• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware of Awesomeness Incoming: The Official Firmware 2.4 Thread (July 2nd Release)

Cartman86

Banned
I'm still trying to understand if custom soundtracks are in or out. The reason I question it is because REAL CS support for sure is not available yet, but they do the cheat in both videos i've seen. Where they go to the games music options and turn down the audio (almost every game has this option). Then they open the in-game XMB and play music like that. It's not the ideal way, but it is an option. Is this option not actually in the 2.4 update we are getting? Or is that the actual way its going to work? Because that makes no sense.

Blame!

Jtrizzy said:
I think people are just excited that we won't have to quit the game to check messages and see what others are playing.

yes its nice we'll be able to do that but.....really? REALLY??

is that basically all we're getting on day 1?

Tieno

BobTheFork said:
No retroactive trophies is kind of lame, I may not want to go thru an older game completely again. What about people swaping saves to cheat, can they stop that.
Until saves are locked, people can continue to 'contaminate' them via other people's saves (on the internet, etc)

I personally think I won't get much use out of 2.4 until the friendlist functionality and usability is heavily upgraded.

FirewalkR

BobTheFork said:
No retroactive trophies is kind of lame, I may not want to go thru an older game completely again. What about people swaping saves to cheat, can they stop that.

That's exactly the point, if they gave retroactive trophies, they'd have to stop people from swapping saves. If you want the trophies, earn them (well, again lulz).

I for one don't mind.

MGS 4, here I go (yet) again. :D

RuGalz said:
If trophies can be retro activated based on the current save file, everyone can just go online and download them from gamefaqs, which will defeat the purpose of the system from day one; not all the profile tie-ins to save data are there to prevent this.

This is exactly why trophies are an also-ran idea that will have much less impact than achievements. You don't have that history from day one.

On the positive side, I really like Sony's idea of the challenge tiers for the achievements, which means we won't be having any Avatar-style disasters. This is also good news for 360 players since the principal of the tiered trophies/achievements will likely carry over to multiplatform games on the 360.

Jtrizzy

Blame! said:
yes its nice we'll be able to do that but.....really? REALLY??

is that basically all we're getting on day 1?

Pretty much, yes. Unless it turns out that the soundtracks will at least play over everything on old games. It's still a big deal for people who don't have 360's though. Having to exit the game to check your messages is a nightmare.

h3ro

FirewalkR said:
That's exactly the point, if they gave retroactive trophies, they'd have to stop people from swapping saves. If you want the trophies, earn them (well, again lulz).

I for one don't mind.

MGS 4, here I go (yet) again. :D

That's why I'm waiting for my second play through :D (The Boss Extreme run)
I wonder how soon MGS4 will be patched...

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
h3ro said:
Why are you so against my awesome thread :(

dude i'm not hating on you're thread at all. in fact i'm already feeling a fond nostalgia for it, as it was the first thing i saw when i woke up this morning.

i dont care which thread gets locked, its just that carrying on the same discussion in both of them is getting difficult to keep up with.

RuGalz

Cartman86 said:
I'm still trying to understand if custom soundtracks are in or out. The reason I question it is because REAL CS support for sure is not available yet, but they do the cheat in both videos i've seen. Where they go to the games music options and turn down the audio (almost every game has this option). Then they open the in-game XMB and play music like that. It's not the ideal way, but it is an option. Is this option not actually in the 2.4 update we are getting? Or is that the actual way its going to work? Because that makes no sense.

This is more like a work-around for older games that don't understand the existence of custom soundtrack. New games or older game with patch can decide to support it the proper way. It's kinda like whether bringing up in-game XMB will pause the game or not has to be properly supported by game and decided by game if it makes sense to pause.

Wait, so people don't care about in-game messaging or friends list viewing now? Fucking hell, people. I'm a little disappointed about no retroactive trophies, sure, but you guys act like this is the final featureset for the console. Sure, cross-game voice chat would be nice, and I'm sure it'll make it in sometime. In-game music, I think, will be far more widespread than you think, and Trophy support honestly shouldn't be very difficult at all. This is building a foundation to seriously improve PS3 games going forward. If you hate this update, apparently you've hated your PS3 all along because it sure doesn't take anything away from you.

Cartman86

Banned
RuGalz said:
This is more like a work-around for older games that don't understand the existence of custom soundtrack. New games or older game with patch can decide to support it the proper way. It's kinda like whether bringing up in-game XMB will pause the game or not has to be properly supported by game and decided by game if it makes sense to pause.

And to me this is CS support. It's not perfect, but fuck if I want to wait months for every game to get patched so I can do it perfectly. They have a workaround. Give it to us.

Moray

I'm just happy they added the important stuff like messaging and friends list access in game. The rest can come later. I'm glad they're doing it incrementally instead of waiting until all the features are ready.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
FirewalkR said:

well yeah i assumed this was the only reason they wouldnt have retroactive trophies...but i'd rather 'let the baby have his bottle' and get the small percentage of e-macho douchebags out of the way than have to go through the inconvenience of playing certain things i may not want to play again.

RuGalz

dammitmattt said:
This is exactly why trophies are an also-ran idea that will have much less impact than achievements. You don't have that history from day one.

PS3 doesn't have games anyway. :p

In grand scheme of things, it's still early in PS3's life, lack of trophies from earlier games isn't going to affect e-penis growth that much.

Cartman86

Banned
bistromathics said:
well yeah i assumed this was the only reason they wouldnt have retroactive trophies...but i'd rather 'let the baby have his bottle' and get the small percentage of e-macho douchebags out of the way than have to go through the inconvenience of playing certain things i may not want to play again.

I'd take that too versus playing MGS4 12 times again. But this is really just for us freaks who 100% completed the game already. It's our fault :(

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
RuGalz said:
I really hope this is the case, but the PS3Fanboy page doesn't give me any hope.

You also will not be able to use music from your hard drive, unless the game is specifically programed to take advantage of the feature. Unfortunately, no games will be able to take advantage of in-game custom soundtracks when the firmware update goes live. (However, future games and game patches can enable this feature. It depends on whether or not the developer chooses to include it in their game.)

Trophy Support Wishlist:

Guitar Heroes III
Rock
Ratchet and Clank Future
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Metal Gear Solid 4
GTA IV
Devil May Cry 4
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
MLB'08 The Show
Resistance: Fall of Man

Come make it happen those are all huge games out on the PS3 why support crap like NBA 09.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Vorador said:
I see too much bitching in this thread for something we're getting completely free. >_<

come on guy, think bigger picture. i know i'm a junior member and all, but i thought gaf was all about hypotheticals and 'if i were <developer | publisher | analyst | enthusiast>' discussion

Blame!

Vorador said:
I see too much bitching in this thread for something we're getting completely free. >_<

sigh i know. i will go outside and take a breath. :D

its true now i know that we do get what we pay for.

Now I want trophy support for PSP and the ability to log into PSN and PS Store directly from PSP.

Make it happen!

Liberty4all

Banned
Hmm 2 threads of Official Firmware 2.4 awesomeness.

highlander_resam.jpg

AmMortal

Banned
It's like a deal with the devil, just when you think it's in your favour, you end up getting screwed over :lol

Bamelin said:
Hmm 2 threads of Official Firmware 2.4 awesomeness.

highlander_resam.jpg

Holy sh!:lol :lol :lol :lol

My guess is that it'll be possible for devs to (sort of) circumvent the lack of save-reading for trophies, depending on how they implement the trophy-award hooks. For example, on my DMC4 save, assuming Trophies are implemented, I'll probably be able to just beat Mission 20 on DMD again and immediately unlock the trophy for beating said difficulty. In addition, as soon as I beat any mission I'd hopefully be automatically awarded Red Orb Millionaire and the other orb-collecting achievements, as well as the skill collector, etc. bonuses. At least, that's my hope.

I imagine that MGS4 could be handled by just doing an emblem check every time you beat the game and awarding trophies based on the total emblems won. The PS3 already is able to check to see if a save file was created on your PS3 (Ninja Gaiden Sigma and DMC4 already do this, I believe), so some sort of workaround ought to be possible if you only update your save file.

Dragon

Banned
bistromathics said:

How about they just support retroactive trophies just for you so I don't have to see you bitch anymore about it? I'll call Phil, maybe he can get Kaz to see some REASON.

Killthee said:
I really hope this is the case, but the PS3Fanboy page doesn't give me any hope.
I would not be surprised if the Software patent MS owns on custom soundtracks has something to do with it (so it's kind of up to a developer).

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I trust in Rockstar to go back and add in trophy support in some form or another. GTAIV is just too big of a game for it to go without them, and I think that Rockstar's track record is good enough to presume that they are dedicated enough to do that.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Cartman86 said:
I'd take that too versus playing MGS4 12 times again. But this is really just for us freaks who 100% completed the game already. It's our fault :(

well i probably just wouldnt re-play the games i didnt want to. but then i'd have to live every moment on psn knowing i should have credit for something i already did. i guess i'll have to fill my 'about me' with footnotes

dammitmattt said:
I'm a bit of an achievement whore so I'm really excited about trophies. However, it's still lagging behind XBL in several key areas:

* No cross-game voice chat (seriously?!?)
* No retroactively-awarded trophies (not even for MGS4?!?)
* No online functionality (this is absolutely key and is the basis for many of the XBL community features)
* No standard custom soundtrack feature (patches, iffy past support)

Again, like I've been saying, Sony is still playing catchup, is still a ways behind, and loses a lot of the impact since they didn't have this stuff from day one, so I won't have trophies to show that I got all of the skill points in Ratchet and most of the medals in Uncharted. Plus, I don't really see anything here that goes above and beyond XBL, but maybe we'll discover more this Thursday.

On another note, does anyone find it ironic that so many people, many of whom are staunch PS3 supporters and 360 haters, are so excited about a firmware upgrade that is making the PS3 experience more and more like the 360 experience?

amm ya your views are pretty negative. They are getting all those features for free while the xbox people have been paying for the service. I can't don't and won't see myself paying for online play ever again.

N30RYU

Cirekiller said:
Trophy Support Wishlist:

Guitar Heroes III
Rock
Ratchet and Clank Future
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Metal Gear Solid 4
GTA IV
Devil May Cry 4
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
MLB'08 The Show
Resistance: Fall of Man

Come make it happen those are all huge games out on the PS3 why support crap like NBA 09.

Heavenly Sword
Folklore

Killthee

captscience said:
Has anyone seen mention of the ability to change audio output in game or xmb access during bluray/dvd playback?
I haven't come across it, but I think there's a good chance we'll be able to access most of the settings using In-Game XMB. It would be kinda dumb to have everything but the Accessory Settings force you to go to the regular XMB.

karasu

I'm looking forward to custom soundtracks, and the messaging feature looks nice. The trophies are weak though.

Jaruru

Rapping Granny said:
OH SHIT, I forgot about this feature!

IT'S FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

totally forgot about this.

I remember Sony said something like, some premium services will cost some $$$ later, did they say that???

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hopefully (I'm pretty sure) you can bring up the XMB in game and look what trophies are available for the game/what it takes to get them. I hate that with achievement points you have to exit the game/look online while in game to see what's available.

Killthee

DoctorWho said:
Now I want trophy support for PSP and the ability to log into PSN and PS Store directly from PSP.

Make it happen!
PSP Store is coming.

2nrn054.jpg

Top Bottom