• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is now just one month away. Place your bets: will it be good?

70MC is my prediction, but the fans will love it.

That would put it lower than 80% of every Final Fantasy game with a metacritic score. It won't be that low unless something catastrophic happened and...I don't think that happened, as bearish as I am on this title. The lowest MC for a single-player mainline game is 77 for FFIII (DS), as a point of comparison.

Sizzel

Will it get good reviews?

I say high 70's. The stuff we have seen and the stories floating through the ether about the development.. plus what we actually know about the 456000 year dev cycle... don't bode well.

Will it please the fans?

Nope. Does anything?

Will it live up to the hype?

Hype? I love Final Fantasy and have played everyone one when they were released going back almost 30 years. Not hyped...maybe new schoolers are? Are people hyped for this

Where will it fall in the rankings of FF games?

If I had to bet...6,9,12,4,7, 5,10,15,8,1,3,2,13

All that being said.. I hope I am 100% wrong and it is the best final fantasy ever. I just have zero faith.

mcz117chief

I get all of that, don't take it the wrong way it just felt like he was just there as a guide and there wasn't much fleshing out his backstory. I was intrigued by that but nothing really came of it.

His backstory is absolutely amazingly fleshed out in the dream sequences. No wonder he didn't want to talk about his life too much. Once you see him in his "ideal" world, which none of us would even remotely call ideal, you really feel bad for him :(

Will it get good reviews?

I say high 70's. The stuff we have seen and the stories floating through the ether about the development.. plus what we actually know about the 456000 year dev cycle... don't bode well.

Will it please the fans?

Nope. Does anything?

Will it live up to the hype?

Hype? I love Final Fantasy and have played everyone one when they were released going back almost 30 years. Not hyped...maybe new schoolers are? Are people hyped for this

Where will it fall in the rankings of FF games?

If I had to bet...6,9,12,4,7, 5,10,15,8,1,3,2,13

All that being said.. I hope I am 100% wrong and it is the best final fantasy ever. I just have zero faith.
I wanna just say eh opinions and this list is for you personally but everything else you said sounds like it's not opinionated with you saying no one's hyped fans will be disappointed...so I gotta ask are you ordering them from personal or...

Mattenth

OpenCritic score predictions are pretty high.

dgmx5RO.png

On the flip side, if it's bad, it's going to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

But given that the press have 5 chapters in, I can't see this being a No Man's Sky repeat.

mcz117chief

dgmx5RO.png

On the flip side, if it's bad, it's going to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

But given that the press have 5 chapters in, I can't see this being a No Man's Sky repeat.

I believe it will easily reach above this score. It has a chance to stand next to such titans like Halo 3, Mass Effect 2, Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk Pro 2, Civilisation IV, etc. so I expect 94 or more.

Renmyra

I believe it will easily reach above this score. It has a chance to stand next to such titans like Halo 3, Mass Effect 2, Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk Pro 2, Civilisation IV, etc. so I expect 94 or more.

You expect it to get better reviews than FFIX, FFVII and FFVI? I mean, I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic.

notaskwid

Looking at the previews I think that it'll generally be considered a return to form and the reviews will reflect that, so I'm predicting a 90+ metascore to the game, even if the quality of the product itself doesn't complety reflect it.
This game has it's fair share of haters right now and after the dust settles I wouldn't be surprised to see a Bioshock Infinite like reaction, once again, regardless of the actual quality of the game.

LordKasual

Banned

dgmx5RO.png

Yeah...i'm really doubting that this game will pull a heel turn though. It's not showing any of the signs that it would. There were alot of early markers that this game was going to probably be 73-83 material...performance issues, visuals were wonky, bugs everywhere, only showing the same area every showing as if nothing else was finished...But the improvements have been so thorough that i feel safe dropping my usual skepticisim and are willing to give Square the benefit of the doubt this time.

I mean, early on Tabata did mention that the way they were developing XV was different from the way they usually did (starting things and then finishing it later, instead of just all at once), which is probably where all those development reels with arbitrary % numbers came from. But I guess there was merit to it and not just PR talk.

The reason i'm not really worried about review scores is because there are alot of people who don't even care about Final Fantasy who are excited for this game. Not only reviewers, but just random gamers and people who glance the gameplay. If this game is able to actually tap into the WRPG crowd, I think it's going to do really, really well.

I'm expecting at least an 85 at this point.

Earlier this year in the summer I expected at least a 72-75 mostly through the gameplay they showed. But the 15 hour previews make me think the press will enjoy it a lot more than I thought and SE really worked hard on fixing a lot of the games issues it seems.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
You expect it to get better reviews than FFIX, FFVII and FFVI? I mean, I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic.

Huh, FFIX did get 94 back in its day.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation/final-fantasy-ix That was despite some vocal cricitism of...the lack of voices.

Honestly, I cannot believe FFVIII was a 90 metacritic or that FFVII was only 92. No point comparing ratings 15+ years ago to today. Just makes things unnecessarily complicated for reviewers.

Neiteio

RE4 had a long and troubled development cycle with multiple directors. Metroid Prime's development took a while to find its footing. There are other examples of games with long and troubled development cycles that turn out wonderful. What we've seen of FFXV seems super-focused so far, so I feel it benefitted from multiple restarts since it allowed them to jettison what wasn't working and focus on a thematically sound scenario (coming of age, father/son relationships, brotherly love, etc) and a gameplay structure that may support it.

In other words, I think it will have a high metascore. Especially with its first 15 hours receiving universal praise from the press, exceeding expectations, and no word of any turn for the worse (so far).

As someone who is not a fan of FF, per say, but rather of good games in general, my gut tells me this will be great.

silva1991

Not even everyone's GOAT and the most awarded game of all time Witcher 3 got 94+ metascore. Some of you guys really need to lower expectations.

mcz117chief

Why not? I have yet to see anything that would make me drop a single point out of a perfect 100 (the only little thing that bothers me is the lack of pretty much all of my favourite songs on the car radio), both Duscae and Platinum are amazing and I must have replayed both of them dozens of times. I am super excited about XV and I believe it will be a legendary game.

Not even everyone's GOAT and the most awarded game of all time Witcher 3 got 94+ metascore. Some of you guys really need to lower expectations.
A lot of people think this game looks to be better than TW3 in a lot of ways. Some critics have labeled this game the perfect blend of JRPG and Western RPG.

The hype is real, I would expect nothing less than 85 and I'm sure to the +90 people they would be fine with that when the dust settles

Minamu

Having watched Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, I'm really excited. This is looking very promising imo. Is there anything else to watch or read to be up to speed on the game when it arrives?

Neiteio

In terms of character movement, combat, overall feel, etc, FFXV looks superior to Witcher 3 (save for maybe its spastic indoors camera).

And if Western high fantasy makes you yawn, then FFXV looks a lot more appealing with its unique setting (inspired in part by Middle America) and its blend of modern and medieval. FFXV has plenty of style to make it stand out.

Having watched Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, I'm really excited. This is looking very promising imo. Is there anything else to watch or read to be up to speed on the game when it arrives?
There's theories being posted on some of the scenes we see in KingsGlaive as well as the Omen trailer. Really interesting shit

JBwB

dgmx5RO.png

After reading all of the previews 85-89 is also my prediction. It's gonna take something extra special for FFXV to breach the 90 mark.

I have hope that it does.

Burbeting

Banned
I still think it will review somewhere between 80 and 85. 83 most likely.

Previews tend to be positive. I remember reading bunch of positive previews for FF13-2.

KraytarJ

I see an 82 MC with it being a good game that is far better than the XIII trilogy and some will even say it's a return to form for the series but many will not.

I need to see Tenebrae tbh, that shot of it during the world of wonder trailer made me hyped. I hope it's somewhat explorable and not a set piece to move the plot.

~Cross~

After reading all of the previews 85-89 is also my prediction. It's gonna take something extra special for FFXV to breach the 90 mark.

I have hope that it does.

I think if they nail the final portion of the game and make the ending memorable then we can expect the game to hit the 90s. Baring a complete shitshow of game breaking bugs or whatever, which seems more unlikely with each preview.

Top Bottom