• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

this trailer

=

images.jpeg

LOL thats what I was thinking

Damerman

Etro sleeping on the logo.

Noctis is the main protagonist, and as for Stella, it's still a mystery on what role she would play. To me, she gives me the vibe of Celes, a strong "rune knight" female heroin who was in the opposition party, but switch side for the better. She looked like she has a darker past with some sort of near death experience too.

Final_Fantasy_XV_-_Cast.PNG

As for who the bad guy is, we can definitely tell that Idola Eldercapt (Aldercapt?) is one of the villain, but probably not the main one. Then, there's the Assassin Creed guy who looks villainy, and there's the other messy, red-haired dude under the umbrella. Hell we're probably gonna fight Stella at some point.
I'm not seeing the celes comparison. Celes isn't tom boyish per se, but she isn't a pampered girly girl like stella seems to be. Stella is a princess, i'd more compare her to Garnette.

I don't understand how that is confusing. It's a JRPG. JRPGs often have parts where you are in the wilderness fighting enemies and in some games even driving some kind of vehicle. This is a trailer that showcases that part of a JRPG. Then we have the E3 2013 trailer showcasing a more scripted & controlled story event in the game. The only thing we have still to see completely is just normal city gameplay (without huge Leviathans or invading force's soldiers & Behemoths causing havoc)

This is pretty much the only trailer I've seen for the game. I didn't know it was just for a small portion.

Famassu

In a bishonen rank (another clichè) it's supposed to be the less good-looking guy around there. But guess what? He will probably be the smart one (it's not my fault you guys have a thing for dudes with glasses!).

The fun thing about the "fantasy grounded on reality" is:
1) we'll be used to defend any flaws of this game
2) it's supposed to be something new but it's something old around from VIII and in some way from VII
The "fantasy based on reality" tagline just means that the world & story takes a lot of influence from some real-world modern day locations & events. It's not some get out of jail free card for any and all criticism towards the game.

Sanpunkan

In a bishonen rank (another clichè) it's supposed to be the less good-looking guy around there. But guess what? He will probably be the smart one (it's not my fault you guys have a thing for dudes with glasses!).

The fun thing about the "fantasy grounded on reality" is:
1) we'll be used to defend any flaws of this game
2) it's supposed to be something new but it's something old around from VIII and in some way from VII

I always interpreted that term to mean that real-world locations (e.g. Shinjuku and Venice) have been put into the game in some capacity.

But why debate over how the game's theme is labelled? If you're not feeling it, then you're not feeling it. Some people are. I'm just excited for something different than the FFXIII world.

Lucael

- Everything is cliche if you think in the big picture. It's 2014, not 1991. Besides, you mainly only judge them by their appearance and a few quick chatters. Is it really fair?

That's the problem. Characterization (?) seems stuck to mid '90s level, like the all-black dress code.

Usually in FF, for the cliché thing, appearance go along with the personality.

Just to make it clear, I'm not judging the whole game but what I've seen so far in the trailers. I'll be happy if XV surprise me in the end.

This reminds me of the Tomb Raider franchise. While the grahpics keep going up everything else suffers. People still say the original is the best (but oh those dated graphics!)

They keep trying and trying to make the game playable by the lowest common denominator. Slicker, easier, with amazing graphics! And what's funny is while simplifying everything they still go for a mess of a plot. Fal'ci vs the B'Ce in the G'Ci at the M'Ci whatever etc etc etc

FF has become all flashing lights and awesome graphics but lacks real substance. But that's to appeal to the mass market right? Todays gamer. Style over substance.

Really I can get passed it being a sci fi series now. I can get passed the decline in art (but wow those graphics!) and linear gameplay (open world PLEASE) but for the love of God keep the story down to earth.

You know for all it's low techness FF4 and 6 had amazing stories and character development. Rydia couldn't cast fire magic because her village burned. Tellahs daughter dies in a bombing raid. Mnt' Ordeals puts the hero through a trial and he comes out a better man. And jeeze FF6 had so many character arcs it was amazing.

Ive played every FF up till 13 and I got 3 hours in and just couldn't take it anymore. What happened?

When did FF come more about style over substance?

That's it right there. Style over substance. Square , listen to me, stop dumping cash into pretty boy men and massive monsters I'm going to kill 2 seconds later and hire a writer that actually has some real writing chops. Heck, look outside of Japan.

Writing writing writing. It's an RPG. We come for an amazing story. An adventure. Like in a book. We don't need to see how highly detailed the 400 belts the guy is wearing or how amazing the car looks. That's not the point. Story. Look at FF13 and do the opposite of that.

We don't know the exact plot of the game just yet though. I know Wikipedia and some other sites have details, (along with citations), but without playing the game, I am not fit to speak on the matter. Only thing we really can discuss is how the battles seem to play out, the aesthetics and the game/character design. I do get where you're coming from though.

Eidan

This is pretty much the only trailer I've seen for the game. I didn't know it was just for a small portion.
You have a Final Fantasy avatar. My mind boggles at the idea that you've never seen another Versus XIII/XV, let alone that you thought the game would just be about guys traveling in a car.

Gbraga

That's the problem. Characterization (?) seems stuck to mid '90s level, like the all-black dress code.

Usually in FF, for the cliché thing, appearance go along with the personality.

Just to make it clear, I'm not judging the whole game but what I've seen so far in the trailers. I'll be happy if XV surprise me in the end.

Nomura has said that Noctis is actually very shy, and only acts cool to hide that. Of course, we don't know if it was just an excuse or if it really shows during the game, but it's all we have.

-PXG-

So it's an open world, get drunk with your buddies, drive around and fuck random shit up sort of thing?

Uh...

It looks nice but I really have no idea what this game even is...

- The video show characters that, at last on their design, are so damn cliché. The shady main character, the smart-but-ugly guy with glasses, the big one holding a zweihander, the blonde type with pitched voice screaming "sugoi" or something.

sorry but no.

Zoe

Only me that have a really hard time with the character design? Cant stop thinking about a JPOP boyband when I see them.

You're not. But there are also people who love the direction of the character design. Games can't cater to everybody.

Caesars

Neo Member
Gameplay looks good (although it has nothing with the originals Final Fantasy combat mode, but meh) and the enviroment looks gorgeous. But once again Nomura and SE are trying to pull a more like teenage "audience" to this, what, a game entitled as "Final Fantasy", because of those androgenic characters. I can't see a good variety of good characters into this party since Final Fantasy XIII-Versus (now called XV) was announced. Why there's no female character into this game? Or they should put also a old man character into the party just like in the gold era of Final Fantasy (not including FF VIII). What the big idea for putting a luxury car to explore the world? I hope that is not gonna be the only type of car that we will need to use, because if is, than SE lliterally made a "Jonas Brothers with swords" game.
I'm sorry, but for me Final Fantasy died more than a decade ago. Actually, Final Fantasy is still alive. They only entitled for a different name, and is Bravely Default.

All of this is what is my opinion is. I'm don't want to start any fight here, guys. But I want to have a discussion about this matter and anyone is welcome.

Nomura has said that Noctis is actually very shy, and only acts cool to hide that. Of course, we don't know if it was just an excuse or if it really shows during the game, but it's all we have.

Even if thats true, that would still be kind of cliché.

I really wish a FF would have actual adult characters. Like I wrote earlier. The characters seem right out of some fujoshi fantasy with all tropes checked off from a list.

From the crazy thread that has been locked a while ago:

- The battle system shown in the trailer it's an auto-attack fest. You don't see anything spectacular, or any interesting spells, only people swinging their weapons slowly against monsters.

- The car doesn't "blend" well in the enviroments. In the first scene, the wheels are supposed to move some sand with a proper effect but nothing If i can recall.

- Stop it with this "fantasy grounded on reality", it's only a marketing tag (VIII and VII were the same). How they can still talk about that with huge monsters like the one at the beginning of the trailer? Leviathan made sense in a FF-lore way but that? Not really.

- The video show characters that, at last on their design, are so damn cliché. The shady main character, the smart-but-ugly guy with glasses, the big one holding a zweihander, the blonde type with pitched voice screaming "sugoi" or something.

Godzilla says HI! :) I think its a perfectly fine way to set up a world. I loved the setting of ff7. Technology + monsters and hand to hand combat is cool.

Famassu

So it's an open world, get drunk with your buddies, drive around and fuck random shit up sort of thing?

Uh...

Some aspects of the story are influenced by road movies. So, yes, a big part of the game is actually the time they spend on the road and what happens during that time.

Freddo

A dull car ride is they can show of a game that been in development for almost a decade? Not exactly building up my hype here, guess I will have to go back to the FF games of the 90s and FF12 and try to forget there are newer FF games.

Famassu

Gameplay looks good (although it has nothing with the originals Final Fantasy combat mode, but meh) and the enviroment looks gorgeous. But once again Nomura and SE are trying to pull a more like teenage "audience" to this, what, a game entitled as "Final Fantasy", because of those androgenic characters. I can't see a good variety of good characters into this party since Final Fantasy XIII-Versus (now called XV) was announced. Why there's no female character into this game? Or they should put also a old man character into the party just like in the gold era of Final Fantasy (not including FF VIII). What the big idea for putting a luxury car to explore the world? I hope that is not gonna be the only type of car that we will need to use, because if is, than SE lliterally made a "Jonas Brothers with swords" game.
I'm sorry, but for me Final Fantasy died more than a decade ago. Actually, Final Fantasy is still alive. They only entitled for a different name, and is Bravely Default.
There are old characters and there are female characters in the game. Noctis is a prince and they have a luxurious looking car. Big fucking deal, such a silly thing to nitpick about.

And you should really try to grow the fuck up and quit this whole "waah, waah, androgynous characters are bad, waah" shit. That's extremely childish.

I don't know what to think about this. Some of it looks cool but I have no idea what it's going for, it's a clash of so many wildly different elements and it is not clicking at all for me. It looks confused, and with its insane development and recent leadership changes, I have to think that's what this is going to be, a confused mess.

Damerman

bro you have no idea what you are talking about, so please stop saying unfounded shit like this. not only does the comment make no sense(how is what they wear as a group related to characterization), but it makes claims that are absolutely wrong. All black is a fashion staple for all generations, not just the 90s.

Famassu

I don't know what to think about this. I have no idea what it's going for, it's a clash of so many wildly different elements and it is not clicking at all for me. It looks confused, and with its insane development and recent leadership changes, I have to think that's what this is going to be, a confused mess.
There's really nothing confused about this trailer. It shows the road movie aspect of the game. Crystal gets stolen -> they go after the people responsible -> that leads to them driving through the world and shit happens during that trip.

Caesars

Neo Member
There are old characters and there are female characters in the game. Noctis is a prince and they have a luxurious looking car. Big fucking deal, such a silly thing to nitpick about.

And you should really try to grow the fuck up and quit this whole "waah, waah, androgynous characters are bad, waah" shit. That's extremely childish.

I said about the party itself, not into the whole game like his father or some sort of evil guy. Well then, mate. If you really what this sort of discussion, then I have only one thing to show to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMlKv-ez5U

Pilgrimzero

Except.. uhh.. everything else does not seem to be suffering? The combat looks like it could be a top tier action RPG, the story seems intriquing, the world just calls to you to explore it etc.

Action RPG. Full stop. Right there. That's an issue for me.

Not saying the game wont be fun just that its lost something (for me).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's a bro-road trip monster hunter with classic FF designs at large and Shakespearean influences glazed with Shimomura goodness.

And people complain about hairdo and fashion.

What's wrong with you.

Pretty sure the people who like the designs/characters beyond Noctis and Stella are in the minority.

I don't dislike them, but I don't really find them all that appealing. I think the majority of people are just indifferent about it.

I'm curious, does anyone here think this game could end up being one of their favorite Final Fantasy games? Does the setting, characters, etc. from what we know interest you enough? If you do, let me know your favorite Final Fantasy game as well.

Could be one of my favorites or my absolute favorite depending on if the combat gets a boost in speed and there are a large nubmer of things to do in the open world. FFXII is my favorite game out of all of them, followed by IV, but I mean XII didn't do much in its world atmosphere aside from hunts.

sqwarlock

I'm curious, does anyone here think this game could end up being one of their favorite Final Fantasy games? Does the setting, characters, etc. from what we know interest you enough? If you do, let me know your favorite Final Fantasy game as well.

If it plays well, I could see this becoming one of my favorites for sure. My favorite FF's are VII, VIII, and X and I think you could've guessed that just by me saying I might like XV a lot.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
From the crazy thread that has been locked a while ago:

- The battle system shown in the trailer it's an auto-attack fest. You don't see anything spectacular, or any interesting spells, only people swinging their weapons slowly against monsters.

- The car doesn't "blend" well in the enviroments. In the first scene, the wheels are supposed to move some sand with a proper effect but nothing If i can recall.

- Stop it with this "fantasy grounded on reality", it's only a marketing tag (VIII and VII were the same). How they can still talk about that with huge monsters like the one at the beginning of the trailer? Leviathan made sense in a FF-lore way but that? Not really.

That huge monster is probably Adamantoise. Maybe there's only one of them this time. So it is consistent with FF lore, only difference is that they finally can show it in the size that it's supposed to be or can be.

I have to agree with the floaty car. Still needs polish.

Ignis is not ugly and Noctis is not shady. He's just a shy but not emo individual.

There were spells in the E3 2013 demo :p

If this really is a prologue, then it explains the lack of more combat variety. The FFXIII demo didn't even have the paradigms, did it? And Paradigm Shift is the main reason the combat was so damn good there.

That said, yes, it's slow as shit, I'm definitely not sold on the combat.

And Ignis ain't ugly, come on.

Paradigm Shift wasn't in the demo because when the demo was made, it wasn't even conceived yet. I think the reason this demo might lack magic and more fantastical elements is that Noctis hasn't gotten his powers yet. Nomura said before that Noctis is the reason why the rest of the party gets to use magic and without him they can't. So when Noctis dies, it's game over.

Dark_castle

Uh...

No...it actually has a story and from my knowledge a good motivation for their "road trip" as well. It's essentially about surviving a war, and chasing after a stolen crystal that belongs to Noctis's home nation.

Story is said to be simplistic as it is more about the characters, and exploration and gameplay.

Top Bottom