• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Gears of War 4 Beta Gameplay

Loomba

Lol that's great. While before you were able to rush to the same cover, opposite side and outplay your opponent using movement, aim down sight and/or blindfire smartly, now you're just gonna have to lay back, slow down the game or be killed by a Press-A-for-awesome move.

Off to a good start.

I agree, especially since they want the game on the esports scene. You can't make instant kill moves like that.

Zeta Oni

Lol that's great. While before you were able to rush to the same cover, opposite side and outplay your opponent using movement, aim down sight and/or blindfire smartly, now you're just gonna have to lay back, slow down the game or be killed by a Press-A-for-awesome move.

Off to a good start.

What?

First off, in the videos being discussed, there is a clear point where the pull over animation stops and then the knife kill animation begins. This, coupled with the fact I'm pretty sure they discussed a counter to the knife kill during the Game Informer coverage leads me to believe you might be a bit hasty in your views.

Regardless, how about you play the open beta and see for yourself how this effects the game before talking about this "press a for awesome" shit? How you got to your conclusion that this mechanic takes the skill out of a particular situation, with no hands on a controller playing Gears of War 4, is beyond me.

There could be a way to break the animation as soon as it starts.
There could be a way to counter the knife kill.
There could be a way to nullify the prompt to even do it (I.e. Hard aiming opponents don't let you pull them over, so you can still catch a shotgun to the face trying this shit)

We will find out very shortly.

brawly

What?

First off, in the videos being discussed, there is a clear point where the pull over animation stops and then the knife kill animation begins. This, coupled with the fact I'm pretty sure they discussed a counter to the knife kill during the Game Informer coverage leads me to believe you might be a bit hasty in your views.

Regardless, how about you play the open beta and see for yourself how this effects the game before talking about this "press a for awesome" shit? How you got to your conclusion that this mechanic takes the skill out of a particular situation, with no hands on a controller playing Gears of War 4, is beyond me.

There could be a way to break the animation as soon as it starts.
There could be a way to counter the knife kill.
There could be a way to nullify the prompt to even do it (I.e. Hard aiming opponents don't let you pull them over, so you can still catch a shotgun to the face trying this shit)

We will find out very shortly.

So basically you're speculating, just like me, but because I see things more negatively I'm somehow in the wrong here. Did I get that right? I'll play the beta but I'll be damned if I don't get to comment freely on what I see, because that's we're all doing until next week.

Also, it is a button press looking at the video. Whether I can counter it or not, it looks stupid to me. It's basically the equivalent of the chainsaw button mash duell mechanic. It takes the movement out of a game heavily based on movement.

Theorry

Looks like what Rod said with GI.

"Beta is alpha of the multiplayer. "It's not a coded, fake, demo, high polished thing as a marketing demo" "

Warxard

Banned

Off to a good start.

If you're dumb enough to not notice those animation frames quick enough to dodge seeing as those knife kills look to be highly telegraphed then well, do you.

We just got off a sequel where Mantle Kick into Gnasher GUARANTEED free kills. Come on, don't play me. Gears players in a post - 3 future should know damn well NEVER to share a wall of cover with the AI. That's an L waiting to be delivered to you.

Zeta Oni

So basically you're speculating, just like me, but because I see things more negatively I'm somehow in the wrong here. Did I get that right? I'll play the beta but I'll be damned if I don't get to comment freely on what I see, because that's we're all doing until next week.

Comment on whatever the hell you want dude.

I'm just saying your particular viewpoints strike me as hasty, and overly negative about something you have very little information on.

You don't have to change your mind about shit, I'm just offering a way of looking at things that doesn't immediately shit on change with no details.

Its all good though.

The dream is a PC version of Gears 4, and an included"Gears 4 Unreal Engine 4 map-making suite' on PC, for arena and horde mode, that can be shared and played on console as well.

Rather than spending millions on a small development team to create a 'paltry' 12 maps, build the toolset, and let the dedicated community do the work; make bank off of hundreds of cosmetics, from a community invested in an effectively infinite supply of user-generated content.

MS said mod-support was coming to their Windows store - what better way to prove it than this occasion.

Visually, there's no way the game will look that rough at launch. This is a true Beta with placeholder textures all over.

I'm loving how familiar and traditional "Gears" it is, and how it looks nothing like Judgement.
What I'm not digging is that blood on the screen... It looks like The Slaughtering Grounds.
The-Slaughtering-Grounds-Screen.jpg

Other than that, gameplay looks amazing. That's the Gears I wanted, and I'm more hyped than ever. I'm just waiting for the visual tune-ups.

Zeta Oni

To those worried about the knife stuff:

The Studio has introduced a new takedown system that allows players to initiate a series of close-combat melee takedowns. In single player these might become fairly easy to pull off, but The Coalition has worked hard to ensure that, in multiplayer, players on the receiving end of these have several ways to counter the attacks and escape before a knife ends up in their brainpan.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...e-know-about-gears-of-war-4s-multiplayer.aspx

pizzacat

Banned
Whoa whoa whoa did anyone understand what the guy said in that dailymotion video that got put up

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4...multiplayer-ejecuciones-a-cuchillo_videogames

At around 3:30 he says the game will have its aesthetic microtransactions compared it to call of duty's and that the following map packs are free.

Also there's a new mode like execution but if you kill someone from the opposing team, a teammate can come back from the grave

To have private matches with the free maps, the host has to purchase them smhhhhhhh

You know, serious question, what the hell do some of you want in a sequel?
Either it's too similar to the previous entries and doesn't try hard enough to innovate, or it's too unlike the previous entries and "ruins the series."

You either complain about any new feature added, no matter how small or large, or hate how they "refuse to innovate."

You know, serious question, what the hell do some of you want in a sequel?
Either it's too similar to the previous entries and doesn't try hard enough to innovate, or it's too unlike the previous entries and "ruins the series."

You either complain about any new feature added, no matter how small or large, or hate how they "refuse to innovate."

Just a split player base, like any franchise. Some want change, some don't.

SwolBro

Banned
Someone please...why is everything BROWN !?!?? who wears brown pants?? this is bothering me big time.

the whole art direction is just freaking awful. really really awful. why couldn't they go back to the gritty dark look of Gears 1? the game was gorgeous.

Top Bottom