• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Chris Evans as Captain America

Status
Not open for further replies.
btrick said:
lots of steroids probably

or maybe just a guy getting paid millions of dollars to get in that shape, and having all the time and resources in the world to do it? Nah, you're right must be steroids. I heard you can just inject those into your ass and sit on the couch eating Big Mac's and in 6 months you're magically ripped.

Raguel

Ninja Scooter said:
or maybe just a guy getting paid millions of dollars to get in that shape, and having all the time and resources in the world to do it? Nah, you're right must be steroids. I heard you can just inject those into your ass and sit on the couch eating Big Mac's and in 6 months you're magically ripped.
:lol :lol I love how it's always steroids. Hugh Jackman is now ripped! Must be steroids. Ryan Renolds! Must be roids. Chris Evans! Damn those roids. God forbid people (who are paid to do this) get off their fat asses and get in shape. Hell, believe it or not, regular people can get in shape too! It's not hard. But damn though. Evans got huge for Cap. He's always been pretty ripped, but man....it' must be the roids.

I though that actors juiced when they have to pack on the weight or muscles for specific roles, of course under a doctors close watch.

Koodo

Banned
I don't think he used steroids either. Chris Evans has been muscly for quite a while. Believe me, I've paid attention. :lol

Zeliard

I'd like to know what Christian Bale's training regimen is. That guy can balloon up hugely and in a quick amount of time. His physical transition from Machinist ---> Batman Begins was sheer insanity.

Big Baybee said:
I though that actors juiced when they have to pack on the weight or muscles for specific roles, of course under a doctors close watch.

I don't know how it would serve much purpose. It's not like he's body builder big. He's actor big. Which is really pretty normal in terms of size. There are probably a dozen guys that look like Chris Evans at your gym right now and they don't roid. The guy is an actor. He has had nothing to do for weeks leading up to the filming of Captain America but workout and eat right. And he was paid quite well to do just that.

Replicant

Pictures look good. Faith is restored.

And people with steroids comment probably never do workout or weight lifting. If he had taken steroids, he'd look more ripped than that. However, his muscles look lean and has healthy amount of fats in it. So it's likely that he just topped up on his protein shakes and took some creatine to boost his workout. My friend is a rugby player and he looks more or less like Evans. And no, he doesn't take steroids either.

I love that they went with a period piece too instead of trying to modernize it and put Steve Rogers in Afghanistan or something. I don't normally say this but DC should take notes on this from Marvel and do the same thing for Superman.

KevinCow

Banned
His expression =

vkRqx.jpg

Tobor

PhoncipleBone said:
Eh, my faith is ebbing at that. As long as he helped with the structure and NOT the dialogue, I am fine.
Haha, you lose, I win!

"I just got to make some character connections. ... The structure of the thing was really tight and I loved it, but there were a couple of opportunities to find his voice a little bit—and some of the other characters—and make the connections so that you understood exactly why he wanted to be who he wanted to be. And progressing through the script to flesh it out a little bit." He also explained why the experience was so much fun for him: "It's fun in this case, because, A, they'll actually use the things I wrote, which is rare; and, B, it's a fun puzzle to go in and say, 'Okay, this is what works, this is what needs to be connected, and here are some key moments.' Then the third thing is that it takes place in the '40s, so I got to write '40s dialogue, and that's never not fun!"

http://blastr.com/2010/08/joss-whedon-why-rewriting.php

Lucky for me you're wrong, and his dialogue is great!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The people who don't like Whedon's dialogue are like alien species to me. I know you're trying to communicate with me, but I just don't understand you.

Tobor

Ninja Scooter said:
I love that they went with a period piece too instead of trying to modernize it and put Steve Rogers in Afghanistan or something. I don't normally say this but DC should take notes on this from Marvel and do the same thing for Superman.
Indeed. 30's period Superman with John Hamm and I could die a happy man.

Blader

PhoncipleBone said:
Eh, my faith is ebbing at that. As long as he helped with the structure and NOT the dialogue, I am fine.

Whedon just did a pass on it, I don't think it was a heavy rewrite.

"I just got to make some character connections. The structure of the thing was really tight and I loved it, but there were a couple of opportunities to find his voice a little bit — and some of the other characters — and make the connections so that you understood exactly why he wanted to be who he wanted to be. And progressing through the script to flesh it out a little bit"

Tobor said:
Haha, you lose, I win!

http://blastr.com/2010/08/joss-whedon-why-rewriting.php

Lucky for me you're wrong, and his dialogue is great!
Matter of opinion. I like Whedon's characters and story ideas, but his dialogue makes me want to stab my face with an icepick. The only thing he did that his style of dialogue worked exceptionally well in was Dr. Horrible.

But to each their own. I know I am in the minority of the Whedon hate club.

Tobor

WanderingWind said:
This is a fantastic idea. Why has this never been brought up in serious consideration?
Unfortunately, my application to run Warner Bros was not given the consideration I feel it deserved.

Tobor said:
Unfortunately, my application to run Warner Bros was not given the consideration I feel it deserved.
As cool as a period set Superman movie would be, I just dont think the public would really go for it.

PhoncipleBone said:
Matter of opinion. I like Whedon's characters and story ideas, but his dialogue makes me want to stab my face with an icepick. The only thing he did that his style of dialogue worked exceptionally well in was Dr. Horrible.

But to each their own. I know I am in the minority of the Whedon hate club.
Agreed.

It's clever and witty, but it's so artificial. And that drives me nuts.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
BertramCooper said:
Agreed.

I always considered it quite the opposite. In any case, Firefly is one of those things that actually get me all emotional, so I'm not exactly the most objective observer of Whedon's work. Dollhouse was terrible, though.
Tobor said:
Quitter. If at first you don't succeed...
PhoncipleBone said:
As cool as a period set Superman movie would be, I just dont think the public would really go for it.
Americans love period pieces.

Tobor

WanderingWind said:
I always considered it quite the opposite. In any case, Firefly is one of those things that actually get me all emotional, so I'm not exactly the most objective observer of Whedon's work. Dollhouse was terrible, though.

Quitter. If at first you don't succeed...
Don't forget Astonishing X-Men. He absolutely nailed those characters.

Tobor said:
Don't forget Astonishing X-Men. He absolutely nailed those characters.
I will give Whedon credit that his dialogue is better when read and not spoken. But there were many times during Astonishing when the Whedonesque snarkiness and "humor" was a little too heavy handed. I enjoyed his run, but when he pushed too far it took me out of it.

BertramCooper said:
Exactly. It is trying to call attention to itself, and that is what drives me nuts.

Ninja Scooter said:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?
Touche. Of course, if it was not Indiana Jones...

You could say things like 300, but that is so stylized. I just dont know if audiences would really latch onto a period piece superhero movie, or at least one that is using a character with an already established film history.
Cap might work because it is the first Cap movie. But going back to a period movie for Superman or Batman would open up a lot of really cool ideas for the story and style, I just dont know if people will readily accept it.

I think X-Men First Class will be our first real taste to see if people latch onto an established franchise going to a period movie.

Tobor said:
The second highest grossing movie of all time is a period piece.
I obviously didn't think too far back when I thought period movie. For some reason the thing that popped into my mind was stuff like "Elizabeth" or "Pride and Prejudice." Brain not functioning.

Blader5489 said:
Shutter Island was not a blockbuster.

DiCaprio. Scorcese. And it grossed almost $300 million worldwide on an $80 million budget. Seemed well received by all accounts too. It's just a subjective word anyway, but that fits my definition.

Viewt

Gary Whitta said:
Magazine scans are cool in the OT?
I thought that was if it was like a full-spread, text and all? I'll remove 'em if they're a no-go, but I figured since they'd be all over the web anyway, there wasn't any harm in it.

btrick

Ninja Scooter said:
:lol ok u got me wrong to assume so.

Meteorain

Captain%20Evansposter.jpg

Damn! He looks ready to wreck some shit!

God I hope this movie comes out good. Cap A is up there as one of my more liked comic book characters.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
f0rk said:
He knew it was about to happen though didn't he? I vaguely remember him pushing a guard out the way or something

Anyway the point of a Super Soldier serum is it's a mental training thing as well so he knows all the angles.

I think he picked up on one of them.

BertramCooper said:
Agreed.

Yup. It pretty much smacks you in the face by saying, "Hey! Hey! Didn't expect that, did you? Because...most of the time it goes the other way and you were expecting that. But it didn't happen that way! Ha!"

It happens a lot in scripts he's worked on and in shows like Firefly. I love Firefly, but there are moments in his writing that I wish I could just smack him with a pipe. Subtlety works too you fatty!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
segarr said:
Geekery on Captain America's Shield

There are different versions but usually the thing is vibranium and steel; nearly indestructible.

Thats cool. In real life caps shield went disc shaped because another patriotic super hero was already out months before him and had that same type of shield. Kirby/Simon and i believe it was then Atlas comics got a cease and desist order because the two were so close in design. Hence we got the disc shield that worked to caps benefit.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
WanderingWind said:
This is a fantastic idea. Why has this never been brought up in serious consideration?

After Returns, the last thing WB want is a heavily stylized Superman film. It could be awesome as FUCK but no way they are willing to ever take that chance.

Solo

I hope Sculli and everyone else hyped for this understand that its being directed by Joe Johnston and written by Joss Whedon. No amount of half decent looking production stills can gloss over that fact. This will suck, even worse than Thor, which at least has Portman and Branaugh going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom