• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on compatible accessories and peripherals for PlayStation 5

onQ123

You said Xbox One software will hold back 3rd party development as if they're not also targeting the PS4.

SMH I'm talking about for 3rd party devs making next gen games & I clearly said there will still be enhanced PS4 games that can use the DS4.

Fbh

Sucks and I honestly don't know why people defend this as a good thing.
If there's some game specifically designed for haptic feedback then go ahead and make it only playable with the Dualsense but disabling compatibility by default is shitty. And it's Sony we are talking about, the company that did nothing worthwhile with their last 2 controller gimmicks.

Said it in the other thread: Every multiplatform game on Ps5 will be playable with the DS4......on PC.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
Lmao at Xbox fans trying to spin this as anti-consumer.

It's a new and improved controller with added functionalities that Sony want devs to make use off. If you want to use outdated controllers MS has a product for you, it's called the Xbox Series X.

Last edited:

wvnative

I'm still pretty upset but I realized, look around the market...

If you need a dualshock 4 for PS5 games, SOMEBODY WILL MAKE AN ADAPTER. The question is how long will it take?

Miles708

I really wish PlayStation would stop with the bloody gimmicks & just make a straightforward, solid controller that feels comfortable in normal sized hands & has good battery life. Then make an Elite version that I can use for years & will be forward compatible, because I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

What did the DS4 bring, except pain due to it's abysmal battery drain? A dumbass light on the top, that everyone hated from day one & they had to patch in the ability to dim the fucking thing? The touchpad, which allows us to... swipe to the side in a couple of games? Oooh... Fancy. An in-built speaker, which is obviously turned off because I don't need sounds coming out my controller thanks my TV is right there?!

Seriously, just stop. Make a PlayStation Elite ffs.

At the cost of doing a 180° mental gymnastic, I think that a wonderful game like Dreams could only be possible on Ps4, since it makes full use of all motion features, touchpad etc.

That's why the dualsense is exciting.

At the same time, I don't think it will be the paradigm shift they're marketing it as. But again, we'll see.

I'm still pretty upset but I realized, look around the market...

If you need a dualshock 4 for PS5 games, SOMEBODY WILL MAKE AN ADAPTER. The question is how long will it take?

If Sony doesn't want you to use the DS4, they'll just make the adapter not working with a bios update.

wvnative

At the cost of doing a 180° mental gymnastic, I think that a wonderful game like Dreams could only be possible on Ps4, since it makes full use of all motion features, touchpad etc.

That's why the dualsense is exciting.

At the same time, I don't think it will be the paradigm shift they're marketing it as. But again, we'll see.

If Sony doesn't want you to use the DS4, they'll just make the adapter not working with a bios update.

Depends on how they work

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Good. I don't want PS5 games to avoid using all the features of the DualSense because they have to account for old hardware.

Good point. If PS4 controllers were to be compatible with PS5 games, then not a single third party game would ever use the new functionality of the Dual Sense controller.

Nestunt

Reading this, it is safe to assume that headsets like the Arctis 7 and its wireless dongle will work on PS5, right?

Ar¢tos

You guys do know every ps5 will come with a controller right??

Why is this even a thread?
Concern trolling over not being able to play ps5 games with local MP with both ds4 and dualsense, even though there is none announced so far and local MP games are a dying thing and there are less and less every year.

Because they know very well that ps4 games with local MP will work with BC with both Ds4 and Dualsense.

It's the age of entitlement, people are never pleased and nothing is ever enough.

Journey

Banned
Concern trolling over not being able to play ps5 games with local MP with both ds4 and dualsense, even though there is none announced so far and local MP games are a dying thing and there are less and less every year.

Because they know very well that ps4 games with local MP will work with BC with both Ds4 and Dualsense.

It's the age of entitlement, people are never pleased and nothing is ever enough.

And rumble was old technology, who needs rumble when DS3 supports motion? Rumble + Motion doesn't work, amirite? or was it that Sony didn't want to pay licensing fees to the company that invented rumble? Stop defending this corporate bullshit. 100 million DS4 controllers will be obsolete after moving to PS5, its not forward thinking, they're locking those DS5 sales for people who want a 2nd or 3rd controller.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is like some people first console launch. Remember how the touchpad was going to revolutionize console controllers and the way we play games.. yeah. Don’t expect these “features” to be utilized.

hemo memo

Gold Member
And rumble was old technology, who needs rumble when DS3 supports motion? Rumble + Motion doesn't work, amirite? or was it that Sony didn't want to pay licensing fees to the company that invented rumble? Stop defending this corporate bullshit. 100 million DS4 controllers will be obsolete after moving to PS5, its not forward thinking, they're locking those DS5 sales for people who want a 2nd or 3rd controller.

No I don’t believe it. Are you saying that a multibillion for profit corporation is not my friend?

Ar¢tos

People that can afford a 500$ console and 70$ games can afford to buy a 2nd controller if they need one.
Expecting every new gen to keep supporting previous controllers for new gen games will just stagnate controllers advancement.
Do you want the ps7 to still use the ds4 too?

Paracelsus

Did anybody point out how this could be a hint that PS5 will be cheaper than expected because they expect to gouge fans through peripherals?

On Demand

Banned
Lmao at Xbox fans trying to spin this as anti-consumer.

It's a new and improved controller with added functionalities that Sony want devs to make use off. If you want to use outdated controllers MS has a product for you, it's called the Xbox Series X.

It's funny because the only "new" thing MS added to their controller was a damn share button. So of course they have more of an incentive to use the same controllers. Even the UI is going to be the same.

Sony made it clear they're about generational changes. New controller, new features, new UI etc. Sony wants to move forward. Let MS stay stuck in the past. All of a sudden a new generation with new exclusive things is a bad thing. GTFOOH.

overhead-xbox-360-vs-xbox-one-controllers1.jpg

why doest the duke work? Or the xbox 360 controller? They all have the same layout.

Banned
overhead-xbox-360-vs-xbox-one-controllers1.jpg

why doest the duke work? Or the xbox 360 controller? They all have the same layout.

they should. noone is saying that this is any better. well the Duke won't work because of its controller plug not being standard USB-A, also the duke does not have the same layout... it only has 2 shoulder buttons not 4, but has 6 face buttons instead. ALSO little known fact, the og Xbox actually had pressure sensitive face buttons! The only use for them I've ever come across is homebrew stuff like emulators tho... like I have a GBA emulator on my Xbox and that emu has settings for the button sensitivity... fucking weird... also the standard setting was way too low so you had to fucking press those buttons down like a crazy person for them to register... weird thing.
and wireless Xbox 360 controllers might not natively work on Xbox One/Series X due to their Wifi standard being incompatible. Wired 360 controllers should work tho, they should patch that in, absolutely. and wireless controllers should work if you have the Windows Wireless adapter for them. (just for people that don't know, even when u connect a wireless 360 controller through a charging cable, the controller will not work as a wired controller since that cable has no data transfer)

Microsoft should absolutely make every controller compatible that would be easy to be made compatible through a software update.

but the thing is, Wireless 360 controller would not natively work due to their proprietary wifi implementation beign different. meaning making 360 controllers compatible with Series X/Xbox One would be way harder than making the DualShock 4 work with PS5 games... as that controller actually will work with the PS5 just arbitrarily not for PS5 games

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Good news! You can actually play next gen games with your DualShock 4:

("You can also play with your Xbox One Bluetooth Wireless and PlayStation DualShock 4 controllers.")

Last edited:

IDappa

Don’t forget there are 2 types of consumers.

Those that perceive their new system getting the full might of the platform holders focus as a pro VS those that don’t value a new system focus and prefer things unchanged.

Depending on personal preference one of these approaches makes more sense.

Certainly for me unshackling from the past and eliminating weight of the technical dept is the preferred choice as it has the best chance for moving things forward and giving me what I value. Status quo does not inspire me.

In a nutshell, MS is anti consumer for a consumer like me, whereas Sony is pro consumer by aligning to my needs.
Sony forcing people to spend more money on a controller is consumer friendly?, Over allowing people to use their old accessories and have the choice to upgrade their spare controllers when they feel the need is anti consumerism?. I don't understand your logic but okay you do you.

IDappa

Methinks once casual Xbox players get to play on their friends PS5 with all of the new features and notice the difference between experiences there is going to be a change of tone
Those casual Xbox players have already experienced a trigger rumble for this whole generation, me thinks you're blinded by brand loyalty. Giving more options to the consumer is the only pro consumer option.

Shmunter

Those casual Xbox players have already experienced a trigger rumble for this whole generation, me thinks you're blinded by brand loyalty. Giving more options to the consumer is the only pro consumer option.

Absolutely, that’s why you’ll be playing next gen games on your Xbox VCR edition. 🤪

You need to relax bro, some people value brand new experience more than saving a few bucks. I appreciate money talks & bullshit walks, but for some, their hobby counts for more than stale cash in their pockets. And newness comes at a cost.

Last edited:

IDappa

Absolutely, that’s why you’ll be playing next gen games on your Xbox VCR edition. 🤪

You need to relax bro, some people value brand new experience more than saving a few bucks. I appreciate money talks & bullshit walks, but for some, their hobby counts for more than stale cash in their pockets. And newness comes at a cost.
I'll have all the plastic boxes my friend it's not a that I prefer one company over the other I prefer not to take it up the arse and then make excuses why I enjoy it. Each to their own tho.

I fail to see how getting features that have been in an Xbox one controller for the past 7 years is going to bring you new experiences. It's not a matter of money for some (pretty stupid statement tbh) for some they rather not be knickel and dimed.

Seems like you've been honeydicked by big boy sony. Power to you

Last edited:

Shmunter

I'll have all the plastic boxes my friend it's not a that I prefer one company over the other I prefer not to take it up the arse and then make excuses why I enjoy it. Each to their own tho.

I fail to see how getting features that have been in an Xbox one controller for the past 7 years is going to bring you new experiences. It's not a matter of money for some (pretty stupid statement tbh) for some they rather not be knickel and dimed.

Seems like you've been honeydicked by big boy sony. Power to you
You don’t see, because you don’t know enough. Do some research if you value not coming across as a complete ninkanpoop. I only reply once to help out, you’re welcome..

Last edited:

IDappa

You don’t see, because you don’t know enough. Do some research if you value not coming across as a complete ninkanpoop. I only reply once to help out, you’re welcome..
I know what features the controller has bud, I also know you are a blatant fanboy.aking excuses to make yourself feel better about getting bent over.

The main difference from the new Xbox controller and PlayStation controller is the adaptive triggers. Everything else they're playing catch up with.

Keihart

i just want my fucking aracade stick to work, every fucking gen i have to get a new arcade stick...and i don't even use it that much, but fighting games without one aren't as fun for me :(
Also, the console already comes with a dualsense, you can still tailor games to that controller without splitting the player base if you are compatible with DS4...man, i'm pretty sure that arcade sticks are gonna get curb stomped again, what a bummer.

Last edited:
I know what features the controller has bud, I also know you are a blatant fanboy.aking excuses to make yourself feel better about getting bent over.

The main difference from the new Xbox controller and PlayStation controller is the adaptive triggers. Everything else they're playing catch up with.
Don't forget about the "Haptic.... FEEDBAAAAAACK"
It's all an excuse to sell more dualsenses, really.

Shmunter

Why so emotional? Why so unhinged?

Of course I’m a fan, that’s exactly what I told you in the beginning, thats what I like, what I want and what I pay for. You’ve only just worked it out now? You’re not the sharpest tool in the shed are you.

Keep living your C- existence with your 2013 lol controller, while I live an A+ life with everything brand new, just like I want it. Must hurt. .

Last edited:

IDappa

Why so emotional? Why so unhinged?

Of course I’m a fan, that’s exactly what I told you in the beginning, thats what I like, what I want and what I pay for. You’ve only just worked it out now? You’re not the sharpest tool in the shed are you.

Keep living your C- existence with your 2013 lol controller, while I live an A+ life with everything brand new, just like I want it. Must hurt. .
I'm not emotional, I call it how I see it my friend and by the looks of it you're a tool as soon as you mentioned money I knew what type of person you are. I'm glad you get to experience what millions of other players have already experienced and you get to pay a nice premium for it too.

Thought I said I'd own a PS5 already, gotta stop glossing over facts my friend.

It's been a pleasure.

Shmunter

I'm not emotional, I call it how I see it my friend and by the looks of it you're a tool as soon as you mentioned money I knew what type of person you are. I'm glad you get to experience what millions of other players have already experienced and you get to pay a nice premium for it too.

Thought I said I'd own a PS5 already, gotta stop glossing over facts my friend.

It's been a pleasure.
Lol, no it hasn’t. I’m also not your bud or friend.

Now go play on the highway.

Last edited:

IDappa

No
Lol, no it hasn’t. I’m also not your bud or friend.

Now go play on the highway.
Don't be like that bud, no clue why you're so salty perhaps it's from the shock of learning you've been excited for last gen tech and then told you're paying a premium for it.

Just embrace all of gaming, sounds like you have plenty of money from what you've said..

Last edited:

IDappa

To
Don't forget about the "Haptic.... FEEDBAAAAAACK"
It's all an excuse to sell more dualsenses, really.
To be fair adaptive feedback in the triggers sounds pretty cool. I hope they support it, I have faith Sony will push their 1st parties to utilise it in interesting ways. But we shall see.

Last edited:

Shmunter

No

Don't be like that bud, no clue why you're so salty perhaps it's from the shock of learning you've been excited for last gen tech and then told you're paying a premium for it.

Just embrace all of gaming, sounds like you have plenty of money from what you've said..
images

Mmmm, so gorgeous...you like that don’t ya. So magnificent. If you’re lucky, you may see one in your local GameStop....yeah, I can tell.....What would you do just to touch it?

lol nah just kidding, settle down you’re alright. I’m glad we had this chat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom