• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Update 1.15 out (Bestiary, Chapter Select, Assassin's Festival DLC)

Kyzer

Banned
i'm assuming that statement touched a nerve with you

If you identify, then i'm sorry that i'm not sorry

you arguing for the right to shitpost works both ways though, soooooo

i've never made use of forum ignore buttons before I joined GAF lol

but you're right, it's really not so bad tbh

what are you even talking about lol

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah I don't get why the ignore function is looked down upon. It's extremely useful and needed.

I suggested ignoring them too, weird how including that people have the right to not like FFXV made him respond totally differently to me...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
cx3RbXw.gif

yunbuns

I suggested ignoring them too, weird how including that people have the right to not like FFXV made him respond totally differently to me...

I agree people have the right not to like it but I think it's the way certain people go about it which rubs people the wrong way. I'm not saying that these people are automatically in the right (I feel like some XV fans actively encourage the behavior by constantly responding and feeding into the cycle) but I can empathize with them when its been 9+ months and people still go in XV threads just to say 'god I hate this game exists' or 'stop wasting time on this stupid game'. At that point it's not really criticism anymore to me.

Either way both sides should just ignore each other at this point.

Crossing Eden

I like how the cutscene at the end of the festival has better lighting than the vast majority of cutscenes in the game. Makes sense lol.

BasilZero

When doing chapter select (haven't downloaded yet) do we get to redo side quests and missions?

Also when selecting chapter 13 , can we choose who to play or what?

how exactly is chapter select working? Only avaiable in NG+ mode? Haven't updated yet.

Chapter select is available at the main menu. After picking a chapter, you're able to load from your saved game, keeping all your items/weapons.

It's really nice to be able to replay the parts of the story you liked without having to start over. I'm picking up on stuff I missed the first time around.

tariniel

Anyone that played the assassin festival know how long it is/is it worth the download size? I have a data cap and I want to avoid downloading if it's meh.

Ludens

Banned
Anyone that played the assassin festival know how long it is/is it worth the download size? I have a data cap and I want to avoid downloading if it's meh.

One hour long if you do the main, sides are useless in my opinion, some activities also are recycled from the Mog festival.

tariniel

One hour long if you do the main, sides are useless in my opinion, some activities also are recycled from the Mog festival.

Fantastic, thank you! I think I'll wait until my data cap is close to resetting on the 12th and download if I have some to spare.

Some of the small stories from the daemon section of the bestiary are really fascinating and really help give the sense of why people are afraid of the dark/night.

Koozek

Fantastic, thank you! I think I'll wait until my data cap is close to resetting on the 12th and download if I have some to spare.
Where do you live that you still have data caps? oO Couldn't imagine using the internet like that. I'm constantly streaming music or watching videos.

how exactly is chapter select working? Only avaiable in NG+ mode? Haven't updated yet.
When doing chapter select (haven't downloaded yet) do we get to redo side quests and missions?

Also when selecting chapter 13 , can we choose who to play or what?
You have to have finished the game. Sidequest progression will be reset if you select any chapter, yeah. Oh and:

Be careful not to overwrite your most recent save game while you're in another chapter through the chapter selection since even though you can bring your level and items with you to another chapter it resets every sidequest you did though when you load another chapter!!!

BasilZero

Where do you live that you still have data caps? oO Couldn't imagine using the internet like that. I'm constantly streaming music or watching videos.

You have to have finished the game. Sidequest progression will be reset if you select any chapter, yeah. Oh and:

Be careful not to overwrite your most recent save game while you're in another chapter through the chapter selection since even though you can bring your level and items with you to another chapter it resets every sidequest you did though when you load another chapter!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

I have 3 save files in case one or two gets messed up lol

Awesome, I have been recording videos of the game for my YT Channel and I missed recording one or two sidequests when I first played the game back in dec of last year.

Vic_Viper

The additions to this game have made it so tempting to hop back in. Cant decide if I should do it now or just wait for the PC version though. Just started school a few weeks ago too so its super hard to find time nowadays and with Destiny 2 coming next week, I dont think ill ever have time lol.

That Asscreed Robe looks sooo sick though!

Thanks mate! I hope you haven't learnt that the hard way.

Iscariot

nobody cares if you dont like reading people criticizing a game you like, the way you and a few others act as if the world is bothered by people complaining about the game is laughable. let people have their opinion, you dont have to defend FFXV's honor with your own. just ignore them, youre the one choosing to take it personally. does it really -bother- you to read a post online thats critical of the game? most topics about everything are redundant arguments being made in circles, this isnt special

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally don't care if people like the game or don't, but I've observed that there are about 8-12 people who make their way to most of the FF15 threads and "criticize" with single sentences that usually are 7 words or less. If it happens once or twice, whatever, people sometimes need catharsis. But if you're going into most of the threads about a title, it'd be interesting to get more granular about the what and why's of what you don't like (or do) instead of "Game's shit. Don't bother.".

Ferr986

Honestly I'm not enjoying this at all. It's too clunky even for AC standards.

It's a fair effort for sure but I think they tried to do too much gameplay wise. There's no point on doing AC gameplay when you're so limited.

IMO
I would have prefered the Story to be fixed rather than what we got so far, and what was added to the story didn't feel satisfying (IMO again).
I am not satisfied with the way they handled the post launch support and I'd like my opinion to be heard. Maybe with enough voices they'll adress the situation.

I'm open minded with the Assassin's Festival because I'm somehow hoping that they can bring the climbing mecanic into the chapter 13 battle, it could look a little bit more like what was shown in 2013. It's not what I would have priorised but I would be a nice little thing.

Now, I can understand that calling the game "Trash" is not the right way to keep a conversation going and I'm guilty of that sometimes. This is not the right way to do and you're perfectly right to complain about those comments.

Definitely would love some more attention on the story side of things and I don't think the DLC really addresses that area enough. Hopefully once the gameplay side of things gets ironed out, they can run back to doing the story side as well.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Well, I think I've done almost everything this carnival has to offer. The Shady Dealings quest just keeps going though. He wants 20 Magitek Cores now, and I've killed everything. Sleeping doesn't seem to respawn them. Gotta exit to title and load to bring them back. Apparently he asks for 99 next and all you get is 25 medals as a reward.

I love the characterization in this. Little things like finding Gladio with a different girl every few minutes. Prompto also has a lot of good passing dialogue. Loqi got more screentime than the main game too. Makes me sad thinking the main game could have had similar development all throughout..

Munti

I checked the bestiary a bit and found again some inconsistencies between the english and german translation.

In the german translation, the following is stated:
- Ifrit and Shiva were lovers (if you look at the picture of the prophecy, you can see them hugging).
- Ifrit originally loved the humans (until they betrayed him)
- after Ifrit was defeated and killed, he became
infectected with the starscourge, resulting that he changed and had not only darkness in appearance, but also in himself. Ifrit and Shiva also estranged from each other because of this (the kiss in the battle has therefore another meaning now)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Played through the story of the Assassin's Festival. A messy bugged unpolished shit not deserving to be here. Also coming from a month of Horizon:ZD this remembers me how terrible are S-E coders and programmers when it comes to develop an engine of this scope and the results are such a mess. Please Square... evolve, FFXV plays and feels like a Ps2/3 game at best. Unbelievable. I honestly still don't get why the community and me included gave this horror a pass when it launched. I guess the hype was really strong...

Koozek

I checked the bestiary a bit and found again some inconsistencies between the english and german translation.

In the german translation, the following is stated:
- Ifrit and Shiva were lovers (if you look at the picture of the prophecy, you can see them hugging).
- Ifrit originally loved the humans (until they betrayed him)
- after Ifrit was defeated and killed, he became
infectected with the starscourge, resulting that he changed and had not only darkness in appearance, but also in himself. Ifrit and Shiva also estranged from each other because of this (the kiss in the battle has therefore another meaning now)
Yeah, I pointed this out too the other day in the OT. Maybe post this lore stuff there so it's in one place. Btw, there's a GFAQs post comparing some of the German, Japanese, and English translations: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75722427/885714423

Well, I think I've done almost everything this carnival has to offer. The Shady Dealings quest just keeps going though. He wants 20 Magitek Cores now, and I've killed everything. Sleeping doesn't seem to respawn them. Gotta exit to title and load to bring them back. Apparently he asks for 99 next and all you get is 25 medals as a reward.

I love the characterization in this. Little things like finding Gladio with a different girl every few minutes. Prompto also has a lot of good passing dialogue. Loqi got more screentime than the main game too. Makes me sad thinking the main game could have had similar development all throughout..

Keeping true to the characterization. Still remember that chapter Gladio was gone and Noctis/Prompto were talking about what Gladio was doing. The exchange was great.

P: "What do you think Gladio is doing right now? "

N: "Probably meeting girls. "

P: "Son of a bitch!"

Played through the story of the Assassin's Festival. A messy bugged unpolished shit not deserving to be here. Also coming from a month of Horizon:ZD this remembers me how terrible are S-E coders and programmers when it comes to develop an engine of this scope and the results are such a mess. Please Square... evolve, FFXV plays and feels like a Ps2/3 game at best. Unbelievable. I honestly still don't get why the community and me included gave this horror a pass when it launched. I guess the hype was really strong...

Didn't you give FF XIII a pass?

You can now glitch with God mode and flying in any chapter.
I was most interested in chapter 13 and 14, but unfortunately there is just nothing to find.
Niflheim, just like all of the unfinished cities in the game, isn't even close to being done. What you see of the city is simply geometry to give the illusion of a big city that only works from the angles from the path that the campaign briefly lets you walk on.

I got god mode, but wad never able to glitch in to Niflheim:(

Can't wait to try out assassins update, just been busy.

Asd202

Played through the story of the Assassin's Festival. A messy bugged unpolished shit not deserving to be here. Also coming from a month of Horizon:ZD this remembers me how terrible are S-E coders and programmers when it comes to develop an engine of this scope and the results are such a mess.Please Square... evolve, FFXV plays and feels like a Ps2/3 game at best. Unbelievable. I honestly still don't get why the community and me included gave this horror a pass when it launched. I guess the hype was really strong...

It ironic coming from you after you defended XIII so much.

Keeping true to the characterization. Still remember that chapter Gladio was gone and Noctis/Prompto were talking about what Gladio was doing. The exchange was great.

P: "What do you think Gladio is doing right now? "

N: "Probably meeting girls. "

P: "Son of a bitch!"
God, I love the little touches in the game.

Gladiolus probably has the least amount of character development or personality among the four, and Episode Gladiolus didn't flesh him out as much.

I'm so glad this is rounding him out even a little bit.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Didn't you give FF XIII a pass?

Yes and which part of the game was literally
A messy bugged unpolished shit
?

FFXIII it's obviously a better polished and more entertaining videogame and FF than FFXV could ever hope to be. Specially considering the year in which came out and the console in which it runs on and the amazing performance of it all. It's also a more respectful of the source FF without all this promos and shits realized with a complete lack of coherence, passion and love for the franchise. But aside from that FFXV fails on every single level and aspect (graphics, gameplay, story, narration and I even dare to say MUSIC) so honestly yes I reaffirm it, FFXIII is the better product. And before everyone starts to tell of a different story, let's remember that XIII's metascore is higher than FFXV too.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Perfo Returns:Final Fantasy XIII :p

Haven't started playing the Assassin's Fes yet but the bestiary looks good. Finally played Episode Gladious.

FFXIII it's obviously a better polished and more entertaining videogame and FF than FFXV could ever hope to be. Specially considering the year in which came out and the console in which it runs on and the amazing performance of it all. It's also a more respectful of the source FF without all this promos and shits realized with a complete lack of coherence, passion and love for the franchise. But aside from that FFXV fails on every single level and aspect (graphics, gameplay, story, narration and I even dare to say MUSIC) so honestly yes I reaffirm it, FFXIII is the better product. And before everyone starts to tell of a different story, let's remember that XIII's metascore is higher than FFXV too.

I disagree, but to each his own.

XIII was not a fun or entertaining game for me. FFXV at least keeps me coming back.

Astral Dog

Yes and which part of the game was literally ?

How can it fail in Graphics? i thought it was pretty if a bit uninspired for the "realism". Music was catchy too.

supergiz

Haven't touched this since I beat it at launch. Guess now's the time to go through all the optional dungeons I missed.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just checked out the Bestiary.

I'm missing 3 enemies in Leide. Cactuar and Slactuar, which I knew I had missed. Nobody seems to have posted a list past Leide and Duscae anywhere yet.
Whatever's between Gigantuar and Behemoth too. Was missing Stoneshears and Anak Stag before too. No idea how I missed those. I've walked past those crabs dozens of times.

Missing 1 enemy in Cleigne between Karlabos and Bandersnatch.

Missing 2 Magitek Trooper types (between Magitek Bannerman and Shock Trooper) and 1 Mech (Between MA-X Maniple and MA-X Dux).
MA-X Patria seems like what I'm missing for the mech. Apparently drops randomly after defeating a Maniple.

Koozek

Code:
[IMG]http://www.mediationalfield.com/blog/post_images/2015-07-19_fabula_nova_crystallis_ff/2014-07-19_05tn.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Louis-Vuitton-Spring-2016-ad-campaign-01.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/503af6693aabcb064e431a6f9beaeb2f/tumblr_otg7n4gmEn1qbdgqxo1_500.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--NWqp-36y--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/ozp5ubjwgiawgpy0pwf8.gif[/IMG]

Crossing Eden

Final Fantasy XV may not be the prettiest open world game ever but it's certainly not a failure in the graphics department. If anything it seems like that team got completely blindsided by optimization and had to completely rework a lot of things on the rendering side to get it up and running.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.mediationalfield.com/blog/post_images/2015-07-19_fabula_nova_crystallis_ff/2014-07-19_05tn.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Louis-Vuitton-Spring-2016-ad-campaign-01.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/503af6693aabcb064e431a6f9beaeb2f/tumblr_otg7n4gmEn1qbdgqxo1_500.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--NWqp-36y--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/ozp5ubjwgiawgpy0pwf8.gif[/IMG]

LordKasual

Banned

/s?

no /s?

ahahhafhakhdakjfhg ok

You bring up Metacritic, but for all of FFXV's shortcomings, nothing you typed explains the clear discrepancy between its review scores user scores.

Especially considering GAF for an example is a community that feels very unfavorably about XV, and nothing stops anyone from 0/10 bombing the game because of biased hatred. You would think such a thing would be encouraged for FFXV, being such a departure from the series, but that's not what the data reflects

That is a consistent trend with the XIII series, as a matter of fact. So all of this talk about the game being a failure is really just your own inflated opinion.

TheCed

Really ? XV failed in graphics ?
XV has a lot of flaws, it's so far my most hated FF I had ever played (Never tried the OG XIV) but I can't be blind enough not to recognize it's qualities. Graphics are great, for what it is, the characters interactions are believable for most and the Music is quite good.

xviper

amazing support for the game even though it was a huge disappointment

how much better is the game now compared to when it was released ?

I played both XIII and XV back-to-back last year, and I must disagree with all of this; especially about lack of passion and "love for the franchise."

benzy

FFXIII it's obviously a better polished and more entertaining videogame and FF than FFXV could ever hope to be. Specially considering the year in which came out and the console in which it runs on and the amazing performance of it all.

syzujr.png

amazing support for the game even though it was a huge disappointment

how much better is the game now compared to when it was released ?

Storywise a mess outside the ending which is goat, so don't hold your hope for story fix patches. Everything else is fine top 3 protag of the series.

StereoVsn

I played both XIII and XV back-to-back last year, and I must disagree with all of this; especially about lack of passion and "love for the franchise."
XV had its faults but I spent hours and hours on it. I bought XIII twice (PS3 and PC) and while characterization is still shit on PC I got a bit further there (about 12 hours) vs PS3 because VA is horrific.

I will take XV's bugs and issues any time over whatever the hell XIII tried to do and utterly fail. At least 4 main characters were fairly likeable on XV. I hated every single character in XIII except for perhaps Sazh.

And let's not forget the "tunnel vision". I will take beautiful if a a bit repetitive first half of XV over XIII. That's for sure.

Edit: XIII characters, writing and VA got me mad just thinking about that game again. Even Japanese VA did t help past certain point.

LordKasual

Banned
XV had its faults but I spent hours and hours on it. I bought XIII twice (PS3 and PC) and while characterization is still shit on PC I got a bit further there (about 12 hours) vs PS3 because VA is horrific.

I will take XV's bugs and issues any time over whatever the hell XIII tried to do and utterly fail. At least 4 main characters were fairly likeable on XV. I hated every single character in XIII except for perhaps Sazh.

And let's not forget the "tunnel vision". I will take beautiful if a a bit repetitive first half of XV over XIII. That's for sure.

Edit: XIII characters, writing and VA got me mad just thinking about that game again. Even Japanese VA did t help past certain point.

It wasn't even really the characters or the voices. FFXIII's writing was just very decidedly "Anime". It was just atrocious for the kind of story that it was going for.

Far more "Kingdom Hearts" than "Final Fantasy", and this was especially jarring coming off of Final Fantasy XII.

The setting was particularly odd too, as far as Final Fantasy games go. The monster designs were overly abstract, and not in a "Midgar Slums Transforming House" way. It's more of a "we're implying that these are practical creature designs within the universe of XIII but we're going to make no attempt to explain how or why."

So much about the series just rubbed me the wrong way. I could have forgiven the corridor level design and shallow combat flow if only the story and setting felt believable, but it just didn't.

That's really my biggest problem with FFXIII. Everything in that game was far too hard to swallow. The dialogue, the setting, the lore, the world, the people, their ambitions, everything was just....eugh. Every design and writing decision in that game just felt forced somehow.

Not to mention how after XIII, they just desperately tried to shove Lighting down your throat, to the point of retconning her personality once in FFXIII-2, and then making a completely different character in XIII-3

Yeah, XIII tried to do its own thing and failed just about every step of the way, and XV doesn't feel so much like a return to form as a major step in the right direction.

Top Bottom