• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of The Conduit (Wii)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TunaLover said:
I´m trying contact High Voltage, those brightening glasses needs to be more opaque IMO, looks like the main character is using a neon light in the head =/

My only (most important grip) complaint of the game now.

the-conduit-20080417032645817_640w.jpg

Edit: I can´t find any contact link =(

You can't? Go to their homepage: http://www.high-voltage.com/

Then click on the fourth option at the top, "Contacts."

There's a phone number, an address and several e-mail addresses. Knock yourself out.

Threi said:

No. "An." How would you pronounce "NES?" You would literally verbalize "Enn Ee Ess." Essentially, pronouncing "NES" begins with a vowel, which takes the word "an" before it, not "a."

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Danthrax said:
No. "An." How would you pronounce "NES?" You would literally verbalize "Enn Ee Ess." Essentially, pronouncing "NES" begins with a vowel, which takes the word "an" before it, not "a."

No. "a NES". You might pronounce it "an NES" but its because you don't articulate.

To come back on the subject, do they have a publisher?

Xavien

Danthrax said:
You can't? Go to their homepage: http://www.high-voltage.com/

Then click on the fourth option at the top, "Contacts."

There's a phone number, an address and several e-mail addresses. Knock yourself out.

Depends, some pronouce it as enn ee ess, some pronounce it as it is written, i.e. neess, "a" is correct for that, but incorrect if it is pronounced enn ee ess.

Haunted

New vids look good.

Danthrax said:
No, it's an acronym, not an abbreviation.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mistouze said:
No. "a NES". You might pronounce it "an NES" but its because you don't articulate.

The Associated Press Stylebook disagrees with you. To wit:

-----
a, an Use the article a before consonant sounds: a historic event, a one-year term (sounds as if it begins with a w), a united stand (sounds like you).

Use the article an before before vowel sounds: an energy crisis, an honorable man (the h is silent), an NBA record (sounds like it begins with the letter e), an 1890s celebration.
-----

The second-to-last example is a match for this situation.

Mistouze said:
To come back on the subject, do they have a publisher?

Not yet.

Xavien said:
Depends, some pronouce it as enn ee ess, some pronounce it as it is written, i.e. neess, "a" is correct for that, but incorrect if it is pronounced enn ee ess.

Oh that's weird, it would just remind me of Earthbound. =P

Danthrax said:
Oh that's weird, it would just remind me of Earthbound. =P
In the places where it's pronounced ness, Earthbound was never released in any way, shape or form.

In Australia, the Sega Genesis was called the Sega Mega Drive and "Sega" was pronounced seegah as opposed to saygah. This was mostly due to a lack of TV commercials to correct the mispronunciation.

Another fun fact is that Ninja Gaiden was released here and in Europe as Shadow Warrior. Up until I head it in a podcast recently, I pronounced it as I read it: ninja gay-den rather than as it's pronounced (ninja guy-den).

legend166

I always thought that everyone said "ness" when talking about the NES, and "Super ness" when talked about the SNES, until I started listening to podcasts and heard people actually say "en e ess".

Strange.

legend166 said:
I always thought that everyone said "ness" when talking about the NES, and "Super ness" when talked about the SNES, until I started listening to podcasts and heard people actually say "en e ess".

Strange.
I used to either say Super ness or sness, depending on what mood I was in. Seemed bizarre to me that people would spell out the initials since enn ee ess took just as long to say as Nintendo.

pakkit

Banned
Epic derail. The new footage isn't new, although a more in depth video on the seeker missile gun was appreciated. Apparently you can control the way it curves by tilting the remote. Should add depth online!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I used to either say Super ness or sness, depending on what mood I was in. Seemed bizarre to me that people would spell out the initials since enn ee ess took just as long to say as Nintendo.

Sness. Huh. I think I'm gonna pronounce it that way around my friends and see what their reactions are.

Anyway, so yeah, Conduit video. I'm getting really sick of seeing the same level, like a couple others said. At least it keeps looking good. I like the addition of the "distance to target" thing, even if it seems a bit superfluous.

I love how the "reviews" section on their website links to obscure, crappy reviewers stupid enough to give their shovelware high scores.

Its actually a pretty good looking website, surprisingly.

Arde5643

TheHeretic said:
I love how the "reviews" section on their website links to obscure, crappy reviewers stupid enough to give their shovelware high scores.
We all have to start somewhere, right? :lol

viciouskillersquirrel said:

I've always spelled out the letters, except that I rarely bothered with the acronyms at all until there was more than one "Nintendo". But I've always hated hearing people say "Ness". I knew a guy who called the SNES the "Sneeze" and it made me want to hit him. "Sness" is better, but still...yuck. Acronyms shouldn't be pronounced unless they spell a somewhat reasonable attempt at a word. I'd say these two are borderline, leaning on the dumb side.

Azure J

OK, time to put in some bits of truth. In motion, the game looks freaking sweet, but dammit, the developers need some lessons in cohesive art style.
(Paging Retro Studios. :lol )
Those ugly, strechy, bump mapped aliens are causing a serious disconnect between the game's visual and technical aesthetics (to me anyway), something which they shouldn't want happening for their swan song Wii game.

That being said, as I mentioned above, in motion it looks frikkin glorious. The effort is there technically and it shows. I hope this will be the signal for a turning point in Wii's efforts and as such I hope it continues to receive more well needed attention and care.

AzureJericho said:
Those ugly, strechy, bump mapped aliens are causing a serious disconnect between the game's visual and technical aesthetics (to me anyway), something which they shouldn't want happening for their swan song Wii game.

The Conduit is going to be their last Wii game?

joetachi

Zenith said:
yes, I especially like how the LOD is so low it requires the far end of the room to revert to low-res textures.
Dude why do you care if you not interested in this game. If people like it let them like it but please you only enter the thread when something doesn't look good.

Zenith

Banned
joetachi said:
Dude why do you care if you not interested in this game. If people like it let them like it but please you only enter the thread when something doesn't look good.

yawn, that old argument. I'm voicing my opinion on something. Why don't you go say the above to all the people in the Dogz 2008 thread, huh?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
i`m a big wii fa and owner but this game just look like crap to me - metroid prime 3 just destroys it graphic-wise....

joetachi

Zenith said:
yawn, that old argument. I'm voicing my opinion on something. Why don't you go say the above to all the people in the Dogz 2008 thread, huh?
Simple you have not made a post in this thread since a batch of bad screens where released then when some bad screens appear now you magically appear trolling the game. You say your voicing your opinion but you didnt voice it when videos where released.

Zenith

Banned
joetachi said:
You say your voicing your opinion but you didnt voice it when videos where released.

cry me a river? I'm not obligated to post anything.

and you might want to look up your definition of trolling. the comments I made were completely valid unless you're going to pretend there's no aliasing. you just don't like hearing the negatives.

and that whole "I'm not interested in the game because I'm not planning to buy it" argument is actually incredibly retarded. just because I'm not getting it doesn't mean I'm not interested. I'm wasn't planning at all to get MGS4 but I was still hella interested in that. I was interested in that shitty car vault game because it represented how low some devs had sunk. and I'm interested in the Conduit because a shooter is a rarity on the Wii and it supposedly represents the forefront of Wii graphics, but all I see are lowered standards. I don't comment on any FIFA/PES games because they do bore me rigid and therefore I'm not interested in them.

Threi

notag
This game is so goddamn graphically inconsistent. The tech is there but...either they need to choose their screenshots better or spend more time on the assets.

Threi said:
This game is so goddamn graphically inconsistent. The tech is there but...either they need to choose their screenshots better or spend more time on the assets.
I agree. . . I don't understand how one group of released screens and in game demo vids can look soooo good yet we turn around and see crappy screens. . .

They better bring their A game to their Nintendo booth thing at Pax.. . .these new screens look bad.

Black-Wind said:
I agree. . . I don't understand how one group of released screens and in game demo vids can look soooo good yet we turn around and see crappy screens. . .

They better bring their A game to their Nintendo booth thing at Pax.. . .these new screens look bad.
They look like they did before they started adding their bump maps and specular highlights.

Probably developing on a level by level basis and haven't added some of the interesting visual tricks their engine supports.

Threi

notag
Vinci said:
What .... what the fuck happened to this?!

Seems like they took out a lot of "teh shiny" again. Dunno if it was genuine Normal Mapping or EMBM.

I don't know what the hell is going on with this title though, its almost as if they are playing around with settings on a PC, pressing "printscreen" at any moment, and then giving it to the internet.

Eteric Rice

I'm probably going to buy this to help them get out of their shovelware state.

Now, if they make another Wii game, I'd hope they hire better artists. Their engine looks like it is pretty capable, but their artists aren't very good at the moment.

Azure J

Oh yeah, they're definitely fine tuning this part. In motion stuff doesn't look on par with what was released in the last trailer. My guess is that they're showing off new content while tuning it up piece by piece over time so that we still have stuff to look forward to down the road.

Azure J

Threi said:
So graphically inconsistent.

What resolution is this game being rendered at?

I'm about to be trolled for this horribly I feel it, but what if the guys at High Voltage are trying to disprove the claimed fact that Wii can only output 640x480p? (I'm only going up to 720x480p in my own craziness though :p)

Top Bottom