• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10 million units to succeed in team's goal

Acosta

I guess that's the ideal, pie in the sky objective.

But I'm sure the main objective must be restore the brand to something with worldwide appeal again. I have the feeling that SE is putting everything on that.

I really enjoy them making this huge effort, they have my support. I will buy the deluxe pack.

DirtyCase

If this is from a few years ago maybe they are using a different strategy like setting more resonance sales goals by diversifying their offerings which have potential to earn them a fair bit of money (the movie, comic, and anime for example).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I could see it happening, as long as the final product + reviews are good. Final Fantasy is still a huge franchise. The Witcher 3 is a much a smaller franchise, and that's already nearing 10 million LTD within its first year.

How is The Witcher smaller, when The Witcher 3 will most likely outsell the bigger Final Fantasy game ever ( VII which did 11m)?

I mean, right now i think is pretty obvius The Witcher is bigger than Final Fantasy...

FFX 8.6 million on PS2.

FFXIII 6.8 million on PS3/360

IF XII can sell more on a single console than XIII can on two, FFXV is gonna have a tough time. Then again times are different.

PS4 will do just fine. Xbox One will sell, but I can see it barely selling half of what is on the PS4. PC will make up a healthy portion when it is eventually released. Steam Sales should help as well.

Faustek

Isn't Sony and SE pushing this throughout Asia? Feels like many here are to isolated and ignored the ROTW instead of seeing just how large that potential* market is. But admittedly 10m seems to steep.

*I hate the use of potential market.

Jonm1010

Banned
IF XII can sell more on a single console than XIII can on two, FFXV is gonna have a tough time. Then again times are different.

PS4 will do just fine. Xbox One will sell, but I can see it barely selling half of what is on the PS4. PC will make up a healthy portion when it is eventually released. Steam Sales should help as well.

Playing the demo right now and I don't think this is going to do them many favors in terms of bringing in a new audience.

I'm really sad that it doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Was hoping they'd go back to the old style, guess it's never going to happen.

Ivan 3414

X didn't even get close to 10 million. VII just barely hit it. The reception for this better be outstanding. I think only with extremely good word of mouth is this even remotely possible.

Mind you those games came out 15 and 20 years ago, respectively

Which is to say, the gaming landscape has changed tremendously and only people with tunnel vision should use X and VII's sales as a barometer for XV's sales.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah, while I enjoyed it, Demos don't really do any game favors in my opinion.

I mean I actually enjoyed it more then I thought given some of the comments I've read, but the gameplay and controls certainly need refining.

But more then that it is a demo that I am not sure who it is trying to appeal too?

A kid being guided by a magical unicorn dog trying to find his safe place. Not sure that is going to grab the attention of too many market demographics IMO.

I mean I actually enjoyed it more then I thought given some of the comments I've read, but the gameplay and controls certainly need refining.

But more then that it is a demo that I am not sure who it is trying to appeal too?

A kid being guided by a magical unicorn dog trying to find his safe place. Not sure that is going to grab the attention of too many market demographics IMO.
I think it's trying to grab non FF fans, maybe KH fans. Definitely feels like it's trying to be KH there even if the controls aren't good

The demo was fine. I enjoyed it.

It's just kinda all over the place. It's a demo, it's a separate story that won't be in the game, it's a magical dream. I'm sure there is someone who has done research regarding a demo's effect on sales.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good luck on that one... But they should be fine as long as it sells +5 million. Thanks to the mobile game money they depend less on console sales nowadays anyway.

Kill3r7

Good luck on that one... But they should be fine as long as it sells +5 million. Thanks to the mobile game money they depend less on console sales nowadays anyway.

Then why bother spending money on AAA games if you are not going to make money?

BumRush

People comparing to VII and X...both of those games were released on one platform each, 15+ years ago. Things have changed. The landscape has changed. Marketing has changed.

Will it do 10M? I'm really not sure. But using a PS1 game as the barometer is not the best indicator of what XV will do.

DeathPeak

Well, good luck with that. For what it's worth, it is the first Final Fantasy that I'm not interested in. Should be a good sign for a lot of sales.

And for some, it's the first FF they've really been interested in, in years. Myself included. I haven't really been this excited for an FF since X's announcement.

Jonm1010

Banned
I think it's trying to grab non FF fans, maybe KH fans. Definitely feels like it's trying to be KH there even if the controls aren't good

Then this is an odd direction to go about it is my point.

Their success is gonna live or die by if they can maximize the old user base that has been somewhat disillusioned and bring in a lot of gamers outside of FF user base to hit 10 mil. A user base thats average age is in their thirties and has so far gravitated to more mature titles when looking to single player games.

This isnt really aimed at either TBH. Add this to the pile of things I am baffled by with S/E at the moment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
But don't all FFs succeed if they reach 10m?

The real question is how much do they need to break even?

A.E Suggs

First they add girly boys and no females as party members and they expect that much? If this fails will we even get FFVII-R or hell even dragon quest XI?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Then why bother spending money on AAA games if you are not going to make money?
They are likely making money on most of their releases.... FFXV is a very special case though. They probably will be happy enough if it sells less (6-7m)but gets good reviews...at least enough to put the IP back on the map.

Isn't Sony and SE pushing this throughout Asia? Feels like many here are to isolated and ignored the ROTW instead of seeing just how large that potential* market is. But admittedly 10m seems to steep.

*I hate the use of potential market.

Asia is a tough place to make AAA numbers. Poor currencies make games prohibitively expensive and foster a culture of piracy. When I was working in Malaysia, a single PS3 game was generally around RM180 to 250, which could be between 5-10% of an average 20 to 30 year old's monthly income.

Places like Singapore have stronger buying power and consumer culture, but simply don't have the population size to be a reliable international market.

I think if this bombs relative to what they need to break even or keep the machine of big budget S/E running, it is a legitimate concern.
Its really not a legitimate concern at all. Square is not going under if this doesn't reach 10 mil. They are not cancelling their biggest Japanese franchise because this doesn't reach 10 mil.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Asia is a tough place to make AAA numbers. Poor currencies make games prohibitively expensive and foster a culture of piracy. When I was working in Malaysia, a single PS3 game was generally around RM180 to 250, which could be between 5-10% of an average 20 to 30 year old's monthly income.

Places like Singapore have stronger buying power and consumer culture, but simply don't have the population size to be a reliable international market.

I believe for the entire SEA, they market it minimally but make it easily available in the major countries (Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam) and consolidate this as one region. It's not as big as Japan, NA, and EU but they're an important and developing market.

Don't forget that these countries have big middle classes and the middle classes can definitely afford buying a PS4 and a PS4 game.

Jonm1010

Banned
Its really not a legitimate concern at all. Square is not going under if this doesn't reach 10 mil. They are not cancelling their biggest Japanese franchise because this doesn't reach 10 mil.

If this bombs like I said, not just slightly underperforms, I absolutely guarantee they will be re-structuring their long term strategy and making major adjustments. Their upper management would be thrown out on their asses if their major tent pole bombs horribly and they do nothing. And out of that there is always the probability of them taking away the wrong lessons.

Fair point. My 3 and 5 year old loved the little Noctis part. But their gaming budget is $0.00.

It could sell a million in Japan, right?
In EU I think it could do 3 million.
In US I also think it could do 3 million. Particularly if there are good XBO/PS4 console + game bundles. Perhaps with a limited edition console at the right price).

That's 7 million. Thats MGS4 territory.

It's not gonna sell 3 mill on Steam, which means it has to do exceptionally well on consoles. Which begs the question; how much advertisement are they throwing behind this?

And if the game gets univeral good critical reception then maybe it will gain long term momentum. There seems to have been a continued interest in the Witcher 3 for example due to all the positive reception.

Yep, best FF in ages.

Not sadly either, genuinely a good MMORPG.

Sucks that the rest of the series has turned to shite though.
It could sell a million in Japan, right?
In EU I think it could do 3 million.
In US I also think it could do 3 million. Particularly if there are good XBO/PS4 console + game bundles. Perhaps with a limited edition console at the right price).

That's 7 million. Thats MGS4 territory.

It's not gonna sell 3 mill on Steam, which means it has to do exceptionally well on consoles. Which begs the question; how much advertisement are they throwing behind this?

And if the game gets univeral good critical reception then maybe it will gain long term momentum. There seems to have been a continued interest in the Witcher 3 for example due to all the positive reception.
Maybe could surpass that in Japan even.

I think EU and NA 3 million each is pretty optimistic though, we'll see I guess.

I'm predicting 5 million within 2 years.

If this bombs like I said, not just slightly underperforms, I absolutely guarantee they will be re-structuring their long term strategy and making major adjustments. Their upper management would be thrown out on their asses if their major tent pole bombs horribly and they do nothing. And out of that there is always the probability of them taking away the wrong lessons.

The thing is: it's not going to bomb. Good or bad, XV is going to be a BIG deal come late Sept. S-E's marketing will make damn sure of it.
Will it push 10m units in its lifetime? I'd be surprised... but it's certainly not going to 'bomb'.

The thing is: it's not going to bomb. Good or bad, XV is going to be a BIG deal come late Sept. S-E's marketing will make damn sure of it.
Will it push 10m units in its lifetime? I'd be surprised... but it's certainly not going to 'bomb'.
Definitely not going to bomb in the sense that it would kill off their other franchises. Whether it makes the 10 mil or not tho of course square is going to look at development different after its over, who would want to go thru that again lol. Like i said at minimum i predict 7 mil lifetime..minimum

Top Bottom