• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Switch hinted

Which is it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Golnei

XII would be better

A timely port of XII HD would have been a fantastic low-risk project for the Switch - it'd have filled a gap in the system's lineup; coming far enough after Zelda to not be diminished by it, and before Xenoblade 2's release. It's still a current release for S-E's flagship series, but not one that would have to undergo much of a revision to run on the Switch specification-wise. And it's also more likely to be a new title for the Nintendo-only portion of Switch owners, while still using a (sub)genre and general aesthetic that has proven appeal to them.

open the mouth.

Also Gladio's legs.

:eek:

Carlisle

Man I hope its the full console version. Pocket Edition makes the most sense of course, but it wouldn't be impossible to get the full version running on it. 540p, gfx sliders moved down a bit, and 20 fps, and it could be done. Probably even with better settings than that. And the doors it would open for full 3rd party ports on Switch by other devs would be immense. Nintendo should do whatever it can to ensure it's the full version getting ported for that alone.

This would be the biggest third party title on Switch thus far, wouldn't it? If the port was up to snuff and sold well, this could really open up some doors for the platform's third party titles.

Fingers crossed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Pocket version would be such an insult tbh.

I'd love a full port. Game is fun. I

120v

But really who wants to play a downgraded version of an old and bad game?

Weird port to be honest. If they want to release FF games on Switch they should start with remaster and remakes.

while i don't think it's a bad game i don't think the demand is worth the masochism probably required porting the original FFXV. maybe a GOTY version for Switch 2 or something

This would be the biggest third party title on Switch thus far, wouldn't it? If the port was up to snuff and sold well, this could really open up some doors for the platform's third party titles.

Fingers crossed.

Depends on what you mean by biggest, because FIFA and Minecraft are likely more important to have and bigger in terms of sales. It would probably be the most technically demanding though.

EDIT:
No. Minecraft, FIFA, and Skyrim are bigger. Yes, Skyrim. GAF is sleeping on how successful it's going to be on Switch.

Ah forgot about Skryim, that too for sure will be bigger.

Fingers crossed.

No. Minecraft, FIFA, and Skyrim are bigger. Yes, Skyrim. GAF is sleeping on how successful it's going to be on Switch.

No way could Switch run FFXV, at least not without quite a significant downgrade, which if you have to go through with that, what would be the point and would it really be FFXV anymore.
I'm guessing a FFXV spin off game? I reckon most likely it'll be pocket edition.

Make charactermodels more simplified and cleaner, i don't want to see every hair or pore anyway.. I don't think the graphics are a big problem, the problem is that it's not a good Final Fantasy and the story probably won't be better on Switch.

So i would hope they make a prequel, sequel, spinnoff (not the ios chibi version) etc. thats better than the maingame. Fuck realistic graphics i want a good FF :(

conpfreak

The way they are porting and expanding this game is worst then the FFXIII days. I'd rather them move on to a sequel than to run this incomplete game into the ground. No matter how many times they port it, post Chapter 9 is still bad and problematic story and world building cannot be fixed without a full remake. I'd like them to move on and perhaps bring a sequel or spinoff to the Switch as a included platform. The base game simply isn't good enough to warrant this treatment.

KupoNut

I think a PS4-level version of FFXV on Switch would be really difficult, if not impossible.

However, it could be that the pocket edition of FFXV is really good and then it would be right at home on Switch, and amongst players who probably liked Bravely Default and the FFIII/FFIV DS versions. Maybe we should wait until we see more of the Pocket Edition?

F4r0_Atak

Pretty sure the PS4/XB1 versions were around 50GBs, that is still a gross size for a PC game, but the Switch should be able to get away with a 64GB cartridge, even if some DLC comes with the game.

As for compromises for a switch version, yeah it will definitely run at a lower setting, but I expect the PC version will run on lower end hardware, so it will almost certainly be fine. If it runs on intel integrated graphics for instance, well switch out performs that.

On the PS4 alone, with all the updates... the game was sitting at about 61GB. If they are to release the game on Switch, I wonder how they would change the game' looks to accommodate the systems' specs... unless it's the Pocket Edition they are releasing.

PS4 and Xbox One already struggled with FFXV regarding the game's rendering and lighting systems when the game launched. Sure the updates did improve the performances on both, but Switch will most likely struggle the most out of the three.

LAA

But really who wants to play a downgraded version of an old and bad game?

Weird port to be honest. If they want to release FF games on Switch they should start with remaster and remakes.

While I don't agree with bad and "old" is just wrong, similar question.
I just can't imagine FFXV on switch being remotely similar to the existing console versions, which raises the question of who'd want it in that form, which I doubt SE would even consider investing the effort into making that happen. I am interested what they want to put on switch but really I can just imagine it being a "definitive" version of the pocket edition.
Though I feel the same about Pocket edition in general, can't see most core players wanting to play the game again in that form, and not sure casuals would be interested in it just for having Final Fantasy in the name.

Zedark

On the PS4 alone, with all the updates... the game was sitting at about 61GB. If they are to release the game on Switch, I wonder how they would change the game' looks to accommodate the systems' specs... unless it's the Pocket Edition they are releasing.

PS4 and Xbox One already struggled with FFXV regarding the game's rendering and lighting systems when the game launched. Sure the updates did improve the performances on both, but Switch will most likely struggle the most out of the three.
Obviously Switch will struggle to run it, it's decently weaker than the XB1. Still, the combination of a cleaned-up Luminous engine along with visual downgrades might just get the job done. In any case, I would happy accept a low-res full version of the game if that means it is now portable.

I think a PS4-level version of FFXV on Switch would be really difficult, if not impossible.

I don't think so, the game dosn't look that good on PS4, if they make simplified character models and tone the graphics down a bit and rework lighting etc. it would look good enough on handheld and good enough on TV (it has to compete with other Switch games not PS 4 games). But they would have to rework it a bit that it doesn't look bad.

If they manage to bring a good version of DQ 11 to Switch FF 15 shouldn't be impossible, if they manage to port the engine.

I would prefer another game in the same universe, if it has to be that universe. There would be certainly some interesting stories to tell (Ifrit, the Versus Part etc. ) and they could do it with Unreal Engine 4.

No matter how good Square Enix's coders are, I don't think the PS4/Bone version of the game can be ported to Nintentod's latest console.
Some thing will be changed and others will be cut in this tranposition.

daveo42

Banned
While I think it would be a port of the pocket version, I wouldn't put it past SE to build another version of FFXV just for Switch somewhere in the middle.

KtSlime

While I don't agree with bad and "old" is just wrong, similar question.
I just can't imagine FFXV on switch being remotely similar to the existing console versions, which raises the question of who'd want it in that form, which I doubt SE would even consider investing the effort into making that happen. I am interested what they want to put on switch but really I can just imagine it being a "definitive" version of the pocket edition.
Though I feel the same about Pocket edition in general, can't see most core players wanting to play the game again in that form, and not sure casuals would be interested in it just for having Final Fantasy in the name.

It should not be overlooked that there is an archipelago in the Pacific who's inhabitants just happen to like cute chibi characters, have the strongest smartphone game market, and consider FF a rather casual series.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of think it will be something between pocket version and ps4 version of FFXV..so I can't vote.

but still, I'd double dip for a jrpg on the switch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I kind of think it will be something between pocket version and ps4 version of FFXV..so I can't vote.

but still, I'd double dip for a jrpg on the switch.

Me too
That inverted funnel graph make me think about switch being in between

J@hranimo

Banned
Please not the pocket version.

In all honesty it will probably be a lower settings version of how the game ran on the XB1 (720p docked and undocked, 30fps, shadows and textures dumbed down, etc.)

but still would not be surprised if they pulled a fast one a put out the Pocket Edition :p

I don't think so, the game dosn't look that good on PS4, if they make simplified character models and tone the graphics down a bit and rework lighting etc. it would look good enough on handheld and good enough on TV (it has to compete with other Switch games not PS 4 games). But they would have to rework it a bit that it doesn't look bad.

If they manage to bring a good version of DQ 11 to Switch FF 15 shouldn't be impossible, if they manage to port the engine.

I would prefer another game in the same universe, if it has to be that universe. There would be certainly some interesting stories to tell (Ifrit, the Versus Part etc. ) and they could do it with Unreal Engine 4.

The game looks amazing on PS4. The open world is really beautiful. I think the downgrades would be huge on Switch.

F4r0_Atak

Unless they already ported the engine to Switch (which I sincerely doubt), I don't see the original FFXV to be brought to Switch anytime soon.

Malyse

I would kill for a port of the FF13 trilogy on Switch. I would love to replay those on the go.

I would probably play Pocket Edition on Switch.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel I should leave this Square Enix statement from September 2016 here: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2016en.pdf

Square Enix said:
1) Enhancing our offering of premium apps for smart devices

Currently, the global market for smart device games is dominated by F2P (free to play) games, and the
market for premium games that players pay to purchase is practically nonexistent. However, our Group
has for some time been offering premium games for smart devices, including brand new titles. When
viewed across the Group, these offerings represent a considerable volume of earnings.

F2P games have achieved remarkable growth thanks to their massive download numbers and
significant active user bases that generate fee revenues. Many companies entered the market
because of the perception that F2P games cost less to develop than traditional console games while
also offering the potential for significant earnings. As a result, the market as a whole saw major growth,
but competition reached excessive levels. Meanwhile, marked advancements were made in smart
device performance, and consumers of F2P games grew more demanding. As such, the market
ceased to provide major returns for low-budget development.

However, the picture for premium games is different. Initial development costs for both F2P and
premium games are roughly the same as or even higher than those for new games for dedicated
handheld game machines.
In other words, the level of investment required cannot be considered low
risk. The risk involved in F2P games is even higher than for premium games because of the need to
spend on ongoing operational and additional development efforts.

F2P games generate massive download numbers because basic play is free. They thereby
establish significant active user bases and present major earnings potential. Premium games, meanwhile,
offer the advantage of generating purchases over a long period of time after their initial development
costs have been fully depreciated.

Premium games naturally need to be modified to keep pace with frequent OS updates and require
ongoing marketing spending to generate user awareness. However, smart devices still provide a
better platform for playing greatly loved games for many years than dedicated game consoles do
because of the latter’s issues with backward compatibility.

Continuing the comparison with dedicated handheld game machines, we note that significant
advances have been made in both the specs and operability of smart devices and that this evolution
is likely to continue unabated. Moreover, smart devices have a much greater installed base globally
than dedicated handheld game machines. The smartphone-native generation already sees smart
devices as all-in-one game consoles.

For these reasons, it makes sense for game manufacturers such as ourselves to supply
games that we have traditionally developed for dedicated handheld game machines not only for
such consoles but also for multipurpose smart devices.

We believe that the operability of smart devices makes them a good match for turn- and
simulation-based RPGs, among other games. We see turn-based RPGs as a style or format of
game and do not believe them to be outdated at all. The development of such RPGs is something
that our Group has exceled at for some time.

By releasing new RPGs not only for dedicated handheld game machines but also for smart
devices, we hope to develop the premium game market into a pillar of our business on a par with
the F2P market. In so doing, we believe that we can enrich the portable game market in the
broader sense in order to respond to a variety of customer needs.

Honestly, the people who are against it being based on the pocket version come off as a bit silly. We've just a release of a Triple A jRPG on both 3DS and PS4 and the pocket version of that is fab.

Remove the boyband models out of FFXV and you get a game I'd love to play on Switch. An expanded pocket version for Switch would boil down to a FF in the classic style of the series.

I feel I should leave this Square Enix statement from September 2016 here: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/ar_2016en.pdf

By releasing new RPGs not only for dedicated handheld game machines but also for smart
devices, we hope to develop the premium game market into a pillar of our business on a par with
the F2P market. In so doing, we believe that we can enrich the portable game market in the
broader sense in order to respond to a variety of customer needs.
Nirolak has cracked the code. I highly doubt they have developed a Smartphone version of FFXV just to skip handheld. It feels like a DQXI situation here.

Ex-Psych

If it was the Pocket Edition, why wasn't the version announced alongside it when the game was revealed?

Makes no sense to me for them to be keeping it a secret.

I'm leaning more into downgraded port or another unknown spin-off.

FinalAres

That's super interesting, because we've not seen a premium title from SE for quite a while, whereas we have seen a number of F2P titles. Its encouraging that at least a year ago SE hadn't actually abandoned that model which I really like! Obviously FFXV Pocket Edition is further proof of this.

Its also interesting that they see mobile as the solution to backwards comparability. We know that backwards compatibility and the availability of their games are concerns to them. I wonder if the reason we've not seen more heritage games on PS4 is because they don't have faith in future backwards compatibility efforts from Sony...

Is this possible? Not trolling, just curious.

Sure it's possible. It would just require Nintendo being willing to put one together for a specific game which they probably don't have a lot of indication as to how well it'd sell on their platform. Also either they or SE willing to accept a smaller profit margin to actually get the game on shelves.

Macka

It better not be the Pocket Edition.

Putting that on there over the recent FFXII remaster (or even X & X-2) would be ridiculous.

Top Bottom