• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if NOA taking this out of the NA version makes the developers rethink the inclusion of such a mechanic in the Japanese version of the next game?

Why would it? Like I said earlier, Nintendo of America have historically shown themselves to be pretty terrible about censoring things. That's one area where NoJ should never look to them for judgement.

Vena

Okay ladies and gents, might be a slight twist, not sure, can anyone clarify? The following appears on the official site which just went up yesterday. Under the gameplay section for My Castle:

http://fireemblemfates.nintendo.com/gameplay/

Does that mean just normal support conversations or what? Either way this seems to confirm it further. I hope we get some sort of actual replacement.... The text that I bolded in the quote above gives me a little hope, should it?

This support my theory that they simply removed the minigame but left all of the dialogue/conversations. Basically all of the interactions and character quips will remain but you do not have to poke them with a stylus to get said event, that minigame (called "skinship") was removed and, while not replaced, the remainder of the functionality was left.

Ridley327

I'd argue that it's unlikely that Nintendo's going to double down on the idea, given how controversial the feature was internally in the first place.

This is also why "creative vision" can be a hard term to use in game development, because there are so many stakeholders and so many offering up their opinions.

Yeesh, I really do wonder how it was able to get in if it was being pushed back that hard even during development. It makes Nintendo look like that tragically unhip guy trying to fit in with people half their age, saying and doing stuff they would never bring themselves to do otherwise.

>braces for that Steve Buscemi gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Will have to see about the changes to weapon durability. I don't think removing weight was ever really made up for and was ultimately a negative change, even though it added simplicity/removed complexity.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
This support my theory that they simply removed the minigame but left all of the dialogue.

And hopefully the Live2D models.

Believe.

Either way it looks like we'll have to wait for GameXplain or someone to clarify, because the website is intentionally mum on "conversations." Supports are conversations too but those have nothing to do with My Castle so hmmm...

Vena

And hopefully the Live2D models.

Believe.

Either way it looks like we'll have to wait for GameXplain or someone to clarify, because the website is intentionally mum on "conversations." Supports are conversations too but those have nothing to do with My Castle so hmmm...

Well, yes, leaving the dialogue would necessitate leaving the models. You just can't poke them. I doubt Treehouse would go in and reprogram everything to use 2D assets over the already available and coded for Live2D.

I'd like to believe that having it added back as DLC is a realistic possibility (hell, I'd take it as paid DLC), but I can't imagine it actually happening. It'd require quite a bit of additional localization, not just text but lots of extra voice work as well. But at the very least, I think people should still speak up and make their perspectives known, and hopefully Nintendo may see that and maybe things will be different with the next Fire Emblem. But it's a decision that's disappointing a lot of people, and I think that should definitely be voiced—but preferably in a positive manner. Fates is still a fantastic game, after all, and I think people should definitely pick it up and support it, even though we'll unfortunately be missing out on content outside of Japan.

This is pretty much where people should always be.

Make your voice heard in a civil manner, regardless of if you buy the game or not. If you don't buy the game and don't say anything, you're essentially null. The publisher doesn't know why you made the decision you did and the lack of sale never occurs to them.

Throw your feedback out there and hope more people align with your preferences than don't.

Yeesh, I really do wonder how it was able to get in if it was being pushed back that hard even during development. It makes Nintendo look like that tragically unhip guy trying to fit in with people half their age, saying and doing stuff they would never bring themselves to do otherwise.

>braces for that Steve Buscemi gif

Probably a combination of the fact that the work was already done and other probably fought hard for some version of the feature. It's hard to say, "We paid for and put X number of man hours into this, but we should cut or change it." They did what dev teams all over do, they compromised internally. When you have one team going "MORE!" and one team going "CREEPY" and you're on the more conservative side, you find a middle ground.

Why would it? Like I said earlier, Nintendo of America have historically shown themselves to be pretty terrible about censoring things. That's one area where NoJ should never look to them for judgement.

Because there was already internal disagreement about the feature in NOJ, it's not like it's universally loved in Japan, and the importance of the western market over Japan has increased in recent times.

nukedeggs

Well, yes, leaving the dialogue would necessitate leaving the models. You just can't poke them. I doubt Treehouse would go in and reprogram everything to use 2D assets over the already available and coded for Live2D.
Man I hope so. My beef would be a lot less if I can still get all the dialogue and development!

For more 'interactivity' I'd like a thing where you can interact with them though - something like, you drag your stylus and the character looks in the direction you drag or something like that. But I'd be super happy if I still get the models and the dialogue.

Okay ladies and gents, might be a slight twist, not sure, can anyone clarify? The following appears on the official site which just went up yesterday. Under the gameplay section for My Castle:

Does that mean just normal support conversations or what? Either way this seems to confirm it further. I hope we get some sort of actual replacement.... The text that I bolded in the quote above gives me a little hope.

Well, it's something, but I'm still bothered by the fact we won't get to see the different expressions and whatnot that Tyeforce described.

Firemind

Will have to see about the changes to weapon durability. I don't think removing weight was ever really made up for and was ultimately a negative change, even though it added simplicity/removed complexity.
And then you have pair up which is basically super rescue.

Goddamn do I hate today's handholding culture.

GSR

Does that mean just normal support conversations or what? Either way this seems to confirm it further. I hope we get some sort of actual replacement.... The text that I bolded in the quote above gives me a little hope.

This is probably just referring to support convos, or the little one-liners from talking to units walking around the castle.

As someone who's playing Fates in Japanese: You're really not missing much without the face-rubbing. The bonuses are minimal, the dialogue is a few lines at best. I've honestly never liked the feature, so I'm not sad to see it go, even if I understand why people are concerned about any feature being removed.

Mik317

Because there was already internal disagreement about the feature in NOJ, it's not like it's universally loved in Japan, and the importance of the western market over Japan has increased in recent times.

I hate this so much.

I'd like if they;d both focus on what they are good at and not have this need to appeal to all and thus we end up with this sterile bland experience.

Capcom of last gen...hell most Japanese third parties fucked up trying to appeal to the west.

I hate that this is a thing

RMI

Banned

If you can have the support conversations without the rubbing, that would be great.

What if NOA taking this out of the NA version makes the developers rethink the inclusion of such a mechanic in the Japanese version of the next game?

I think they could have that discussion without cutting the content here.

If Nintendo decides that such a feature really isn't beneficial to the game and fans won't miss it, then they should do away with it. But what i'm saying is that I don't think they should allow NoA's views dictate that. Not with what they've done in the past. As far as sales go, Fire Emblem isn't CoD or GTA where its sales in Japan are so minuscule compared to the west that it's fine to not take their tastes into account. It's a series that sales a million or so copies per entry (at least recently) with Japan taking up 500k+ of that. Japan is probably the biggest single region for the series.

Tyeforce

I wouldn't get your hopes up... In My Castle, your troops populate the castle and you can interact with them. They do stuff like give you items, get random stat boosts, ask for new items to wear, etc. So the description of "build relationships with other characters through conversations" still technically fits even without the touching mode in My Room, but it's completely different. It's like talking to an NPC in a random old RPG at best. This is coming from my friend who has already played the game.

I hate this so much.

I'd like if they;d both focus on what they are good at and not have this need to appeal to all and thus we end up with this sterile bland experience.

Capcom of last gen...hell most Japanese third parties fucked up trying to appeal to the west.

I hate that this is a thing

I think the trend will only increase unless Japan pulls out of its downward spiral of focusing on niche interests. I'd like to see things play out as follows:

-Japan makes more games with a broader appeal to focus on a worldwide market
-These games actually sell better in Japan, as the broader (i.e. non otaku) market in Japan realizes there are games for them on consoles too
-The Japanese console industry experiences a revival

Instead, all we're going to get is:
-Japanese console industry focuses more and more on niche markets they can reliably get to spend money, shrinking the overall market, making smaller and smaller games as the market shrinks
-Japanese mobile developers continue to make the most money and attract the most talent

Firemind

So its not universally superior to adjacent or separate units anymore?
It's still better than rescue which gave debuffs instead of buffs?

Though enemies being able to use it as well miiiiight make it more interesting, with an emphasis on might because the enemy AI is usually dumb as bricks.

I think the trend will only increase unless Japan pulls out of its downward spiral of focusing on niche interests. I'd like to see things play out as follows:

-These games actually sell better in Japan, as the broader (i.e. non otaku) market in Japan realizes there are games for them on consoles too

-Japanese console industry focuses more and more on niche markets they can reliably get to spend money, shrinking the overall market, making smaller and smaller games as the market shrinks
-Japanese mobile developers continue to make the most money and attract the most talent

In other words, Japanese whale hunting.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I wouldn't get your hopes up... In My Castle, your troops populate the castle and you can interact with them. They do stuff like give you items, get random stat boosts, ask for new items to wear, etc. So the description of "build relationships with other characters through conversations" still technically fits even without the touching mode in My Room, but it's completely different. It's like talking to an NPC in a random old RPG at best. This is coming from my friend who has already played the game.

Ahhh, damnit. You're probably right.

I have spent $300 alone on Granblue Fantasy this month and I just started New Years :D

I'm still hoping that the PS4 game that Cygames is working on is a version of GBF. They've been asked about it specifically but refuse to comment on what it is. The art is fantastic!

kiryogi

Banned
I'm still hoping that the PS4 game that Cygames is working on is a version of GBF. They've been asked about it specifically but refuse to comment on what it is. The art is fantastic!

And the music too! But that's for another thread.

He just said the last gen, that they have been focusing on the West, and see where that's gotten them? It was only this gen, that Square took it upon themselves to refocus on Japan, hence why we're getting SO5, Nier 2 etc. etc. But there are realities that console gaming is in general in a decline, with the convenience of a smartphone being more of a platform for the Japanese in general, that or handhelds.

He just said the last gen, that they have been focusing on the West, and see where that's gotten them? It was only this gen, that Square took it upon themselves to refocus on Japan, hence why we're getting SO5, Nier 2 etc. etc.

Yeah the fact that Japanese developers have no idea how to make a game that appeals to the west, along with a thousand other factors, ensures that my "ideal" situation will not actually come to pass. We're already in the second situation I described, and it's just going to continue.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah the fact that Japanese developers have no idea how to make a game that appeals to the west, along with a thousand other factors, ensures that my "ideal" situation will not actually come to pass. We're already in the second situation I described, and it's just going to continue.

Granblue had the biggest display/showcase @ TGS last year, that's saying something.

Mik317

I rather they not try to appeal to the west. It doesn't actually attract an audience and alienates those who were interested in them prior.

Just do you and people play it. Make good games and it will reach its audience.

The whole appeal of Japanese games (to me at least) is that cultural difference. Take that away for some mass appeal stuff and I think it loses a lot of its uniqueness...especially since appealling to the west generally means a lot of safe stuff (most of the time). Square is the perfect example but also Namco...they are just making games and releasing them here and its awesome. Square is getting a lot of pop because they are "returning" to their roots. Hopefully Capcom (ironically the ones with the most IPs that could bridge the gap) follows. We missed out on some cool as shit last gen because "but da west doe". Let It Die exists probably because of this idealism...and that fucking sucks.

I am not saying everything has to be the other extreme either ( like I will openly admit #FE is "anime as fuck", and I like it for that but not everything needs to be that either) but this idea that everything should appeal to western sensibilities is very lame.

to me...and I could be wrong or just an old (26 year old) man yelling the clouds...and if that is the case then I will hold that L...but man it grinds my gears

It would've been nice if Nintendo reused the Live2D assets for when talking to units in "My Castle" and you talking to them in first person like the Ace Attorney games, but that's just wishful thinking by this point.

I want them to not waste the sprites to goto waste with only the S Rank confessions, but that's wishful thinking also.

Seems some in the fan translation community are pretty adamant that they'll be able to patch the mode back into the US version of the game.

Guess I might be waiting to play the game if so. Didn't want to have to hack the 3DS and potentially bork it, but ah well.

Thank god. That shit could actually have reduced review scores over here.

Oh no, mah metacritics!

Reactions from industry people I've talked to (which mind you isn't a massive sample size) ranged from indifference to amusement over the mode itself. I know one reviewer in particular that will be giving the US version a lower score BECAUSE of cut content.

Right, I bet everyone was worried about review scores.

What's with the snarky tone Poindexter?

It's gonna matter for the future of the series and it's localisations, so yeah, people should care. We need to keep building a fanbase, not scare people off with creepy and weird stuff like this.

I'm glad it's out. I hated Pokémon Amie, and this seems even worse.

Granblue had the biggest display/showcase @ TGS last year, that's saying something.

It was also the most heavily advertised game I saw on TV over new years. Along with a couple of other mobile titles. I think I saw one commercial for a console game, something on 3DS. I saw more advertisements for anpanman games on tablets than that (although that is probably just due to what my daughter was watching...)

kiryogi

Banned
It was also the most heavily advertised game I saw on TV over new years. Along with a couple of other mobile titles. I think I saw one commercial for a console game, something on 3DS. I saw more advertisements for anpanman games on tablets than that (although that is probably just due to what my daughter was watching...)

All is well then!

I know folks feel down about mobile gaming, but when done right, in which case Granblue is, it's high production title, it's really good.

It's gonna matter for the future of the series and it's localisations, so yeah, people should care. We need to keep building a fanbase, not scare people off with creepy and weird stuff like this.

I hope you've been reading the thread to see the different viewpoints, especially the ones that find it baffling and insulting/ignorant to call it creepy like Tyeforce who sees it as lessening of the very few LGBT interactions in the game.

Drop

Review scores are the most worthless things that get associated with games, I personally find the concept of putting the result of a review over the integrity of a product ridiculous.

You're allowed to think whatever you want about the feature that was cut, but I really doubt it would have "scared away" anyone.

Edit: to further elaborate on my first point, there are plenty of reasons that can cause content to be cut, but I find even the thought of cutting content for the sake of reviews slightly disgusting.

Miracle

Holy crap this reached 67 pages!? I remember this thread yesterday when it was 8 pages and thought it was a little high.

I didn't realize this now removed feature could create such a big discussion. 0_0

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Lots of games have shitty, meaningless content that only appeals to a few people even if the game as a whole appeals to a lot more.

Should that content be removed, even if only a few people will be upset by it?
If it makes the game better, yes.

I'm always disappointed when people applaud the removal of content.
Are you also disappointed that your favourite author most probably has an editor? Or that your favourite movie got unused, deleted scenes?

What is with this bizarre notion that more content = always better?

You might as well say that the latest Fire Emblem gaems are shitty content then, since the petting minigame would fit in quite nicely with the feel of the rest of the game.
Well, I see the point you are making about the downward spiral of the FE franchise ;)

You wouldn't have to use it, you're just being egocentric.
I am egocentric because I disagree with you on what is a quality feature in a game and don't want it in?

Uh, okay.

I guess people who don't want Dark Souls 3 to have an "optional" mini-map, an optional level-up-waifu-petting mini-game, or optional QTEs, or optional "easy mode", are also being "egocentric".

Also a game is not better for just having more content, if the added content is supreme shit (like face touching for instance), it lessens the game.
Knowing you I'm not sure if you're sarcastic or not... but I agree completely.

Really curious to see if the "it's localization, not censorship" argument still holds for some if the removal of gay marriage ends up being true.
Of course not. Not all localization/editing decisions are equal.

I hope you've been reading the thread to see the different viewpoints, especially the ones that find it baffling and insulting/ignorant to call it creepy like Tyeforce who sees it as lessening of the very few LGBT interactions in the game.

No, I've not read the entire thread. Only the first page. I don't have the time or patience this late at night. It's nearly midnight here. That means I unfortunately have missed out on this angle.

I'm sorry that some LGBT interactions have been removed, but I still think Nintendo made the right call overall. I'm not calling LGBT interactions creepy, but the general act of "petting" humans. It's weird. This is a strategy RPG, not Tamagotchi. Somethings gotta give, and sometimes some good goes with the bad.

Review scores are the most worthless things that get associated with games, I personally find the concept of putting the result of a review over the integrity of a product ridiculous.

You're allowed to think whatever you want about the feature that was cut, but I really doubt it would have "scared away" anyone.

Edit: to further elaborate on my first point, there are plenty of reasons that can cause content to be cut, but I find even the thought of cutting content for the sake of reviews slightly disgusting.

First off, I've not said that this was cut for the sake of reviews. I'm not Nintendo, and I don't have an uncle who work there so I don't know their specific reasoning.

Perhaps it wouldn't have scared people off, but I still don't see what it's doing in a game like Fire Emblem. First people get upset with Awakening being too much about relationships, now people want them to take it further? I loved Awakening, but I want it to remain appealing to the people who loved it for what it is.

Now don't think I'm a review score junkie, I'm all for reviews dropping a number at the end. But you don't need a number to have a review be negatively affected by something.

I have no problem with Nintendo deciding to cut content that in my personal opinion is an unappealing part of the package. I'm sorry for your loss, but I won't miss it. And I don't think the majority will either, which is probably a thought that struck Nintendo as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom