• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox 0.9 is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I'll wait a little while, so I can see what the general opinion on the new version is.

Mairu

Scrow said:
I'll wait a little while, so I can see what the general opinion on the new version is.
Good thinking... I think I'll do the same. Post impressions whoever is downloading! :D

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm getting it, probably won't even tell the difference....

impirius

New features, from the website:
# Easy migration: Switching to Firefox has never been easier now that Firefox imports data like Favorites, history, settings, cookies and passwords from Internet Explorer. Firefox can also import settings from Mozilla 1.x, Netscape and Opera.
# Smaller Download: Continuing efforts to make this the most efficient browser, the Windows version of Firefox is now only a 4.7 MB download, making downloading Firefox a breeze for dial-up and broadband users alike.
# New Default Theme: A new default theme provides a bright new look for Windows and Linux users.
# SmartUpdate: A new SmartUpdate feature notifies users of new versions of Firefox to ensure that the browser is always up to date.
# Help: A new online help system makes this one powerful, friendly browser.
# Extension/Theme Manager: New Extension and Theme Managers provide a convenient and secure way to manage and update the hundreds of add-ons that set Firefox apart from other browsers.

I did an install in a clean directory, and everything's looking great so far. My favorite new feature is the addition of Copy Image to the image context menu. That's one less extension to install. All-In-One Gestures still works fine. The import wizard brought in my Firefox 0.8 settings without a hitch. The Extension and Theme Managers look promising, but they both try to access update.mozilla.org. That probably won't be up for a while, since the server is being hammered and all. I noticed one other nice new thing; when you click on a .XPI file, the "OK" button on the install dialog is greyed out for a couple of seconds. That's a nice little security feature. XPI is still a bit of a hole, though, and I hope the Mozilla folks make it idiot-proof by the 1.0 release.

EDIT: Here's the link to the original theme (Qute) in Firefox 0.9 format.

Dead

well not really...yet
will my extesions work with this new version?

last time i had to go through a bunch of crap to make em work...

Thanks for the link impirius, downloading it now . I also read if you want to install themes now you just do :

Rippped from a post by vh250

"Actually, save the .jars to say the desktop, and then open the themes manager. Drag the .jar into the left side of the manager, and it'll install it."

Midas

#!@!#¤%¤&¤. All extensions gone. Flash wont work etc etc. So... I had a really good adblocker, someone might know which one I used? I think someone talked about it here.

Edit

I hope I can get a theme so it'll look like 0.8, dont like this new look.

impirius

I didn't carry any extensions over from my previous install, but I'd imagine that they would work. There hasn't been any major change to the extensions structure from 0.8 as far as I know, excepting the Extension Manager. MozillaZine has a nice list of confirmed 0.9 compatible extensions... it's up to 88 and counting. It's a particularly handy page right now because the main extensions site is kaput at the moment. :)

There has been a change to theme packages in this release. Mental, I think the technique you quoted is for shoehorning 0.8 themes into 0.9. I'd suggest just waiting for the repackaged versions to show up; I installed the 0.9-native Qute theme simply by clicking on the link to the .jar file.

EDIT: Midas, you probably want AdBlock. It's at the link above.

Dice

So far my impressions are... the new extensions site is slow.

However, as I install new extensions it's not reinstalling all the previous installations on the list all over again. 0.8 did that and it was annoying. Also the adblocker remembered my list, hopefully it will remember my mouse gesture settings as well.

Midas

Thanks impirius. Works perfect.

The new icons isn't ugly or anything like that but I think they take up way too much space.

Dice

Why does my right click menu say "Save link as..." where is my speedy "Save to disk" option?

Googlebar and IE View aren't changing the right click menu at all...

impirius

Midas: right-click on the buttons, choose "Customize", and check "small icons" if you haven't already. Those buttons are huge otherwise.

Dice: IE View had to be repackaged for 0.9; try uninstalling it, getting it from the Mozillazine site, then restarting Firefox. That did the trick for me.

Not Firefox related, but does anyone know what happened to the "Go to first unread post" button on this forum? I miss it.

Dice

It seems to load things faster, but I really liked that save to disk thing. One folder, real convenient, now it's not working. I look in my options and I see "Save everything to this directory" still in place, but it still asks on my right click. Stupid crap.

Mr Gump

Banned
Dice said:
It seems to load things faster, but I really liked that save to disk thing. One folder, real convenient, now it's not working. I look in my options and I see "Save everything to this directory" still in place, but it still asks on my right click. Stupid crap.
Exactly the same problem here and its pissing me off.

Midas

Another question. Flash. How do I get it to work? I installed with the flash installer but it still wont work.

Midas

I had the same problem with 0.8 but I cant remember how I got it to work.

And another question... How can I make Firefox open up ALL url's in a new tab? Like if I click on a link in mIRC or something like that.

Stryder

Try clicking your middle mouse button, IIRC when I did that it asked me what I would like to assign that to do, I selected 'open link in new tab'.. this was when I installed 0.8 and I just imported the previous settings across so I assume you should be able to do that if you've done a fresh install. I couldn't find anywhere in the options that let me change that setting though.

Dice

I should have installed to a new directory. I lost save to disk, all my beautiful tab extensions, IE View and Googlebar options.

Beware this new version!

Vlad

I'm finally trying to get away from IE, but I do have a somewhat newbish question about the whole Mozilla/Firefox thing.

Am I correct in my understanding that Firefox is just another name for the browser component of Mozilla? I downloaded the whole Mozilla package last night (wanted to replace Netscape's mail program, as I was having problems with it), and so far, it's pretty good.

However, I keep getting a "this document contains no data" error every so often. It always happens on a site I know exists (google, GAF, etc), and the site even loads, but apparently, somewhere there's a document containing no data while is making this irritating little error pop up on my screen all the time. I want to stick with Mozilla, but if this continues, I may be forced to retreat to IE.

Midas said:
What's IE View?

Extension that allows you to right-click on a page, choose "View this page in IE", and it opens up in IE. For those times when something doesn't work properly in Firefox.

Vlad said:
I'm finally trying to get away from IE, but I do have a somewhat newbish question about the whole Mozilla/Firefox thing.

Am I correct in my understanding that Firefox is just another name for the browser component of Mozilla? I downloaded the whole Mozilla package last night (wanted to replace Netscape's mail program, as I was having problems with it), and so far, it's pretty good.

I don't believe they're the same yet. Firefox (and Thunderbird) are the successors to the Mozilla applications, so when Firefox hits 1.0 it will become the new standard Mozilla browser.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Moe said:
Works fine for me. I just had to restart my computer, because it didn't help to simply close Firefox.

I had to reinstall it 3 times but finally got it working, still this was a much smoother upgrade install than my experience with the RC version the other day... ugh.

According to the information on the Mozilla Firefox Extenstions page they're aware of the IE View problem. A version has been submitted to bugzilla. So hopefully it'll be updated soon.

Dammit, texturizer.net is down and I can't find a copy of the Deepest Sender extension on the Mozilla site.

SFA_AOK

Can someone tell me what I have to do to go from 0.8 to 0.9? I remember in the move from 0.7 to 0.8 you had to do something like uninstall 0.7 and install 0.8 for it to have all the same settings etc...

So what is it I have to do exactly?

calder

I'm going to stick with .8 at home for a while yet. At least until Tabbrowser Extension (the only extension I really must use) is updated, which could take a while. :p I still don't like how they removed all the tabbrowser options built into Firefox and left it all up to extensions that quite often mess up popular websites for months on end.

But I'm using .9 at work now, and it's nice. The new theme/extension manager is sweet. Shame the default theme is so fugly, but I'll go back to GreyModern or Qute anyway.

One thing I've noticed is that GAF seems to lock up Firefox occasionally. It'll be one thread that always makes it freeze; I can click on other websites normally and most threads here load fine but there will be one thread that will consistently lock up the browser several times in a row. Ironically, this thread was one of them - for about half an hour I could surf the rest of the forums fine but *every* time I clicked on this thread Firefox would freeze. But now it all works fine... weird.

DarienA

calder said:
I'm going to stick with .8 at home for a while yet. At least until Tabbrowser Extension (the only extension I really must use) is updated, which could take a while. :p I still don't like how they removed all the tabbrowser options built into Firefox and left it all up to extensions that quite often mess up popular websites for months on end.

??? Tabbrowser Extension does work with .9 I'm using it right now.

calder

"Works" isn't the same as "doesn't fuck up the login/popups for half the websites I use". ;) I was assuming it wouldn't work because it doesn't show as compatible with .9 on the extension site... but if you say it works I'll test it out.

Shit, I can't find the extension at all at update.mozilla.org, where the hell is it?? It's not listed under tabbed browsing extensions under any version. I can't see it listed under 'all' either.

DarienA

calder said:
"Works" isn't the same as "doesn't fuck up the login/popups for half the websites I use". ;) I was assuming it wouldn't work because it doesn't show as compatible with .9 on the extension site... but if you say it works I'll test it out.

Shit, I can't find the extension at all at update.mozilla.org, where the hell is it?? It's not listed under tabbed browsing extensions under any version. I can't see it listed under 'all' either.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=284

calder

Hey, thanks!

So far, it does indeed work. I owe the author of the extension an apology for my assumption that a new RC would break his extension and it would take weeks to get it updated. ;) Weird it's not listed at update.mozilla, maybe he hasn't submitted it yet or something.

I haven't tried out any of the sites that historically haven't liked TE, but if they at least kinda work (especially my bank and fantasy sports login popups) then I'll update at home too. Thanks Darien.

Bah, the sports pool sites like tsn.com won't work at all now but that doesn't bother me until hockey starts again. But holy shit do I find it annoying how many "professional" sites still don't play nice with anything other than IE (tsn.ca and .com, foxsports...). At least it's getting better, a year or so ago half the sports websites I went to would barely function at all in Mozilla, now at least they just don't display right or the logins are twitchy. I wonder if cbssportsline still crashes if you try to scroll the pics in Firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom