• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV: The English Voice Cast

I think they are trying to keep Ravus as away from the spotlight as possible. I still believe he is the main villain and not Ardyn or Ideolas.

Not me. Tabata is a huge fan of FFVI, and the character Kefka in particular. With the similarities between Kefka/Gehstahl and Ardyn/Ideolas, Magitek Armor, Tabata's emphasizing Ardyn's importance and prominence in the story, and his direct comparison of Ardyn to Kefka.....IMO it's obvious. I'm sure you'll end up clashing with Ravus, but he comes off as more a pawn of Ardyn, who I think will manipulate his desire for revenge.

Plus, every single leak has pointed to
Ardyn as the final boss
. Dunno if all the leaks are true, but......at any rate, there you have it.

Ray Down

Banned
Not me. Tabata is a huge fan of FFVI, and the character Kefka in particular. With the similarities between Kefka/Gehstahl and Ardyn/Ideolas, Magitek Armor, Tabata's emphasizing Ardyn's importance and prominence in the story, and his direct comparison of Ardyn to Kefka.....IMO it's obvious. I'm sure you'll end up clashing with Ravus, but he comes off as more a pawn of Ardyn, who I think will manipulate his desire for revenge.

Ardyn as the final boss

Some bits and piece from the leaks have been true, though Tabata says none of them have been completely right.

Koozek

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

Ishida

Banned

Ardyn as the final boss

I'd have no issue with that, Ardyn is also pretty cool!

Z3M0G

This video got me more hyped for the game than anything so far... I can't wait to play this for the story.

Just so happens that I finally pre-ordered the game today as well.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Okay I have to admit that i expected worse.
However, i will still be playing this in Japanese if i get the option to change the voice acting language.

HeelPower

Being an oracle doesn't always pay the bills. Why you think Yuna became a sphere hunter, for Tidus, hell no Yuna was looking to get payed.

Yup.

FFX-2 is nothing more than a job hunt.

After beating Sin,jobless broke Yuna goes off hunting for a job,then hallucinates about stuff along the way.

Ray Down

Banned
Yup.

FFX-2 is nothing more than a job hunt.

After beating Sin,jobless broke Yuna goes off hunting for a job,then hallucinates about stuff along the way.

Yup, Rikku and Paine just enable these bad habits. Thankful she outgrew them with a throw away line in that awful sequel book.

HeelPower

I dont understand why they dont let voice actors record and interact in the same room.

This is probably a major reason why the VA doesnt quite reach its full potential.

They all record separately then someone stitches the disparate dialogue lines together in the editing room.The same method was used in FFXIII and the actors didnt speak too favorably of it IIRC.

They need to change that for the next game.Just look at how ND does it.They let actors act it out together under Neil's direction.

Gbraga

I hope her dress being like this means a costume change for Luna :D

The dress looks good, but lacks mobility for her to do cool shit in the game, and I'm kinda hoping she won't be one of those characters that just stand there.

And if she is, then please let Gentiana join the party as a guest memeber at some point >_<

Ray Down

Banned
It doesnt exist.It doesnt exist.It doesnt exist.It doesnt exist.It didnt happen.

tumblr_lno7boYi7I1qa89vy.gif

It did, to think Nojima wrote it. He hasn't been great for a while IMO. I like Crisis Core but I admit some lazy bits to it (copying Cloud and Aeries early interactions) & ALL of Genesis.

Can't wait how they updated some scenes and new ones in FF7R.

Zoe

People like Ardyn? He was so cartoonish/over the top in the movie.

I dont understand why they dont let voice actors record and interact in the same room.

This is probably a major reason why the VA doesnt quite reach its full potential.

They all record separately then someone stitches the disparate dialogue lines together in the editing room.The same method was used in FFXIII and the actors didnt speak too favorably of it IIRC.

They need to change that for the next game.Just look at how ND does it.They let actors act it out together under Neil's direction.

Does that really work though when voices are done post-animation?

Gbraga

You have to keep in mind, though, that they're a japanese company. If they ever took the Naughty Dog approach, it would still probably be for the japanese audio only. Just like Naughty Dog games are dubbed like any other game in other languages. The brazilian localization of The Last of Us didn't recapture the animations, for example. Which is pretty much the main reason I ignore most of the dubs and always play with original audio when available, save for a few exceptions. The original audio is the one the writers had in mind for their work.

So, while I do think that this leads to more authentic performances, it probably wouldn't make any difference for this particular example.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Most major studios do this as well as letting the actors themselves give feedback on how they think a line would be said. Japanese games are still ten years behind in terms of performance capture and actor/director collaboration. Just look at the way the actor has to pause in this video during what's supposed to be an emotional scene.
"Why didn't he tellllll...ME that?"
That's no freedom for an actor to express themselves and that's sorely needed here.

wmlk

Most major studios do this as well as letting the actors themselves give feedback on how they think a line would be said. Japanese games are still ten years behind in terms of performance capture and actor/director collaboration. Just look at the way the actor has to pause in this video during what's supposed to be an emotional scene.
That's no freedom for an actor to express themselves and that's sorely needed here.
Uh, he could just be putting himself in his shoes? He's emphasizing "me" because it's something Regis should have told him. What is the issue there?

Zoe

Keiji Fujiwara.

Oh you can bet your ass I'm playing the Japanese version.

I'm just surprised people like his English rendition.

Dub actors will never have as much leeway as the original unless they completely redo all animations for each territory.

wmlk

Oh you can bet your ass I'm playing the Japanese version.

I'm just surprised people like his English rendition.
He's got an appealing design, and his VA here shows passion and the select lines here sound great.

It's good casting, but the script that he reads from isn't very good. He sounds too flowery at times.

Voror

I think they are trying to keep Ravus as away from the spotlight as possible. I still believe he is the main villain and not Ardyn or Ideolas.

Honestly I'm kind of hoping he ends up not being the main villain.
He didn't leave the best impression in Kingsglaive. That said, some close ups of the guy from Chapter 0 shows that his left arm looks messed up which could be a hint that that's who they are fighting.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Uh, he could just be putting himself in his shoes? He's emphasizing "me" because it's something Regis should have told him. What is the issue there?
It sounds very unnatural, both the way he pauses on the word tell followed immediately by a quick me makes it completely obvious that he's trying to sync up with the performance of a Japanese actor. As both of those things are probably not something he'd do on his own.This is an actor completely losing themselves in the role.

Dub actors will never have as much leeway as the original unless they completely redo all animations for each territory.
Yea it must suck for the actors. Witcher 3 continues to be a literal national treasure.

Ishida

Banned
Honestly I'm kind of hoping he ends up not being the main villain.
He didn't leave the best impression in Kingsglaive. That said, some close ups of the guy from Chapter 0 shows that his left arm looks messed up which could be a hint that that's who they are fighting.

Kingsglaive spoilers, I presume? Damn, I really need to see that movie. :(

wmlk

It sounds very unnatural, both the way he pauses on the word tell followed immediately by a quick me makes it completely obvious that he's trying to sync up with the performance of a Japanese actor. As both of those things are probably not something he'd do on his own.This is an actor completely losing themselves in the role.

Yea it must suck for the actors. Witcher 3 continues to be a literal national treasure.
Then the problem is completely different. They're working with motion capture that's from a completely different culture. Maybe it's worth playing the JP version.

JayEH

I think it's just more of dub problem in general. It's always going to be like that. There are some Japanese games that do have English as the lead and they come off natural as a result but that isn't the case here.

KiraXD

well that wasnt as bad as you all are making it out to be... as a fan of JP voices over Eng Voices 99.9% of the time... this was actually pretty tolerable. Ill still play with JP voices because its what im used to when playing JRPGs, but the English voices arent that bad.

Did a quicksearch on Google to understand what you were talking about (I guess Voice Actors and Re:Zero?).

Did you mean Ravus?

Ardyn's English VA (Darin De Paul) voiced Reinhardt in Overwatch.

He did Samuel Hayden in Doom too. Seems like this has been a pretty good year for him.

JayEH

Ardyn's English VA (Darin De Paul) voiced Reinhardt in Overwatch.

He did Samuel Hayden in Doom too. Seems like this has been a pretty good year for him.

He did a great job in doom. Even without the obvious effects added in he had such a creepy demanding voice.

Top Bottom