• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TwitchCon Presentation Stream

Go_Ly_Dow

LODs and grass looks so much better now on Xbone. Much less shadow and grass pop-in too.

today
UWbc.png

a month ago
VWbc.png

-----------
Still very pleased they added back in those specular shaders for grass.

ZWbc.png

aXbc.png

WWbc.png

This is one of the biggest upgrades I've ever seen for a game so close to launch.

What do you want to see from the story to make you less worried?

I was most looking forward to Noctis vs. Stella/Luna and since we're not getting that the thing I'm looking for is something dark/tragic that gives off the melancholic mood the versus trailers/E3 2013 had.

Specifically the scene where Noctis asks Ignis if he has a plan worse than their own and Ignis answers that he'll think of something 100 times worse.

I can't even imagine a scene so cool with Ignis' goofy British accent.

I was most looking forward to Noctis vs. Stella/Luna and since we're not getting that the thing I'm looking for is something dark/tragic that gives off the melancholic mood the versus trailers/E3 2013 had.

Specifically the scene where Noctis asks Ignis if he has a plan worse than their own and Ignis answers that he'll think of something 100 times worse.

He said that? o_O

shamo42

Holy shit, the combat in this game looks so janky. My goodness the camera system. Also, if there is no way to tell your party members to clear out the area before you use an AoE magic spell, then that is just dumb game design especially considering there is friendly fire.

Combat seems disappointing for me too. I hope there are more strategic elements than this video shows.

LODs and grass looks so much better now on Xbone. Much less shadow and grass pop-in too.

today
UWbc.png

a month ago
VWbc.png

-----------

ZWbc.png

aXbc.png

WWbc.png

I refuse to believe that a few months of optimization can produce this much of a change and keep the game at a similarly consistency of fps.

#conspiracyXV

Mediking

Ignis is more worried about what he's gonna cook for dinner now. He's more concerned about making a meal that's 100 times good. His bloodthirsty days are gone.

Sad... but true.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I think you should probably stop pining after Versus and what Nomura had in mind for this game at that time, you'll only disappoint yourself with overblown expectations.

That's gone and not coming back.

Now...what realistically could they do to gain your support? Maybe some better Luna representation? What i want to see most of all is seeing what Gentiana has in store for the story. Even if its only super light hinting it would be nice to see even a bit of what she might be doing in the story besides talking with Luna and being a nursemaid to Noctis.

We know she's been around for a super long time, and you can't stay around for that long with just being a nursemaid. She's gonna be insane is my guess

sappyday

Would seem pointless to upgrade the car and all that if the Kingdom of Lucis is the only open world part. I think there is 3 maps. You can through each seamlessly with the airship but can only travel to each one on train (with Altissia on boat). They'll probably have some way for your car to come over though.

I think you should probably stop pining after Versus and what Nomura had in mind for this game, you'll only disappoint yourself.

That's gone and not coming back.

Now...what realistically could they do to gain your support?

Hard to say, they're so hush-hush about the story it's really hard to even tell the direction it will go.

Even disregarding Versus, I'm still hoping for something sad and emotional and not just solely about road tripping with your friends.

I hope Luna becomes important and I hope Ardyn is just a red herring to the true villain.

Mediking

Hard to say, they're so hush-hush about the story it's really hard to even tell the direction it will go.

Even disregarding Versus, I'm still hoping for something sad and emotional and not just solely about road tripping with your friends.

I hope Luna becomes important and I hope Ardyn is just a red herring to the true villain.

Rewatch the Dawn trailer and old Jump trailer for FFXV. Those are good from a story standpoint. At least those are compelling.

And yeah. I hate Ardyn too. Hate Ravus too. Hopefully somebody whose the biggest evil hasn't be shown.

Dark_castle

This game's combat is REALLY not designed around tight spaces. The camera especially is a nightmare in small areas. Death magic's effect of making enemies physically smaller is visually interesting though.

Inuhanyou

I agree with Luna, she needs to show more..although i don't think she will be as important as we would like, i just want to see more scenes from her than we have been shown, doing more things in general. I get that its a primarily a 4 man show, but she's still apart of the story after all.

Also, can you tell me why you don't like Ardyn as the possible final villain? It feels like they are trying to build up the feeling that he's got a lot of charisma and unique personality to him that would fit perfect with a main villain after all.

The only two other people who i think could possibly be main villains are the old nifleheim dude with the armor, or Ravus, which i doubt, cause the guy seems like a jobber who got his arm burned off cause he was a dumbass

It was the Versus driver the whole time!

o2xjjL9.gif

From the shadows he will appear after all of the villains have been slain and will utter a single phrase, directed at Noctis:

"Noctis orgy."

Rewatch the Dawn trailer and old Jump trailer for FFXV. Those are good from a story standpoint. At least those are compelling.

And yeah. I hate Ardyn too. Hate Ravus too. Hopefully somebody whose the biggest evil hasn't be shown.

I think the Dawn trailer is pretty bad and i would be surprised if anything from the Jump trailer makes it in to the final game.

I actually quite like Ardyn but I don't think he has what it takes to be a very compelling villain.

Ravus makes more sense but the execution hasn't been so great. I'm indifferent to him at the moment.

My greatest hope and impossible wish is that Luna ends up becoming the villain.

Dat foliage. They really improved the visuals since the delay, even Xbox One version looks pretty.

Now the camera on the other hand >_>

Mediking

I think the Dawn trailer is pretty bad and i would be surprised if anything from the Jump trailer makes it in to the final game.

I actually quite like Ardyn but I don't think he has what it takes to be a very compelling villain.

Ravus makes more sense but the execution hasn't been so great. I'm indifferent to him at the moment.

My greatest hope and impossible wish is that Luna ends up becoming the villain.

You had me then you lost me.

Why the heck would you want Luna to become a villain??? Why??? As some sort of tribute to Stella or something? Stella wasn't even a real villian.

And I've grown to appreciate the mystery and mood of Dawn trailer.

Soriku

I really wish this game had double jump. It'd probably make the warp strikes and aerial combos more convenient to pull off...and better/more fun. Still kind of hoping it's an ascension ability even though Tabata confirmed no double jump on more than one occasion, no?

Mediking

o2xjjL9.gif

From the shadows he will appear after all of the villains have been slain and will utter a single phrase, directed at Noctis:

"Noctis orgy."

Don't give the scary world of FFXV fan art more ammo. Searching for good fanart for this game is liking walking in a minefield.

You had me then you lost me.

Why the heck would you want Luna to become a villain??? Why??? As some sort of tribute to Stella or something? Stella wasn't even a real villian.

And I've grown to appreciate the mystery and mood of Dawn trailer.

I know it doesn't make much sense given the current information, and I don't expect it to happen. But I think it's an interesting thought, although logistically not quite sure how it would work.

silva1991

They kept many animations from versus 13 trailer, but sadly that floaty high jump wasn't one of them >.>

There is only one true villain:

tumblr_inline_o8x9ouznGf1txgu9x_540.jpg

RIP Lord Ravus-sama hooded sorcerer mode

Ravus in the movie was like Daenerys's brother. didn't like him as a bad guy at all.

OrionX

I know it doesn't make much sense given the current information, and I don't expect it to happen. But I think it's an interesting thought, although logistically not quite sure how it would work.

I don't expect it either, but I always loved the idea of a hero and heroine being forced to fight one another despite not wanting to. It would be dramatic and tragic as hell! C'mon, how awesome would it be to see Luna kick Ardyn to the curb and become the villain because reasons? lol

Plus FF needs more female main villains dammit! Ultimecia and Cloud of Darkness are lonely af. xD

Rappy

The animation isn't that bad, but the jump needs to be much higher and more floaty. from what I played(the two demos) I don't think I will be jumping much unless high jump can be unlocked later.

I really wish this game had double jump. It'd probably make the warp strikes and aerial combos more convenient to pull off...and better/more fun. Still kind of hoping it's an ascension ability even though Tabata confirmed no double jump on more than one occasion, no?
I don't really see anything wrong with the jump animation. It looks grounded in reality to me. Making it higher, floatier, or giving a double jump would kinda take away from the "realistic" movement they currently have. Besides warp/magically enhanced moves, none of the animations for the characters are particularly acrobatic/stylized to like what you'd see in Witcher 3 or the Daredevil series, and that's a plus for me as I hate that kind "dance" fighting (but I know others like that stuff).

In regards to story, the main quest seems like it might be pretty straight forward to me which may be a good or bad thing (don't want some twist for the sake of a twist). What I'm really hoping is that they have some good character side story quests for the main party and side characters. We already know that there's some guest party members so maybe they'll do something good with that.

Inuhanyou

I don't expect it either, but I always loved the idea of a hero and heroine being forced to fight one another despite not wanting to. It would be dramatic and tragic as hell! C'mon, how awesome would it be to see Luna kick Ardyn to the curb and become the villain because reasons? lol

Plus FF needs more female main villains dammit! Ultimecia and Cloud of Darkness are lonely af. xD

From what we've seen, it would not make sense for Luna to be an antagonist in any form in the narrative. So at that point, its less sounding cool or dramatic or tragic and more just being a "wha?" sort of thing.

I think that the story should make sense first and foremost before having a face heel turn like that

They kept many animations from versus 13 trailer, but sadly that floaty high jump wasn't one of them >.>

Ravus in the movie was like Daenerys's brother. didn't like him as a bad guy at all.

My mistake. Should have said "there WAS just one true villain". He looked so great in E3 2013 trailer :(

Obviously I don't know what Nomura originally planned to him but I feel his Ravus was going to be more than just a better looking Viserys.

It all started with the hood. So it is and must be for all existence.

OrionX

From what we've seen, it would not make sense for Luna to be an antagonist in any form in the narrative. So at that point, its less sounding cool or dramatic or tragic and more just being a "wha?" sort of thing.

I think that the story should make sense first and foremost before having a face heel turn like that

Yeah I know nothing we've seen of Luna has shown any indication of that, in fact it seems quite the opposite with her devotion to Noctis. It would be interesting to see that devotion become corrupted somehow, but I don't see that happening. Obviously I would want it to make sense and not just have her suddenly start twirling a mustache and going psycho. :p

Inuhanyou

Yeah I know nothing we've seen of Luna has shown any indication of that, in fact it seems quite the opposite with her devotion to Noctis. It would be interesting to see that devotion become corrupted somehow, but I don't see that happening. Obviously I would want it to make sense and not just have her suddenly start twirling a mustache and going psycho. :p

You've given me a horrible mental image of Luna twirling a mustache like a bond villain and acting super cliche evil, complete with maniacal laugh. It will haunt my dreams

silva1991

I don't really see anything wrong with the jump animation. It looks grounded in reality to me. Making it higher, floatier, or giving a double jump would kinda take away from the "realistic" movement they currently have. Besides warp/magically enhanced moves, none of the animations for the characters are particularly acrobatic/stylized to like what you'd see in Witcher 3 or the Daredevil series, and that's a plus for me as I hate that kind "dance" fighting (but I know others like that stuff).

Double/higher jumping will take away from the realistic movement? we are talking about a game that has warp strikes and long air combos.

Soriku

In regards to story, the main quest seems like it might be pretty straight forward to me which may be a good or bad thing (don't want some twist for the sake of a twist). What I'm really hoping is that they have some good character side story quests for the main party and side characters. We already know that there's some guest party members so maybe they'll do something good with that.

The animation is fine, I just don't want it to be awkward to start doing air combos when you don't have much air time. It might feel janky compared to jumping and comboing in a Kingdom Hearts game for example. Not saying I need it floaty like KH, just that it would be nice to get some additional breathing room with a double jump or even a high jump. It probably makes it easier to reach aerial enemies too.

Btw I don't see what's unrealistic about double jump when you have airstep which is obviously not realistic. To keep the visual consistency they could make the high jump fancy by making Noctis utilize his warp or airstep abilities to perform the double jump. Not that I think this matters a whole lot.

Rappy

Double/higher jumping will take away from the realistic movement? we are talking about a game that has warp strikes and long air combos.
Btw I don't see what's unrealistic about double jump when you have airstep which is obviously not realistic.
But it's like I said, non-magic related movement is pretty grounded in reality. I mean, I guess you could have double jump be facilitated by magic but they have put so much emphasis on the warp mechanic that it doesn't look like they really want you to initiate air combos with the jump. The jumping as it stands right now, really only looks likes it was made for traversal. But sure, more gameplay options is always fine. I just wanted to point out the jumping animation seems fine and that Noctis isn't some sorta ninja with most of his non-magic movement.

Dark_castle

FF has always been quite inconsistent with what the characters could do in and out of gameplay context, and how deeply the game respects the law of physics. FF13 is a huge offender of this. Characters jumping, leaping through the air like nothing, falling through the roof with little injuries, there is no fucking consistency.

Ceravic

Looking good. Still, it'd be nice to get through a thread without all of the Versus member berries.

Here, saved everyone time:

HMKoW0X.jpg

Zedark

today
UWbc.png

a month ago
VWbc.png

-----------

ZWbc.png

aXbc.png

WWbc.png

Wow, it does look really good (and that's 'just' the xbox one version), can't wait to experience the final product!.

Rappy

FF has always been quite inconsistent with what the characters could do in and out of gameplay context, and how deeply the game respects the law of physics. FF13 is a huge offender of this. Characters jumping, leaping through the air like nothing, falling through the roof with little injuries, there is no fucking consistency.
Sure, they do a lot of crazy stuff like supplexing a train in battles, but outside of that I don't think their abilities have been too inconsistent. Like, we never see the characters scale a skyscraper in a single leap (unless I'm forgetting that). Eventually, all these characters in FF start killing god-level enemies. It's been awhile since I've played FFXIII, but I don't remember anything inside or outside battles that was too crazy (as opposed to something like Bahamut Zero nuking a continent) that wasn't without the help of their magic/eidolons (even then, ridiculous but nothing like supplexing a train). Care to show some examples?

Top Bottom