• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First level of Super Mario 64 Remastered in Unity Engine. Play it in your browser!

Marceles

Basically the game works, Mario's move set is there, just a few of the memorable interactions in the stage are missing. Can't shoot out of the cannon, no ball and chain, no green shell to skate on, when you run in a circle around the stakes the coins don't come out etc. It was nice to see the teleporter on the mountain worked.

Took a screenshot on the top of the mountain, if you jump on the spring it jumps you back down to the beginning. At first I thought I was going to take damage from falling from so far lol.

QGxxBeK.png

Red Hood

Banned
This has awakened my cries to Nintendo for a Super Mario 64 HD remake/remaster.

Or better yet, a Wii U sequel to SM64 in the same veins.

They did Mario 64 DS.

They butchered the controls there though. And that's a crucial part to a good platforming game. Super Mario 64 is my second favourite game of all-time, I still regularly play it on the Wii VC and I think (frame-rate and some camera issues aside) it's incredible how well it still controls, but I couldn't force myself to play the DS version for more than 60 minutes.

I really don't get Nintendo at times. Zelda Classic (1999) never got issued with a takedown notice despite being an accurate port of the Zelda 1 engine (I believe it still comes with the NES quests though these days fan made quests are more the emphasis). Yet this inaccurate, very incomplete port of Mario 64 gets a C&D within a week. I guess it is due to getting media coverage. The most consistent coverage Zelda Classic gets these days is let's plays of fan made quests.

Why doesn't anyone make an original game with similar gameplay to the 3D Mario games.

This guy sounds capable. Hopefully he is pursuing a similar, non infringing game at the moment.
There have been successful kickstarters for Banjo-Kazooie/N64 style 3D platformer games in the past 6 months so people are making things and there is interest.

gmilh

Neo Member
I wasn't sure if I could open a new thread, so I will post on this instead.
I previously posted about the VR-port I was making from the files released by Erik, and I'm talking about a proper first person conversion, not another half assed job with broken GUI port that some other guy did (no offense intended to the guy who did it), but since the original remake got a "cease and desist" I stopped as well.

I had already completed my port by the time I took notice of the C&D, so I had this "completed" thing laying on my hard drive for weeks while thinking what to do with it, I cannot share neither the game nor the Unity project of course, but I don't want to pretend that it never existed neither.

Instead I've decided to at least show my modding work to the people of the internet, by posting some screenshots here and my personal playthrough on Youtube.
First as you can see there is a menu where you could start both the normal game and the VR-compatible modded game, then there is the controls menu where you can set... the controls.
It can be accessed from the main menu and from both game modes, there will be some slight changes depending on where you access it from, for example in VR mode you wouldn't be able to set the controls for the camera (since in that mode you control the camera with your head) and the reverse camera axis buttons are only shown while playing in normal mode (not even in the main menu).
The camera has been synced to Mario's head in all animations, so each time you jump, climb, slide or do a flip in mid air you actually get to experience it as Mario would (and sometimes puke), ad if you look behind or directly below you would see that I positioned the camera in such a way that you would never tell that Mario's model is actually headless (as a matter of fact my next step would've been enabling Mario's hat and make it move with the camera, but that ain't gonna happen now...), and it stays that way through almost all animations, since I've tested it over and over again.
So, I guess that's it, this VR port is totally playable like the "normal version" is, you can fight enemies, you can collect coins, you can become golden Mario, just like Erik's release, you can even play an improved version of that one since I implemented the invert axis buttons.
I'm just sorry that I could not share my actual port/mod with you guys, except that in the form of screenshots and a "not-so-good" video playthough.
At least tell me what do you think of the idea of a VR Mario, even because Nintendo is the only one of the major players in the console gaming industry that has yet to announce something regarding either VR or AR... at least in the 21st century.

gmilh

Neo Member
That's pretty sweet. Can you really not release that? No idea how C&Ds work.
Thank you!
For what concerns releasing the game's assets (like Erik did), there's not chance for that.

For what concerns the game in a playable form, I have all the executables on my PC: Windows 32 bit, Windows 64 bit, OSX and Linux, but the moment I release anything I know I would get a C&D aswell, but my main concern would be that by doing this I would get Erik Ross (the guy who did the original remake) in troubles as well, since I'm using his work, he already got a C&D and Nintendo doesn't know that we do not work together.

Another thing is that I've recently got a Note 4, I'll get a Gear VR aswell as soon as my country's Samsung online store restocks them, and since I would only get one shot to release my port on the internet before getting my personal C&D, I may aswell wait till I have both computer and an android* version before releasing anything at all (since if I release the versions I have and get a C&D, releasing anything after would make me receive a lawsuit).

Of course if I'm going to risk a C&D or worse first I have to be sure that enough people want something like it.

*I would only do an Android version because there are lot of ways to use VR on that platform, while I have no idea if VR is even a thing on Windows Phone and I do know that on iPhone there are too many restrictions to make it worthy it (you would have to use a $100 developer account just to install it since I couldn't release it on the AppStore).

Top Bottom