• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally broke down and bought a 360

Gamertag is mighty9ine by the way, if anyone would like to add me. (Shockingly, mightynine was taken. Bastards.)

Anyways, where to I go from here? Do I pick up the Xbox Gold membership? What games do I get (I bought NCAA 07, Table Tennis, and got Call of Duty 2 for free)? Is Gears of War that good? Is Sonic The Hedgehog as awful as I think it is?

Just looking for some help from the GAF experts.

sangreal

Dead Rising!

and yes, Gears of War really is that good.

Viva Pinata is supposedly excellent if you're into Sim games.

BTW, You should have gotten a free month of gold when you signed up for silver.

xblarcade

Start downloading demos. No need to pay for live till you find a couple of games that you'd actually want to play online (not that I'm saying this won't come quick). One of the good things about waiting this long, is that you now have a backlog of over 50 demos to go through.

Also I'd suggest trying out some XBLA games, assault heroes would be a good one to start with (great for playing while downloading demos)

lexi

Banned
Do yourself a great favor and get Gears of War.
Do yourself a greater favor and don't get Dead Rising.

Gears is fun, but depending on the types of shooters you like, you may not be as impressed as others are. I'd give it an 8.0 in my book.

Call of Duty 2 is awesome though. You should try playing through that on veteran, or heck holla at me and i'll play some games online with you (GT: GAZERK).

2b3grna5

get oblivion, dead rising, saints row and gears of war. download a few xbox live arcade games - like my personal fav geometry wars. and lastly put some cash aside for crackdown.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
GAZERK said:
Gears is fun, but depending on the types of shooters you like, you may not be as impressed as others are. I'd give it an 8.0 in my book.

Call of Duty 2 is awesome though. You should try playing through that on veteran, or heck holla at me and i'll play some games online with you (GT: GAZERK).

This guy has it backwards for certain. I mean, to give Gears an '8' implies that there are other games like it that do what it does, only better. That's very much not the case with Gears. It really is in a league of its own.

Vandiger

Your first arcade live game should be Geometry Wars. Pick up COD3 and Gears of War. If you like RPGs than get Enchanted Arms which is decent. Surprisingly I like Test Drive Unlimited quite a bit for a racing game as well as RR6 which can be bought for like $20 now. Dead Rising is nice although I hate zombie/horror games. I picked up DOA4 since I like a decent fighter as well. My next games are Lost Planet, Halo 3, and hopefully Blue Dragon and Culdcept Saga.

jarrod

Banned
Worthwhile buys...

-Dead Rising
-Gears of War
-Ridge Racer 6
-Viva Pinata

...that should set you up nicely for 2007's onslaught of quality...

-Assassin's Creed
-Bioshock
-Blue Dragon
-Culdcept Saga
-Earth Defense Force X
-Half-Life 2 (plus Team Fortress 2 & Portal!)
-Halo 3
-Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
-Sega Rally Revo
-Virtua Fighter 5

Gears and Dead Rising, for further emphasis.

Also, COD2 (as you'll find out) and PGR3 will always be excellent games and can be had for relatively cheap now.

DaCocoBrova said:
This guy has it backwards for certain. I mean, to give Gears an '8' implies that there are other games like it that do what it does, only better. That's very much not the case with Gears. It really is in a league of its own.

I'm not backwards, it's an opinion that's valid. I've played through the game and seen/heard several problems that affect my judgement. By all means it's a good game, I recommend getting it...it just may not live up to your expectations. Anyways, there are shooters out that are more interesting then that game in the multiplayer and single player aspects.

Anyways, this will get off topic if I go too long. One more recommendation for the 360, if you can find Need for Speed: MW for a low price, go ahead and get that game. It's pretty decent.

Norse

for cheap you can get tony hawk 8 at target for 39 dollars, saints row for 39 at best buy, gears is 39 at target as well.....get these 3 and return your basketball game...the 2k7 basketball games are good, the EA sports ones blow.

pgr3 is cheap and good as well, and nhl 2k7 rocks

Nykad

just download the dead rising demo and play it for yourself. I did and i found it to be crap. Gears of War is awesome though. Very very good game. Also Geometry wars is a great game for $5.

pr0cs

Gears of War
Saint's Row
LoTR:BFME2
Dead Rising
Burnout Revenge

Mutant Storm
Assault Heroes
Uno
Zuma

Viva Pinata
Ninenty Nine Nights
Gears of War
Ridge Racer 6
Pro Evolution Soccer 6

Doom
Marble Blast Ultra
Smash TV
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Wik: Fable of Souls

rs7k

DaCocoBrova said:

Not really. It's still a shooter, just with a different perspective. I enjoy Resistance quite a bit more than Gears because it's a first-person shooter. I'd give Resistance a 9.0-9.5 while Gears gets an 8.5. Resistance is just more enjoyable IMO in multiplayer.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gears sure as hell lived up to the hype... it's a must-have...

Marketplace should be a goldmine to newcomers like yourself, so make sure to download the Lost Planet SP and MP demos, Dead Rising demo, PGR3 demo, NBA2K7 demo, and so much more...

Every XBL Arcade game has a demo, so feel free to get the demos for Geometry Wars, Uno, UMK3,

XBL is definetely worth it, trust me... it is one hell of a robust online experience... all of the games you already bought are online, and with Gears, it's a definite must-have..

Online co-op, nuff said...

I noticed that no one addressed the question about how bad Sonic the Hedgehog for the 360 is.

It is bad. Realy bad. If curiousity is just killing you, there's a demo for it on Live that should pretty much serve as a tutorial for bad game design. Awkward camera, poor sense of speed, uninspired level setup ...

Good pick-up with the 360, though! Might I recommend FEAR if you don't have a high-powered PC? It's a solid port.

lockii said:
Do yourself a great favor and get Gears of War.
Do yourself a greater favor and don't get Dead Rising.

= Truth.

Dead Rising is a rental at the most. It's a fun experience for a few days, but I just can't get behind the unabashed love it gets around here. It's especially not a great "first game" for your new next-gen system since it's honestly not that impressive.

Get Gears, be blown away, relish your purchase. Then delve into the rest of what the system has to offer.

Brashnir

iapetus said:
Worse.

If you hate yourself enough, download the demo.

or just stab yourself in the face 60 or 70 times with an icepick. It's your choice, but personally, after playing the demo - I'd take the icepick.

Vrolokus

Banned
Gears of War for sure. Dead Rising for sure, too (the demo kinda sucks, though).

Oblivion, no question.

After that, other solid choices depending on your tastes would be: Viva Pinata, Kameo, Fight Night Round 3, Rainbow 6: Vegas, Condemned, PGR3, RR6.

As far as arcade titles go, Geometry Wars is great. Mutant Storm is great. I personally love Zuma. Assault Heroes is really good, but a bit too easy.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
All I know that the demo for Sonic is bad (but it looks so good, if only it was a bit more polished), and that the full game gets even more complaints like way too frequent loading spots, and long loading times to boot, so I decided not to even touch that game to decide for myself - can't stand loading times personally...

pr0cs

iapetus said:
Mutant Storm over Geometry Wars?

yeah, GeoWars really offers limited gameplay unless you like doing the same thing over and over again. Mutant storm offers multiplayer, multiple game modes, user selectable weapon upgrades, more interesting arcade rankings worldwide. Yeah it's more money but I found it to be a better game. TBH GeoWars is a good game but overrated .

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is this surprising to anyone? I think it is.

I bought a 360 yesterday too.

I bought:

Xbox 360 Pro
Extra Controller
Gears of War
Call of Duty 2 (free)

I'll also have from bro:
Dead Rising
Oblivion
Perfect Dark Zero

There, so I buckled down.
I'll get Lost Planet too, I enjoyed it at E3.

But I need some RPGs

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I wouldn't call it a break down, d00d. The 360 looks like it is going to be a very solid system.

My impressions of it are that it is the perfect hybrid between console and PC gaming. i.e., you'd better be getting Command & Conquer 3: Tiberian Wars.

And HERE is the 360 Screenshot Thread (56k no) so you have a good idea of what to expect.

I am more into JRPGs (rather than western style) and platformers, but the 360 really has everything else quite well covered and is only one exclusive (you guess) from getting my moneh instead of the PS3.

Have fun.

Sonic The Hedgehog
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
Enchanted Arms
Wik
Ninety Nine Nights

They are all branded as bad games, and well... are bad games, but each one of em is quite fun if you can make it past the crap. I suggest about 60 hours each.

Gears of War is eh. If you like that kind of thing and can put up with shoddy controls go for it. The Call of Dutys are more enjoyable imo.

Dead Rising is a religious experience and not buying it is heresy.

TDU is probably the best driving game I've ever played. The graphics are absolutely terrible and everyone running around in Enzos is lamentable, but the concept of a free roaming driving game is just so awesome it makes up for any shortfalls.

Marble Blast Ultra is the only really ace XBLA game. There are some other good ones though like Geo, Mutant Storm, Outpost K, Cloning Clyde, and dare I say it Lumines.

Norse

how is marvel ultimate alliance? its and action rpg correct?

also, are you guys getting the wireless controller and cod2 free with purchase or what?

oh no you didnt! Gears of war shoddy controls? You are high! The controls are perfect as far as I am concerned.

J-Rzez

Dead Rising is a really really cool game, I highly recommend that... and while Gears is good, my opinion, it's not "that" good as it was so rediculously hyped it disappointed, especially with it's longetivity, which got old real fast... and then there's it's online play... If you want an online shooter, get R6:V instead...

Oblivion is a decent pick too if you're into non-jrpg's... it'll keep you amused until Lost Planet comes out... should at least...

bengraven

Make sure to give yourself some time with CoD2. Get a big mug of something warm, sit next to the fire in this cold winter nights, and enjoy the best game I played last year.

Games to buy? Obviously the same others have said, so I'll just play the part of the broken record: Gears, Oblivion, Dead Rising (it's frustrating, but ****ing rocks)...

condemned-ft_250x200.jpg

condemned-criminal-origins-2.jpg

condemned-criminal-origins-20050922055442253.jpg

And Condemned! Definitely!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Norse said:
also, are you guys getting the wireless controller and cod2 free with purchase or what?

I bought the wireless controller. Best Buy for the week is giving you free CoD2, and a $20 gift card.

They are also selling Gears for $44. So I did a separate transaction, used the $20 gift card that came with the 360, and I got Gears for $28 with tax.

Its the deal that broke my back, couldn't resist $75 instant stavings. Plus, I already had gift cards, so I only really spent $150 of my own moneies.

Top Bottom