune. Maybe it's in another video...

The town theme was really weird. Sounded like nothing I've ever heard in an FF game.

Remember FF Fortress ? The western reboot of FF by Grin ?

It was cancelled after Square decided that it looked nothing like FF. So Grin kept working more and more towards something like traditional FFs but Square kept saying it looked nothing like FF. Grin, pissed, understood they were stalling them so they sent artworks from FF XII. Square's answer : it looks nothing like FF. Grin understood they were being played and Square just didn't know how to break the deal. Grin steped out. Never got paid.

Bonus trivia : Grin was only in contact with Square's legal team. Yes, for the entire creative process. And they asked them to send the game's code via Fax.

Asd202

Remember FF Fortress ? The western reboot of FF by Grin ?

It was cancelled after Square decided that it looked nothing like FF. So Grin kept working more and more towards something like traditional FFs but Square kept saying it looked nothing like FF. Grin, pissed, understood they were stalling them so they sent artworks from FF XII. Square's answer : it looks nothing like FF. Grin understood they were being played and Square just didn't know how to break the deal. Grin steped out. Never got paid.

Bonus trivia : Grin was only in contact with Square's legal team. Yes, for the entire creative process. And they asked them to send the game's code via Fax.

Wow SE really? Really?

Technical difficulties should have been expected. It's just a (rushed) demo.

Has anyone said anything about resolution? Is it 720p?

AdanVC

I like how the Kotaku impressions is divided into segments explaining each concept and feature of the demo and then on the music part it's just:

sinttulopjudh.jpg

Hnnnghhh can't freaking wait to hear the soundtrack in this game. It is going to be glorious

is it weird that the first thought that came to my mind was to blow away the shop keeper with a shotgun and take all the money in the register??

lol gta what have you done!!

Top Bottom