• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware of Awesomeness Incoming: The Official Firmware 2.4 Thread (July 2nd Release)

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
TheBranca18 said:
How about they just support retroactive trophies just for you so I don't have to see you bitch anymore about it? I'll call Phil, maybe he can get Kaz to see some REASON.

woah woah, i'm not ranting am i? i didnt mean to be. i'm just trying to think about the process of all this from sony's perspective. they know what they have to go up against and they've planned out an implementation they thought would succeed. in that design they were surely debating how to handle the retro-active thing...i'm just throwing out all the stuff i've been thinking about since home was first announced. didnt mean to ruffle any feathers.

EDIT: grammar

Wollan

dammitmattt said:
Did he say anything about Ratchet? I worked really hard on my 750!!!
Included with Quest for Booty I bet.

Also, just got back home. Glad all the firmware leaks were true.

Jonnyram

Vorador said:
I see too much bitching in this thread for something we're getting completely free. >_<
I see a bunch of saps nodding their head with you, but truth is, xbox dash and achievements are free anyway. It's the online play that requires gold membership.

Ken Masters said:
where did you here this?

All over both threads? They can patch it into past games, but it won't work with past saves. I assume you'll have to start over with a brand new save for it to work.

Slamo said:
You forgot one thing.

Dear God I hope you're not going to attempt to derail the conversation with free vs. not free. That's not the point. We're comparing things here that are a standard part of XBL, whether it be gold or silver.

AmMortal

Banned
dammitmattt said:
All over both threads? They can patch it into past games, but it won't work with past saves. I assume you'll have to start over with a brand new save for it to work.

Dear God I hope you're not going to attempt to derail the conversation with free vs. not free. That's not the point. We're comparing things here that are a standard part of XBL, whether it be gold or silver.

It will always stay in their minds though :p

Free> Not Free...

jjasper

dammitmattt said:
Did he say anything about Ratchet? I worked really hard on my 750!!!

I don't know.

I do have a question though. If it is patched into a game can I use my preexisting save file to get trophies?

Example: I have played through MGS4 once and would like to do it again if I wait to replay it after it has been patched (if it gets patched) can I use my cleared file, start a new game and get trophies or am I going to have to start with a new save file?

Jonnyram said:
I see a bunch of saps nodding their head with you, but truth is, xbox dash and achievements are free anyway. It's the online play that requires gold membership.
He didn't say anything about xbox, its not a comparison.
Sony is adding these features, no reasons for anyone to complain.

Dragon

Banned
jjasper said:
I don't know.

I do have a question though. If it is patched into a game can I use my preexisting save file to get trophies?

Example: I have played through MGS4 once and would like to do it again if I wait to replay it after it has been patched (if it gets patched) can I use my cleared file, start a new game and get trophies or am I going to have to start with a new save file?

They're going to have to clarify this or piss off a lot of people.

Wollan

TheBranca18 said:
Read the OP.

You will have to replay whatever game you've already finished (assuming it gets a trophy patch).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TheBranca18 said:

how would they do it? The PS3 allows you full control to backup and use other people's save files. You know people would cheat the system. The only way to control it is to not allow old saves.

jjasper said:
I don't know.

Based on the reason that everyone is using for why you can't just retroactively activate trophies (game save downloads), I'm 99.9% sure that your previous save will not activate anything.

On another note, Microsoft has had a hell of a time making sure that the achievement system isn't cheated. I have a feeling that Sony is still taking baby steps here and won't have that level of security.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Jonnyram said:

But that's not the point. Why should I care if it's free on the 360? It's free on the PS3 and that's all I care about.

Vorador

Banned
Jonnyram said:

The thing it's that i'm just tired of the unjustified Sony bashing. We're finally getting an upgrade to something people have demanded since the very beginning of the system (XMB in-game, online trophies, etc) and now people complains that "it isn't enough". People are just NEVER satisfied. Being unsatisfied about something is not bad by itself, but bitching about it like the service it's shit and the upgrade it's lame gets on my nerves.

kamorra said:
But that's not the point. Why should I care if it's free on the 360? It's free on the PS3 and that's all I care about.

We are comparing other features that are free on both consoles. 2.4 has nothing to do with free or pay online play, so let's keep the discussion on-topic and not derail the thread. "Free online" is not an acceptable answer for why 2.4 is still lagging behind XBL Silver features. That is the point.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Updated the OP with the no in-game voice chat, custom soundtrack will require patching, and no retroactive trophies quotes.

jjasper

Wollan said:
Read the OP.

You will have to replay whatever game you've already finished (assuming it gets a trophy patch).

But the question is can I use a save file that existed before the patch and play the game to get trophies?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
dammitmattt said:
We are comparing other features that are free on both consoles. 2.4 has nothing to do with free or pay online play, so let's keep the discussion on-topic and not derail the thread. "Free online" is not an acceptable answer for why 2.4 is still lagging behind XBL Silver features. That is the point.

No it's not. Stop comparing. This thread is not a PSN vs XBL feature compare thread. At least I thought so.

dammitmattt said:
so let's keep the discussion on-topic and not derail the thread

Well there is some good and there is some bad. In-game messaging is plus and trophies could be really cool, and just being able to have in-game XMB is awesome, however, not having in-game voice chat, plus the fact that 0 retail games will support custom soundtracks (day one), and developers do not have to include trophies = fail in some serious areas. Hopefully things will continue to improve but Sony is still way behind XBL.

RuGalz said:
This is more like a work-around for older games that don't understand the existence of custom soundtrack. New games or older game with patch can decide to support it the proper way. It's kinda like whether bringing up in-game XMB will pause the game or not has to be properly supported by game and decided by game if it makes sense to pause.

When you press the PS button right now to bring up the shut down menu, the game you are playing pauses. Why can't bringing up XMB do the same thing. I don't understand why games need to "support" auto-pause for in-game XMB when they already all support it for the shutdown menu.

This is my only gripe with this update, and it's still better than no in-game XMB, obviously.

inner-G

Banned
Killthee said:
Updated the OP with the no in-game voice chat, custom soundtrack will require patching, and no retroactive trophies quotes.
So if you mute the in-game music, can you play music off of the HDD at all?

Or does that not work? I'm not real clear on if 'custom soundtracks' refers to a playlist you setup in-game, or the ability to play any of your own music in-game.

Killthee

PhatSaqs said:
Wait... what?
You can't do In-Game XMB Voice Chat.
inner-G said:
So if you mute the in-game music, can you play music off of the HDD at all?

Or does that not work? I'm not real clear on if 'custom soundtracks' refers to a playlist you setup in-game, or the ability to play any of your own music in-game.
Fanboy says you can't if the game is not patched to support it."You also will not be able to use music from your hard drive, unless the game is specifically programed to take advantage of the feature."

1up says "Custom Soundtrack functionality can now be included by developers. Developers can patch custom soundtrack support into existing software."

Dragon

Banned
jjasper said:
But the question is can I use a save file that existed before the patch and play the game to get trophies?

You're talking about whether trophies count for New Game+. Yeah needs to be clarified.

Jtrizzy

Sorry, but having cross game invites and voice chat, which are the only things that Live does better is useless if you only have a silver account. Comparing 2.4 to a silver account is pointless because a silver account is essentially useless. The free vs. paid argument is totally valid.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Killthee said:

I can't believe everyone was getting their hopes up like 2.4 was going to be voodoo magic online silver bullet or somthing, come on people be realistic.

And some of you thought it was going to work retroactivly, ROFLMAO oh come on now again be realistic.

Dragon

Banned
StrikerObi said:
When you press the PS button right now to bring up the shut down menu, the game you are playing pauses. Why can't bringing up XMB do the same thing. I don't understand why games need to "support" auto-pause for in-game XMB when they already all support it for the shutdown menu.

This is my only gripe with this update, and it's still better than no in-game XMB, obviously.

Yeah I never understood why the Blade did the same thing on the 360, annoyed me to no end, because I'd also be playing NHL and hit the button by mistake and I'd get creamed :(

teepo

now that all this shit is out of the way, please allow me adjust the screen size of the media player to get rid of the over scanning caused by my tv. PLEASE

Blame!

kamorra said:

achievements, in-game voice chat, and custom soundtracks are also free on xbox 360.

this shoud not even be an argument.

Wollan

TheBranca18 said:
You're talking about whether trophies count for New Game+. Yeah needs to be clarified.
I think the most likely scenario is:

'Everything you play after installing patch will give trophies.'

You will not get trophies for the first time you rounded the game prior to patch.
But you will get trophies for your game+ session played after patch install.

I think that is how it will work. There could be some weird rewards like you get a trophy when you have killed 10 000 folks but you didn't get one for the 5000 kill trophy (since it happened pre-patch). That's up to how the developer code the conditions really.

Blame! said:
achievements, in-game voice chat, and custom soundtracks are also free on xbox 360.
Offline/singleplayer/lan achievements are free. Pay for online achievements.

Killthee

StrikerObi said:

It works the same way as it currently does. Bringing up the In-Game XMB will pause the game if the game is programed to do so when the PS button is pressed. If the game does not support pausing when the PS button is pressed, it won't pause when In-Game XMB is brought up.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
StrikerObi said:

Depends on the game. Those that pause might pause when bringing up the XMB. Do GT5P or PJM pause?

Jtrizzy

Blame! said:

What? Why do you need in game voice chat if you don't have a gold account? "Hey guy, I just beat level one on Halo"

Evander

"industry expert"
Wollan said:
Offline achievements are free. Pay for online achievements.

FALSE!

Online achievements do not cost money, it is only the online play itsel that normally does. If you find a way to play online for free (free rial cards/sponsered weekends/possibly other ways), you will still get the achievements.

It may sound like just semantics, but it is a CLEAR distinction.

StrikerObi said:

It's the exact same thing, same games don't pause when you press the HOME button right now, just as they won't pause for In-Game XMB. Others will.

Evander said:
FALSE!

Online achievements do not cost money, it is only the online play itsel that normally does. If you find a way to play online for free (free rial cards/sponsered weekends/possibly other ways), you will still get the achievements.

huh? oO You're getting GOLD for free with those promotions, so obviously you get everything with it.

Liberty4all

Banned
highlander.jpg

Blame!

Jtrizzy said:
What? Why do you need in game voice chat if you don't have a gold account? "Hey guy, I just beat level one on Halo"

how about the fact that i msg one of my friends and we chat about - you know - LIFE.

the fact of the matter is that the functionality just isnt quite xbox live level right now but its better than where the xmb has been in the last 2 years.

i just thought sony would have delivered the 360 dashboard killer with all the 2.4 hype.

Amon37

Well I sure as hell aren't starting all over on a game like burnout.

At least I own Stardust, I wonder if it will get a spike in sales being the first game patched out of the gate?

carlos

So can somebody clarify this for me:

ok, so a game that is patched like SSHD, you won't get the trophies retroactively

BUT

how about warhawk, which has all your stats recorded on their servers (downloading WH saves is impossible/useless as well)?

Raistlin

Blame! said:
i blame sony and their lack of foresight.

this shit is inexcusable in this day and age

:lol

You do realize that Sony can't mimic what 360 does? MS has in-game sountracks patented from the OS level.

Blame!

Onix said:
:lol

You do realize that Sony can't mimic what 360 does? MS has in-game sountracks patented from the OS level.

did not realize and i think that is weak a patent like that can exist.

the only people to suffer are gamers.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Blame! said:

Yeah, that's why I dont care. Read the post you've quoted again.

atomico

Killthee said:
You can't do In-Game XMB Voice Chat.

Fanboy says you can't if the game is not patched to support it."You also will not be able to use music from your hard drive, unless the game is specifically programed to take advantage of the feature."

1up says "Custom Soundtrack functionality can now be included by developers. Developers can patch custom soundtrack support into existing software."

In other words, we're getting the old xbox custom soundtrack support instead of the xbox 360's music player.

Personally, a universal in-game music player was the only 2.4 feature I really cared about.

Still nice to see Sony working on adding features and improving the system, overall, but it's not what I wanted. Then again, I'm part of the minority (offline ps3, don't care about achievements, etc)

tha_con

Banned
Evander said:
FALSE!

Surely this is a joke post?

This is like someone saying Gasoline is not free, and you say FALSE! If you can get some free gas somewhere, it's clearly free.

I mean, bottom line, you generally have to pay for your online to get any achievement points that need to be had online, if you get something free, that doesn't suddenly make those points 'free' it just means you had a trial and got them while you could. Some one still had to pay for it somewhere down the line.

Jtrizzy

Blame! said:
how about the fact that i msg one of my friends and we chat about - you know - LIFE.

the fact of the matter is that the functionality just isnt quite xbox live level right now but its better than where the xmb has been in the last 2 years.

i just thought sony would have delivered the 360 dashboard killer with all the 2.4 hype.

I didn't say the functionality is the same, in fact, I pointed out that Live is superior. The difference is you have to pay for it. The fact that you talk about your life on XBL is irrelevant. Do you really think people with silver accounts use voice chat with their friends to chat about their lives? If you really want to look at that way, then you are paying $50 a year for cross game invites, which is fine if that is worth it for you.

itxaka

Defeatist
Preeeeety cool and about time.

I hope it doesn´t lag when you have played a lot of games like the achievements does in my xbox.

The gamercard looks really nice. Any word on checking it via internet like the gamercard?

Raistlin

Blame! said:
did not realize and i think that is weak a patent like that can exist.

the only people to suffer are gamers.

Completely agree. Its probably the lamest VG-related patent I can recall.

Top Bottom