• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FireFox 3 Release Thread of Burning Animals Hugging Globes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeke

Banned
SyNapSe said:
Is there a way in FF to right-click within a page and get the option to print in the context menu. I always hated missing that, Opera and IE both have it by default.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/162

Print extension. It's not updated for the release version but works as it was updated last for 3.0 b4. You have to disable compatibility checking if you want it now. If not it should be updated shortly, keep an eye out.

Do it like this.

1. Type: "about:config" in the address bar.

2. Right click anywhere and select "New" and then "Boolean".

3. The name should be "Extensions.checkCompatibility". Set it to false and you're set.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
_Frank_ said:
maybe so if you're above the average user, tell me how to fix my problem
uninstall Java/Flash and reinstall. make sure your Firefox installations are also located in the default folders (if in Windows -> %root%/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox

yoopoo

Banned
Extension needed. In Opera you can use mouse gesture 'right click + right' or the forward button to go to the next image.

This page for example http://vicissitude.net/Images/ click on an image then use forward gesture to keep going to the next image...no need to go back to the index page.

Any extension like this exists?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Christ it's slow as hell for me. Can I go back to Firefox 2 easily?

I can't even get the contents tab in options to load for me. (posting this from Opera, my secondary browser. I might have to make it my main now.)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
You're probably right, I had a Firefox 2 problem where it slowed down because I didn't clear the past downloads in the download manager (god forbid it did it itself after a matter of time). It could be something random like that.

scorcho

sykoex said:
You're probably right, I had a Firefox 2 problem where it slowed down because I didn't clear the past downloads in the download manager (god forbid it did it itself after a matter of time). It could be something random like that.
use a new profile, as your old may be corrupted.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
okay I cleared all private data and it still lags like hell. crap.

Edit: how do i do that and will I lose my bookmarks?

scorcho

sykoex said:
okay I cleared all private data and it still lags like hell. crap.

Edit: how do i do that and will I lose my bookmarks?
drag the bookmarks.html (or something like that) file out of your profile folder before deleting/renaming the folder. upon launching firefox again it'll recreate a new profile folder. at that point drag back your bookmarks file into the new profile folder.

Wendo

Vasectomember
Firefox and Opera both have ugly black borders around everything on GAF. Is this just something that IE does "wrong"?

scorcho

RiskyChris said:
Then make a simple* script to fix it with Greasemonkey.

*no idea if possible, let alone simple
you can redo the CSS using site-specific user-styles in Firefox (either through Stylish or usercontent.css) or through Opera's built-in site preferences.

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
So I switched to Firefox3 from Safari, but when I'm using certain applications, they'll open up links or whatever in Safari. Is there some way to make a global change on the default browser?

_Frank_ said:
wake up guys. Flash and java are basic internet. It should come with any web browser. Everybody will uses it. It's like if the remote wasn't coming with the TV.
It's like if the DVD player wasn't coming with the TV.

hirokazu

Crab Shaker said:
So I switched to Firefox3 from Safari, but when I'm using certain applications, they'll open up links or whatever in Safari. Is there some way to make a global change on the default browser?
I'm not on a Mac ATM, but I think you can do it by opening Safari, then go to Safari > Preferences and there should be an option to choose the default app for URLs.

_Frank_ said:
aren't you able to read between lines? When you say you have the best product, at least, give the custumer the basics....

it's like xbox360 without wi-fi out of the box, or wii without an ethernet port....
Sorry, but it's unbelievable how stupid you sound without realising it. :lol If you don't know much about something, don't act like you do, because you're blaming a browser for a problem that's likely caused by something else on your system.

joaomgcd

Do you guys know of an extension that does Back/Forward with Ctrl+Arrows and allows keyboard link navigation with Shift+Arrows like in Opera?

syllogism

keyconfig

using it to bind next tab and previous tab to ctrl-arrows

next gBrowser.mTabContainer.advanceSelectedTab(1,true);
previous gBrowser.mTabContainer.advanceSelectedTab(-1,true);

_Frank_

hirokazu said:
I'm not on a Mac ATM, but I think you can do it by opening Safari, then go to Safari > Preferences and there should be an option to choose the default app for URLs.

Sorry, but it's unbelievable how stupid you sound without realising it. :lol If you don't know much about something, don't act like you do, because you're blaming a browser for a problem that's likely caused by something else on your system.

the fact is that i installed correctly firefox and java more than 3 times each and still its not working perfectly. It works on some sites but not on the site i want it to work wich is questrader.com. It was working on firefox 2 and its working on IE but not on firefox3.

don't tell me that anybody who has a computer will not have to deal wich java or flash at some point, thats ridiculous. That's my point, it should come with any browser. That's not the case with a tv an a dvd player.

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
hirokazu said:
Many Blessings. *bow*

hirokazu

_Frank_ said:
the fact is that i installed correctly firefox and java more than 3 times each and still its not working perfectly. It works on some sites but not on the site i want it to work wich is questrader.com. It was working on firefox 2 and its working on IE but not on firefox3.

don't tell me that anybody who has a computer will not have to deal wich java or flash at some point, thats ridiculous. That's my point, it should come with any browser. That's not the case with a tv an a dvd player.
In that case, you should get someone who knows more to check out your computer. There are far too many factors involved in this to accurately diagnose the real problem without looking at the system.

Personally, I rarely deal with Java on the internet and I'm glad because it's slow usually pointless. That said, you must understand that Java is not owned by Mozilla and they must deal with a bunch of licensing and other stuff to get it bundled. Microsoft got sued a couple years back for including their own implementation of Java with Windows, and now they don't have it bundled anymore either. Not only that, as I've said, it's not particularly useful on the web, and I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who will complain if it was bundled.

If people who do not have the correct plug-in for it and they encounter a site that uses it, Firefox notifies them and you simply click a button and you'll be taken to the download site for it. It really is very user friendly. The same applies for other plug-ins such as Flash.

Now the problem is, that does not apply to when it is already installed, yet somehow something goes wrong with a particular system configuration and makes it just not work. Things like that happen, and it's not entirely the fault of the browser, hence you can't blame it on the particular browser, no matter which browser, should the problem arise, unless you know for sure what the problem is (and if you do, you should know how to remedy it).

It's good that you linked the site you're having problems with, so others might be able to help and verify if they get the same problem, but it seems like there's no Java application until you login, we can't really do anything based on that. :/

_Frank_

thanks for the answer. I know people cant verify since they cant log in the website. but it works with IE and firefox 2 so i dont know how the problem could not be firefox 3......

Is there a way to make pics that are broken to appear anyway? I mean that it actually shows an icon to let you know there's supposed to be a pic. Like the famous red cross in IE. No there's nothing, so half of the time you don't even know you're missing out on something.

joshschw

How the heck do I make the address bar function properly? For example, when i started typing neogaf, normally the first result would be with the Gaming or OT index pages. now it's just some random threads I visited ages ago.

Xrenity

joshschw said:
How the heck do I make the address bar function properly? For example, when i started typing neogaf, normally the first result would be with the Gaming or OT index pages. now it's just some random threads I visited ages ago.
Click the star.

joshschw

Xrenity said:
Click the star.

cool, thanks a lot. Is there any sort of algorithm determining the order if I don't click the star?

okay, played around a bit, this thing is SLOW. Not at the actual rendering of the pages but since everything else is far slower it's a pain to use. going back to 2 now.

Thanks for the help still!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
joshschw said:
cool, thanks a lot. Is there any sort of algorithm determining the order if I don't click the star?

okay, played around a bit, this thing is SLOW. Not at the actual rendering of the pages but since everything else is far slower it's a pain to use. going back to 2 now.

Thanks for the help still!
Buh? Could you describe what's going on? I can't possibly imagine how 2 would be faster than 3.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
People who don't want to over-write their current versions of Firefox can just install FF3 in a new folder.

When installing FF3, select custom and choose a new directory to install it in. Make sure your FF3 and FF2 (or lower) shortcuts are pointing to the "firefox.exe" file in the directory that hosts that specific install.

If you're simply happy to use FF3 then it will inherit your current profile. Whichever version of FF you launch will take your default profile. You can't have both versions running at once. If you dont like FF3 you can just uninstall it and FF2 will go back to being your main browser. The uninstall will NOT remove your profile unless you ask to...but don't remove it.

Probably also a good idea to backup your profile - http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Backing+up+your+information

It is possible to run both FF3 and FF2 simultaneously, but that's only useful for developers I'd imagine.

For anyone who might have over-written their install of FF2, hates FF3, and wants to go back to FF2...you can find the past releases here - http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/ . As long as you never deleted your profile it will automatically latch on to FF2.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Does FF3 no longer have the 'Restore Previous Session' feature, for when the browser crashes, or if you shut down the computer with the browser open?

joshschw

RubxQub said:
Buh? Could you describe what's going on? I can't possibly imagine how 2 would be faster than 3.

3 was most certainly rendering pages a bit faster but here's the problems I was experiencing (copied from another forum if they sound out of context). Plus, even knowing how it works I still disliked the new address bar a lot.

Yes, it renders pages quicker but the program tiself is slower by a huge margin.

1. takes forever to load up. like 10 or more seconds.
2. when i middle click a link to open in a new tab the whole browser slows to a unworkable crawl for 2 seconds, which means it takes over two seconds to make a new tab.
3. the address bar blows worse than words can possibly describe, and I am well aware of how it works. It just flat out sucks.

All my extensions except linkifacation worked anyways that wasn't a problem. I don't care about memory effeicny and all that, I don't know why it's still an issue to be honest. I mean i have 896MB of usable RAM in this machine and even for Firefox memory hog that is more than enough. and most machines have like 2 GB these days.

RubxQub

joshschw said:
3 was most certainly rendering pages a bit faster but here's the problems I was experiencing (copied from another forum if they sound out of context). Plus, even knowing how it works I still disliked the new address bar a lot.
Very interesting. I don't experience any slowdown whatsoever when opening new tabs, and opening the browser itself takes no more than a second.

What OS and system specs are you running on?

As for the address bar, a few folks have shown ways to revert it back to FF2, or remove the functionality all-together.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Despite the fact that FF3 broke something like 15 of my 42 extensions, I'm loving this. I've since resurrected 4 of my broken extensions. Here's hoping that'll improve over the next few weeks.

RubxQub

Mejilan said:
Despite the fact that FF3 broke something like 15 of my 42 extensions, I'm loving this. I've since resurrected 4 of my broken extensions. Here's hoping that'll improve over the next few weeks.
Holy fucking shit fucks!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I loves me my Firefox extensions.

I think I could probably get away with permanently killing 3 of the 11, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom