• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

Curufinwe

It's been quite a turn to see but not entirely unsurprising considering the original complaints were fabricated concerns to begin with. The biggest turn around to me has been the 'being forced to upgrade' line. It used to be trotted out in almost every PC thread, and now has been strangely absent since the Pro and Scorpio were announced :)

Next to go is 'I just want to simply put in disc and play without having to tweak settings' since some patched Pro games will have multiple graphics options to choose from.

If I wanted to play modern PC games I'd be forced to upgrade my PC. Mobo, CPU and GPU.

cooldawn

PS4 Pro has been demonstrated to provide all those things--better geometry, better effects, better framerate, etc.--from the very first time Sony showed footage. It's up to the developers which elements they wish to improve.
Your referring to Tomb Raider and...what else?

Stuff like this...
It's night and day. The difference is like a low-end PC to high-end, it's that big. It makes me eager to get a Pro, but kinda sad at the same time my PS4 is now being left behind.
...is laughable. 'night and day'...'PS4 is now being left behind'. It's the same game with the same complexity. These reasons seem to be poor for high-end improvements but as long as developers do this...rather than increase complexity and mature a scene, flesh it out...then the perception is it's amazing.

Man, that's really sad. Gamers aren't asking more of the developer...just the same at a higher resolution.

Caveat - my reaction is based on what I know from here and media. I suspect there may be a game, or two, that is in development right now...like Death Stranding for instance...that could actually show how a PS4 Pro can elevate a title to a degree much higher than games currently being patched i.e the core of a games code includes enhancements greater and easier to implement than being retrospectively introduced.

Tarnpanzer

ps4 vs ps4 pro 4k downscaled image in photoshop.

ps4vsproq5um6.png

ps4 pro
ps4
pc

Does downsampling actually sharpens textures in some way or why are the textures so much sharper on Pro?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does downsampling actually sharpens textures in some way or why are the textures so much sharper on Pro?

If your using higher resolution, you can see geometry much clearer.

Basically, a texture is generally only as good as the clarity of the image itself.

At 4K, details that were smudges or blurs at 720p or 1080p become discernible.

This was particularly true of PS2 games. Running them at higher resolutions really allowed details that could not even be seen at 480p and below to really be their best.

Valkyria Profile 2 is a great example

http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=43061

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm tearing my hair out on whether to jump onto the Pro or not now, these shots look good but it's hard to justify £350.

If you already have a PS4, trade it in !

If this is your first console, then it's a different ballgame altogether.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a more powerful PS4.

Do you have a PS4?
If you already have a PS4, trade it in !

If this is your first console, then it's a different ballgame altogether.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a more powerful PS4.
Yeah but I will eventually need a second one.

Its just how much better this will look on my screen and whether games will even support downsampling. I'm not buying Titanfall but will be buying Dishonored, Watch_Dogs and Final Fantasy in the near future.

adamsapple

If your using higher resolution, you can see geometry much clearer.

Basically, a texture is generally only as good as the clarity of the image itself.

At 4K, details that were smudges or blurs at 720p or 1080p become discernible.

This was particularly true of PS2 games. Running them at higher resolutions really allowed details that could not even be seen at 480p and below to really be their best.

Valkyria Profile 2 is a great example

http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=43061

Yep, higher resolution really does bring out details. Just shows the artists put up a lot of work, most of which is often compromised by the rendering resolution.

Hell ... the wolves in FFXII had visible butt holes that I could never see on a PS2, but they were clear as day on PCSX2.

Yeah but I will eventually need a second one.

Its just how much better this will look on my screen and whether games will even support downsampling. I'm not buying Titanfall but will be buying Dishonored, Watch_Dogs and Final Fantasy in the near future.

All 3 games you mentioned are Pro enhanced. All games here onward will be Pro enhanced, and even if they don't have SEPARATE modes for 4K or 1080p enhanced, even if it just supports higher resolution, it will appear on your 1080p display as supersampled, since it's a higher resolution being packed into your 1080p display.

Is PC-Gaf as money conscious as console-Gaf?

I can't remember seeing a new gfx card being released and having a thread full of people speculating whether its worth it or not.............they just throw money at it and hope for the best

The Pro is offering a significant upgrade to the og ps4 for £349 especially if you factor in trade-ins.

Is this why this is the first time we've had a mid gen change up from a console manufacturer? the mindset is completely different?

Your referring to Tomb Raider and...what else?
Off the top of my head, Bound, Paragon, TLOU, Ni-Oh, Uncharted, Infamous, and Titanfall 2 all have announced graphics and/or framerate improvements besides just resolution. I'm sure there are more I don't remember, and there will be many more in the future.

If you think the only difference in PS4 Pro games will be resolution, I'd strongly suggest you read up on the topic. GAF has had plenty of threads recently.

Inuhanyou

Day zero. This comparison shot was the final. Why isn't Sony dumping any comparison shot or vids? Wtf, over?

The thing is, is it really necessary for them to do that? When the machine is out in the wild, word of mouth will spread about the differences anyway

inner-G

Banned
I'm tearing my hair out on whether to jump onto the Pro or not now, these shots look good but it's hard to justify £350.

I can't remember seeing a new gfx card being released and having a thread full of people speculating whether its worth it or not.............they just throw money at it and hope for the best

The Pro is offering a significant upgrade to the og ps4 for £349 especially if you factor in trade-ins.

Is this why this is the first time we've had a mid gen change up from a console manufacturer? the mindset is completely different?
Well... the whole Pro only costs half as much as a top end GPU, so they're not really directly comparable. It's not as big of an investment.

Probably the biggest appeal of consoles are their prices, and also the convenience, but the price is the main thing I'd say. So yeah, by its very design, it's meant to kinda cheap. So yeah, console gamers are definitely way more price conscious.

The thing about pc gaming, you have always needed an expensive PC. Games are so poorly optimised, frequently that the only way to really get around that problem for years has been brute force. Things might be changing soon though, I sense a plateau approaching.

It's night and day. The difference is like a low-end PC to high-end, it's that big. It makes me eager to get a Pro, but kinda sad at the same time my PS4 is now being left behind.

The assets are the same, that's not what you'd expect from a low to ultra jump in a PC game at all.

Inuhanyou

The assets are the same, that's not what you'd expect from a low to ultra jump in a PC game at all.

Going from sub native res to above native res can certainly give that impression. Even if the assets are the same, the screen is smudged to the point where those details are completely lost on the user and can give the impression of being lower quality than they actually are.

Its what we were just talking about in regards to the textures.

PSP games look like shit until you blow the res up on an emulator, and then a lot actually have surprisingly high res assets.

158387-Kingdom_Hearts_-_Birth_by_Sleep_(Europe)-1.jpg

The thing is when you buy a PC the logic can go like this.

I can spend X money and get Y performance.

Or I can spend 1.5X money and get 1.3Y to 1.7Y performance.

Or I can spend 2X money and 1.9Y to 2.2Y performance.

And I can spend 0.2X more and get a big SSD. And 0.1X more and get 2 TB extra internal HDD space.

With a PC you can go as far as you want, and it's pretty psychologically easy to say "well if I just spend a bit more I'll have a better PC." Which is what happens, to me as well.

And then there's upgrades. The cycle really only ends in upgrading a PC when you decide you want it to stop, or start.

So maybe you originally plan to spend $600 on a PC. But with what you "could do" with a little extra money you might go up to $800 or $1000 or $1200 depending on how far you want to stretch your wallet.

You can't do that with consoles. At all. Except between Pro and vanilla, that's only one decision, and it's fairly easy to decide.

You can't push up your specs slightly more and justify it, because there are no other options between the PS4 and Pro. It's just either or option.

And yes because the whole concept of a mid-gen refresh is new, it's getting a lot more flak than it probably deserves. I'm ready for Pro tbh.

Fisty

Yep, higher resolution really does bring out details. Just shows the artists put up a lot of work, most of which is often compromised by the rendering resolution.

Hell ... the wolves in FFXII had visible butt holes that I could never see on a PS2, but they were clear as day on PCSX2.

Cant wait for those 4K wolf holes in the PS4 Pro remaster

Latimer

Banned
Games are so poorly optimised, frequently that the only way to really get around that problem for years has been brute force. Things might be changing soon though, I sense a plateau approaching.

I'd say most are pretty well optimised, there are always shitty half arsed ports but they aren't the majority at lal.

For instance Frostbite games are very well optimised and look incredible, and even with a 750ti you can get better than PS4 performance..but then you have games like Mafia 3 and Arkham Knight (which is now pretty much fixed) which just make everyone sad. But of course the bad ports get reported on a lot more than the good ones so many console gamers just see PC games as unoptimised messes.

geordiemp

I do think it necessary. 100%. I don't get it, but I'm just a iron worker not A marketing scholar.

Depends where the pre-sales are at.

If Sony Shipped out say 1.5 million Ps4 pro consoles, and most of them are already sold out, then there is no hurry to do a big marketing blizz. Numbers made up for example...

If say only 20 % of them were sold in pre orders, then maybe we would see allot more marketing - like now....

None of us know how well Pro is selling and what volumes Sony shipped- although some retails like Amazon UK and Tesco UK are sold out...which hints at Sony not needing to do anything yet.

I did the same yesterday.
500 gb system
1 20th anniversary ds4
8 physical games
P.t. Demo on hard drive
HDMI cable
Power cord
Og box

Anyone guess what price I'm asking???
Why did you have advertise the power cable and HDMI cable? Aren't those a given? I'm guessing you're asking $280.00. Question how are you keeping P.T. on the hard drive? Don't you have to format your console before you sell it?

Why did you have advertise the power cable and HDMI cable? Aren't those a given? I'm guessing you're asking $280.00. Question how are you keeping P.T. on the hard drive? Don't you have to format your console before you sell it?
I prefer to be thorough in all my endeavors.

adamsapple

$350 but am entertaining a offer of 300$.
Dude has to clear it with his wife so I'm not to confident.
If any gaffers are interested and live in the Portland area. Pm me. Btw it's a quite PS4 and can test it.

Fuuuuu... i edited my reply from $349.99 to $329 :p

I hope you're able to get a good deal. Join the Pro side !

Top Bottom