• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Famitsu info: Characters, gameplay info [Up: Screenshots]

No one will criticize you for that opinion. The artwork was legitimately bad.

I found the art and character design rather decent actually (they were reminiscent of Radiant Historia if only slightly). But the character portraits don't convey that well at all. And the battle animations just are just bad in general, no pomp or cool effects or sound to be satisfying in the way FE games were in 2D and it ended up solidifying IS's struggles with 3D animation until SoV hit the right balance I feel.

OVDRobo

Is Virion not popular? I figured with him being in #FE it was indicative of him being one of the more popular ones.

I didn't play #FE, though after doing some research it seems that it launched a good 6 months after Fates (If, technically) so there wasn't anything stopping them, though did that game have any Fates character allusions in it at all? I'm honestly just uninformed.

Regardless, Takumi seems to be much more popular, at least judging from the Heroes poll and he's also more related to the plot than any other archers such as Virion or Setsuna. We could see Virion for some variance and wildcard selections can't be ruled out since we got Agitha in Hyrule Warriors, but it's just my predictions.

Draxal

I didn't play #FE, though after doing some research it seems that it launched a good 6 months after Fates (If, technically) so there wasn't anything stopping them, though did that game have any Fates character allusions in it at all? I'm honestly just uninformed.

Regardless, Takumi seems to be much more popular, at least judging from the Heroes poll and he's also more related to the plot than any other archers such as Virion or Setsuna. We could see Virion for some variance and wildcard selections can't be ruled out since we got Agitha in Hyrule Warriors, but it's just my predictions.

Basically it used the characters from Awakening and Shadow Dragon (the entire game is pretty much a love letter to Shadow Dragon).

Shadow Dragon and Awakening really doesn't have any popular archers tbh, so Virion and Draug and to a lesser extent Cain got in kinda by default.

The others Chrom/Caeda/Navarre/Tharja are legitimately popular. Cain is more known for his archetype (I would put Draug here as well too ... i guess).

TDLink

I do, I like FE1 more than FE6-9 & FE13-14. Mechanics are outdated, but I just find it much for fun, it has a certain charm to it.

People just have different tastes. Besides to ignore a cast that's part of 2 games(not sure if we're getting FE3/12 exclusive characters. If we are then that would be ignoring 5 games including BS. Not to mention how Marth's tale is the face of Fire Emblem...well, was until Awakening.

I actually like the Shadow Dragon world and cast. I always thought that Awakening made the world so much more dull than it originally was in Shadow Dragon, which negatively impacted the cast. The various countries and layers to the conflict in Shadow Dragon gave it some interesting depth, even if the usual writing was pretty basic.

Besides, it does have some cool characters: Caeda, Ogma, Navarre, the Whitewings, Minerva, Hardin, Merric, Linde, and Tiki are all pretty interesting and memorable. For villains, Shadow Dragon fares better than average, thanks to Camus and Michalis. A lot of Fire Emblem games copied large chunks of Shadow Dragon's cast wholesale, only changing names and personalities to look like new characters.

Well, I'm happy for you guys. It just feels really disappointing that they are completely ignoring the Tellius and GBA games. So many great characters and for people in the west who actually played the games, they hold a special place. Tellius especially is such a great setting and cast and it feels like other than Ike they are almost completely overlooked, consistently.

Josephl64

I have to admit to myself that we're not getting 5 flying chars from Akaneia.

Sheeda, Catria, Palla, Est, and Minerva would be amazing. Would shell out clams for that DLC.

Sheema would be nice as well because variety.

(I legit like Jeorge, but I must admit that archers aren't quite there in SD)

Draxal

Well, I'm happy for you guys. It just feels really disappointing that they are completely ignoring the Tellius and GBA games. So many great characters and for people in the west who actually played the games, they hold a special place. Tellius especially is such a great setting and cast and it feels like other than Ike they are almost completely overlooked, consistently.

I mean no offense, but the series didn't start with the seventh game.

Josephl64

I'd like Micaiah, but it's just how it is right now. If it does well we might get a sequel in addition to DLC so who knows?

Rutger

Banned
Thinking about it, Roy having a decent chance despite not being in the three games could be cool, if the Binding Blade is done justice. Have him throwing long range fire attacks and let him heal, these are still fairly unique to him(and Celica) that Sakurai failed to capitalize on.

If not, oh well. I don't know if I feel like buying a musou game even if it has the FE name, so it's really not a big deal to me.

SkyOdin

I would love to see GBA and Tellius characters; I love those games. I just happen to like the Shadow Dragon cast too. Hopefully Ike, Lyn, and Hector get in at least, even as DLC.

TDLink

I mean no offense, but the series didn't start with the seventh game.

I know that's true, but for the west it kinda did. And I just really wasn't a fan of SD since from my perspective it was a huge step back. I understand it's the very first one remade, but not even just the gameplay...the characters didn't feel as good as 7-10.

I would love to see GBA and Tellius characters; I love those games. I just happen to like the Shadow Dragon cast too. Hopefully Ike, Lyn, and Hector get in at least, even as DLC.

Yeah I am actually sure they'll do them as DLC packs. It's just annoying that if I want to play as all of these character I like I'm going to have to shell out an extra $20. I mean that's not confirmed...but in my heart I know it will be the situation.

Strings

Very, very disappointing re: the character selection, but happy with the large VO target and support conversations.

I'd also just like to mention that there is a screenshot of the 3rd OC and quelle surprise, he's also a swordie.

So that's 8 Swordies now despite them saying they didn't want to clog the game up with swordies.

This guy? This is an OC I can accept, he actually resembles a real FE cast member and not a knock-off avatar protagonist like Shion and Lian. Is this the Darios guy?

Uhhh

Marth, just swords.
Alm, swords, bows.
Celica, magic.
Sigurd? Horse, swords, spears.
Seliph? discount Sigurd.
Leif? All weapons in the game.
Roy? He does use a sword, but the ability to throw fire around diversifies him.
Eliwood? Can also use lances. His sword is also fucking huge.
Lyn? Swords, bows. Definite different style compared to all other sword lords, though.
Hector? Axes.
Ephraim? Spears
Eirika? Well, just swords.
Ike? Swords and axes. His sword is also a laser sword.
Micaiah? Mage
Chrom and Lucina use the exact same sword as Marth, they're actually the biggest problem.
Robin uses swords and magic.
Corrin uses dragonstones and swords.

That's a lot of people that use swords, but not all of them are limited to swords. Plus even the swordlocked lords have enough variety between them to not make them same-y.

I concur. I get that this is a Warriors game that isn't really getting much time in the oven, and as such it's difficult to differentiate each character with intricately unique animations, but it's not really hard as far as the concepts go. Like, Ragnell is so big, you could have Ike swinging it around almost like a cudgel or giant club and it'd make sense. Roy? Kid is kinda small, so emphasize his agility and speed, and let him get really close for attacks (like in Smash).

Of course, I'd rather they'd have just use the other non-sword user Lords, like Hector and Celica, but that's what expensive DLC's are for, amirite?

Velcro Fly

Better be Hector in the main game or announced as DLC.

He is like the axe user of all axe users in the games that have come to NA.

NeonZ

I concur. I get that this is a Warriors game that isn't really getting much time in the oven, and as such it's difficult to differentiate each character with intricately unique animations, but it's not really hard as far as the concepts go. Like, Ragnell is so big, you could have Ike swinging it around almost like a cudgel or giant club and it'd make sense. Roy? Kid is kinda small, so emphasize his agility and speed, and let him get really close for attacks (like in Smash).

The Binding Blade is kind of odd since the artwork makes it look like a standard iron sword, but the sprite animation shows it to be fairly thick and heavy, with Roy changing from using a piercing attack with standard swords to wide slashes with it.

The Binding Blade is kind of odd since the artwork makes it look like a standard iron sword, but the sprite animation shows it to be fairly thick and heavy, with Roy changing from using a piercing attack with standard swords to wide slashes with it.

Which makes Hartmut in those games' lore seem even more like a freak since he's supposed to have dual-wielded the Binding Blade AND the gigantic Eckesachs.

Codeblue

Sacred Stones always seems like it'll be the red headed stepchild of the franchise forever.

No one ever talks about it. None of the characters are popular. It's a shame.

Yeah, it sucks. I'd put it right up there with the Radiant games for my favorite cast.

Uhhh

Chrom and Lucina use the exact same sword as marth

This little bit made me double take while they both use the falchion so does
alm
so lucina and chroms movesets could vary from.marths as can also use spears from there class change

Also for corrin they could have it be like smash where a lot of there moveset involved the dragonfang more then the sword it self

ASaiyan

Banned
  • The vast majority of characters will be from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates.
I like all these characters, but it still feels like a strange choice (as opposed to picking fan favorites from across the series). Hopefully "vast majority" means we can still get a few others like Ike and Roy.

Golnei

I expect each main series to get one villain since they'd need antagonists for the story. Camus seems an obvious choice for FE1, but I guess it gets harder to dump one of the main cast for an antagonist in Awakening and Fates. Although I guess with Fates they could just make the Norh crew antagonists too for some reason.

I'm assuming Robin will be in the game, that'd solve their problem.

Which makes Hartmut in those games' lore seem even more like a freak since he's supposed to have dual-wielded the Binding Blade AND the gigantic Eckesachs.

He's in good company with Altina, then.

ryseing

Sacred Stones always seems like it'll be the red headed stepchild of the franchise forever.

No one ever talks about it. None of the characters are popular. It's a shame.

I dunno, the twins/Joshua/Seth are all fairly popular, and Innes is a personal favorite.

Golnei

Could just go the Fire Emblem Heroes route of 'Oh no, my magic is so powerful that it's torn my clothes in a conveniently revealing way'

After Fates and Heroes, not including clothing damage here would be a regrettable oversight. It's one of the distinguishing factors of the IP which could be very easily integrated into a musou context.

After Fates and Heroes, not including clothing damage here would be a regrettable oversight. It's one of the distinguishing factors of the IP which could be very easily integrated into a musou context.

Clothing damage in a Musou game already has a precedent in Hokuto Musou, at least.

TDLink

I dunno, the twins/Joshua/Seth are all fairly popular, and Innes is a personal favorite.

They might be the most popular characters from that game, but none of them are even close to the widespread popularity that several of the characters enjoy from all of the other western released games. Even the main characters are less popular than the ones from the other games. The game in general is not talked about nearly as much as FE7 or the Tellius games.

Terrell

The vast majority of characters will be from Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates.

.... well, my interest just cratered.

Yes, Dragon Quest targets "everyone", unlike most titles in the Japanese market.

A lot of the market is doubling down on the core teenage audience though since the market is in such large decline that it is back to the 1980s in terms of annual sales revenue.

Which makes very little sense, when you consider that Japan has an equal number of gamers that grew up and kept playing console games as North America does. This is all without saying how little faith the Japanese entertainment industry has in the teenage market, as well.

psyfi

Banned
I haven't played a Musou game since the PS2 and I'm excited to try it out again with FEW. Back in the day it felt too simple to me at a time when I was hungry for more realistic and more complex games. Now I think I'd be more open to it, plus I imagine the gameplay has become more refined overtime (but I obviously have no idea). Long story short: hype!

Also I don't like FE games much, but I love the characters and world. I'm excited to see them in a new genre.

TheRook

I like how you're so fixated on the characters that you failed to comment on the gameplay that is described here.

because there isn't much to comment on? What do you want me to say, wow they integrated the weapon triangle and effective bonuses? That they have character switching? something that past Musou games had? I mean DW8 has it's own take on a weapon Triangle...it's not leap on logic to see how they will implement it in FE:Warriors.

Your not doing much to add to this topic of gameplay either so don't patronize me for not doing so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Which makes very little sense, when you consider that Japan has an equal number of gamers that grew up and kept playing console games as North America does. This is all without saying how little faith the Japanese entertainment industry has in the teenage market, as well.

While Japan definitely has a huge number of games who grew up and kept playing games, it's not clear they play anything but mobile games en masse given what does really well on mobile versus what does really well on console.

There's a definite segment of older brands that are now irrelevant in the console space, but do really well on mobile in Japan.

CazTGG

Lyn or bust.

But really, who the fuck loves Shadow Dragon/FE1? The most boring, characterless entry in the series, by design of course--by being the primitive original game.

I get having Marth. As well as recurring characters that are in multiple games like Tiki and Anna. But anyone else? Why?

To have that be one of the three main focuses is just mind boggling to me.

It's an important entry in the history of tactical RPGs, arguably the grandfather of the entire genre, so focusing on it makes sense...to an extent. The attempt in recent years to glorify the characters and focusing only on that portion of the series has gotten rather obnoxious. It was fine in Awakening given that it was meant to be the last game in the series so its connections to the first were fitting. The same could be argued for Echoes with
its post-game escapade to Archanea given it's likely to be the last 3DS game from the series and thus a fitting conclusion to the revival kicked off by Awakening
. However, the focus on only the more recent entries and FE1 when there's no shortage of characters, be they lords or otherwise, for the series to highlight in the spin-offs does a disservice to the overall series and the advancements made with each new entry, not to mention limits the playstyles they could use. Imagine using the hilarious range of a Gaiden archer or clobbering a group of regular soldiers with Hector jumping and swinging his axe around.

For the record, I like Shadow Dragon just fine, save for the character animations. The original's aged poorly.

I expect each main series to get one villain since they'd need antagonists for the story. Camus seems an obvious choice for FE1, but I guess it gets harder to dump one of the main cast for an antagonist in Awakening and Fates. Although I guess with Fates they could just make the Norh crew antagonists too for some reason.

I thought Medeus would make more sense given he's supposed to come back due to the darkness in the hearts of men.

Seeing either interact with the likes of Valter though...that would be priceless.

TDLink

It's an important entry in the history of tactical RPGs, arguably the grandfather of the entire genre, so focusing on it makes sense...to an extent. The attempt in recent years to glorify the characters and focusing only on that portion of the series has gotten rather obnoxious. It was fine in Awakening given that it was meant to be the last game in the series so its connections to the first were fitting. The same could be argued for Echoes with
its post-game escapade to Archanea given it's likely to be the last 3DS game from the series and thus a fitting conclusion to the revival kicked off by Awakening
. However, the focus on only the more recent entries and FE1 when there's no shortage of characters, be they lords or otherwise, for the series to highlight in the spin-offs does a disservice to the overall series and the advancements made with each new entry, not to mention limits the playstyles they could use. Imagine using the hilarious range of a Gaiden archer or clobbering a group of regular soldiers with Hector jumping and swinging his axe around.
You agree with me so I'm not really arguing with you. But I will just say to the bolded that that is a poor reason (if it's a reason at all). Imagine if this was a Final Fantasy Musou game, and they said the characters would only be from FF13, FF15, and FF1. That's basically what this is like. FF1 is remembered fondly and honored for its place in the genre and setting up the rest of the franchise. FE1 is very much similar in that way. Now to give FE1 some credit over FF1, at least their characters have names...but it's not much better.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You agree with me so I'm not really arguing with you. But I will just say to the bolded that that is a poor reason (if it's a reason at all). Imagine if this was a Final Fantasy Musou game, and they said the characters would only be from FF13, FF15, and FF1. That's basically what this is like. FF1 is remembered fondly and honored for its place in the genre and setting up the rest of the franchise. FE1 is very much similar in that way. Now to give FE1 some credit over FF1, at least their characters have names...but it's not much better.
The fact you're comparing FF and FE in this way...

tsundoku

really hoping the twin mc is just a gender select with one moveset. the boy looka absolutely awful.

Might actually hold off on the preorder and give the game a year to gestate and get a bunch of dlc characters before jumping in. 14 at the start is a good number until they mention "plenty from fates awakening and shadow dragon"

Terrell

While Japan definitely has a huge number of games who grew up and kept playing games, it's not clear they play anything but mobile games en masse given what does really well on mobile versus what does really well on console.

There's a definite segment of older brands that are now irrelevant in the console space, but do really well on mobile in Japan.

Mobile has the same level of lowest-common-denominator pandering to the teenage crowd, though, so I don't see the need to make a distinction like that.

An argument could be made (and I'm willing to accept that such an argument may not be right) that many of the older Japanese gamers won't buy a console without a Nintendo logo on it, though, since Japan's home console space has largely focused on who offered content that appealed to the Japanese market without this low-brow pandering, and the last Sony console that was able to achieve that was the PS2.

Meanwhile, the handheld market flourished, which is where a lot of that content that doesn't pander ended up being for the past 2 generations. So now Nintendo is looked at as the place to be for Japanese gamers looking for Japanese games that don't stoop to the most cynical marketing tactics. One need only look at the surprise success of Splatoon and any rise in interest in Wii U thanks to its release for evidence that this is the case. It just needed a home console worth giving a shit about for these consumers to have some skin in the game again, so to speak.

Rutger

Banned
Sigurd not making it in would be very odd, considering that his section of his game is nothing but mindlessly sending him forward to destroy large waves of enemies. I can't think of another Lord that would feel more at home in a musou game!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
fire-emblem-warriors_zxqdv.jpg

fire-emblem-warriors_omr3u.jpg

fire-emblem-warriors_1ap0i.jpg

fire-emblem-warriors_mhq9m.jpg

Top Bottom