• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

platina

Here's another comparison showing the notable difference in iq. Skyrim is super sharp on pro.

PS4 Pro native 4k downscaled to 1080p.
data.images.event.221hgzcs.png

PS4 Standard 1080p capture
skyrim_20161030213726tqbb6.png

Everything just looks more vibrant.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Here's another comparison showing the notable difference in iq. Skyrim is super sharp on pro.

Fuck, Skyrim OG looks good too but that Pro picture. Can't turn back now.

The Argus

Ugh I want TF2 so bad on my Pro. I'm just so accustomed to playing the original on my Xbox Elite controller and really don't want to renew my PSN+ account for one game. That and with the sales numbers I expect this to be in the EA Access Vault sooner than later.

platina

It's like from here on out every ps4 version when compared to pro will have that vaseline look. And that ps4 shot was native 1080p too.

ghibli99

It's like getting a new pair of glasses with the proper prescription. Looks good even at 1080, but damn, that 4K downscale is just superb.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Imagining how great FFXV is going to look...

To be clear this is what it looks like on a regular 1080p tv with the pro?

huh1678

Banned
Thanks! Most offers in my area at CL are $200-$250. Selling console in a public place, like a mall or Starbucks? Dont people buying wanna check if it is working?

malls, starbucks, fast food places etc,.You can always have a listing with photos of the ps4 on and have a link video of the ps4 running . Thats how i sold my ps4 anyway(guy wanted to know if the wi-fi was working so i made a video and showed him in person) at a local McDonald.

VanWinkle

Hmm.

Of these 4 Ratchet & Clank shots, 1 is from the latest patch, 3 are from before the patch. I've deliberately not picked images that are in the same place. Who can see the difference? Note. These are all just from a PS4, not a Pro.

http://i.imgur.com/q7z84n8.png
http://i.imgur.com/ddGdtS0.png
http://i.imgur.com/Um6gD13.png
http://i.imgur.com/KuY5XuZ.png

Answer:
the third one is post patch.

Wait, did R&C get a patch that improved image quality? I'm not seeing the aliasing on the metal on that third image like we normally would.

Foliage is immensely cleaner and less blurry in the Pro shot. Seriously, focus on the leaves and compare the two images. So much better

platina

To be clear this is what it looks like on a regular 1080p tv with the pro?
The native 4k screenshot is like 30mb from the bethesda blog so i just downscaled it from 4k to 1080p on my computer. I don't think anyone who has the pro early has posted skyrim shots.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
To be honest, I think I'm getting one for that game alone. And Horizon.

If they also do a bloodborne patch I think my face will melt.

I waited so long for the game, I want to play the best looking version possible at launch.

DBT85

Wait, did R&C get a patch that improved image quality? I'm not seeing the aliasing on the metal on that third image like we normally would.

Yep. You too get a cookie for being able to spot the difference.

I have Choc Chip or White Choc and Raspberry.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

These may be the best comparison pic I have seen yet. Damn its a huge difference.

Thanks! Most offers in my area at CL are $200-$250. Selling console in a public place, like a mall or Starbucks? Dont people buying wanna check if it is working?

CL as in Charlotte? If yes then I'm from Newton which is only an hour away and sold my PSVR to a guy from Charlotte last week. We met at a Walmart in Denver(NC). But before then he did want some proof that it worked. I just quickly uploaded a 10 second clip to Youtube showing it on and the inside of the goggles. You can just do the same thing. Show yourself turning it on and then your TV/Monitor displaying the PS4 UI and you're good to go.

VanWinkle

Man I really want the Pro now.

I was looking at the boxes in the security room at the Walmart I work today at and just thinking how much I want it, lol.

Considering that many would think that the TF2 PS4 screen and the R&C screens probably don't come from the same system I'd probably agree, because each developer puts a different value on IQ. Though I still don't know what your point is?

We can compare, we can look at screens from the same game and different games and different systems. Anyone who looks at those comparisons and CAN see a difference can make a choice based on it, just as we've seen in this thread.

The "ahh shit, I want a Pro now" response.

There's a couple points I'm trying to get across. The first is for all the claims of it being such a "huge" difference, the fact that if you put out 20 screenshots from 20 different games, with a mixture of Pro vs Standard, if it truly was a huge difference, one would be able to easily identify which is which. VF1 to VF2 is a huge difference. PS2 to PS3 is a huge difference. Even PS3 to PS4 is a substantial difference. I think there's a difference here, but it's not as perceptible as some people are saying without the side by side which leads me into my second point.

The second point is, for most, they aren't going to do a side by side on their own and not very likely to seek out a side by side for every game they play. What percentage of the people out there who play on the PS4 actually know exactly what the image quality difference is between the PS4 and the XBO version? People accept and assume it's better without actually knowing if it is and how. I think the same is going to happen here. People will assume the Pro version is better and I bet plenty will falsely attribute something they see on screen to being a result of the Pro but might actually be something that is the same on the base PS4 version. So in the end, a lot of it is going to be blind faith that it's better without actually know if it is, or how it is better.

Bringing it back to identifying which platform it is on without a point of reference, I bet plenty of people would incorrectly identify which system was which because they wouldn't really know how it was better and just make assumptions that anything that looked good was on the Pro regardless if it was the result of benefits from the Pro. I'm getting a Pro, but I think people are going to put things on faith rather than knowing. I'm guilty of it myself.

lolmark

Whaaaaat. I was definitely thinking about cancelling my PS4 Pro pre-order but I'm glad there's reason to keep it. I'm hoping Bloodborne gets a FPS bump.

Drewfonse

Ugh I want TF2 so bad on my Pro. I'm just so accustomed to playing the original on my Xbox Elite controller and really don't want to renew my PSN+ account for one game. That and with the sales numbers I expect this to be in the EA Access Vault sooner than later.

As someone who owns TF2 for both consoles, owns and love the Elite controller, let me say that the Dual Shock 4 does an admirable job. I still prefer the Elite, but the difference is negligible, for me.

And boy, is it gonna look better on the Pro...

Gleethor

Ugh. I want a Pro but I know that I'm essentially paying $400 (minus trade in) for peace of mind in regards to IQ and performance.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm hoping that Mafia III doesn't look like poop on PRO. It looks like poop to me now, but I think they said it is getting a PRO patch... sooo, hopefully better visually.

The Argus

As someone who owns TF2 for both consoles, owns and love the Elite controller, let me say that the Dual Shock 4 does an admirable job. I still prefer the Elite, but the difference is negligible, for me.

And boy, is it gonna look better on the Pro...

You just made me spend $120. I hope you're happy. :D

I'm so weak.

BSpot

The native 4k screenshot is like 30mb from the bethesda blog so i just downscaled it from 4k to 1080p on my computer. I don't think anyone who has the pro early has posted skyrim shots.

See? Now, I appreciate your efforts, but this is where I get a little cynical. This is you downsampling a 4k image to 1080p. This is not what came off a PS4 Pro running at 1080p.

Maybe it will look exactly like that. But maybe not quite, either... yes?

People are taking this as gospel. I'm not so sure it is?

Teletraan1

Banned
Looks good. Not good enough that I am going to upgrade. Which is my issue with the Pro. It is something I would have definitely bought had I known to wait until next week. I don't think I would have really missed anything in doing so.

Top Bottom