• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally broke down and bought a 360

pswii60

GoW
Viva Pinata
Oblivion

Also, if you can pick them up for cheap:

PGR3
Kameo

But save most of your pennies for 2007 which without a doubt has the best line-up I've ever witnessed for a console. Lost Planet kicks it all off in January!

mightynine said:
Do I pick up the Xbox Gold membership? .

Sign up for silver and then it will give you a free month of Gold. That will give you a month to find a cheap 1 year gold card. It can often be found for $39.99 or less.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
geow is argubly the best game on the 360 right now, so i wouldn't pass it up.
graw is great.
i hate oblivion.

read ign and look at what genre's you like and read the reviews.. they can best tell you what to expect from each game.

sonic... i played the demo at hate the controlls sadly. the story and etc. didn't bug me at all, just the inability to play the game using my controller.

oh and get the burger king games. (actually, i haven't played them)

Norse said:
for cheap you can get tony hawk 8 at target for 39 dollars, saints row for 39 at best buy, gears is 39 at target as well.....get these 3 and return your basketball game...the 2k7 basketball games are good, the EA sports ones blow.
pgr3 is cheap and good as well, and nhl 2k7 rocks

Great advice all around.

And NHL 2K7 really rocks . . . even if you are not a hockey fan, it is just a great fun game. Think of it as rollerball . . . It is a great fast moving and very physical game.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oh man - how could I forget Condemned? Definetely one of, if not THE scariest games out there period...

Norse

Skilotonn said:
Oh man - how could I forget Condemned? Definetely one of, if not THE scariest games out there period...

yeah, its good......but FEAR demo gave me the willies more.

Oh, and NHL 2k7 is awesome online. My nephews and I play online weekly and never any lag.

Get yourself some rechargable batteries and a charging stand.

Alot of people swear by the play and charge, but I'd rather stab myself than ever have another wire to a controller. I have the MS charging base, and another battery (total of two) and second wireless controller. I know a lot of people with the Nyko charging stand, it comes with two batteries, which'll save you twelve bucks. If you have two controllers and four batteries, you can always just keep two in the charger and one in each controller, and you'll never have to use your AA's again...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Norse said:
yeah, its good......but FEAR demo gave me the willies more.

Oh, and NHL 2k7 is awesome online. My nephews and I play online weekly and never any lag.

The FEAR demo is all sorts of awesome, but to me, it's moreso because of the enemy A.I. and the bullet-time and weapons, along with the locked down 60 fps...

To me, the Condemned demo is MUCH more creepy, especially with the sound up and the lights dimmed...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
pgr3 should be dirt cheap now that its bundled with systems and with the wheel. definitely pick that up. its a great racer and GORGEOUS to boot.

dead rising is fcuk awesome.

gears is incredible. definitely worthy of the hype.

i loved graw, mainly for its single player.

motogp is excellent... if you dont mind wildly fluctuating framerates and some screen tearing. may want to wait for the inevitable next game in the series unless your a huge racing fan.

call of duty 2 is very very good. personally, i'd skip 3 though. it just isnt as well crafted as part 2 despite looking loads better.

xbox live gold is a must. all of the above games have excellent multiplayer modes.

oh, and pick up geo wars if you havent already.

JB1981

op_ivy said:
pgr3 should be dirt cheap now that its bundled with systems and with the wheel. definitely pick that up. its a great racer and GORGEOUS to boot.

dead rising is fcuk awesome.

gears is incredible. definitely worthy of the hype.

i loved graw, mainly for its single player.

motogp is excellent... if you dont mind wildly fluctuating framerates and some screen tearing. may want to wait for the inevitable next game in the series unless your a huge racing fan.

call of duty 2 is very very good. personally, i'd skip 3 though. it just isnt as well crafted as part 2 despite looking loads better.

xbox live gold is a must. all of the above games have excellent multiplayer modes.

oh, and pick up geo wars if you havent already.

Good suggestions. How much is MotoGP these days? I really enjoyed the demo. Played it constantly.

FightyF

Banned
I second NHL 2K7, GoW, GRAW...but I also really like Saint's Row.

If you're into GTA, get Saint's Row.

There's not enough Saint's Row love in this thread.

Saint's Row.

But I do suggest just getting all the demos...like, as much as you can. Because a LOT of these games have demos. Very few of these mentioned games have demos. GoW and GRAW do not have any demos...but that's all I can think of ATM.

So dload like crazy!

I love puzzle games, and XLBA is an excellent source for them! Zuma is one I play a lot, I've played the demo for Astropop like crazy. Of course, GeoWars is a good pick. DOOM with th 360 pad is like PB & J.

Again, dload the demos!

bumpkin

Gears of mother ****ing War compels you to buy it, and since it's on sale for $44.99 at Best Buy this week, you have NO excuse not to!

I snagged myself a copy last night... What's funny is I walked by this guy in the 360 aisle, saw Gears (it was what I went to get), and grabbed it. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the guy checking the shelf below for more copies. :lol

Merry Christmas to me!

mr_nexus

Banned
I broke down and decided to pick up a 360(never an Xbox fan before) when I got tons of Christmas cash. There is a sale on at Best Buy (Canada) for $449 CAN w/ GRAW and XBLA: Unplugged. I'm going to pick-up Gears of War as well as some older Xbox games as soon as I can. Wii can wait until they come out with games like Super Mario Galaxy Metroid Prime 3.

clashfan

mightynine said:
Gamertag is mighty9ine by the way, if anyone would like to add me. (Shockingly, mightynine was taken. Bastards.)

Anyways, where to I go from here? Do I pick up the Xbox Gold membership? What games do I get (I bought NCAA 07, Table Tennis, and got Call of Duty 2 for free)? Is Gears of War that good? Is Sonic The Hedgehog as awful as I think it is?

Just looking for some help from the GAF experts.

I hope you have a hdtv, it makes the experience more enjoyable.

mightynine said:
Do I pick up the Xbox Gold membership? What games do I get (I bought NCAA 07, Table Tennis, and got Call of Duty 2 for free)? Is Gears of War that good? Is Sonic The Hedgehog as awful as I think it is?

Buy some games that support xbox gold and play them within the first month. The games that you should get are gears, dead rising, Fight Night Round3 and there are a few other good ones that are not coming to mind. Gears really was that good though it needs a patch for the online multiplayer. Sonic really is as awful as you think. Sonic was horrible. Bad loading times and really bad controls. They did what I thought was impossible and made the camera WORSE. An important thing to do is go on xbox life and download demos. Thats a really easy way to figure out what games you might enjoy. On a side note: Get geometry wars ASAP for your xbox live arcade and don't bother with street fighter 2 which is a turd due to bad controls.

edit 1:
Ohh you might want to consider renting dead rising if you have an sdtv since it displays a bunch of the text small (though I would argue what it displays is unimportant). Capcom said they are not going to fix it.

Don't listen to the Dead Rising haters. 70% of the haters barely played the game and don't even know how to play the game. Half the time they complain about weapons breaking but when I ask them what books they were holding they don't even know the magazines increase the durability of weapons. And even MORE people don't realize you can have multiple magazines / books that effect the same type of weapons and yes you get 4 times the durability in that case.

Just band-waggoning ignorance. Rent it, it's one of the most well designed games this year.

I also really liked Prey, and Condemned.

Prey was a fun little experience and Condemnend was one of the best survival horror games I've played in so so long. Definitely not your typical launch game crap.

Hyrup66

Banned
mightynine said:
Gamertag is mighty9ine by the way, if anyone would like to add me. (Shockingly, mightynine was taken. Bastards.)

Anyways, where to I go from here? Do I pick up the Xbox Gold membership? What games do I get (I bought NCAA 07, Table Tennis, and got Call of Duty 2 for free)? Is Gears of War that good? Is Sonic The Hedgehog as awful as I think it is?

You shoulda bought a PS3 !

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
mightynine said:

RENT Dead Rising. You're either gonna like it alot, or hate it. There really is no inbetween.

Gears of War is a must.
I finally played Sonic. Its not as bad as folks make it sound like it is. But it ISN'T very good, and I don't recommend buying it.

If you like scary games, I recommend Condemned. F.E.A.R. is really good too, but you already have a shooter, and if you get Prey, or GRAW, or R6: Vegas, you'll start getting burned out on shooters.

Kameo and Project Gotham Racing 3 are both excellent, and can be gotten for cheap now.

bumpkin said:
Gears of mother ****ing War compels you to buy it, and since it's on sale for $44.99 at Best Buy this week, you have NO excuse not to!

Gears of War is only $39.99 at Target this week . . . I bought a copy to mail to my brother so I can play co-op with him online.

SUPREME1

Banned
RainbowSix:LasVegas
FightNight3
F.E.A.R.
GhostRecon:AdvancedWarfighter
GearsofWar
SplinterCell:DoubleAgent (If you liked Chaos Theory.. you'll like this)

Download LostPlanet:ExtremeCondition

GO.

flarkminator said:
Don't listen to the Dead Rising haters. 70% of the haters barely played the game and don't even know how to play the game. Half the time they complain about weapons breaking but when I ask them what books they were holding they don't even know the magazines increase the durability of weapons. And even MORE people don't realize you can have multiple magazines / books that effect the same type of weapons and yes you get 4 times the durability in that case.

Just band-waggoning ignorance. Rent it, it's one of the most well designed games this year.

Dead Rising was the first game I bought on my 360. I played it all the way through and played the extra mode for an hour or two. Sunk MANY hours into the game overall. Had the magazines that increased durability. Used all the weapons. Settled on the mini-chainsaw and the double durability set of books. I know *how* to play the game.

And it was definitely fun chewing through piles of zombies.

Except that's pretty much ALL you do. The whole experience was exceedingly fetchy and repetitive. It's a game that can be summed up in a 20 minute demo. You walk out, you chainsaw some zombies, you giggle at the splatters, you run around and try to save retarded hostages, you giggle at more splatters, you get bored and you're done. A day later, you pick it up and do it again. After a couple of days the whole experience felt very stale. That is my opinion of the game. And, to me, it definitely doesn't qualify as one of the best designed games of the year. The game hosts an archaic save system, average visuals, embarassingly frequent load times and, above all, insane *INSANE* repetition.

The reason I'm saying this is because the game actually made my new machine that I spent around $650 to play (360 premium, additional controller, 2 battery packs, play & charge kit, Dead Rising and a warranty) pretty bitter. It is a good rental. Maybe even to worth owning. But as far as showcasing your purchase it isn't worth it, in my opinion. Get Gears. Hell, I returned Dead Rising and bought GRAW and didn't regret it for a second. Dead Rising should be played once you've already awed yourself with what the 360 can do.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Dead Rising was the first game I bought on my 360. I played it all the way through and played the extra mode for an hour or two. Sunk MANY hours into the game overall. Had the magazines that increased durability. Used all the weapons. Settled on the mini-chainsaw and the double durability set of books. I know *how* to play the game.

And it was definitely fun chewing through piles of zombies.

Except that's pretty much ALL you do. The whole experience was exceedingly fetchy and repetitive. It's a game that can be summed up in a 20 minute demo. You walk out, you chainsaw some zombies, you giggle at the splatters, you run around and try to save retarded hostages, you giggle at more splatters, you get bored and you're done. A day later, you pick it up and do it again. After a couple of days the whole experience felt very stale. That is my opinion of the game. And, to me, it definitely doesn't qualify as one of the best designed games of the year. The game hosts an archaic save system, average visuals, embarassingly frequent load times and, above all, insane *INSANE* repetition.

The reason I'm saying this is because the game actually made my new machine that I spent around $650 to play (360 premium, additional controller, 2 battery packs, play & charge kit, Dead Rising and a warranty) pretty bitter. It is a good rental. Maybe even to worth owning. But as far as showcasing your purchase it isn't worth it, in my opinion. Get Gears. Hell, I returned Dead Rising and bought GRAW and didn't regret it for a second. Dead Rising should be played once you've already awed yourself with what the 360 can do.

It's good to see an informed opinion on the game. And I totally respect that.

I disagree that the game is summed up by just running out and splattering some zombies. Splattering some zombies was a means to an end, the meat of the game for me was the very well done campy story, and how it really captured the Dawn of the Dead feel, with the overwhelming odds of the zombies -- especially at night.

It's a love it or hate it game, thats why i definitely think you should rent it first, but I don't think one should write it off without trying it for yourself. I just really hate the misinformed opinions that surround the game.

Ok I'm an Inafune fanboi....

Odysseus said:
original poster guy

everyone here who is suggest dead rising

they hate games. more than that, they hate life.

indiana-jones.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions - this gives me quite a lot to work from.

And am I the only one who picked up Sneak King?

Oh, and does Table Tennis have a blur, or does my HDTV has some ghosting issues?

shpankey

not an idiot
speculawyer said:
And NHL 2K7 really rocks . . . even if you are not a hockey fan, it is just a great fun game.
agreed

my favs [no order]...

Prey [really underrated]
PGR3
Tomb Raider Legend
NHL 2k7
NBA2 k7
Gears
Rainbow Six Vegas
GRAW
Oblivion
Fight Night Round 3
Condemned
Ridge Racer 6
Call of Duty 2 & 3
Dead Rising
NFS: Most Wanted
Madden 07
Hardwood Spades [i spent more time with this than all other games combined]

Just about every game in this thread is indeed worthy of recommendation. By choosing earlier to just list a few games, I did a disservice to other favorites such as Condemned and Kameo which are both top-notch yet very different types of games (dark, violent and well-crafted first-person survival-horror vs. vibrantly colorful action adventure).

Lots of great gaming to be had on 360.

ccharla

Chaotoroboto said:
Get yourself some rechargable batteries and a charging stand.

Alot of people swear by the play and charge, but I'd rather stab myself than ever have another wire to a controller. I have the MS charging base, and another battery (total of two) and second wireless controller. I know a lot of people with the Nyko charging stand, it comes with two batteries, which'll save you twelve bucks. If you have two controllers and four batteries, you can always just keep two in the charger and one in each controller, and you'll never have to use your AA's again...

I did the math on this, and at the rate I use batteries on my 360, I'll need to use the system for like 10+ years before the charging stand would be better than buying Walgreen's AAs -- and forget about it if you're near an IKEA and their 99c for 10 AAs.

Norse

ccharla said:
I did the math on this, and at the rate I use batteries on my 360, I'll need to use the system for like 10+ years before the charging stand would be better than buying Walgreen's AAs -- and forget about it if you're near an IKEA and their 99c for 10 AAs.

that a boy...fill up a frickin landfill of shit batteries.

Odysseus

Banned
ccharla said:

And since Microsoft will only support the system for three more years, you're in good shape!

Philthy

I would personally rent GoW instead of buying it. The game was far too short, IMO.

Outside of that, PGR3 is a fantastic arcade racer, with some mind blowing detail on the cars. This is very cheap now, and I'd consider it a must buy at this price point. Graw and Rainbow 6 Vegas are really kickass tactical squad shooters, if thats your thing. Neither should disappoint. Viva Pinata is quickly becoming one of my favorite games on the system. Everything about it is addicting and OCD inducing. If you like Sims style games, this should be on your list. The graphics just blow me away every time I fire this up. Oblivion and Enchanted Arms will fill your RPG thirst. The former is more of an Adventure RPG, while Enchanted Arms is a straight up, and nicely done JRPG. Ninety Nine Nights is a fun beat em up. I loved it, but I found this is a mixed bag for some people. Generally if you like the demo you can download, you will like the game even more. So give the demo a try.

As far as Live goes. My favorite games on there are Doom, which was an awesome port, and Lumines, while "expensive", is really addicting, and the music alone was worth the purchase for me. All live games have demos available, so check em all out. I have about 5 friends that are so absolutely addicted to ZUMA it isn't even funny. I never saw what was so fun about it, but you might.

Oh jesus, almost forgot Saints Row. If you like GTA, you will probably like this game as well.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
JB1981 said:
Good suggestions. How much is MotoGP these days? I really enjoyed the demo. Played it constantly.

i'm not sure. i bought it when it came out and its consistantly one of my more played games. i really like it, but its kind of hard to highly recommend it to people cause it really does have some glaring flaws and, like i mentioned, should be seeing a yearly update soon (if the xbox versions were any indication)

Philthy said:
I would personally rent GoW instead of buying it. The game was far too short, IMO.

Gears is short. However, it has (at least for me) a ton of replay value. I've had it since release and after work most days I fire up my Xbox, load up a level (I like Act 4 - "Campus Grinder" or Act 1 - "Knock Knock" a LOT for this) and just shotgun baddies for a nice de-stresser. The game looks unfreakingbelievable still and sounds marvelous. (The pop of that shotgun going off on the sweet spot of some locust accompanied by a raining mist of blood and chunks is pretty much gaming nirvana for me.)

Bottom line: If there is just one game you're going to buy at this point for a 360 and you like shooters at all ... Gears wins hands down. At least that's my vote.

1. Buy Condemned: Criminal Origins
2. Wait until dark, turn all the lights off, and wear headphones if possible
3. Pee thyself

Carlisle said:
On purpose?

I kid, 360 4tw and all that
stealthtroll.jpg

Anyway, my faves so far are Viva, GOW, Dead Rising, and PGR. DR has it's flaws as people have pointed out, and PGR has absurd load times, so be ready for that.

Top Bottom