• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally broke down and bought a 360

ccharla

Norse said:
that a boy...fill up a frickin landfill of shit batteries.

It's impossible to tell which has a worse effect on the environment... Buying and disposing 20 or 40 AAs over the next ten years, or recharging a battery. Recharging the battery requires:

- transporting inefficiently created power to my house
- inefficiently charging a battery that is less efficient than a standard AA
- leaving my 360 plugged in all the time, trickling away more electricity
- still disposing of the battery and the charger, and all the associated plastic at some point

You can see some details on energy cost for disposable vs. rechargeable cells here: http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Battery-Energy.html. Rechargeables tend to actually have a much higher watt-hour cost. In this case, I merely considered my out of pocket costs for the AA batteries vs. the charging station, not the actual watt-hour costs of AAs vs the charging station (but if I had, the charging station would have been pw3nd anyway.)

Buying AAs is more energy efficient, but it does have a greater local cost in terms of landfills (although we have to recycle all batteries now in CA), but the energy cost to society is higher with rechargeables. So, local pollution vs. energy waste. It's a tough decision.

Plus, we don't even know what the lifecycle of the rechargeables is, and my personal costs in $$ are higher w/ recharging vs. replacing. So, it comes down to... fill a landfill, or deplete earth's non-renewable energy resources, while spending more $$ out of pocket. I'll take the landfill, thanks.

In regards to my "shit" batteries, Walgreens batteries offer the best price/performance ratio for consumer electronics. They don't last quite as long as Energizer or Duracell, but they are a fsckload cheaper. Search for "walgreens" in this link: http://www.youth.net/nsrc/ejournals/ejou024.html and you can see the details from some student paper that replicates research done plenty of times elsewhere.

Finally, it's imporant to note I based this all on my personal 360 usage, and the fact that batteries tend to last a long freaking time in game controllers. If I played my 360 24/7, or batteries only lasted a couple three weeks in the 360 controller, rechargeables or the charging station might make more sense. But it doesn't.

ccharla said:
It's impossible to tell which has a worse effect on the environment... Buying and disposing 20 or 40 AAs over the next ten years, or recharging a battery. Recharging the battery requires:

- transporting inefficiently created power to my house
- inefficiently charging a battery that is less efficient than a standard AA
- leaving my 360 plugged in all the time, trickling away more electricity
- still disposing of the battery and the charger, and all the associated plastic at some point

You can see some details on energy cost for disposable vs. rechargeable cells here: http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Battery-Energy.html. .

Interesting but off-topic discussion. BTW, you seem to disregard the cost of charging those non-regargables and the cost of packaging and shipping them to your house. I think those packaging & shipping costs will tilt things toward rechargeables.

And if not, then throw some damn solar panels on your room and recharge them will clean power! :D

Norse

and you just keep those dead batteries separate from you other trash, yes? lol..yeah right. Same trash can as the empty twinkies box I tells ya.

Each time you run to the store to buy batteries you burn gasoline thus polluting the air, etc, etc. Those batteries use enegery to be produced as well....so all the energy used to make all those batteries you go through adds up.

LOL..I am just yankin your chain dude...its all good. And I agree, the 360 controller seems to last a long time on 1 set, or 1 charge. Either way.

ccharla

Norse said:
and you just keep those dead batteries separate from you other trash, yes? lol..yeah right. Same trash can as the empty twinkies box I tells ya.

Each time you run to the store to buy batteries you burn gasoline thus polluting the air, etc, etc. Those batteries use enegery to be produced as well....so all the energy used to make all those batteries you go through adds up.

LOL..I am just yankin your chain dude...its all good. And I agree, the 360 controller seems to last a long time on 1 set, or 1 charge. Either way.

Right on! Unfortunately I majored in this crap in college (energy and environmental policy)so I think about it too much!

Dragging the thread back on topic, I'll suggest a rental of Kameo, not for fun, but just to get your gamer score up a quick 1000 or so... Also PGR if no one has suggested it before.

Re: DeadRising
flarkminator said:
It's a love it or hate it game, thats why i definitely think you should rent it first, but I don't think one should write it off without trying it for yourself.

For me it is a 'love it AND hate it'. When I'm killing zombies with random objects I pick up in the mall, I LOVE it. When I forget to save and then die & lose all my progress, shoot a boss 10 times in the face and he doesn't die, have to start over to get to a mission I missed, get killed by the psychos in the mad max jeep, etc. . . . I HATE IT!

The game deserves a sequel with lots of the crappy aspects removed.

Norse said:

It is actually illegal to throw batteries in the trash in California now. I'm sure it happens all the time, but you are not supposed to do it.

g23

European pre-madonna
Do people still even play BFME II online? I'm arguing with myself on whether to purchase it...but I don't want to jump into a dead online game.

pr0cs

darkbanjo said:
Is Dead Rising or Saint's Row the better game?

ANSWERS. NOW.

kinda like comparing apples and oranges, they're very different games imo.

I played Saint's Row longer but enjoyed both a lot. Really, you should buy both if you like games.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
2b3grna5 said:
get oblivion, dead rising, saints row and gears of war. download a few xbox live arcade games - like my personal fav geometry wars. and lastly put some cash aside for Lost Planet.

I agree with this post

I prefer Saint's Row over Dead Rising. The main reason for me is that I found Saint's Row easier to pick up and play for only a few hours at a time.

Saint's Row has a terrible storyline/ending compared to the GTA series;and it has some crazy glitches.

Dead Rising can become frustrating if you can't put in a long session,and the conrols are a little wonkers.

In the end,I am anxious to play sequels to both games.

Gek54

darkbanjo said:
Is Dead Rising or Saint's Row the better game?

ANSWERS. NOW.

Saints Row is GTA but just about everything improved. I was burned out on GTA half way through San Andreas but loved Saints Row till the end and after with online.

Reikon

speculawyer said:
It is actually illegal to throw batteries in the trash in California now. I'm sure it happens all the time, but you are not supposed to do it.

The law is really aimed more at big businesses.

Charge pack is a must, remember you can charge from any usb related device like a pc or dvd players that have the ports etc (of course they need to have power ging to them first)

Dead Rising is like half price around my area now so it's totaly worth £25, Saints row if you like GTA style games.

TiVo

Add me to the list.

Bought a 360 last Sunday. Gamestop Warranty on the system and scratch warranty on games(heard to many horror stories). Froze up on me 3 times already on Gears.

GamerTag = Un4rmedBl4ckM4n

Games I have = Gears of War, Battlefield 2:Modern Combat
Games I plan on renting/buying = Dead Rising, Battlefield: bad Company, Halo 3, Crackdown & Def Jam Icon.

Probably get a PS3 when the price drops to the current Wii price.

XSamu

Banned
Buy (now!):
Gears of War
Oblivion
Condemned
Saints Row
Lost Planet

If you did not own a Xbox, get:
Ninja Gaiden Black (best game ever)
Chronicles of Riddick
Fable (it did not live up to the hype, but it was still a great game)

XSamu said:
If you did not own a Xbox, get:
Ninja Gaiden Black (best game ever)
Chronicles of Riddick
Fable (it did not live up to the hype, but it was still a great game)
I don't think Riddick is BC, unfortunately... I'd really like to play it too :(

TiVo said:
GamerTag = Un4rmedBl4ckM4n

Here is a woman for you:
wilfredoh7.gif

Oh, that was bad taste. :lol

Congrats on the xbox 360 buy, it is a great system. Getting the warranty was a good move. You can get some of the great older games for low prices. I'd suggest taking a look at CoD2, Condemned, Burnout, PDZ, etc.

SpokkX

Good for you, my Xbox 360 recently just broke down :(

Great games and software, crappy unstable hardware.

Oblvion, Gears, Dead Rising, PDZ and Viva Pinata are my favorites.

Top Bottom