• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First AdaptiveSync monitors shipping/in stock (Acer XG270HU/BenQ XL2730Z)

Both are 27" 1440p 144Hz TN panels

German in-stock online shops list the Acer at €499 and the BenQ at €699, but prices are likely to drop soon as availability increases.
A few more FreeSync monitors from Samsung/LG/Viewsonic/Nixeus are expected this month (list)

1216778z3ld0.jpg

https://geizhals.at/eu/acer-predator-xg270huomidpx-um-hg0ee-001-a1216778.html
1223748miy32.jpg

https://geizhals.at/benq-xl2730z-9h-ldclb-qbe-a1223748.html

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm waiting for the day that monitor-side sync tech makes its way into smaller, 1080p monitors. I want to go over 60fps and have g/a-sync, but I'm just not up for paying that much for a monitor.

riflen

How will they differ from G-Sync monitors?

Essentially, no-one knows how DisplayPort Adaptive Sync (and AMD's FreeSync feature) will perform compared to Nvidia's solution, because none of the technical reviewers have got their hands on these new displays together with AMD's FreeSync-enabled drivers.

Initial "I've seen it working at a show" type impressions are good, but this kind of technology will need comprehensive tests in various games/conditions.

tl;dr: You'll have to wait for reviews.

In addition, the LG ultrawide monitors have prices listed

LG 29UM67 29" 2.560 × 1.080 75 Hz IPS 329 €
LG 34UM67 34" 2.560 × 1.080 75 Hz IPS 649 €

Corpsepyre

Banned
Essentially, no-one knows how DisplayPort Adaptive Sync (and AMD's FreeSync feature) will perform compared to Nvidia's solution, because none of the technical reviewers have got their hands on these new displays together with AMD's FreeSync-enabled drivers.

Initial "I've seen it working at a show" type impressions are good, but this kind of technology will need comprehensive tests in various games/conditions.

tl;dr: You'll have to wait for reviews.

Is it true, though, that G-Sync works with NVIDIA cards only?

Shaldome

Is it truth, though, that G-Sync monitors work with NVIDIA cards only?

Yes G-Sync only works with NVIDIA cards. As is the other way around. FreeSync only works with AMD cards for now. Difference is that NVIDIA could support FreeSync if the wanted.

riflen

Yes G-Sync only works with NVIDIA cards. As is the other way around. FreeSync only works with AMD cards for now. Difference is that NVIDIA could support FreeSync if the wanted.

Well, to be accurate, Nvidia cannot ever support FreeSync, as that is an AMD-only feature of their GPUs. FreeSync is a GPU/driver feature, built on a standard. FreeSync relies on a monitor that supports VESA DisplayPort Adaptive Sync.

As it's an optional part of the VESA DisplayPort standard, any GPU manufacturer could support DisplayPort Adaptive Sync and give that feature whatever name they wish. It's just at the moment there is only one company doing so and that company has called their feature FreeSync.

Nvidia have said they have no plans to support DisplayPort Adaptive Sync at the current time, which is completely unsurprising as they've invested in G-Sync.

I expect Intel are quietly looking into DisplayPort Adaptive Sync for their Iris GPUs (although imo it's not really that important for low end GPUs like Intel's and they probably already support the functionality as a result of laptops and eDP). Prepare for iSync, or whatever Intel decide to call their feature.

Shaldome

Well, to be accurate, Nvidia cannot ever support FreeSync, as that is an AMD-only feature of their GPUs. FreeSync is a GPU/driver feature, built on a standard. FreeSync relies on a monitor that supports VESA DisplayPort Adaptive Sync.

As it's an optional part of the VESA DisplayPort standard, any GPU manufacturer could support DisplayPort Adaptive Sync and give that feature whatever name they wish. It's just at the moment there is only one company doing so and that company has called their feature FreeSync.

Nvidia have said they have no plans to support DisplayPort Adaptive Sync at the current time, which is completely unsurprising as they've invested in G-Sync.

Ah alright, it seems I got FreeSync and Adaptive Sync mixed up.
That it is unlikely for NVIDIA to support it is obvious (to me at least), but it is easier for them to start supporting it then for AMD to support GSync.

Reckoner

Acer's price is ok, but that's cray for the BenQ. 650? That's almost as much as the Rog Swift with Gsync. I was expecting decent prices to hop in.

Top Bottom