• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Paul Giamatti as THE RHINO in Amazing Spider-Man 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
gWpyyxj.png

Oh man, has anyone claimed this yet? Because I want dibs LOL

I really didn't think Marc Webb was going to be so campy with this films.

Rewatch ASM, pay close attention and you'll see lots of campiness that doesn't suit it (and makes it a tonal mess many times). The music in some of those scenes is particularly cringe worthy (specially for something trying to appear serious and dark).

Spiderman is not a superhero that lends itself to too much seriousness (just look at the villains), that's why Raimi's 1&2 work (besides other things), even if they aren't faithful enough to the source material.

kunonabi

Rewatch ASM, pay close attention and you'll see lots of campiness that doesn't suit it (and makes it a tonal mess many times). The music in some of those scenes is particularly cringe worthy (specially for something trying to appear serious and dark).

Spiderman is not a superhero that lends itself to too much seriousness (just look at the villains), that's why Raimi's 1&2 work (besides other things), even if they aren't faithful enough to the source material.

a lot of spider man stuff is somewhat dark especially once you get past the early years. i still remember being chilled by the osborn family dinner from spectacular spider-man or the lizards son grabbing a knife and going after him. i've never read any spider-man comic that has been consistently hammy as the stuff raimi put out. it's even more irritating that so much of it happens when he's not even spider-man.

a lot of spider man stuff is somewhat dark especially once you get past the early years. i still remember being chilled by the osborn family dinner from spectacular spider-man or the lizards son grabbing a knife and going after him. i've never read any spider-man comic that has been consistently hammy as the stuff raimi put out. it's even more irritating that so much of it happens when he's not even spider-man.

The comic book world allows for more suspension of disbelieve, so the dark stuff can blend in more easily. It doesn't work the same way when you transfer all that into a film, and when they try to make it all dark it can easily end up looking very silly. Even TDK & TDKR (which were more tonally balanced) suffer from this. I feel people sometimes complain about Raimi's movies deviating from the comic, but it's not like there are comic book movies 100% loyal to them.

I went from not really giving one tenth of a shit about this to REALLY wanting to see it. Just to see how horrific the train wreck really is with it.

I would honestly pay full ticket price if they released this movie without any CG. Harnesses on Spider-Man swinging, Giammati doing his thing... oddly enough Jamie Foxx has so much makeup on he'd probably look fine.

firen

Why are all these pictures getting 'leaked'?!?! I'm sure many movies look this crap during filming...right guys?! I really hope it's good though. Spidey being my favorite superhero I will be sorely disappointed if it doesn't improve from the first movie. Can we expect a Raimi Spider-Man 2 level of improvement?

Honestly, with every new bit of info that comes out about this movie, the worse it sounds and looks.

I really don't understand why it's proving so hard to film a sequel to a thoroughly average, yet enjoyable ASM1. It's not like the bar has been set particularly high and the story essentially writes itself with Gwen, GG, etc.

Mario007

Why are all these pictures getting 'leaked'?!?! I'm sure many movies look this crap during filming...right guys?! I really hope it's good though. Spidey being my favorite superhero I will be sorely disappointed if it doesn't improve from the first movie. Can we expect a Raimi Spider-Man 2 level of improvement?
Mark Webb decided to post pictures on his Twitter to 'build hype' since the shooting started.

kunonabi

The comic book world allows for more suspension of disbelieve, so the dark stuff can blend in more easily. It doesn't work the same way when you transfer all that into a film, and when they try to make it all dark it can easily end up looking very silly. Even TDK & TDKR (which were more tonally balanced) suffer from this. I feel people sometimes complain about Raimi's movies deviating from the comic, but it's not like there are comic book movies 100% loyal to them.

i'm not saying that dark is necessarily the way to go for the films but addressing your claim that he doesn't fit the occasional grim storyline. i just think there is room to balance it better than raimi did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom