• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First cat update. Some good some bad + Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she will remain skittish. Best thing to do, is to not force her. Eventually she might Start getting around to strangers.

Every cat has its own character.

Btw,that cat is amazingly cute.

slider

Wowzas, what a beautiful cat.

My boy really wants a cat but with my dog it's just not a goer right now. Damn shame.

eot

Banned
It sounds normal OP, every cat is different. Just let her do things her way and she'll build more trust and get more comfortable over time (months, probably years).

Daigoro

Update from this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257810

So Ive had my first cat Cookie for nearly 2 months now and things have been going well.

She explores the house a lot now, plays and is a real sweetie. Gives lots of face bumps.

She is also a really nice lap cat as she likes to sleep in my lap when I'm on the pc or watching a movie or TV.

I have this little mouse toy which is her favorite and she actually plays fetch with. ill throw it and she always runs to get it and bring it back which I love. Also randomly she will bring it to me meaning she wants to play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdoafjlID8I

However there are still some issues.......

1. She is still VERY skittish.
She runs and hides from strangers and even friends and family who sometimes come over to my house that she should know by now. Maybe she will always be skittish?

2. Sometimes when I'm walking around the house she will run away from me almost as if she is kinda scared of my walking feet which is strange. Like if im coming out my bedroom and shes sitting on the floor outside the room near the door she will dart away for a little bit but not like running to the other side of the house or anything. Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmhNE_A_LI

3. She doesn't like being held! Thats weird as ragdoll cats which is she usually love that. After about 1 minute she will struggle and want to be put down which is disappointing.

4. The breeder we got her from has stopped all communication. Cookie didn't come from her but from a friend of hers as like a trade. She said she would send her papers and stuff but never did and wont reply to calls or email so I don't know wtf is going on there. Maybe she isn't 100% ragdoll? Maybe there never was any paperwork like chip info that's why she isn't replying? Maybe it has something to do with her skittish nature?

please dont get a cat from a breeder ever again. is she spayed? if not, make the appointment asap.

sounds like she is just not properly socialized. this is the way feral cats behave because they are not used to being around humans and are nervous. she will probably warm up to people, but may very well be skittish like this forever.(hopefully a bit less so) depending on her age and how she is socialized with you and hopefully other people in the house (visitors etc). plenty of cats just dont want to be held all that often. but the skittishness is lack of proper socialization.

get her fixed.

Cute cat. Not all animals like to be picked up and held. My cat was the same. Would be adamant that she lays on me, lap, legs, back, arms ect. But never liked being picked up for more than a minute.

Seems like your cat likes to be around you, let you pet it, and lounges on/near by so its perfectly fine.

Spiders

That is one gorgeous cat!

About the skittishness: Some cats are just skittish by nature. I have a siamese and an oriental and those breeds are supposed to be very social. Mine however growl at strangers and hide as soon as there's someone at the door, even though they've been properly socialized as kittens.

Just leave her alone when you have people over, and eventually she might become more comfortable around strangers.

at least your cat doesnt sleep like they were drinking. THIS IS MY CAT:[

Mine just plonk themselves wherever they feel like it. One loves to take my desk hostage:
13921109_102084262391uraar.jpg

The other likes my bed:

Kuros

Ragdolls don't like being held any more or less than other cats in my experience. Our one (and his predecessor) both couldn't tolerate it. Whereas my sister has one that will just slump when held and stay for hours. It's just luck of the draw.

They're much more like normal cats than most people think. Just a tad lazier.

123rl

The best advice has been given already but just give them time and space. If they want to come to you, they will. If they don't, then respect that until they're more comfortable. Cats get stressed very easily.

I got my cat about two months ago too, and I posted a couple of well-received topics on here. I may post an update thread too. I'm sure you want to see/read more about this idiot:

kzRf2m3.jpg

Fliesen

maybe the cat being skittish is just a game of hers. She doesn't look (body language, back arch, tail) particularly nervous or scared. Maybe she's just playing catch with you, in a sense.

Also, the younger a cat, the more agile / skittish / full of energy.
The older they get, the lazier and more comfortable they get around people - especially strangers.

if she were feeling unwell / anxious, she'd be peeing all over your carpet, which she doesn't.

Rogan

Banned
What a cute cat!

I really want to get a cat, but I live in apartment and its a bit sad if the cat needs to stay inside. I have a nice balcony where the cat can go outside, but don't think its enough.

phanphare

Banned
your cat's really cute

my cat is also really skittish and it never really went away for her. if someone comes over to my place she'll usually just chill upstairs until they leave. for some familiar people she'll come down and hang out. also my cat really hated being held as well. if I picked her up and held her for more than like 3 seconds she would start to squirm until I put her down. now she lets me hold her for however long but I can tell she still doesn't like it she just puts up with it. it's kind of funny, you can see on her face that she's like "fuck this.....but you feed me and clean my shit....fine".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I laughed at "why doesn't she like to be held for more than 1 minute?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom