• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Mark Wahlberg as Victor "Goddamn" Sullivan

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Remember when we thought Mark would be Drake..
EJSBk3EVUAAzeBv.jpg

"Oh no" we said...now we got Tom Holland as Drake and Mark as Sully 😂

FunkMiller

Maybe I should replay them someday, because right now I don't remember such three dimensionality. (Played them ages ago)

But really, I'm not saying this as a critique (I enjoyed the games, specially 2 and 4), it's just that I would like to know what makes them specially well written compared to other characters from games like, I dunno, God of War or RDR2.

They do what they set out to do extremely well. No, none of them qualify as high art, but the plot for all four games is pretty decent, hangs together well, and allows for a fair degree of character growth and conflict.

The plot of four is the most sophisticated and multifaceted. It tackles themes such as aging, regret, and obsession.

They really are all very well written for action adventure serial stories.

Absolutely terrible casting choice, I cannot stand this racist clown. Is Sully gonna have a dumb Boston accent now? This movie is going to be a heap of shit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Reminder...

We're going to get Uncharted 12 on PS5 FFS. Having to experience the promotional build up for both this movie as well as Uncharted 19, simultaneously, is going to cause the suicides of a lot of decent people.

If Uncharted exposure is causing you to consider self harm in any way, please contact a mental health professional immediately.

Last edited:
Sony Pictures doing what Sony Pictures does, trash decisions as always, this movie has been in development hell forever i feel like, so no wonder

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Late 80s, I believe. Back when he was a Boston gangstah.
Just read up about it, apparently his first criminal record was when he was 15, ironic considering his type of music background after that..
Sounds like he was a right hoodlum when he was younger.

Joe T.

I can see him looking fairly close to Sully with a little makeup magic, but his voice and body are still all wrong. It's not like he's the most versatile actor in Hollywood either, so I just don't see how they ever thought this could work.

Serious question: Why is Hollywood more obsessed with youth than game devs are?

Its really weird if you think about it.
Is it?

Actors age in real life, so it makes most sense to start as young as possible so they can sustain franchises. Tom Holland can do that for a 30-ish Nathan Drake: Nathan Fillion can’t.

Same with Wahlberg. There aren’t too many 50 year old actors in good enough shape to pull off what Sully does In-game.

Much less of an issue in video games. Prequels are pretty much always an option.

Last edited:

Shmunter

? You think Holland is more appealing to women than say... Chris Evans or Ryan Reynolds... or any one of a number of older, better suited male actors? I don’t see Holland appealing to the male audience, either. Not in an Indiana Jones type role like this one.

I honestly think Sony only greenlit this as a vehicle for Holland, because they don’t get Uncharted’s actual appeal - which is, again, modern Indy.
Yeah I don’t get it. They making a movie aimed squarely at young teens here. That’s not the game

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
The only choice. ITV's late boxing commentator Reg Gutteridge.

41XMTPCK91L._AC_UL474_SR474,450_.jpg

J____Av

I'm assuming this movie is going to be a shit sandwich. So far they have two short low-effort cosplay variations in the two most important roles. Wahlberg can't act unless the role is "be Marc Wahlberg" and I can't see Tom Holland pulling off Nathan Drake, he's one of those actors that will end up playing "younger" characters his entire career. He literally puffs out his cheeks to do his "serious" look.

As I'm already expecting the worst, I really hope this is as awful as humanly possible so that it's worth watching when it hits streaming services in 6 months for that reason alone. I like watching shit movies when I can't sleep.

Don't take this the wrong way. But you seem like you hate your life and are really depressed. You should get some help

kiphalfton

Women are 58% of theater attendees, and casting Tom Holland is definitely to appeal to them. The trick is to cast for women, but not entirely alienate men.

And I'm sure the movie will have some stupid love interest shoehorned in for that very reason as well.

Guys don't care about the romantic relationships between characters, unless the chick is hot as hell.

Serious question: Why is Hollywood more obsessed with youth than game devs are?

Its really weird if you think about it.

Seems that way. I noticed that as well, especially with horror movies that almost always have the obligatory high school to very young college students in the starring roles.

Its always like this, they shove actors that are currently popular versus finding a good actor and physical resemblance. Mark is a stubby midget and thats why he looked like crap even as Max Payne.

Bryan cranston is a better choice, well i hope the movie is good (probably not)

I never even considered this but just looking at that photo, not only is their a resemblance and age appropriate, but even his voice has this raspy older experienced duded sound. Mark will always sound like a Boston jock.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i can't stand that guy. usually if i see he is in a movie i won't bother with it. but he looks the part here. still won't watch it though.

Top Bottom