• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FireFox 3 Release Thread of Burning Animals Hugging Globes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just saw the Chairwoman of Mozilla Foundation on CNN. She was talking about Firefox 3 and I was surprised they devoted such a long running time to a web browser, means Firefox is really growing out there. 10 million downloads in 24 hours is also a feat that won't be beat in a long, long time.

Firefox currently has 18% of the Browser Market. That my friends, years ago was impossible to some. Long live the FOX! =D

_Frank_

it's not even capable of running java "out of the box". How do i make it work? I hate when companies release things that are lacking basic things.....

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_Frank_ said:
it's not even capable of running java "out of the box". How do i make it work? I hate when companies release things that are lacking basic things.....

Just install freaking Java. A Google search will net the results you seek (epic shit here). The idea is to make Firefox small, and simple and install everything else incrementally

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
_Frank_ said:
what browser includes java with it?

if you didn't have firefox installed previously you need to reinstall java so that it drops the proper plugins into the firefox directory.

yoopoo

Banned
Is there an extension that allows you to switch between tabs with the mouse scroll? The mouse gesture extension has the feature but doesn't work with FF3 and the Tab Scroll extension gets installed but does nothing.

yoopoo said:
How do I enable the Opera style instant back/forward?
And this. Nada?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
yoopoo said:
Is there an extension that allows you to switch between tabs with the mouse scroll? The mouse gesture extension has the feature but doesn't work with FF3 and the Tab Scroll extension gets installed but does nothing.

And this. Nada?
I bound my thumb wheel up to ctrl+tab. Extensions be damned!

_Frank_

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You're going to have to show us any browser that comes with Java pre-installed if you're going to pull the basic internet card on us.

what? Isn't firefox supposed to be THE web browser, the one that is the most user friendly, the most secured, the best browsing experience?

sangreal

yoopoo said:

And this. Nada?

By Instant Back/Forward you mean loading the page from cache when you go back/forward instead of re-downloading? My FF already does that by default
_Frank_ said:
what? Isn't firefox supposed to be THE web browser, the one that is the most user friendly, the most secured, the best browsing experience?
Which is why it doesn't come with the Java plug-in pre-installed

yoopoo

Banned
sangreal said:
By Instant Back/Forward you mean loading the page from cache when you go back/forward instead of re-downloading? My FF already does that by default
In Opera the page is displayed instantly, in FF there is an obvious delay.

_Frank_

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
That hasn't changed.

You didn't directly respond to what was requested of you.

aren't you able to read between lines? When you say you have the best product, at least, give the custumer the basics....

it's like xbox360 without wi-fi out of the box, or wii without an ethernet port....

Defuser said:
After 3 versions,they can't even implement auto refresh for back button?
After everyone requests something in this thread, people should just spam reply the following:

That's what extensions are for.

This isn't a static browser.

_Frank_ said:
aren't you able to read between lines? When you say you have the best product, at least, give the custumer the basics....

it's like xbox360 without wi-fi out of the box, or wii without an ethernet port....
Then why doesn't any browser come with Flash pre-installed? Because it'd be fucking stupid. While we're at it, why don't we just drop RealPlayer in there? Someone out there will want it.

Firefox is able to be called the best product because it doesn't include Java pre-installed.

scorcho

_Frank_ said:

hey! why doesn't my web browser toast my bread? this is bullshit!

yeah, your point is that vapid.

yoopoo

Banned
Vyer said:
You mean simple Back/Forward? I'm not getting a delay.
The delay is about half a second, on a clean install. I see a clear dirrerence in going back/forward between O9.5 and FF3.

scorcho

yoopoo said:
The delay is about half a second, on a clean install. I see a clear dirrerence in going back/forward between O9.5 and FF3.
FF's implementation is slower (i'd wager different too) than Opera's, but the change is there when compared to Firefox 1.x

_Frank_

wake up guys. Flash and java are basic internet. It should come with any web browser. Everybody will uses it. It's like if the remote wasn't coming with the TV.

Vyer

I have to look into extensions more. I honestly don't have very much experience with Firefox. Time for some research!

yoopoo said:

Ah, interesting. Well, I can handle half a second.

Xeke

Banned
_Frank_ said:
wake up guys. Flash and java are basic internet. It should come with any web browser. Everybody will uses it. It's like if the remote wasn't coming with the TV.

Yeah my dad uses Java and Flash a lot checking his webmail.:lol

They aren't hard to install if you want them but they bloat the browser.

No browser has ever come with them it's never been an issue with anybody but you, deal with it.

A half a second, really?

I love the speed of Firefox but I like how Opera is setup. I think i will stick with Opera becuase of its features and such. Its faster than IE at least.

Xeke

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I love the speed of Firefox but I like how Opera is setup. I think i will stick with Opera becuase of its features and such. Its faster than IE at least.

...You can add all those features.

scorcho

_Frank_ said:
no windows browser comes preinstalled with Flash or Java, so your argument against Firefox as such doesn't pan out. considering their popularity it's likely due to a licensing issue with Sun or Adobe, so complain to them. at the least Firefox works better than other browsers by providing nearly hassle-free installs methods for both.

_Frank_

Xeke said:
Yeah my dad uses Java and Flash a lot checking his webmail.:lol

They aren't hard to install if you want them but they bloat the browser.

No browser has ever come with them it's never been an issue with anybody but you, deal with it.

A half a second, really?

are you really trying to make me beleive that your dad has never seen a video on his computer?........

be logic please.

Vyer

Hmm.

Having some problems with images randomly not loading. For a few visits this page wasn't showing avatars or even the little 'buttons' next to the usernames.

Now engadget is all messed up....

USD

yoopoo said:
FireGestures

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=gestures&cat=all

You'll have to change some of the options though. By default Down scrolling scrolls through your tabs, but Up scrolling goes back through your History.

Xeke

Banned
_Frank_ said:
are you really trying to make me beleive that your dad has never seen a video on his computer?........

be logic please.

Yes? He's 55 and hardly knows how to turn the computer on. You're out of touch.

_Frank_

scorcho said:
no windows browser comes preinstalled with Flash or Java, so your argument against Firefox as such doesn't pan out. considering their popularity it's likely due to a licensing issue with Sun or Adobe, so complain to them. at the least Firefox works better than other browsers by providing nearly hassle-free installs methods for both.
im not againsts ff at all, im just complaining about something that is annoying. Im still not able to make it work. I've been using ff for years.

itxaka

Defeatist
_Frank_ said:

be logic please.

You are pushing it to far, chill out with the Basic internet thing. I hope there never was java and flash in the first time, those banners, ugh, and those animations, agh.

Also, you have to install java and flash with windows, or iexplore, firefox, opera will never display them, it´s basic knowledge.

_Frank_

stop bullshitting me. My father is likely the same as your father except mine dosent even have a email adress. Still he can go on internet and click on some video link.

scorcho

_Frank_ said:
stop bullshitting me. My father is likely the same as your father except mine dosent even have a email adress. Still he can go on internet and click on some video link.
?

if he's incapable of installing Flash, why would he have Firefox to begin with? i fail to see how technological luddites are somehow capable of searching for, installing and using a new browser, but somehow can't follow clear step-by-step instructions in Firefox to install flash.

Xeke

Banned
_Frank_ said:

Yeah I'm bullshitting you because I really get a hard on lying to people about my dads internet skills.

But hell, I mean you probably would know about him more than I do so I'll let you carry on Mr. Expert.

?

if he's incapable of installing Flash, why would he have Firefox to begin with? i fail to see how technological luddites are somehow capable of searching for, installing and using a new browser, but somehow can't follow clear step-by-step instructions in Firefox to install flash.

I install it/my mom is pretty computer competent.

_Frank_

you fanatic people are really blinded by your love for a browser.

by the way, guess wath, java is working on my IE but not on my FF, WHY!???????

SyNapSe

_Frank_ said:

dude, browsers don't bundle in software like flash/java. Do you want them to bundle in quicktime because you might not be able to see an embedded video on a site? You've probably got it in the past by it popping up a link to download it when you first went to a site

Look at it this way, if Silverlight is a hit, I'm sure MS would love to bundle it into IE8/9 for you.

edit: to your last comment, I'm still using Opera. I like it best still, if they are working with IE you have some other problem with either your computer or your FF install

scorcho

_Frank_ said:

because you're an incompetent user

and i'm not blinded by a fanatic love of a browser, just reason.

Xeke

Banned
_Frank_ said:

Works fine for me, must be a user problem.

_Frank_

SyNapSe said:
dude, browsers don't bundle in software like flash/java. Do you want them to bundle in quicktime because you might not be able to see an embedded video on a site? You've probably got it in the past by it popping up a link to download it when you first went to a site

Look at it this way, if Silverlight is a hit, I'm sure MS would love to bundle it into IE8/9 for you.

edit: to your last comment, I'm still using Opera. I like it best still, if they are working with IE you have some other problem with either your computer or your FF install

I want them to include the basic ones, witch are adobe flash and java.

and for the other guy, no i'm not an incompetent user, i'm maybe not just as computer geek as you may be.

SyNapSe

Is there a way in FF to right-click within a page and get the option to print in the context menu. I always hated missing that, Opera and IE both have it by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom