• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

first Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book DS screens

ethelred

It could just be the quality of the scan, but it looks like they've got this very neat artistic style there... it looks like there's some kind of papery, crayony texturing going on there. I like it. Looks very cool. So they will be playing up the whole storybook theme in the graphics.

Need to hear what kind of game this is, though, but I'm tentatively interested. Square Enix has been doing great on the DS so far, so why not.

BooJoh

I'm thinking something Yoshi Storyish. The crayony graphics, plus if you look carefully at the map, it seems to be inside a popup book.

E-Nature

wow! that's up with square-enix? they bring out tons of games for the nintendo platforms.

they did bring out nearly zero games for nintendo platforms for years and now all of a sudden they announce a new game almost every week!

mikeGFG

Banned
ethelred said:
It could just be the quality of the scan, but it looks like they've got this very neat artistic style there... it looks like there's some kind of papery, crayony texturing going on there. I like it. Looks very cool. So they will be playing up the whole storybook theme in the graphics.

Very cool indeed. Looks like it's the same character designer from Mario Basketball as well.

mikeGFG

Banned
Chris Michael said:

if not the same artist, im definitely gettin a similar vibe between the two games:

blackmagep.jpg

Ninjap.jpg

Shiroma was also the White Mage in Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon 2 (released as Chocobo's Dungeon in the US), so I wonder if this game is tied to that?

Also, looks like FF V Advance is going to add character portraits to the dialogue just like FF IV Advance did.

ethelred

How many games did Square Enix have for the GBA in total? I can only think of 9: FFIV Advance, FFV Advance, FFVI Advance, FFI&II, FFTA, Sword of Mana, KH: Chain of Memories, DQM3, and Slime Morimori.

I ask because this would make their 8th game for the DS: Egg Monster Hero, Mario Basket, FF3, Crystal Chronicles, DQH, DQM, Children of Mana, and now Chocobo & the Magic Picture Book.

So unless I'm forgetting something for the GBA, the next game they announce for the DS will mean they've matched their GBA support already.

Emotions

ethelred said:
How many games did Square Enix have for the GBA in total? I can only think of 9: FFIV Advance, FFV Advance, FFVI Advance, FFI&II, FFTA, Sword of Mana, KH: Chain of Memories, DQM3, and Slime Morimori.

I ask because this would make their 8th game for the DS: Egg Monster Hero, Mario Basket, FF3, Crystal Chronicles, DQH, DQM, Children of Mana, and now Chocobo & the Magic Picture Book.

So unless I'm forgetting something for the GBA, the next game they announce for the DS will mean they've matched their GBA support already.

DS is getting and will get more support from them than the GBA ever did because they didn't support the GBA at first because they were focused on the Wonderswan. Plus i think that Nintendo is quite close to S-E than ever before.

Jonnyram

ethelred said:
And Dice de Chocobo.

ethelred said:
Is anyone able to read the scan? I'm very curious what it says about the game.

Weekly Shonen Jump Special Game Preview #154

There's going to be a new Chocobo game on the DS!

The Chocobo that once gave fast-running rides across the world to the Crystal Warriors is now the star of an adventure in the world of the Magic Picture Book! The characters are so small and cute~

Team G59UP!

Have you heard? The same kind of characters from Final Fantasy appear in the Magic Picture Book!

Kweh

Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book
Release date: TBA
Publisher: Square-Enix
Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: Adventure

Chocobo, the main character, lives on a Chocobo farm
Chocobo's golden color is the color of hope! With legs of wisdom, power, and pride, he'll run about the world of the Magic Picture Book!

Shiroma, a hand at the Chocobo farm
A girl who takes care of Chocobos at the farm. She'll help to navigate on Chocobo's adventure!

Kuroma, a book-loving adventurer
He found a strange Picture Book at his destination and brought it with him to the farm. Could this Picture Book be the start of a much bigger story?!

Have an adventure looking for friends in the Picture Book!

Kuroma: "Well, then! Have you ever seen a Picture Book like this?"

^^^ This is the strange Picture Book that Kuroma brought with him to the farm. As for its true colors...

Sabotender and Adamantaimai

^^^ Foil the plans of the evil wizard king on your adventure by helping friends trapped in the Picture Book!

Amir0x

Banned
Emotions said:
DS is getting and will get more support from them than the GBA ever did because they didn't support the GBA at first because they were focused on the Wonderswan. Plus i think that Nintendo is quite close to S-E than ever before.

Yeah, they got into the GBA game midlife (which spawned the whole FF:CC thing) so it's not surprising

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
FFVI better come out super early next year at the latest so I can fuse it to the GBA slot of my DS.

ethelred said:

If IGN's info is correct, add Dragon Quest Fushigi no Dungeon and Chocobo Land: A Game of Dice to the GBA list.

ethelred

Cheesemeister said:
Weekly Shonen Jump Special Game Preview #154

There's going to be a new Chocobo game on the DS!

The Chocobo that once gave fast-running rides across the world to the Crystal Warriors is now the star of an adventure in the world of the Magic Picture Book! The characters are so small and cute~

Team G59UP!

Have you heard? The same kind of characters from Final Fantasy appear in the Magic Picture Book!

Kweh

Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book
Release date: TBA
Publisher: Square-Enix
Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: Adventure

Chocobo, the main character, lives on a Chocobo farm
Chocobo's golden color is the color of hope! With legs of wisdom, power, and pride, he'll run about the world of the Magic Picture Book!

Shiroma, a hand at the Chocobo farm
A girl who takes care of Chocobos at the farm. She'll help to navigate on Chocobo's adventure!

Kuroma, a book-loving adventurer
He found a strange Picture Book at his destination and brought it with him to the farm. Could this Picture Book be the start of a much bigger story?!

Have an adventure looking for friends in the Picture Book!

Kuroma: "Well, then! Have you ever seen a Picture Book like this?"

^^^ This is the strange Picture Book that Kuroma brought with him to the farm. As for its true colors...

Sabotender and Adamantaimai

^^^ Foil the plans of the evil wizard king on your adventure by helping friends trapped in the Picture Book!

:lol

Okay, that's pretty effin hilarious. "Chocobo's golden color is the color of hope! With legs of wisdom, power, and pride..." :lol

Shame there's no info on the gameplay. I'm guessing, at this point, it'll be a Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon game, but with the way they keep stressing this magic book thing (even going so far as to ditch the tried and true Mysterious Dungeon name to include the magic book in the title), I'm hoping it uses the touch screen in an interesting way.

Ah well... the game's due out in winter, so I'm sure we'll learn more soon.

Smiles and Cries said:
so this is an adventure as in not RPG?

only question remains will it Sell?

not PSP - sorry stupid question...

I'd bet that it's an RPG despite what the scan says.

ethelred said:
Okay, that's pretty effin hilarious. "Chocobo's golden color is the color of hope! With legs of wisdom, power, and pride..." :lol

Yeah, I've always gotten a kick out of the standard bizareness of Japanese marketing copy. None of it ever makes any real sense whatsoever, even if you understand the language. =P

jarrod

Banned
Square Enix handheld support for the past decade...

Game Boy
-Dragon Quest Monsters (1998)

WonderSwan
-Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon for WS (1999)
-Hataraku Chocobo (2000)

Game Boy Color
-Dragon Warrior Monsters (1998)
-Dragon Warrior I&II (1999)
-Doki Doki Densetsu: Mahoujin Guruguru (2000)
-Command Master (2000)
-Dragon Warrior III (2000)
-Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey (2001)
-Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (2001)
-Star Ocean: Blue Sphere (2001)

WonderSwan Color
-Final Fantasy (2000)
-Wild Card (2001)
-Final Fantasy II (2001)
-Blue Wing Blitz (2001)
-Romancing SaGa (2001)
-Hanjuku Einyu (2002)
-Makai Toushi SaGa (2002)
-Final Fantasy IV (2002)
-Front Mission (2002)

Game Boy Advance
-Dragon Quest Characters: Toruneko no Daibouken 2 Advance (2001)
-Snap Kids! (2002)
-Samurai Evolution: Oukuku Geist (2002)
-Chocoboland: A Game of Dice (2002)
-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (2003)
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (2003)
-Sword of Mana (2003)
-Slime Morimori Dragon Quest: Shougeki No Shippo Dan (2003)
-Dragon Quest Characters: Toruneko no Daibouken 3 Advance (2004)
-Final Fantasy I&II: Dawn of Souls (2004)
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (2004)
-Final Fantasy IV Advance (2005)
-Final Fantasy V Advance (2006)
-Final Fantasy VI Advance (2006)

Nintendo DS
-Hanjuku Einyu DS: Egg Monster Hero (2005)
-Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (2005)
-Children of Mana (2006)
-Mario Hoops: 3-on-3 (2006)
-Final Fantasy III (2006)
-Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon (2006)
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (2006)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Ring of Fates (2007)

PSP
-Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (2006)
-Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (2006)
-Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2007)

Meier

Looks very nice. Jonny had said the graphics would be "warm" and that looks to be a good way to describe them.

jarrod

Banned
We need better scans... to me it looks like the FF3/FFCC/DQMJ engine in game with a Yoshi's Story "pop-up" map.

ethelred

Robobandit said:
The odds of that chocobo game ever seeing the light of day in the US seem slim..

Looks very cute, though

I don't know about that. We've gotten (or will be getting) all of Square Enix's DS games so far with the exception of EMH -- and that series has never come to North America, whereas we did get a previous Chocobo game. At the very least I can see SE doing the localization and Nintendo publishing it.

Top Bottom