• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem 3DS coming to NA

XeroSauce

It's not surprising, but it's still stupid. If you're disappointed, the only person you have to blame is yourself and your foolish expectations.

I am surprised by the big positive reaction by ShockingAlberto's post. You guys find it that revelatory?

Hahahaha, you have no idea.

It's easy to take the high road and say "I never expect anything, you are all children" but in reality, the event and the society is produces self-generates hype. That's just how it works. You talk to your friends, you watch videos..you naturally become expectant of great things.

Somnid

ShockingAlbeto's post should have been fairly obvious. Iwata started the whole Nintendo Direct thing for two reasons:

They wanted to directly connect with fans
They wanted to spread information throughout the year

There is no reason to announce anything beyond 2012. Somewhere around October they will likely do another Nintendo Direct and public demonstration of Wii U. They will probably make more announcements. And again in January for the 1st quarter 2013 lineup.

And they will save some megatons for E3 because it's a good mid year time to make reveals. Pikmin 3 is awesome, but just because people pestered Miyamoto until he leaked shouldn't diminsh the fact that it's Pikmin 3 and we'll probably be playing it this year. But people also need to learn that there's other things out there besides shooters and games about killing people and they are just as important to demonstrate. Don't like Just Dance? Deal with it because it's every bit as important as The Last of Us.

Solune

i dont know why people arent realizing this. and its not to say that e3 will never be good again, its just that this year doesnt have any surprise games. nintendo did announce some new IPs and we didnt know about (nintendoland, scribblenauts, p-100) but unfortunately GAF doesnt care about them so its the worst e3 to ever happen to them.

Except that Scribblenauts isn't a new IP. It was in general, a poor E3 because alot of titles have been known about or aren't shaping up to look all that impressive not because they are ignoring interesting titles. And a mini-game collection isn't exactly something that attracts core gamers.

zroid

Banned
ShockingAlbeto's post should have been fairly obvious.

I think we all kind of knew it in our hearts (hell, game sites have been writing about it for months now), but it's the kind of pithy truth that cuts beneath our delusions.

Busaiku

Okay, guys.

ShockingAlberto real-talk here.

E3 isn't what you think it is anymore, at least not for Nintendo. This isn't to say it's for casuals or hardcores or time travelers or whatever. It's a show, in the middle of the year, in an industry that no longer needs to depend on shows in the middle of the year. Ubisoft did the best this year because they happened to have a new IP ready, the timing was right after the AC3 reveal, the the Wii U NDAs let them reveal that game here this year. Not because E3 is Christmas.

Sony is pretty much the only one who still treats E3 like the event you guys want it to be and they are hilariously incompetent at it.

Look at all the games and publishers who pulled out this year. Their was more worth to spending time working on the games than taking a week out of your schedule and however many weeks before to getting a playable version of your game set up for E3. Even Capcom couldn't be bothered to really have a presence for their 2013 titles this year.

E3 is about the next six months. It is about the year it is in. In a world with high-speed connections and a site exclusively dedicated to show trailers of video games, E3 pressers are ways to build up hype for the games you can sell this year.

Santa Claus isn't real. And moreover, you no longer get presents on Christmas day. It sucks, but this is reality now.

But what about 2010.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Don't like Just Dance? Deal with it because it's every bit as important as The Last of Us.
People were mad about Just Dance?

I know a hell of a lot of people who love that series. They would seriously buy a Wii U or Kinect or whatever for that because it's basically the game they play at gatherings/parties or campus events or community stuff.

MechaX

Okay, guys.

E3 isn't what you think it is anymore, at least not for Nintendo. This isn't to say it's for casuals or hardcores or time travelers or whatever. It's a show, in the middle of the year, in an industry that no longer needs to depend on shows in the middle of the year. Ubisoft did the best this year because they happened to have a new IP ready, the timing was right after the AC3 reveal, the the Wii U NDAs let them reveal that game here this year. Not because E3 is Christmas.

Sony is pretty much the only one who still treats E3 like the event you guys want it to be and they are hilariously incompetent at it.

Look at all the games and publishers who pulled out this year. Their was more worth to spending time working on the games than taking a week out of your schedule and however many weeks before to getting a playable version of your game set up for E3. Even Capcom couldn't be bothered to really have a presence for their 2013 titles this year.

E3 is about the next six months. It is about the year it is in. In a world with high-speed connections and a site exclusively dedicated to show trailers of video games, E3 pressers are ways to build up hype for the games you can sell this year.

Santa Claus isn't real. And moreover, you no longer get presents on Christmas day. It sucks, but this is reality now.

Given the paradigm shift that has been happening with the companies over the past several years since E3 became a closed event, this is pretty much expected. I'm personally more indifferent to the main conferences of the big three for that very reason.

My personal problem with the 3DS conference in particular is not so much that they used the time to talk about games that are coming this year alone. Nintendo did that the last time they had a separate event outside of their main conference. My personal problem was that the 3DS event itself was mostly a waste of time by featuring titles that we already have some knowledge about; I would have thought that they would have used that hour to show case other third party games that we know are coming this year (Good People Die and Code of Princess), and hopefully bring in some titles that have odd omissions (Layton). Or at the very least, give some information on titles that we already know to be coming (Black and White 2). Sure, games like Good People Die and Code of Princess don't sell, but to be honest, neither is Heroes of Ruin for that matter. And Layton's absence is more baffling than anything else (which may be a result of politics of a different sort). Instead, what I got was Nintendo trying to show me with a straight face either boring footage of interesting games (Paper Mario), drone on with stuff we already know about, or Threediots (which I'm not even sure who this would actually appeal to). In short, I personally lament over the loss of time than anything else.

branny

I think we all kind of knew it in our hearts (hell, game sites have been writing about it for months now), but it's the kind of pithy truth that cuts beneath our delusions.
It also doesn't help that it's in the thread equivalent of a dream come true for most of us.

But what about 2010.
On the bright side, we'll no longer have to deal with games that are announced so far out they eventually become vaporware. :p

edit: Ugh, I think I just reality-slapped myself a bit with that one.

Sianos

But what about 2010.
That was then, this is now. :(

Perhaps spreading the news will do the industry good. No more huge dissapointments and large waiting periods of no announcements.

Still, I'll miss watching the bombs drop and the ensuing fireworks.

I'll probably end up liking FE12 more than FE13: Waifu Emblem. Not a big fan of Sacred Stones, either.

The elitists in the FE community (low turn counts, no RNG 'abuse', final destination, etc. or we'll make fun of you) make contributing or playing FE at a high level not worth the effort.

Anyway, looking forward to it, but I'll still prob. import a JP 3DS to play other unlikely tactics games (Project X Zone, SRW, Daisenryaku, etc.)

Satch

Banned

I know a hell of a lot of people who love that series. They would seriously buy a Wii U or Kinect or whatever for that because it's basically the game they play at gatherings/parties or campus events or community stuff.

Yes, because it was apparently eating up the time for "core" titles.

Except there weren't many "core" titles that were going to be on the stage to begin with.

All of the other events are taking away from E3 and the surprises are leaked to the internet weeks before. What can u expect? Nintendo has decided to reveal info on their own time and use their own methods(Nintendo Direct, press events, social media, etc). As some have said, E3 is for the shareholders now....

Or they got a megaton coming and the ninjas are patrolling hehe

Okay, guys.

I think at least this year, there are two more important factors that lead to our dissapointment:

1. Nintendo's next 6 month for Wii U is not what people expected either [lack of EA and Activision support, ambiguity over online features, pricing, etc.]
2. Nintendo apparently wants all the sales it can get soon after the console launches, so it particularly focused on launch window games NOT to make any potential purchaser disregard their launch offerings and holds out until better games that come out later are released.

All of the other events are taking away from E3 and the surprises are leaked to the internet weeks before. What can u expect? Nintendo has decided to reveal info on their own time and use their own methods(Nintendo Direct, press events, social media, etc). As some have said, E3 is for the shareholders now....

Or they got a megaton coming and the ninjas are pqatrolling hehe
well, Nintendo does have a investors meeting too.
if anything, this is for normal people into the stock exchange; but maybe more importantly, for creating a buzz for the mainstream people

fates

I am surprised by the big positive reaction by ShockingAlberto's post. You guys find it that revelatory?

I think it's because a lot of us remember the magic of old E3s. There's a part of us that understands what he said, but there's that other part of us that just KNOWS someone's gonna walk back on stage at the end with huge stuff.

The latter part of us is always wrong, but we really want it to be right.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Fire Emblem's success in Japan basically guaranteed a North America release. With a good critical reception and word of mouth, this is the perfect game to rekindle interest in the franchise.

Given the paradigm shift that has been happening with the companies over the past several years since E3 became a closed event, this is pretty much expected.

My personal problem with the 3DS conference in particular is not so much that they used the time to talk about games that are coming this year alone. Nintendo did that the last time they had a separate event outside of their main conference. My personal problem was that the 3DS event itself was mostly a waste of time by featuring titles that we already have some knowledge about; I would have thought that they would have used that hour to show case other third party games that we know are coming this year (Good People Die and Code of Princess), and hopefully bring in some titles that have odd omissions (Layton). Or at the very least, give some information on titles that we already know to becoming (Black and White 2). Sure, games like Good People Die and Code of Princess don't sell, but to be honest, neither is Heroes of Ruin for that matter. And Layton's absence is more baffling than anything else (which may be a result of politics of a different sort).

these conferences are all politics/business, not about fans or hype. I'm pretty sure Tretton wasn't the guy pitching the 20min wonderbook thing.

Contracts were signed which lead to year old batman at nintendo conference. I'm pretty sure the whole plan for FE would be on a nintendo direct "We listened to the fans, yadayada".

Somnid

Ever been to a conference thread? I mean there are bad demos like Wonder Book which was excruciatingly long but pretending things like Wii Fit U and Nintendoland don't belong in a conference or somehow constitute bad or unimportant things for Nintendo to show are delusional. My mom owns a Wii thanks to Wii Fit. Just the fact that that happened still blows my mind.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Now people are going to act like they knew there wouldn't be megatons at E3? To be fair ShockingAlberto, I don't seem to remember you tempering everyone's expectations in the Wii U thread.

MechaX

these conferences are all politics/business, not about fans or hype. I'm pretty sure Tretton wasn't the guy pitching the 20min wonderbook thing.

Contracts were signed which lead to year old batman at nintendo conference. I'm pretty sure the whole plan for FE would be on a nintendo direct "We listened to the fans, yadayada".

The conferences were always about politics and businesses, but I guess the key difference (which we are painfully seeing) is that business decisions and e3 hype just don't necessarily coincide anymore.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation

Yes, I wouldn't expect another E3 like 2004 when Nintendo revealed Twilight Princess. I think they're more interested in how their conference is going to be reported in the mainstream press.

Somnid

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/statuses/210570017471864833

"We are excited to confirm a NEW game announcement coming to the US: the new 3DS Fire Emblem! More info to come."

Well better than pretend it didn't happen.

Other slight disturbingness of thigh boobs over here, yes yes and yes.

Still worried about those DLC prices though.

I give it a fair chance they don't charge anything since nobody in the US knows enough about the history to actually pay money for most of those characters.

Satch

Banned
Now people are going to act like they knew there wouldn't be megatons at E3? To be fair ShockingAlberto, I don't seem to remember you tempering everyone's expectations in the Wii U thread.

No, I did expect more than what we got. But, y'know, sometimes you have to realize that things are changing and will continue to do so, and then you can better manage your disappointment.

It also keeps people from making threads about how [insert studio here] made them feel bad.

Hahahaha, you have no idea.

It's easy to take the high road and say "I never expect anything, you are all children" but in reality, the event and the society is produces self-generates hype. That's just how it works. You talk to your friends, you watch videos..you naturally become expectant of great things.

I don't find this attitude convincing. It's not the event. It's not GAF. It's you. You did this to yourself. You could have shut it off, or tempered your expectations, or simply grabbed your own head and smacked some realism into it.

Maybe I sound pompous, but if ShockingAlberto's post was really that remarkable, then I guess that's what I am. I don't know, I just find the attitude after E3 pretty silly.

Nintendo apparently wants all the sales it can get soon after the console launches, so it particularly focused on launch window games NOT to make any potential purchaser disregard their launch offerings and holds out until better games that come out later are released.

These press conferences were for the press, not the consumers. Nintendo was not going to bore the press with tons of minute info about the way the console works, because that's not what the press wants to hear. They want the juicy bits. they want something to pit against Apple next week. They want summaries and broad strokes. That's what happened.

There's plenty of other opportunities for launch software to be announced, and Nintendo is making it clear that they're running on their own timetable.

kDmLH.jpg

King Boo

it's nice that it is coming out here.

too bad the game will lose some funny lines and perhaps the marriage system will change a little.

Somnid

These press conferences were for the press, not the consumers. Nintendo was not going to bore the press with tons of minute info about the way the console works, because that's not what the press wants to hear. They want the juicy bits. they want something to pit against Apple next week. They want summaries and broad strokes. That's what happened.

There's plenty of other opportunities for launch software to be announced, and Nintendo is making it clear that they're running on their own timetable.

Not true. Reggie literally talked into the camera at people watching. They knew who they were talking to. But the expectation is these people weren't necessarily the people who browse IGN daily. Interacting directly via social media and their own website with interviews and trailers cuts out that hardcore-biased middle man.

Top Bottom