• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gamescom Schedule, features 17+ 2-hour Duscae LPs and an ATR

oimori

I think story changing is good for free roam of Insomnia. In Versus plot, Invasion was under way from very first of the game. We have to see a lot of building falling down while running away from empire and scream " Oh no, they are buildings I've never been to!"

theofficefan99

I, too, am really bummed out about them removing Noctis and co. being part of the invasion. Easily the part I was most excited about.

I think story changing is good for free roam of Insomnia. In Versus plot, Invasion was under way from very first of the game. We have to see a lot of building falling down while running away from empire and scream " Oh no, they are buildings I've never been to!"

When you put it that way.. I'm cool with this.

Wagram

The environments don't look absolutely amazing thus far, but I do have to admit that what Nomura showed years ago with the city looked absolutely terrible. Even for it's time.

Hopefully since the media blowout will start soon we'll see new areas, and not that many spoilers. Square has a tendency to stay super quiet and then ruin everything in succession.

Famassu

I guess we'll see, but by progress I mean like... the rest of the game. If they've just further polished the Duscae region or even the gameplay, that's still surely like a very small part of the overall game.
The game was said to be almost 70% complete the last time they talked about it, what, half a year ago. Just because they've been showing only one part of one region in the game means jack shit in regards to how far along they are with the development. It's more about Tabata not wanting to reveal too much of the game too early, before they properly start the game's marketing. Episode Duscae was never supposed to be anything else but a taste of what's to come and it was mostly made because FFXV has been such a long time coming (and probably to sell some extra copies of Type-0 HD...). It didn't mean there was nothing else to show, just that they decided not to show anything until they were closer to release and could begin their usual marketing cycle.

And also consider SE typically do one year media cycles for a lot of their games. FFXIV ARR, XIII-2, LR and Type-0 PSP all had a year or close to it.
A full year is not all that usual for SQEX, at all. For FFXIV ARR it was long (for obvious reasons). Type-0's was closer to a year long only because of the last-minute delay, originally they began the hype machines about 6 or 7 months prior to release with an intent to release it in the Summer 2011, IIRC. For XIII-2 & LR it was long probably because they hoped it would show fans they are listening to complaints and show they are taking the sequels to a different direction.

They've released a lot of games with less, around 6-9 months of more intense marketing, gameplay being shown & previews starting to appear on more magazines etc. Just Cause 3 was only properly shown 2 months ago and is releasing in 4. Rise of the Tomb Raider was revealed at E3 2014 but they've only recently started showing it as well. with a late 2015 release. 6-9 months is the usual length for the big marketing cycle prior to the release of their games.

If they did 13+ months of marketing for (the full) FFXV, that wouldn't be anywhere near the norm. Seems a lot more likely that the game will be released prior to Fall 2016, if they are at the beginning of the big marketing push now. Of course delays can always happen, but I think it will be Fall 2016 only WITH a delay, not something they are currently aiming for if marketing is actually beginning now. If anything, I could see it taking The Witcher 3's release as the huge late Spring release in 2016.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The game was said to be almost 70% complete the last time they talked about it, what, half a year ago. Just because they've been showing only one part of one region in the game means jack shit in regards to how far along they are with the development. It's more about Tabata not wanting to reveal too much of the game too early, before they properly start the game's marketing. Episode Duscae was never supposed to be anything else but a taste of what's to come and it was mostly made because FFXV has been such a long time coming (and probably to sell some extra copies of Type-0 HD...). It didn't mean there was nothing else to show, just that they decided not to show anything until they were closer to release and could begin their usual marketing cycle.

A full year is not all that usual for SQEX, at all. For FFXIV ARR it was long (for obvious reasons). Type-0's was closer to a year long only because of the last-minute delay, originally they began the hype machines about 6 or 7 months prior to release with an intent to release it in the Summer 2011, IIRC. For XIII-2 & LR it was long probably because they hoped it would show fans they are listening to complaints and show they are taking the sequels to a different direction.

They've released a lot of games with less, around 6-9 months of more intense marketing, gameplay being shown & previews starting to appear on more magazines etc. Just Cause 3 was only properly shown 2 months ago and is releasing in 4. Rise of the Tomb Raider was revealed at E3 2014 but they've only recently started showing it as well. with a late 2015 release. 6-9 months is the usual length for the big marketing cycle prior to the release of their games.

If they did 13+ months of marketing for (the full) FFXV, that wouldn't be anywhere near the norm. Seems a lot more likely that the game will be released prior to Fall 2016, if they are at the beginning of the big marketing push now.

Famassu. Please.
Stop making excuses by bringing up the western games when I clearly only listed Final Fantasy titles.

theofficefan99

There's really no point in arguing about when the game might be released when we're going to find out the answer in less than 2 days from now.

wmlk

The environments don't look absolutely amazing thus far, but I do have to admit that what Nomura showed years ago with the city looked absolutely terrible. Even for it's time.

Hopefully since the media blowout will start soon we'll see new areas, and not that many spoilers. Square has a tendency to stay super quiet and then ruin everything in succession.

Soon.

2609312-7738458881-XV_Ki.png

Famassu

Famassu. Please.
Stop making excuses by bringing up the western games when I clearly only listed Final Fantasy titles.
I could list you a lot of Japanese titles as well and point out how short Type-0 HD's & Heavensward's marketing cycles were. Those FFs you listed are exceptions to the rule. You can't ignore the reasons why they were so heavily marketed from earlier on and how FFXV has already gotten something like that with Episode Duscae, so now that they are getting serious with marketing the full game, it's not all that unreasonable to think that they wouldn't begin it 13-15 months early.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I could list you a lot of Japanese titles as well. Those FFs are exceptions to the rule. You can't ignore the reasons why they were so heavily marketed from earlier on and how FFXV has already gotten something like that with Episode Duscae, so now that they are getting serious with marketing the full game, it's not all that unreasonable to think that they wouldn't begin it 13-15 months early.

Those FFs are their output for the last 4 years! Of course they can be used as reasoning. And Heavensward was still 9 months of promotion.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Even Accordo looks different now. In the Visual Works video released a few months back, you could see that the waterfalls are now frozen (well, at least on the right side. No clue what's going on on the left).

Erm no. The one shown a few months ago was an early render.

wmlk

Even Accordo looks different now. In the Visual Works video released a few months back, you could see that the waterfalls are now frozen (well, at least on the right side. No clue what's going on on the left).

No, that was before the CG was completed and without fluid simulation.

You'll forgive me if my expectations of playing this game within the next two years are quite conservative. Surely it's a big game, there's probably a lot they could show without really ruining much. I'm all for that being the reason because I think they show far too much from games (and especially movies) prior to release, but if the game is actually that far along I'm pretty confident that they could be showing more than just Duscae every time and not spoil the game.

theofficefan99

Those FFs are their output for the last 4 years! Of course they can be used as reasoning. And Heavensward was still 9 months of promotion.

I don't understand why you bring up XIII-2 and LR.

XIII-2 was announced in January 2011 and then released in December of that year.

LR was announced August 31, 2012 and then was released in November 2013.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't understand why you bring up XIII-2 and LR.

XIII-2 was announced in January 2011 and then released in December of that year.

LR was announced August 31, 2012 and then was released in November 2013.

Because they spent a year promoting those titles. LR had new information every month until release even starting from January 2013.

Falk

that puzzling face
That doesn't make any sense, considering that this was shown 2 years after we first saw Accordo...

... what doesn't make any sense? The rest of that montage had a shit ton of other in-progress CGI work, including Noodle-Hair Snow from Lightning Returns.

benzy

Are you talking about the city scene where the textures weren't even applied yet?

Edit: Oh.

wmlk

The CG montage had about 10 frames of never before seen footage. Which was basically Noctis standing up on an airship.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ok, you win. Square Enix, for whatever inexplicable reason, 2 years later decided to make the waterfalls on one side of Accordo freeze up. Someone make the "FFXV downgradeathon!?" thread.

Happy?

pls don't tip kotaku that falk said this

artsi

You'll forgive me if my expectations of playing this game within the next two years are quite conservative. Surely it's a big game, there's probably a lot they could show without really ruining much. I'm all for that being the reason because I think they show far too much from games (and especially movies) prior to release, but if the game is actually that far along I'm pretty confident that they could be showing more than just Duscae every time and not spoil the game.

I'm just waiting and trying not to expect anything (positive or negative), since we don't know what's going on behind the curtains.
Hopefully Tabata gives an update on the project status in ATR.

It's certainly possible (and to me, preferable) to keep stuff in wraps until release but I feel FFXV doesn't have that luxury, with the weight of expectations it carries on its shoulders.

With Persona 5 we haven't seen anything (10-20 seconds of gameplay footage) compared to FFXV and it's supposed to come out in a few months. But with FFXV fans have been let down many times with the development mess and they demand to see results.

Famassu

Last 4 years that were a hard time for Square Enix and they were doing a lot of desperate things with FF. FFXIV ARR is such a special case in every way that you can't use its promotion as some kind of example of what they'll do with any other game. And neither XIII-2 nor Type-0 PSP got 13-15 months of marketing, so I don't quite understand how you are trying to use them as an example that FFXV would get that much either. Heavensward was announced 9 months prior to release, but I don't remember seeing much of it until March. Again, none of these support a 13-15 month marketing cycle.

Top Bottom