• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

Intru

I don't understand why people aren't as kind to FFXV as they are to FFXIV. Filler quests and imbalanced sexualized female character designs are worse in FFXIV and those are two of the biggest complaints I've heard of FFXV. I won't even touch the subject on combat and how it feels as a player. MMORPGs have a double standard, but people should acknowledge that if they are going to compare them to single player games.

For an MMO, FF14's combat is excellent at level cap. It has some amazing class design, and everything I've played is fun and feels good mechanically. (just my opinion anyway...)

Before you have your level 50-60 abilities though? Yeah it's a total slog, and it's really unfortunate because it turns people off of the game before they can reach that point.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is that a mode where you collect useless garbage with Noctis until his friends decide he needs an intervention?

no that's booker in regards to bioshock infinite's ludonarrative dissonance.

I'm talking about fighting waves upon waves of monsters, each waver stronger than the last, until you fight a big boss type monster at the end. Doing that with friends...OMG

Terrified for the story now. They can't have screwed it up after so long right?

Specifically because its been so long and the journey so tumultuous, things have been screwed up. But even then..its not objectively the worst story ever told, especially compared to the lightning trilogy. Its just disjointed and hollowed out.

Besides the FF14 community, easily the best thing about that game is the damn music. So good.

Agreed. The Primal themes are consistently outstanding. Nevermind being the best FF soundtrack, it's probably the best video game soundtrack ever produced. Hell, the Shiva fight somehow managed to make j-rock good.

Manu

no that's booker in regards to bioshock infinite's ludonarrative dissonance.

I'm talking about fighting waves upon waves of monsters, each waver stronger than the last, until you fight a big boss type monster at the end. Doing that with friends...OMG.

I know.
The word is "horde." :p

psyfi

Banned
Not bad! I have very little interest in this game, the sloppy looking action and all male cast really turn me off, but if it gets a good reception I'll definitely give it a shot.

Nicko

While I think your stance is extreme, I can appreciate your commitment to it. I've definitely avoided playing things that are overly sexualized because I know my wife would find them distasteful (I frankly do too, but given that I've seen so much of it over my history of playing games, I can give thinks a strong eye-roll and move beyond them). I really don't want to play a game full of unnecessary T&A, because I know I won't enjoy it, and it'll ultimately reflect poorly on my taste in video games to my wife. It's the same reason I avoid most anime (Besides the fact that I think a lot of it is just plain awful). I might want to enjoy some sort of mecha show, but it's hard to watch it when a lot of female characters are just high-pitched voices with enormous breasts attached.

I appreciate your post. Honestly, I feel like the extreme sexualization and T&A we see in games calls for extreme measures. The only way I feel like things will ever change is for people to stand up and vote with their wallets. That's the clearest message you can send.

Good on you for standing up too! I skip most anime for the same reasons as well.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I appreciate your post. Honestly, I feel like the extreme sexualization and T&A we see in games calls for extreme measures. The only way I feel like things will ever change is for people to stand up and vote with their wallets. That's the clearest message you can send.

It won't happen as long as there are people who are fine with T&A in games and just don't pick up those they find offensive on an individual basis. I count myself as one of those folks who are not really against sexualization as long as it is not overdone and without a real purpose.

Of course this sends a signal to manufacturers that its acceptable, but i guess that kind of thinking is part of the problem you see.

Something like Cidney for example put off alarm bells in my head, because the way they had advertised her was just as a piece of meat to be oogled for DLC pinup purposes and she generally has no real point in the story besides her outfit being eye candy.

gamekult nail it for me

what ff15 keeps from versus XVIII is being versus of ffXIII :
empty open world at the beginning and mess linear linear in the end.

will still buy if it comes on pc but i'm sure it's not a 'great' game (the demos were already obvious about this)

Have you actually played the game? Seems odd to say 1 review nailed it for you without the personal experience of playing through it.

Falchion

I haven't played a Final Fantasy since X but these reviews, specifically the open world and the combat system, are making me really want to play this. Maybe after I beat Witcher 3 and Skyrim I'll get this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm pleased with the results. Went to bed a little pessimistic about what the scores would be, and woke up to this result feeling like notBadObama.jpg.

About to head to the final dungeon and I strongly feel that these scores are inflated...just like FFXIII's were...but I'm a harsher critic than most, especially concerning narrative.

There are some exceptionally high highs, though, and it's definitely worth playing.

This is where I'm sitting right now.

Raziel

Nonsense. Everyone knows scores for AAA games are around 5 points lower on metacritic this gen. The review sites got tougher and we no longer have 9.5 AAA games every month

Has it been conclusively proven that there are just as many great games as last gen and they are simply being subject to harsher standards rather than simply a lesser amount of great games this gen deseving of higher scores?

Ozium

Has it been conclusively proven that there are just as many great games as last gen and they are simply being subject to harsher standards rather than simply a lesser amount of great games this gen deseving of higher scores?

no, and someone even posted earlier in the thread that mentioned a study that showed the opposite: that scores are higher on average now than five years ago

wish he would post a link or something.. not that it would change this narrative which people parrot

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm guessing because you have friends in xiv and not other MMOs? I found xiv mechanics to be very mmo. I would not sell the xiv to people as being non-mmo-y like ESO.
Even when I played at launch by myself I was still having a blast.

Despite me not wanting to get it because of an apparently lackluster story, this is all very exciting that it's getting good reception. I might cave if it's still loved after the honeymoon phase is over.

Isn't it too late for people to join in now? It's the only thing holding me back to be honest.

I don't think so. There's a ton of content but it's not like getting into WoW now where the progression is really weird because a new character starts during Cataclysm...goes back to The Burning Crusade and so on. Also because they changed how XP works in dungeons (unless i'm imagining it) you still get people queuing for lower level dungeons to help people out.

Rappy

There is nothing close to FFXV combat. Honestly the closest I could say would maybe be like Arkham Asylum between the parries and warp points but that doesn't really make sense either.

Its not anywhere close in quality to an action game, not even in the same stratosphere. Its more like Arkham asylum with team attacks, but even that's not really close to describing it.

As i said, its still much better and more reactionary than most western RPG combat
I've still only played the Judgment Disc demo, but I don't necessarily agree with saying nothing close to it. At least, in terms with enemy behavior and movesets. Monsters feel a lot like Monster Hunter to me. Bandersnatch's moveset/animations is pretty much just a Deviljho with a Gravios gas attack. Midgardsormr is so much like a Najarala with some different ranged attacks from what I've seen in demo vids. Each of the weapons had their own uniqueness just as in MH, Souls, or DD with their own animation speed/commitment. Of course, the homing/lockon, the magic, party members, warpstrike, and mechanics added as a whole all make things more unique to only FFXV.

HMD

I don't think so. There's a ton of content but it's not like getting into WoW now where the progression is really weird because a new character starts during Cataclysm...goes back to The Burning Crusade and so on. Also because they changed how XP works in dungeons (unless i'm imagining it) you still get people queuing for lower level dungeons to help people out.

I guess solo-ing the story missions isn't an option?

Top Bottom