• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TwitchCon Presentation Stream

Yeah, the new build actually is a huge improvement to the visuals. Are we sure that was PS4?

That was the Xbox one version.

Now, about the ring magic, what are you guys expecting besides death?

I'm expecting, Ultima, Holy, Flare, Meteor and etc etc.

They were playing the Xbox One version but the trailer for the Ring of the Lucii looked way better and the controls were different too? Or am I just hallucinating? Either way who cares, looks very good!

Gbraga

The camera does need some work, but to be fair, most of the times it goes nuts is when the player is completely cornered and either not able to or not even trying to get out. This is one of the things that having someone more experienced with the game might help with. Someone who is better at it either won't find themselves in this situation as often or will know how to get away from it as soon as it happens.

In the Aranea fight and some of the crazy camera moments in this Twitch presentation, even if the camera wasn't going nuts, they'd still be in really disadvantageous positions, and should warp the hell out of there as soon as possible.

People mentioned not using enough lock-on as a possible issue, but what I've noticed is actually the opposite. Turning on lock-on and not thinking about it again until the enemy is dead or you lose your lock for whatever reason is actually the exact same reason why the camera gives people trouble against larger enemies in Souls games. Lock-on is a mechanic like any other, and at times it's better off unlocked. For example: If you warp without locking-on, you'll just do a normal warp attack in that direciton, instead of a warping strike. Given how invincible the warping is right from the startup frames, it's an amazing defensive move that will both put you in a better position in the combat arena and avoid camera issues.

They were playing the Xbox One version but the trailer for the Ring of the Lucii looked way better and the controls were different too? Or am I just hallucinating? Either way who cares, looks very good!

That trailer was PC, yes.

PC dev environment footage is nothing new for this game, but is it my imagination or were the button prompts updated in that footage? Maybe they're already starting to work on an actual PC release?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So what's the incentive to NOT use the death spell after we acquire it?

wmlk

Wait, even Duscae was XBOX? That's even better than what I expected tbh.

I was watching on a small phone display, though. Couldn't tell.

Mailbox

Yeah, the new build actually is a huge improvement to the visuals. Are we sure that was PS4?

The stream was the Xbox version. however...

Those were generic button prompts. It was running on a PC.

That was the Xbox one version.

Now, about the ring magic, what are you guys expecting besides death?

I'm expecting, Ultima, Holy, Flare, Meteor and etc etc.

I'm not sure I expect anything really. They just equipped the ring and death started working. We don't know how and if other magics will be usable with it :S

So what's the incentive to NOT use the death spell after we acquire it?

Its super late game apparently. Also, some enemies might be in droves or attack lots and quicky or death affects them super slowly, so I wouldn't worry about death.

I'm not sure I expect anything really. They just equipped the ring and death started working. We don't know how and if other magics will be usable with it :S

Maybe you choose the ring's magic in the menu. I mean, there's an exclusive category in the menu just for the ring.

Tyaren

Wait, even Duscae was XBOX? That's even better than what I expected tbh.

I was watching on a small phone display, though. Couldn't tell.

Everything except the ring trailer was Xbox One gameplay. It actually looked really good. In the Bandersnatch quest I was especially impressed. Good foliage, impressive magic effects and that water was also pretty, also the dark, gloomy sky and lighting while fighting the boss. O:

benzy

giphy.gif

sappyday

Its super late game apparently. Also, some enemies might be in droves or attack lots and quicky or death affects them super slowly, so I wouldn't worry about death.

It won't be just Death.

This shit reminds me of Under the Skin

Mailbox

I mean even the fact that it weakens enemies indefinitely is a huge boost to any encounter.

Exactly.

Looks like magic drains super quickly. If you basically lose that much from a garula, then its pretty much useless for taking out large groups of enemies. Its probably more useful for finishing off enemies that you just don't wanna bother with putting in the time for in the late game.

It won't be just Death.

I surely hope not, but I really wanna know how you can change ring magics.

Zedark

Man, just look at the animations in this game! Even for one spell, they have distinct morph animations for each monster. You can definitely tell (if you couldn't already) that they have spent a lot of work in them!

On another note, I am positively surprised by how well the XBOX ONE graphics have come along as well. At Gamescom they seemed really bad, but now they are actually quite good. And holy shit at some of the dungeons shown in this presentation: they are absolutely gorgeous!

Skulldead

I don't know why but i have the feeling the will probably be challenging, he is freaking level 65 in the demo... and if he play bad, he can beat up pretty fast. Can't imagine with enemies of the same level...

The bestiary is great so far, i can't wait to see other enemy types !

Edit : The Death ring thing.... why reveal this, look so lame in term of gameplay...

Koozek

It didn't in the footage.
I think in the Garula one he has Regen or something keeping his HP up while using Death. Who knows, though. Tabata said recently that Death would drain HP (or maybe someone mistranslated and it was MP). But with these enemies Noctis HP was draining if you check out the footage, IIRC from watching the stream.
Death morphs and shrivels the enemies' bodies holy shit.

DVbc.png

CVbc.png

EVbc.png

FVbc.png

I surely hope not, but I really wanna know how you can change ring magics.

I don't know... when they equipped it in the video, it was only called : ring magic. Not a particular death magic from a subsection of a more general Ring Magic section. Maybe it was also only for the video purposes, but I hope you can equip various type of magics, like the crystal shield we saw in Kingsglave.

Ketaya

Maybe you choose the ring's magic in the menu. I mean, there's an exclusive category in the menu just for the ring.

They renamed Magic to Elemency in the menu, maybe to avoid confusion between the two types. The ring category is called Arcana by the way, maybe the ring only has death but there are other Arcana objects with different spells?

They renamed Magic to Elemency in the menu, maybe to avoid confusion between the two types. The ring category is called Arcana by the way, maybe the ring only has death but there are other Arcana objects with different spells?

I don't know, I really think all the arcane magic are tied to the ring, here's the list of arcane magic in the series:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane_Magick

Edit: Actually, here is some more:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane_Magicks_(Final_Fantasy_XII)

Byvar

Here are my thoughts on this stream:
  • The death spell was really cool to see, it's really nice how it shrvels the enemies, and I can only assume half-shriveled enemies are a lot weaker.
  • While the death spell was nice, I hope there is more to ring magic. It seems as if there was only one version of the ring they could equip, though, so perhaps that's all there is to it...
  • The enemies took way too long to fight. This made FFXIII very boring for me (not so much the linear structure or the cutscenes), so I hope the player was just underleveled the whole time (I noticed the enemies' level indicator was red, so he probably was).
  • Everything about the new area and monsters was super interesting, especially the art direction. I like how they talked about the wasps confusing Noctis too, I wonder how that will work. The music here was great too. Oh, and Prompto mentioned King's Knight in that segment as well. I'm very excited!
  • The Xbox One version looked really good already. Lots of grass, which is good. Can't wait to see the improved PS4 version.
  • The players weren't good at all, and the battle system and camera looked terrible because of it. I feel like that's not much of an excuse though, as I'm not such a good player myself (I used to be fantastic at action games, but then life happened)... perhaps some grinding or playing in easy mode will solve this, but if so, it's the marketing team's fault that they made the presenters play on that difficulty.
  • Mat unredeemed himself.

Rappy

I think in the Garula one he has Regen or something keeping his HP up while using Death. Who knows, though. Tabata said recently that Death would drain HP (or maybe someone mistranslated and it was MP). But with these enemies Noctis HP was draining if you check out the footage, IIRC from watching the stream.
The HP is draining from the enemy. It looks like the Death spell in this game is Drain with some instant death affects for weaker enemies. And like they said, it probably just works like Death in other games, ineffective on some enemies or very low % chance.

These guys didn't seem like the most seasoned gamer but even they was able to make the combat look fun at parts so that's encouraging.

When the one dude ran from the level 37 enemies when he's level 65 and was like "these guys are hard as hell." I facepalmed so hard. The host was just like "Okay..."

Zedark

Here are my thoughts on this stream:
  • The death spell was really cool to see, it's really nice how it shrvels the enemies, and I can only assume half-shriveled enemies are a lot weaker.
  • While the death spell was nice, I hope there is more to ring magic. It seems as if there was only one version of the ring they could equip, though, so perhaps that's all there is to it...
  • The enemies took way too long to fight. This made FFXIII very boring for me (not so much the linear structure or the cutscenes), so I hope the player was just underleveled the whole time (I noticed the enemies' level indicator was red, so he probably was).
  • Everything about the new area and monsters was super interesting, especially the art direction. I like how they talked about the wasps confusing Noctis too, I wonder how that will work. The music here was great too. Oh, and Prompto mentioned King's Knight in that segment as well. I'm very excited!
  • The Xbox One version looked really good already. Lots of grass, which is good. Can't wait to see the improved PS4 version.
  • The players weren't good at all, and the battle system and camera looked terrible because of it. I feel like that's not much of an excuse though, as I'm not such a good player myself (I used to be fantastic at action games, but then life happened)... perhaps some grinding or playing in easy mode will solve this, but if so, it's the marketing team's fault that they made the presenters play on that difficulty.
  • Mat unredeemed himself.

LOL!

I believe Mat mentioned that the Death spell would drain strength from the monster, so unless he worded it carelessly, I would think Death also drains strength along the way (which would indeed match up with the visual impact of the spell).

Those players were kinda terrible. I think the first player never even dodged an attack during his 10 minutes of fighting. Shame, because there seemed to be a real challenge and lots of opportunities for skilled and strategic gameplay, but none of that happened with these players. The combat looked really cool and kinda tactical, so that should be good. Graphics on the PS4 seem to be surprisingly good as well, so the game definitely seems to be coming along very nicely.

Edit:

These guys didn't seem like the most seasoned gamer but even they was able to make the combat look fun at parts so that's encouraging.

When the one dude ran from the level 37 enemies when he's level 65 and was like "these guys are hard as hell." I facepalmed so hard. The host was just like "Okay..."

Haha true, the lady presenting even told the second guy off at one point by casually mentioning 'yeah, you should be able to beat them by level 50-55', you could feel the burn!

sappyday

I haven't watched the footage but did twitch streamers play the game's tutorial? I think anyone who hasn't been following the game jumping into the game would suck at playing it, no matter what game.

Zedark

There was no PS4 gameplay. It was all Xbox One and the ring magic trailer was a PC build.

Was referring to other footage we've seen of it, not to this stream. Xbox One footage here was lovely, though, and much better than I thought it would be!

Top Bottom