• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on compatible accessories and peripherals for PlayStation 5

Grinchy

Banned
Couldn't use a PS1 controller to play PS2 games, a PS2 controller on PS3 games, a PS3 controller to play PS4 games, but now we're all shocked that a PS4 controller can't be used to play PS5 games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think the weeks of bad Xbox news has left people reaching for something to bitch about with the PS5 because this one is such a desperate reach. I'm sure they'll disclose some actual bad news about PS5 to bitch about soon enough.

Miles708

It's got haptic feedback which is considered as game changer in immersion. It's got adaptive triggers that will make you feel the tension of pulling the trigger in a rifle on the controller or when using a bow and arrow. It's got better battery life. I'd say wait until you experience it for yourself.

I understand the reasoning, but we're still talking about vibration. If you code your game with a little accessibility in mind, you should consider people playing with vibration turned off entirely anyway. The DualSense advantage vanishes instantly, if that's the enviroment.

Given the button layout is also identical, I fail to see why a Dualshock 4 can't be used, other than marketing.

Last edited:

GHG

I understand the reasoning, but we're still talking about vibration. If you code your game with a little accessibility in mind, you should consider people playing with vibration turned off entirely anyway. The DualSense advantage vanishes instantly, if that's the enviroment.

Given the button layout is also identical, I fail to see why a Dualshock 4 can't be used, other than marketing.

You don't know yet, we haven't seen to what extent games utilise the new features on the DS5.

And the vast majority of people play with vibration turned on. That's the default setting.

Taking the "accessibility" route with this one really isn't it, just like it wasn't it when people were bitching about how hard Sekiro was. Just say you'd prefer for your DS4 controllers to still work and leave it at that.

Shmunter

By creating the Dualsense as a guaranteed baseline, it means devs can depend on it being there. While no guarantee, this in itself presents the best possible scenario for support. If you build it, they will come.

I actually would be even more pleased if Sony enforced creative usage of the new controller features for certification. Maybe they’ve learnt from the lack of trackpad & gyro support on DS4. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

Last edited:
You don't know yet, we haven't seen to what extent games utilise the new features on the DS5.

And the vast majority of people play with vibration turned on. That's the default setting.

Taking the "accessibility" route with this one really isn't it, just like it wasn't it when people were bitching about how hard Sekiro was. Just say you'd prefer for your DS4 controllers to still work and leave it at that.

I think the only time I've ever disabled rumble on my ps controller is when playing competitive shooters. Every other genre and game, rumble adds to the overall experience. But they haven't completely captured the immersion part with rumble on dualshock4 yet. With haptic feedback on dualsense Im intrigued to see how it'd capture that immersion aspect

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Which means, that they dropped support for DS4 in PS5 games for microphone. Rest of new functions replace rumble and need to be optional anyway (for example for disabled players).
You can deactivate the mic for sure too. Remember all that riot because of spy Kinect?

Which means, that they dropped support for DS4 in PS5 games for microphone. Rest of new functions replace rumble and need to be optional anyway (for example for disabled players).

I don't get it why do you want to use Dualshock 4 controller on a PS5 game when you have dualsense controller to play the same PS5 game? You can use your dualshock4 on PS5 with ps4 games.

For the first couple of years the bulk of my library will probably be PS4 games on PS5 (assuming full backwards compatibility) so at least my dual shock 4's will get some more life.

Murdoch

If a new controller offers much better ergonomics along with newer set of features, why would i want to use an older controller? It's like buying a brand new car and cribbing it doesn't have cassette tape for audio songs when it comes with bluetooth and usb pen drive options

If you have friends around and wanted to play 4 player splitscreen with the pads you've had for a few years. You'd have to spend another £150+ to do that now...

GHG

If you have friends around and wanted to play 4 player splitscreen with the pads you've had for a few years. You'd have to spend another £150+ to do that now...

So are we going to suddenly pretend this is still a commonly done thing and that everyone doesn't just sit on their arse at home and play online together instead?

The days of the multi-tap party are long gone.

Sethbacca

At what point did it become the norm to complain about generational shifts in hardware? Why are people acting like this is some new anti consumer move. It's been this way literally my entire life. I've had new systems that come with new controllers for the last almost 40 years. Helloooooo, not a big surprise at this point. The real question is why people let MS slide on not innovating on the controller front. I'll take the haptics and adaptive triggers for whatever new experiences they bring. I'm hopeful that they may actually get used this gen.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

At what point did it become the norm to complain about generational shifts in hardware? Why are people acting like this is some new anti consomer move. It's been this way literally my entire life. I've had new systems that come with new controllers for the last almost 40 years. Helloooooo, not a big surprise at this point. The real question is why people let MS slide on not innovating on the controller front. I'll take the haptics and adaptive triggers for whatever new experiences they bring. I'm hopeful that they may actually get used this gen.
i agree with the first part (just going to ignore the shot at MS bc i dont even know what haptics and adaptive triggers are, and i own a ps4 pro). every console ive ever bought came with a new (usually improved) controller. i dont remember consoles ever being able to use the previous iteration's controller. not sure why this story made news or why anyone thought it be any different than it has always been

b0uncyfr0

I don't like this - as a PC player who bought some DS4's ; i wanted them to work as 'm not buying more than one controller initially. Effectively any co-op games or local games are out the window...not cool.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You guys do know every ps5 will come with a controller right??

Why is this even a thread?

WhiteAltruisticFirefly-size_restricted.gif

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

You can still play all your PS4 split screen games on a PS5 with a PS4 controller, you know.

Shmunter

This is like the touchpad, most devs wont even bother using the features of the dualsense (in a unique way) because that would lock the game to that console.

Since most devs make games for other platforms as well, they will use only the basic features common to all (buttons, duh) and whatever exclusive feature the controller has is just something small and optional to the experience.

Xbox made the right choice in keeping the xbox controller simple and familiar, resulting in them not having to make compromises like this.

This is just corporate arrogance at its best. But muh haptic feedback and adaptive triggers speaks louder I guess. So much innovation.
I agree, additional inputs like the touchpad or gyro are a hard ask when games need to be built for limited inputs elsewhere, it’s the classic lowest common denominator scenario.

But things like haptics and force feedback triggers are passive and do not require input overhaul between consoles. Sony will make these features super accessible to devs with almost negligible dev time to implement.

Predict haptics and triggers will be well supported by 3rd party.

kuncol02

Banned
You can deactivate the mic for sure too. Remember all that riot because of spy Kinect?
And how you will play games which require you to blow into microphone like that Astrobot mini game.

I don't get it why do you want to use Dualshock 4 controller on a PS5 game when you have dualsense controller to play the same PS5 game? You can use your dualshock4 on PS5 with ps4 games.
Couch co-op, customized and modified gamepads (for example for disabled players), having additional controller in case something go wrong with other one? Maybe someone will actually prefer DS4 over dualsense? Why would you even care that some why some people would prefer to play with old controller? If arcade sticks will work, then why DS4 will not? That's pure greed from Sony. Again.

turtlepowa

Banned
And how you will play games which require you to blow into microphone like that Astrobot mini game.
I guess there will simply be a button that has the same effect. You were also able to play 3DS games with the 2DS that had no mic if i remember correctly-

Except you don't buy a new car for better ergonomics, likely you buy it when the older one breaks.
A more fitting example would be: from now on, for totally arbitrary reasons, Gas stations will refuse your car. Buy a new one.

Also: do we know what these DualSense features are? Just a better vibration?

What part of the world do you live in? Outside the G7? Because this simple isn't the way things work in capitalistic countries. You take a car to the mechanic when it breaks, you buy a New car when you want NEW looks/features/ergonomics.

Again Playstation believes in generations as others and they themselves have said; being able to use PS4 peripherals while playing PS4 games on PS5 is consumer friendly enough; playing PS5 games on a PS5 SHOULD require a PS5 DualSense. There should be a completely new experience accessible through new generations and thats simple not possible this time around with the dualshock4.

Banned
No Kinect? even Sony is forward supporting the PS4 camera, not to mention PSVR.

Anti consumer MS sinking to new lows. 😜

well it kinda sucks yeah. I don't see any logical reason to not support Kinect.
just with Sony not supporting the DS4 this is not defendable from a consumer perspective and should be criticised.

they use the same OS after all, this means they could easily make it compatible and chose not to.

Disagree. Best chance for new features being implemented is by making them a baseline. I prefer new features, you may not and that’s fine.

so you don't have any rebuttal to any of the points I made? got it.
no developer will use any of the new features in a way that makes them necessary and all games will let you deactivate them for accessibility reasons.
third party controllers won't have them and will be more featureless than the DS4 yet will work on PS5 games.

you can't defend this without ignoring facts and throwing out all logic... it's almost like a religion, pray to your plastic god ;)

Last edited:

Shmunter

well it kinda sucks yeah. I don't see any logical reason to not support Kinect.
just with Sony not supporting the DS4 this is not defendable from a consumer perspective and should be criticised.

they use the same OS after all, this means they could easily make it compatible and chose not to.

so you don't have any rebuttal to any of the points I made? got it.
no developer will use any of the new features in a way that makes them necessary and all games will let you deactivate them for accessibility reasons.
third party controllers won't have them and will be more featureless than the DS4 yet will work on PS5 games.

you can't defend this without ignoring facts and throwing out all logic... it's almost like a religion, pray to your plastic god ;)
Is MS including a replacement camera in the box? Think Sony is throwing in a Dualsense. 😜

Sony win...again.

Nothing is a necessity in this world apart from nourishment and shelter. Nice things are a luxury, and I’m all for Luxury, Sony knows me all too well. Only the best for ol Shmunter, you can keep the rest. People are more than welcome to their C- lifestyle on an Xbox while the rest of us discerning clients shower in A+ experiences. Life’s too short, and I’m not getting any younger.

Last edited:

Banned
Is MS including a replacement camera in the box? Think Sony is throwing in a Dualsense. 😜

Sony win...again.

Nothing is a necessity in this world apart from nourishment and shelter. Nice things are a luxury, and I’m all for Luxury, Sony knows me all too well. Only the best for ol Shmunter, you can keep the rest. People are more than welcome to their C- lifestyle on an Xbox while the rest of us discerning clients shower in A+ experiences. Life’s too short, and I’m not getting any younger.

ok, good to know all you say is pointless bullshit with no actual interest in discussion. so I can block you. keep being a mindless shill with seemingly not enough brainmatter to engage in any real discussion

Redlancet

Banned
ok, good to know all you say is pointless bullshit with no actual interest in discussion. so I can block you. keep being a mindless shill with seemingly not enough brainmatter to engage in any real discussion

err you are doing the same mate,why so mad?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Amazing seeing people complain that they can’t use “their” 6 hour lasting controllers for PS5 games instead of the longer lasting new hotness it comes with.

:messenger_weary::messenger_ok: 🤭

Shmunter

There are only so many ways to explain something. It soon becomes apparent when someone is so blind they ignore everything already written and end up getting quality answers like my last one.

Good luck to you and your shallow causes.

Mmnow

Sony win...again.

Imagine actually writing this stuff and believing it. People like you are allowed to drive and vote for political parties - terrifying but, hey, not surprising.

There are valid reasons why someone might be annoyed at this move by Sony. They've been laid out to you well and, I think, patiently. It boils down to some people bei g artificially forced to buy another controller if they want to play co-op. THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING.

If you don't have anyone to play with, I feel sorry for you. The least you can do is appreciate that some of us do and would like the option to carry our perfectly good, working DS4 forward. Options are good.

If the only reason you're here is to pretend only being able to buy one console makes you discerning, what are you even bringing to this and indeed any discussion?

Vawn

Banned
Good. I don't want PS5 games to avoid using all the features of the DualSense because they have to account for old hardware.

Miles708

What part of the world do you live in? Outside the G7? Because this simple isn't the way things work in capitalistic countries. You take a car to the mechanic when it breaks, you buy a New car when you want NEW looks/features/ergonomics.

Again Playstation believes in generations as others and they themselves have said; being able to use PS4 peripherals while playing PS4 games on PS5 is consumer friendly enough; playing PS5 games on a PS5 SHOULD require a PS5 DualSense. There should be a completely new experience accessible through new generations and thats simple not possible this time around with the dualshock4.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to see the dualsense capabilities, but at the same time I can't avoid thinking that the experience "being impossible on a ps4 controller" is, essentially, the usual marketing bullshit.

Happy to be proven wrong.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish PlayStation would stop with the bloody gimmicks & just make a straightforward, solid controller that feels comfortable in normal sized hands & has good battery life. Then make an Elite version that I can use for years & will be forward compatible, because I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

What did the DS4 bring, except pain due to it's abysmal battery drain? A dumbass light on the top, that everyone hated from day one & they had to patch in the ability to dim the fucking thing? The touchpad, which allows us to... swipe to the side in a couple of games? Oooh... Fancy. An in-built speaker, which is obviously turned off because I don't need sounds coming out my controller thanks my TV is right there?!

Seriously, just stop. Make a PlayStation Elite ffs.

ksdixon

I am salty as fuck about the PS4 controller compatability.

I dread the shape/size of PS5's controller because I hate the Xbox 1 controller. I really hope PS5 controller is comfortable.

Chupanibre

I couldn't use my NES pads on my SNES. Couldn't use my SNES pads on my N64... IIRC, I never could use any previous gen Nintendo controller on a new gen Nintendo console.

Wasn't an issue there, so why is it an issue here?

NullZ3r0

Banned
I mean Xbox one software fits all will already be holding back innovation in gameplay for 3rd party games so why hold back PlayStation exclusives with the DS4? I'm pretty sure there will be enhanced PS4 games that will use DS4.
Yes, because 3rd parties will stop making PS4 games.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That would be a big marketing mistake of they allowed that. I get that this worked with PS1 controls in a PS2 but seems unreasonable to sell a PS4 control as a replacement or an extra for a new console. Backwards compatibility would be nice, though.

Top Bottom