• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

On the topic of a road trip JRPG, would you folks expect the plot to conjure up plenty of reasons to leave/abandon the actual vehicle? I'm very interested to know how this will work without repeated "oh no the car has broken down/this area is only passable on foot" scenarios.
Definitely. With RPGs or at least adventure games that have vehicle control like this there have always been moments where there area repeated areas that you can only traverse by foot.

I can definitely imagine a scenario where the car breaks down too, like during/after some sort of a chase that happens.

I'd love to believe that there's more than one female character in this game...

...but nah that's totally Stella
There are, breh. I remember seeing a dark haired girl in one of the recent promotional shots...

This game can still win me if in future trailers they reveal new playable characters (hopefully not looking like jpop guys) and a little more about the world in the game, so we can understand why it's so contrasted.

I think I just realized how early in the development stage this game if, regardless of the year it was originally anounced.

Edited. I definitely should focus on mastering the language before trying to make jokes.

Dude, what the hell is your problem? Nice that you changed the word.

StuBurns

Banned
On the topic of a road trip JRPG, would you folks expect the plot to conjure up plenty of reasons to leave/abandon the actual vehicle? I'm very interested to know how this will work without repeated "oh no the car has broken down/this area is only passable on foot" scenarios.
I'm more interested on how the roadtrip thing works with one of you being a prince. Nomura talked about how we all have memories of hanging out with friends in college or whatever, but how many of us did that with princes? It seems like it'd be a big deal to have the prince visit your town. And what about money? Are we going to be collecting 70gil from chests when we already rule a Kingdom?

Holy fuck. I saw this thread earlier while I was at work and assumed it was just some over-hype. Just watched it, and it was amazing.

Really like the setting & characters so far. I'm a little concerned that the fighting is going to be very clunky based on that footage. In any case, day one - give it to me now etc.

frostshade

Neo Member
So, is it just me or did Square spoil like more than half the story already possibly all of it? "I can see the ending."

Also, Stella vs. Noctis one on one final boss fight plz. Ties well with the Romeo and Juliet thematic influence.

Gbraga

I'm more interested on how the roadtrip thing works with one of you being a prince. Nomura talked about how we all have memories of hanging out with friends in college or whatever, but how many of us did that with princes? It seems like it'd be a big deal to have the prince visit your town. And what about money? Are we going to be collecting 70gil from chests when we already rule a Kingdom?

About money, if you have to run away from your kingdom when E3 2013 happens, you might not have time to bring some cash with you :p

Exentryk

Not much to analyse in the trailer, but a few points:

- Few new monsters: Adamantoise, Goblin, Garulas, Brachosaur (?).
- Car's licence place reads "INSOMNIA RHS-113 The Royal Capital".
- New character name - Luna
- New location name - Altissia
- Attacks felt more weighty, and heavy weapon use felt slow while light weapons were faster.
- Low health affects your character movement.
- The command menu is hidden throughout the trailer. Still not finalised?
- Idola Eldercapt is now Iedolas Aldercapt.

The demo area looks fairly expansive, and warping around there should be fun. Also looking forward to experiencing the battle system, and the demo will really force SE to finalise it.

Bx0eh0WCQAAcX20.jpg

r858QnA.jpg

We are seeing a lot of footage of the car but I wonder if Nomura stuck to his word on the whole Airship thing or if he decided to go with only the car.

Yeah, there's the other female. She has a birthmark and she's the 4th from the right.

As far as whether the blonde in the trailer is Stella or not, I think she is. She just has a different hairstyle which will probably settle down when she's in battle.

Slowdive

Banned
I do not want to go cross-country with that blond.

Have they mentioned whether or not you can switch party members?

According to a Famitsu editor, you still can.

(Google translate)

The name "Episode Duscae" is confirmed and is derived from a particular event.
- The playing time will not be the scene of Leviathan but an advanced area of the game.
- The scenario will be a forest / grassland green.
- You will have full control of Noctis and two other heroes.
- The demo will have an average duration similar to that seen with that of FF XIII.
- There is no mention of retail version at the time (limited edition will ?!) but DD, always with date to be determined.

http://forum.spaziogames.it/board/t...PENING-TBA?p=22313785&viewfull=1#post22313785

Oppo

Finally got around to watching this. Thoughts:

I'm glad the darker theme survived

This trailer shows fairly incredible combat systems

This trailer is very impressive graphically

This trailer is confusing as fuck and unbelievably poorly edited - why does it keep cutting back to nonsensical chatter in the car? A bath, really?

I am intrigued

Edit - lol at that character slice graphic above... The female has no pores

Famassu

This game can still win me if in future trailers they reveal new playable characters (hopefully not looking like jpop guys) and a little more about the world in the game, so we can understand why it's so contrasted.

I think I just realized how early in the development stage this game if, regardless of the year it was originally anounced.

Edited. I definitely should focus on mastering the language before trying to make jokes.
I don't understand what's so "contrasted" about the world. It's a modern day setting. It has cities that are inspired by modern day Tokyo & Venice. Then there's the world outside the cities that has wildlife and vast open fields and forests. Then they mix a bit of fantasy in there (strange creatures, mountainsized enemies, astral shards in flames, completely unrealistic city arcitechture)

Matriox

No buy unless there are megalocrabs.

Related, I just dont feel like they should call it Final Fantasy anymore, I don't know, its not like the story is related (to my knowledge?) to other FF games, and now the gameplay doesn't either? (I am also under the impression the MMO's shouldn't have been numbered FF games). What is the defining factor that makes them a Final Fantasy game without turn based combat?

(EDIT: To rephrase here because of my pitiful attempt: I dont feel like this is a main numbered Final Fantasy game due to the fact this will be the first entry outside of the MMO's that aren't turn based.)

I don't care how they put together the world, but I hope it's more coherent than FFXIII. The various areas did not appear to have any real relation to one another at all, and often came up as a series of very pretty but arbitrary zones.

One of my main complaints with XIII's world. There seemed to be zero cohesion (especially in Cocoon) between areas. A lot of the time I couldn't get a "bearing" of where I was in Cocoon, because I had trouble grasping the layout and actual geography of the land.

AgeEighty

Yeah, It's been described as a road trip like game for years now. The combat has always been described as KH style and from the trailer, that seems to be intact although a bit slower. Turn based combat is fine but I definitely love Action RPG's just as much.

I honestly hadn't been paying a whole lot of attention. FF used to be one of my favorite series, but I haven't really enjoyed the direction they've taken it in over the past decade. I loved FFIX, liked FFX OK, didn't enjoy or finish XII, and never even seriously considered purchasing XIII.

And in a lot of ways, this game appears to share a lot of what I didn't enjoy about the recent titles. But I'm loving the vibe of that trailer.

FryHole

Definitely. With RPGs or at least adventure games that have vehicle control like this there have always been moments where there area repeated areas that you can only traverse by foot.

I can definitely imagine a scenario where the car breaks down too, like during/after some sort of a chase that happens.

There are, breh. I remember seeing a dark haired girl in one of the recent promotional shots...

Yeah, and it's actually a pretty good way to introduce some actual ebb and flow to the pace of the story. Car breaks down near abandoned building, decide to stay there overnight - good spot for some backstory, flashbacks or character development, or a setpiece wherein some pursuers catch up with you. Intersperse such segments with much quicker 'progress' bits in the vehicles and it'd have a nice rhythm to it.

StuBurns

Banned
About money, if you have to run away from your kingdom when E3 2013 happens, you might not have time to bring some cash with you :p
But they're not running away, are they?

This trailer includes a radio broadcast with them talking about negotiations between the warring families. I think the game jumps a considerable amount of time. I think we get the start, when you meet Stella, and the attack happens, then they've reached peace again, and you're on this roadtrip with your friends. It certainly always gives the sense of being carefree, not on the run.

Famassu

This trailer is confusing as fuck and unbelievably poorly edited - why does it keep cutting back to nonsensical chatter in the car? A bath, really?
To give a sense of the road movie like nature of the game. So far they've mostly shown city gameplay. Fighting in city, giant Leviathans summoned to attack a city etc. This trailer shows what happens outside of it. The story takes influence from road movies where the story happens around the characters while they are travelling on the road. Part of that is the banter between the main characters.

Ito

I don't understand what's so "contrasted" about the world. It's a modern day setting. It has cities that are inspired by modern day Tokyo & Venice. Then there's the world outside the cities that has wildlife and vast open fields and forests. Then they mix a bit of fantasy in there (strange creatures, mountainsized enemies, astral shards in flames, completely unrealistic city arcitechture)

I guess I'm not used to see this kind of characters with the realistic attire and realistic cars in a fantasy setting. That's why I was saying that I need to see more of this world.

Oppo

Also if any of you are plugged into Japanese video game culture (I'm not an expert), I would be curious to hear some thoughts about how this game is being received. I often read that Japanese players are "waiting on FF" to see if they'll buy a home console.

ConceptX

Do we know who Amano's logo is based off?

The goddess of death Etro? Or someone else?

I know Stella was named as a protagonist, but not THE protagonist as far as I know, SE usually make the "bad guy" very obvious, and seem to have done well this time making it more up for discussion.

Obviously it has family/empire/XvsY themes, but at the end, there is always the big baddie, the "last boss", do we have any speculation or seen any hints of that?

I was mostly joking because obviously there'd be more than one woman, but I had totally forgotten about black hair lady

thanks
Haha, whoops. No prob!

Related, I just dont feel like they should call it Final Fantasy anymore, I don't know, its not like the story is related (to my knowledge?) to other FF games, and now the gameplay doesn't either? (I am also under the impression the MMO's shouldn't have been numbered FF games). What is the defining factor that makes them a Final Fantasy game without turn based combat?
It still has monsters connected to the Final Fantasy lore. No doubt certain magic abilities will also connect to the abilities already established.

As far as the gameplay goes, at its core, its still an RPG. Just more action than the other FF's.

Yeah, and it's actually a pretty good way to introduce some actual ebb and flow to the pace of the story. Car breaks down near abandoned building, decide to stay there overnight - good spot for some backstory, flashbacks or character development, or a setpiece wherein some pursuers catch up with you. Intersperse such segments with much quicker 'progress' bits in the vehicles and it'd have a nice rhythm to it.
I agree completely. Man, the setting is going to make everything look so beautiful. From a big modern city setting to a more fantasy setting out in the countryside with large beasts walking about while still in a modern car. The clash in theme is so good...

Dark_castle

We should care but it's been quoted enough to be plenty visible to the mods. It'll be dealt with or not, their decision. Continuing to respond just derails the thread.

Cosmo Canyon? lol

Anyway, I think it's your choice if you want to walk/run and have a better control on sight seeing, doing secret quests, finding treasure chest, exploring hidden places, or reaching your destination quicker with a car, chocobo for smaller but long area and hopefully airship later on for air exploration.

injurai

Banned

I know Stella was named as a protagonist, but not THE protagonist as far as I know, SE usually make the "bad guy" very obvious, and seem to have done well this time making it more up for discussion.

Obviously it has family/empire/XvsY themes, but at the end, there is always the big baddie, the "last boss", do we have any speculation or seen any hints of that?

sleeping etro

Gbraga

But they're not running away, are they?

This trailer includes a radio broadcast with them talking about negotiations between the warring families. I think the game jumps a considerable amount of time. I think we get the start, when you meet Stella, and the attack happens, then they've reached peace again, and you're on this roadtrip with your friends. It certainly always gives the sense of being carefree, not on the run.

Hmm, could be. But I believe this is actually before E3 2013, it feels like a roadtrip because it is. Regis is negotiating with that dude (forgot his name now) like they usually do, because they were not anticipating the attack. I believe E3 2013 follows the roadtrip, with them coming home either during the attack (that would mean the Advent Children Complete trailer is no longer relevant) or just before it (they could still fit that scene this way). For the second one to be true, Luna would have to be someone else, though, since Noctis meets Stella at that party.

It would also explain why it looks a bit linear and there is no command/magic menu, being just an intro.

saher

Banned

Its hard to tell now but it looks like Old man could be the main villain who will go crazy at the end of the game and transform into some shit.

The dude with the red hair,Hooded guy and maybe the girl with the black hair are all working with him.

Then there is the other old man too i dont know whats his deal.

Famassu

One of my main complaints with XIII's world. There seemed to be zero cohesion (especially in Cocoon) between areas. A lot of the time I couldn't get a "bearing" of where I was in Cocoon, because I had trouble grasping the layout and actual geography of the land.
That was kind of the point of Cocoon. It was completely artificial so there could be a scrapyard right next to some beautiful residential area which is close to a mechanical forest.

Squire

Banned

He seems incredibly dismissive about his status as royalty.

It'll probably be like FF IX, where he'll travel under the guise of a (well-off) commoner.

dramatis

It's a FFXV thread, at the very least Ducky and Kagari will see the post. There's no need for backseat modding.

We should care but it's been quoted enough to be plenty visible to the mods. It'll be dealt with or not, their decision. Continuing to respond just derails the thread.
What I said to Christhor isn't a statement intended to backseat mod, but rather an objection to his attitude of "Who cares?" I know the mods can do their thing. What I dislike is the "who cares?" throwaway attitude of not caring about poor behavior as long as everyone focuses on talking about what he wants to talk about.

I think most of the gameplay (combat and driving) takes place in one large area in the trailer, just from different locations inside the area. The double stone arches landmark seems to show up everywhere. Although I suppose it is possible that asset is reused in multiple places.

The way teleporting seems to work bothers me a bit, especially since the target reticule appears after a sword has been tossed. The system of teleporting might be a bit automated if you can't target precisely where you want to go, or worse yet only specific points are marked for teleporting destinations.

Also. Can their car even get gas on the go? Or is it solar powered? Is there a hood when it rains? Serious, very, very important questions.

ConceptX

Im expecting a swerve either a betrayal half way through or a death. I see a female cast member joining through that.

There exists a myth in the kingdom of Tenebrae about a goddess of death, the Goddess Etro, who is said to greet the souls of the deceased, and open the door to the afterlife. When the door opens, the released souls burst out in a streak of light that ascends to heaven. Few people are able to see the light, and those who can are given power from the Kingdom of the Dead. Both Noctis and Stella have gained this power, and such power allows them to see and predict the death of individuals.

It would seem death is going to feature prominently, who exactly, no idea, I wonder if all four "bros" will make it to the end.

Also raises the question if that they can predict death, then can they stop it? Delay it? Or do nothing?

Dark_castle

Etro sleeping on the logo.

Noctis is the main protagonist, and as for Stella, it's still a mystery on what role she would play. To me, she gives me the vibe of Celes, a strong "rune knight" female heroin who was in the opposition party, but switch side for the better. She looked like she has a darker past with some sort of near death experience too.

Final_Fantasy_XV_-_Cast.PNG

As for who the bad guy is, we can definitely tell that Idola Eldercapt (Aldercapt?) is one of the villain, but probably not the main one. Then, there's the Assassin Creed guy who looks villainy, and there's the other messy, red-haired dude under the umbrella. Hell we're probably gonna fight Stella at some point.

Matriox

It still has monsters connected to the Final Fantasy lore. No doubt certain magic abilities will also connect to the abilities already established.

As far as the gameplay goes, at its core, its still an RPG. Just more action than the other FF's.

Yeah you're right, that makes some sense there.

Sanpunkan

I'm still bothered by the first zone of the game. Hanging Edge maybe? What exactly was it? Was that green stuff in the sky a layer of trees? What were those pillar structures doing? I love fantasy environments but it just felt so random to me. Pointless almost.

Koozek

What? No Final Fantasy had connections to each other, just cameos/recurring themes. In fact FFXV shares common mythology stuff with FFXIII and Type-0 and also classic FF tropes like chocobos, air-ships and those oldschool monster designs.

Does the fact that you press an assigned button instead of choosing your commands from a list and then clicking on it really make what's Final Fantasy for you? I played all FFs in Active Mode if it was possible, so at that point they weren't "turn-based" either, theoretically, and the only thing differentiating it from FFXV was that I had to select commands in a menu instead of clicking a button.
It makes me mad to hear how turn-based battles are apparently the most important and sole reason why FFs were loved. It doesn't automatically make a game more strategic or difficult. I played so many JRPGs my whole life where you could practically just use normal Attack plus occasional healing for every fight besides the bosses.
I don't want to play the same game for my whole life. I'm happy that FFs are so different every single time. You can't say this about many other game series.

Burt

Haha, "Almost there" followed by "IN DEVELOPMENT". Like that means anything.

Best part about this? Small HUD, small damage numbers.

Top Bottom