• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Kutaragi was the one who decided to use the Spider-Man font for the PS3

Ugly font that would be better suited for a men's deodorant brand. The original console was also ugly af and the lowest point in PlayStation's history. No wonder Kutaragi was fired and they fixed most of his mistakes.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Never knew Sony gave away a Bond movie with PS3!!! As a Bond Fan and a PS3 owner I wonder how this escaped me!!!
They actually gave it away with the PS3 later and some store's did a bundle
But I think mine was this situation and I think you could sign up before the PS3 released 🤔
fhyih0q.jpg

Last edited:

Puskas

I’m honored to share birth day with Krazy Ken. Cell processor, work more to be able to afford the PS3 and now this. Absolute legend.

aclar00

Man, OG 60GB PS3 was the greatest, especially before the advent of digital music and video. It did everything and i loved it for that.

I ripped CDs to it, used the memory card reader for Photos and videos, watched Blu-rays, had it connected wirelessly to my computer HDD to access photos, videos and more....and the Web Browser. Shit, it was closer to a computer than any console today, yet still maintained that console feel.

Only thing i didnt use was the Linux OS.

WitchHunter

Banned
Ugly font that would be better suited for a men's deodorant brand. The original console was also ugly af and the lowest point in PlayStation's history. No wonder Kutaragi was fired and they fixed most of his mistakes.
They fired him because he slapped his stomach and said to the IBM engineers: put 8 cores in that cell cpu... because he liked that number : DDD.

I only saw that font when I bought the console, and put it behind the monitor then a few years later when I replaced it with the PS4.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Man, OG 60GB PS3 was the greatest, especially before the advent of digital music and video. It did everything and i loved it for that.

I ripped CDs to it, used the memory card reader for Photos and videos, watched Blu-rays, had it connected wirelessly to my computer HDD to access photos, videos and more....and the Web Browser. Shit, it was closer to a computer than any console today, yet still maintained that console feel.

Only thing i didnt use was the Linux OS.
It definitely felt that it was a near perfect multi-media machine . The blockbuster games came abit later, but I still find some enjoyment from some of the launch games .

Kamina

Golden Boy
It’s an ok font I guess.
But they should have gone with the abbreviation PS3 on the console, like with the Phat PS2 and the same font.

Shin-Ra

Not sure that’s the full story, there was also a Sony Pictures Imageworks collab for the Alfred Molina 3D model demo.

I’m no ‘font historian’ but the earliest example of the typeface in use seems to be 1979

1995/96 The Smashing Pumpkins single ‘1979’ (dated vinyl – HUT records/Virgin)

2001 The original Xbox logotype is sort of an inverted (or ‘exhale’) version of ‘1979’ with curved vertical strokes and straight horizontals
2002 The Spider-Man movie
2005 The silver PLAYSTATION 3 reveal

They’re all subtly and not so subtly different though.

Shin-Ra

There’s a direct comparison here: https://fontsinuse.com/uses/46982/playstation-3-logo-2006-2009

According to Sony's Teyū Gōto, "If you really look at the PS3 contour carefully, it is rounded when viewing the console in profile. Rather than creating a typography with all the risks that entails, it was wiser to use the one from Spider-Man, for which Sony has the rights."

Both the Mellon Collie album art and the “1979” single were designed by Frank Olinsky. When Olinsky asked band leader Billy Corgan why he had chosen him, “he said he owned quite a few CDs that I had art directed/designed and he liked that I didn’t have one style that I imposed on all my projects. Rather, he felt that each was a good design that fit the particular recording.” [2009 interview] These releases are a case in point.
Search for Frank Olinsky for more on his graphic design. The rabbit hole goes deeeep.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Nothing wrong with it other then being the Spider Man Font.
people act like other things don't use other fonts
p8ACS6V.png

Although it stand out more when they was giving Spider Man 3 on Blu-ray away with it 😂
I’m just now realizing it’s all caps except the last letter. From now on we need to call it PLAYSTATIOn 3

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I’m just now realizing it’s all caps except the last letter. From now on we need to call it PLAYSTATIOn 3
Other than size there's nothing to differentiate them with that Font
JXPJt4y.png
6N7troM.png
QdY1HlJ.png

Last edited:

BlackTron

I hated that font that's why I didn't get a PS3 well that and I've always been a Sega fanboy. I can never own a Sony console. I'd give up gaming before owning a Sony

Reasons I didn't buy PS3:

I would rather give up gaming first than buy Sony
The font

Is that all? Sure you didn't have a problem with the texture on the plastic or anything?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Reasons I didn't buy PS3:

I would rather give up gaming first than buy Sony
The font

Is that all? Sure you didn't have a problem with the texture on the plastic or anything?
Now that you mention. I hated the shape of it. Seriously what in the George Foreman grill hell was that?

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I hated the font (for S-M it works tho) and I hated the look of the console doubly so. But I bought it and enjoyed it (it did however sound like a jet at full throttle..).

blakdecaf

Looked slick as hell on the OG PS3 with that specific design, and when typed out as ‘PLAYSTATION 3’, but worked poorly when written as just ‘PS3’. Also way too small for advertising on billboards and screens.

What they have now is better generally.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO
Looking back at the PS3, I remember getting mine and thinking it felt so far ahead of it's time but nothing on it was really worth playing in the first few years and my focused switched almost to using it only as a blu-ray player and the occasional "exclusive" machine instead of my intended "main console". Still, I did play the shit out of that Motorstorm demo on it. That game was bad ass at launch.

Last edited:

Nvzman

I miss the PS3 era so much, Sony pumped out so many awesome exclusives from 2008-2013 that had so much variety. I used to play the shit out of LittleBigPlanet 2 and Uncharted 3's MP. Since PS4 I think library has gotten a lot more sparse and boring, at least imo.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Still got the font from a backup folder of a laptop I had 15yrs back. Comes under "Homoarakhn"; not sure if that was official or some knock-off I found on dafont.

Even though it was peculiar and polarising I think it kinda worked out and became iconic. The only part I'd consider particularly ropey was the bit on the game case spine that looked something like this:

PS-SPINE.jpg

The updated rebrand of the "PS3" logo was better, but I always thought the "3" in it looked kinda off-kilter. The "PS4" rehash of it looked really cool though. As for the "PS5" one, it's ok but I would've liked a bit more of an evolution. I do find it still looks a bit off, the spacing and alignment on multiple parts looks just a little rough. The transitions from thick to thin are quite jarring and the "PS" -- particularly the "P" -- despite being straight have the slight illusion of leaning off to the left a bit. It gets even worse when scaled down and the pixels aren't mapping cleanly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom