• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have less of a problem with changes when publishers are open and come out and discuss in full why they made the changes, and what changes they made. Take SFV for example, Capcom has discussed why certain camera angles had changed. ESRB was also asked about it and you kinda got the impression that those angles may have pushed the game into a M rated zone, so it's entirely understandable why Capcom wouldn't want the series to slip into a higher rating over something as small as camera angles. But you really don't get that from Nintendo. They won't even specifically tell you everything that's been taken out and then they won't discuss why it had been removed. I remember that Yakuza 3's changes were brought up in an IGN article. Within two days Sega had explained exactly what had been removed and why they removed it. That gave fans a chance to specifically address the reason why it was removed (in Y3's case it was partly because of a tight localization window and because Sega believed the content wouldn't resonate with western gamers) and tell Sega that they actually did want it. Since then the content has been added in to recent editions of Yakuza. But if fans are having to speculate about why it's being removed then there's no way for them to even try to change Nintendo's mind about the decision for future games.

This I agree with completely. Nintendo should be 100 percent transparent as to why it choose to cut the content and should provide clarification as to what has been cut. The silent treatment helps no one.

Toxi

Banned
Something to keep in mind: Different cultures have different reactions to physical contact in different contexts. In many countries it's normal to greet friends or even strangers with a kiss on the cheek. Do that in Japan and you are going to get some very weird looks.

Firemind

Why? Could be any number of reasons. As it is, the focus with AW is with the COs, whereas it's the individual units themselves in FE. Yet even then, neither Days of Ruin nor Awakening lacked for entertaining interactions between cast members. Very good for increasing appeal. Of course, with something like Awakening, there's a focus on matchmaking between characters that was a factor in older FE games and given increased focus with that game specifically, something that was never a thing with AW. Then there's the issue of gameplay balance, with CO powers having been nerfed significantly in Days of Ruin, whereas Awakening had much simpler maps and was easy to break for anyone interested in doing so.

Certainly can't blame marketing, as Days of Ruin, much like Awakening, had no shortage of it, up to and including televised ads. Unless I were to survey a reasonably large sample of people familiar with Days of Ruin and ask them why they didn't buy it, I see any conclusions as little more than idle speculation. In the event that they were to revisit the franchise, they could just as well make another game with an art style and lighter tone comparable to the older games, then see if not sticking with those things was a factor in chasing everyone away.
There's no reason why Advance Wars can't be as successful as Fire Emblem (outside Japan). The art style isn't as important a factor as you think it is (compare GBA Fire Emblem games with (3)DS Fire Emblem games.) The reason why Days of Ruin failed commercially is because it did the opposite of what Awakening did, namely making it less accessible than what its predecessors did. It turned the game into more of a niche than it already was. Fire Emblem is still a niche franchise, make no mistake. They made a sizable profit with Awakening because it offers various options that appeals to a wide audience. Days of Ruin didn't do that. They made the gameplay more cumbersome and limited. That's the reason why Advance Wars is currently dead. Blame Intelligent Systems.

Korigama

There's no reason why Advance Wars can't be as successful as Fire Emblem (outside Japan). The art style isn't as important a factor as you think it is (compare GBA Fire Emblem games with (3)DS Fire Emblem games.) The reason why Days of Ruin failed commercially is because it did the opposite of what Awakening did, namely making it less accessible than what its predecessors did. It turned the game into more of a niche than it already was. Fire Emblem is still a niche franchise, make no mistake. They made a sizable profit with Awakening because it offers various options that appeals to a wide audience. Days of Ruin didn't do that. They made the gameplay more cumbersome and limited. That's the reason why Advance Wars is currently dead. Blame Intelligent Systems.
For me, Days of Ruin was the first game I played in the series. I didn't have any accessibility issues with it in spite of that. Personally, I'm not interested in blaming Intelligent Systems for anything.

And considering that it's safe to say that Awakening by itself has cleared 2 million copies sold worldwide by now, I'd say FE's time as a niche franchise has since passed (if it ended with Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon, then I'd agree). Should Fates fail to replicate this success, then the matter would warrant reconsideration.

pariah164

Good.

I'm usually one of the bigger outcriers about censorship, but this... yeah. It seemed out of place for Fire Emblem and I'm happy it got cut.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Less content confirmed now....

How badly are stat bonuses going to be redistributed in Conquest where you cannot grind? So I guess any character development that was im the mini game is gone? Less voice acting to pay for so not surprised.

Vena

Less content confirmed now....

How badly are stat bonuses going to be redistributed in Conquest where you cannot grind? So I guess any character development that was im the mini game is gone? Less voice acting to pay for so not surprised.

This doesn't affect conquest. Everything you can do here could be done better in the Spotpass battles.

Pancake Mix

This doesn't affect conquest. Everything you can do here could be done better in the Spotpass battles.

By definition it affects both undeniably, but I'm curious what you mean.

Don't you need to streetpass with people for that or can you just do that online?

If it requires Streetpassing or some absurd workaround with your router in the Western World then no, it does affect Conquest in particular. Obviously it affects both in a way
possibly up to and including ever finding out three character's real names

Pathetic move by NOA, they probably won't even replace it.

RMI

Banned
By definition it affects both undeniably, but I'm curious what you mean.

Don't you need to streetpass with people for that or can you just do that online?

If it requires Streetpassing or some absurd workaround with your router in the Western World then no, it does affect Conquest in particular. Obviously it affects both in a way
possibly up to and including ever finding out three character's real names

I believe there is online functionality that doesn't require any wacky router shenanigans or streetpassing. they talk about adding online in the Iwata Asks.

Pancake Mix

I believe there is online functionality that doesn't require any wacky router shenanigans or streetpassing. they talk about adding online in the Iwata Asks.

Oh, well that's good, still ridiculous that this is either now mandatory in Conquest or stat bonuses have been redistributed because of a harmlese minigame most people didn't even care about. I barely knew about it until I found out the game was going to be cut like this. It's irrational if NOA doesn't properly replace it, which they probably won't. I'm not going to boycott or anything but it's such a weird thing to take a stand on, I'm nervous about losing content from Japanese versions of games with NX now. Didn't think Nintendo would go back to that. Game probably would have been T anyways with a changed line or two. Instead they cut something especially useful in Conquest that provided character development (seriously) and showcased the Live2D assets.

Bullshit.

This thread is funny. Frankly the game could've done with some editing in this department. The feature in question is so ridiculous that it probably improves the game by not having it. People just wouldn't be able to take it seriously otherwise. However I am forever saddened that the world will never know how amazing some of those lines were, I was laughing my head off at points.

That being said there's still apparently something you can do with the private quarters so perhaps it's been replaced by chats of some sort.

Gameplay wise, nothing changes, the game was balanced outside the feature. You just need to be good at the game (still took me 200 hours to beat the damn thing on Lunatic).

pariah164

Oh, well that's good, still ridiculous that this is either now mandatory in Conquest or stat bonuses have been redistributed because of a harmlese minigame most people didn't even care about. I barely knew about it until I found out the game was going to be cut like this. It's irrational if NOA doesn't properly replace it, which they probably won't. I'm not going to boycott or anything but it's such a weird thing to take a stand on, I'm nervous about losing content from Japanese versions of games with NX now. Didn't think Nintendo would go back to that. Game probably would have been T anyways with a changed line or two. Instead they cut something especially useful in Conquest that provided character development (seriously) and showcased the Live2D assets.

Bullshit.
A new vein of salt has been uncovered.

Pancake Mix

A new vein of salt has been uncovered.

Now now, I'm being realistic. Why would I want Fire Emblem's nonsense censored? I'm sure it's the same with you and the...series represented in your avatar. Sorry if it "doesn't fit Fire Emblem" to you, that doesn't matter.

I seriously don't want something I care more about being removed on NX because of Nintendo of America. I'm not talking about a line or two or a case like Xenoblade Chronicles X where they really had no choice.

Yeah, I'll admit I would probably use this feature for a couple minutes on Camilla and get bored and creeped out by it, but I don't like to let NOA make that decision for me in 2016. They really couldn't just change a few lines? My understanding is that three characters disclose something significant during that time too. I'm not sure if it's true but it doesn't matter anymore.

Where was it confirmed?

https://twitter.com/Vahn16/status/692823283578720260

Now now, I'm being realistic. Why would I want Fire Emblem's nonsense censored? I'm sure it's the same with you and the...series represented in your avatar. Sorry if it "doesn't fit Fire Emblem" to you, that doesn't matter.

I seriously don't want something I care more about being removed on NX because of Nintendo of America. I'm not talking about a line or two or a case like Xenoblade Chronicles X where they really had no choice.

That doesn't suggest that the mode is gone entirely and the live2d models can't be viewed. It just says no touching.

pariah164

Now now, I'm being realistic. Why would I want Fire Emblem's nonsense censored. I'm sure it's the same with you and the...series represented in your avatar. Sorry if it "doesn't fit Fire Emblem" to you, that doesn't matter.
Firstly, Senran Kagura isn't a banned game; you can call it by it's name.

And secondly, this thread isn't about life and hometown, it's about face poking and a minigame that came off as creepy to some people, if this thread is any indication.

Is censorship bad? Yes.

But did Nintendo make the right call for the purposes of localization for this series? Also yes.

Drop

Hardly a confirmation, it's the same guy who wrote the article, and he posted an email without posting what he asked, just like the article posted an answer without the corresponding question.

Good, im shocked at the amount of boarderline pedophilic shit thats allowed in some japanese games

The removed content is not even close to being that.

RM8

Well, if there are characters like Ricken or Nowi, and they had suggestive lines in this minigame... then yeah, that could have been a problem.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Good, im shocked at the amount of boarderline pedophilic shit thats allowed in some japanese games
1z9O1ZS.jpg

Pancake Mix

That doesn't suggest that the mode is gone entirely and the live2d models can't be viewed. It just says no touching.

Well that'd be okay with me (as the next best to keeping the minigame) but this is NOA. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Hardly a confirmation, it's the same guy who wrote the article, and he posted an email without posting what he asked, just like the article posted an answer without the corresponding question.

Yeah, hopefully, but unless the article writer is deliberately being obtuse it is pretty close to one.

woopWOOP

It's too bad they couldn't replace it with something else like the Pokemon Gold/Silver remakes did with the Gamecenter (unless they did and just didn't state it yet...). I just hope they didn't forget to place whatever items you could earn from that minigame somewhere else.

pariah164

I CAN, but I'd rather not, localisation and all.
... What does that even mean?

I'm not avatar shaming, I just thought your paragraph was unexpected given that series.
I find it interesting that you felt the need to claim you're nor avatar shaming when I never accused you of it.

That aside, if Senran Kagura was censored, half the game would be... gone. It's rated appropriately, and people who buy it know what it's about. I stand by my statement that the minigame here is silly, creepy (for some), and is out of place for Fire Emblem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom