• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Street Fighter 4 Location Test Details

Mr Jared

Reno said:
Also, a good depiction of how good C.Viper's ultra is in the game!

Yes! :lol I noticed that too ... they really need to do the 3rd Strike thing where, if say you block the opening to Ken's SA3, he doesn't do the last part. It's especially ridiculous for Viper's.

2) I don't know what it is, but I've come to love the art style, perhaps because I've now played it in person. Little touches really make it. (eg. in the Inland Jungle level, slamming a character on the bridge will cause a small ripple in the water below.)

Ditto. My favorite animation is actually somewhat related. When Blanka walks forward, he looks very menacing. But when he retreats, he looks afraid, and makes these look "Hoo Hoo" sounds. It's all cute, but totally Blanka.

Zangief:
Somewhat nerfed but still really good. I think he has a new side normal kick move which helps him to move across the screen. EX Banishing Fist does knock down if hit - but if blocked it does put him in a decent position for a SPD (at least twice I blocked a Banishing Fist, tried to retaliate with a sweep, got SPD'ed instead).

This is seriously the best change they could have made. His EX Banishing Flat is super important now as its his best way to not only get into SPD range, but punish just about anything that's outside of it. Before, you'd land it and then there's a "What now?" situation where both players recover at the same time. The knock down should create a much better situation for Gief.

HYPEHYPE!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not a super technical fighting game player, so I apologize if my impressions are not technical enough. This is what I posted on my blog yesterday.

The game uses the IC card system that all Japanese fighters today use, but so far its only use is to record wins, and for the player to purchase “costumes”, which so far are only alternate colors for existing costumes.

As I arrived in line to try my hand at Capcom’s new fighter, I was taken aback. The game looked truly beautiful. Character detail was crisp and visible, while background lighting was well implemented and subtle. Darkers stages like the Buddhist temple offered an interesting change of pace, as a single light source at the middle of the stage serves as the only illumination. Corner games are drowned in darkness, which lend an interesting mood.

Similarly, the game preserves the original teaser trailer’s sumi-e brushstroke style, but uses it sparingly unlike the teaser. Certain powerful moves leave a trail of black paint splatter as the character moves towards their target. The effect is not only beautiful, but it screams artistic confidence. Street Fighter’s art style is very cohesive and determined.

Once I hopped on a machine for the first time, a surge of excitement mixed with nervousness coursed through my body. Not only was this going to be my first time playing Street Fighter IV, but it would be in front of throngs of people who, instead of standing in line to play the game, were happy to puff on cigarettes and gander.

Being a shotokan player for most of my life, I chose my staple character Ryu, and headed into the fray. My first battle was against a player controlled El Fuerte, a lucha libre character making his first appearance in Street Fighter IV. Despite being a Ryu player for the better part of my existence, I was still convinced I was out of my depth. There had been several location tests for the game in the same arcade, and this was my first time playing the game.

When I finally defeated my opponent (with an Ultra move no less), my moment of victory was downright palpable. Sure, I was able to squeeze a win out of my first game of Street Fighter IV, but there was something more gratifying than that: Ryu still played like Ryu.

That would be an elementary train of thought for most gamers looking in from the outside, for those following Street Fighter IV’s development from its first announcement, this will naturally come as a relief. From the introduction of the revenge bar, to the exclusion of parries, Street Fighter fans have been on a roller coaster from day 1.

The revenge bar is, surprisingly, is a great addition to the game. Separate from the character’s Super bar, the Revenge meter (which fills as the character is hit) is used to either execute a saving attack (an offensive move from a block akin to a parry), or a full one can be used to execute the character’s highest level attack, known as an Ultra.

The super bar fills based on hits dealt to the enemy, and can be used to augment regular attacks, or can be used in full to release a super attack, which are less powerful than Ultras. With these two bars in tandem, Street Fighter IV becomes a much more offensive based game, as turtling (blocking incessantly without an offensive strategy) has little reward, especially when an aggresive player has more options open to him as he attacks, whether he’s particularly successful or not.

Unfortunately, cameras were not allowed at the test, and I'm not nearly sly enough to capture good video on my cell phone, so I only have photos of the outside of the arcade, a photo of the location test poster, and a single low quality shot of the cabinet on my blog.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mr Jared said:
Ditto. My favorite animation is actually somewhat related. When Blanka walks forward, he looks very menacing. But when he retreats, he looks afraid, and makes these look "Hoo Hoo" sounds. It's all cute, but totally Blanka.

He sort of did that in SF2 also, minus the sound.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Mr Jared said:
Yes! :lol I noticed that too ... they really need to do the 3rd Strike thing where, if say you block the opening to Ken's SA3, he doesn't do the last part. It's especially ridiculous for Viper's.

This is seriously the best change they could have made. His EX Banishing Flat is super important now as its his best way to not only get into SPD range, but punish just about anything that's outside of it. Before, you'd land it and then there's a "What now?" situation where both players recover at the same time. The knock down should create a much better situation for Gief.

HYPEHYPE!

They do the "stop the super if it doesn't connect" stuff with other characters... just not Viper. It's totally weird. For Chun, Sagat and Bison this happens. Yet for Viper, Balrog (boxer) and Rufus this doesn't happen. I don't really get how they decided which supers will stop and which will continue though...

For the EX hand, the knockdown is actually a pretty big nerf because before it left them standing, and they had to play the guessing game between jumping back and eating a possible lariat or staying on the ground and eating a 360. It was a situation that was definitely in gief's favor imo...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lyte Edge said:
Is the official release still set for July?

Tentatively, from all the sites I've checked. They better work like hell to tune the game before then. I'd also like to think there are still a few characters they haven't revealed.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, those vids are hot - so fluid, in fact it has to be the most fluid fighter out there period...

Loved how Honda spun off that EX SPD from Zangief - I'm guessing it's an EX-only thing since I don't remember seeing that before...

And reading that Balrog's (yes, Boxer) EX Straight dash punch is invincible is a unexpectedly nice surprise!

I'm pretty much set with 3 of my 4 top guys from Super Turbo being in (Ryu, Balrog, Guile), and that Ken is second banana again where he belongs unlike the fiasco that happened in SF3... :D

sf2cartoonlolbiiison.gif

thetrin

Because they haven't been standardized still, SRK still refers to the three as Dictator, Claw and Boxer.

thetrin said:
Because they haven't been standardized still, SRK still refers to the three as Dictator, Claw and Boxer.
Thanks, I was wondering where they originated from (obviously I had hoped it was from the game).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Quoted from Azrael at SRK, seems like there are win quotes for every character :

The game has some funny win quotes. I wasn't able to catch a whole lot of them, but some of my favorites were:

Ryu, to Gief:
What, shoes? Fighting in my barefeet is the most comfortable. It's not that I can't afford shoes...

Chun to Dhalsim:
Maybe I should try dieting through yoga...

Chun (General):
Man, what a great fight! I wish someone could have gotten video of that...

Viper:
Yes, I fight with lightning charges, flame throwers, and explosive charges. What, did you expect my company to fight fair or something?

Guile:
Go home and sleep. You suck.

Chun to Rufus:
Your body is too big, so you can't move around very well.

Chun to El Fuerte:
Maybe cooking isn't your speciality after all.

Chun to Guile:
If that's all you've got, then the American military aint shit.

Chun to Ken:
You've been spending so much time doting on your wife that you've been slacking off on your training, right?

thetrin

Guile:
Go home and sleep. You suck.

Slightly more hurtful than demanding they become a family man. :lol

thetrin

Raging Spaniard said:
And I'm just wondering if sleep is the cure for sucking.

No, but it's a cure for having to fight Guile again.

Artanisix

Just watched some of the videos linked in this thread, and man, SF4 looks to be a real winner. I'm so excited :D

Claw looks a bit slow though...

thetrin

Dali said:
Methinks this rough translation will be altered for the NA release.

Well, keep in mind all the win quotes are in Japanese, so these are probably Azrael's personal translations.

Dali

thetrin said:
Well, keep in mind all the win quotes are in Japanese, so these are probably Azrael's personal translations.
Hence the "rough" modifier.

Anyway, if the point of the win quote is to insult the U.S. military because Guile got his ass beat by Chun Li, regardless of the specific wording used I don't think it will be carried over to the NA release.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Much as I loved the boss characters in the past SF games, I really didn't want them in SF4. I just think they're best left in the past. ESPECIALLY Bison.

Teknoman

So whats the usual amount of time for a Capcom arcade port to a console after the final arcade release? This is the first time i've actually followed location tests...so im not too familiar on the process.

That and Tekken 6 is taking too damn long to come to PS3.

boutrosinit said:
Much as I loved the boss characters in the past SF games, I really didn't want them in SF4. I just think they're best left in the past. ESPECIALLY Bison.

Isnt M. Bison supposed to be dead? I mean didnt Akuma pretty much evicerate him? Unless its going to be some kinda Bison clone (yes I do like fighting game storylines). Btw could someone give me a quick list of SF story timeline?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Teknoman said:
So whats the usual amount of time for a Capcom arcade port to a console after the final arcade release? This is the first time i've actually followed location tests...so im not too familiar on the process.

That and Tekken 6 is taking too damn long to come to PS3.

I think about 6 months in average, but don't quote me on that. For a console release they have to bother with a lot of other things like Online play, matchmaking, options, game modes and, in this case, maybe even new characters.

Zapages

Those quotes are full of win!!!!

I wonder if we are going to quotes as it was in 2nd Impact... That was some awesome art.

Teknoman

As long as the final boss is nothing like Gill. Wtf regeneration? Im all for having to defeat demi-gods at the end of a fighting tournament...but damn.

thetrin

favouriteflavour said:
Alex, Makoto, Urien?

I barely ever used a shoto in SF3. Please add some SF3 or more new characters capcom.

I totally agree. It really needs 3s characters.

Top Bottom