• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First-look at the back of Japanese Switch cases

I distinctly remember the Dracula X Chronicles having a particularly stunning inside art but I can't find an actual photo of it, just a scan.

Since i happen to have it out :)
Mrgjsyul.jpg

Aleh

These must be my favorite cases ever. I love everything about their design, transparent plastic and interior art are great

Cerium

In retrospect, I have to wonder if the sort of translucent PSP cases were not actually intended for interior art and that just became a thing that some innovative publishers decided to do. I think if it was meant to be that way Sony would've made them more transparent, like the Switch.

If I recall correctly not even all of Sony's first party games had interior art.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah second that I'm loving the inside art.
I'm okay with them being small too, because I have way too much shit in my closets anyway, at least this takes up less space.

MADGAME

For some reason I find it funny how they distinguish crime from violence.
Seems like a clear distinction to me. A fighting game for example could be considered violence, but not crime.

Stealing something in a game would be considered a crime, but not violence

Meesh

I like these cases because they remind me in some way of the instruction manuals of yesterday. Just in that opening up those transparent cases you can see game info, screens and maybe art. Pretty cool design...

-shadow-

In retrospect, I have to wonder if the sort of translucent PSP cases were not actually intended for interior art and that just became a thing that some innovative publishers decided to do. I think if it was meant to be that way Sony would've made them more transparent, like the Switch.

If I recall correctly not even all of Sony's first party games had interior art.
I remember the European DS cases using the transparency for Club Nintendo information. Not really anything amazing, but the idea was there for a while until it all went plain white.

Begbie

Can anyone who reads Japanese confirm what it says on the back of the Bomberman case where it indicates number of players? It says :
'1 ~ 8 *1 *2'

Whoa whoa wait a minute here:

So you can play 1-8 players in TV Mode, and 1-8 players in Tabletop Mode, but only 1 player in Handheld Mode? What the hell? You can't play wirelessly against someone else with a Switch sitting right next to you, or online multiplayer? Why on earth!?

Whoa whoa wait a minute here:

So you can play 1-8 players in TV Mode, and 1-8 players in Tabletop Mode, but only 1 player in Handheld Mode? What the hell? You can't play wirelessly against someone else with a Switch sitting right next to you, or online multiplayer? Why on earth!?

Perhaps that means players per switch system? I thought online play was confirmed so I'd assume it'd be mentioned in the wall of japanese text rather than the handy icons, maybe multi switch play would too be mentioned in the text?
Have we got anyone that can translate it?

Perhaps that means players per switch system? I thought online play was confirmed so I'd assume it'd be mentioned in the wall of japanese text rather than the handy icons, maybe multi switch play would too be mentioned in the text?
Have we got anyone that can translate it?

That would make MUCH more sense, you're right. There must me some Japanese text that explains it, especially if online is confirmed.

I just can't imagine a game like Bomberman not taking advantage of every means of multiplayer possible. It's not like it's graphically pushing the system. I'd even expect a "one cart for multiple systems" multiplayer option like some DS and 3DS games had but I don't even know if the Switch can do that, can it?

alf717

This is great news! I hope those same cases are used in the US as those eco cases need to go away forever. Thanks for all the pics. Just have to hope NOA does screw them up here in the US.

CamHostage

Bomberman%20BOXBACK.jpg

I can't read *1 and *2 unfortunately. There's something about people (players) in the fine print.

The official US specs call for "Battle mode for maximum of 8 players, local connection battles, and online battles", but I'm not sure if it has ad-hoc local wireless play. (I've not heard anything about Switch doing that, but it must, right?)

Typical for Nintendo to have multiplayer breakdowns for everything but online, of course, although even Xbox and PS boxes barely focus on the box-features anymore.

(EDIT - Thanks Kansoku for a translation!)

TAS

Amazing cases! I love how the cartridge holder is at the bottom so it doesn't break up the artwork. I assume this will be the same for the NA ones too right?

a916

I'm selfish, but I really wished they all were standard blu-ray sizes.

Nintendo could've used red ones! (Though with a tiny catridge that plastic would be a lot of money)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I love it. I like the size of the cases, I like the red spine, and I love the artwork.

It just looks like you're buying FUN.

Bomberman%20BOXBACK.jpg

I can't read *1 and *2 unfortunately. There's something about people (players) in the fine print.

The official US specs call for "Battle mode for maximum of 8 players, local connection battles, and online battles", but I'm not sure if it has ad-hoc local wireless play. (I've not heard anything about Switch doing that, but it must, right?)

Typical for Nintendo to have multiplayer breakdowns for everything but online, of course, although even Xbox and PS boxes barely focus on the box-features anymore.

Ah, thanks! Yeah Switch has to do ad-hoc wireless cause that's how they showed the NBA game and Splatoon being played in the reveal trailer, two Switches set up in Tabletop Mode playing multiplayer. Bomberman has to be able to do it as well, I'd hope.

Kansoku

Bomberman%20BOXBACK.jpg

I believe it's

*1 プレイヤー1人につき、コントローラー1個が必要です。3人以上で遊ぶ場合、人数分のコントローラーをご用意ください。
A controller is required for each player. For 3 or more players, please provide a controller for everyone.

*2 本体の接続数は最大4台までとなります。
You can connect up to 4 units to the main one.

roytheone

I'm hoping we'll eventually get dedicated TV mode games that aren't gimped by lower portable mode specs. Overwatch maybe?

Hopefully not. That would go against the whole core selling point of the system and leave only a redicilously overpriced console that is still extremely underpowered. The mobile aspect is the thing that makes that acceptable, remove that and the value proposition becomes even worse.

I believe it's

*1 プレイヤー1人につき、コントローラー1個が必要です。3人以上で遊ぶ場合、人数分のコントローラーをご用意ください。
A controller is required for each player. For 3 or more players, please provide a controller for everyone.

*2 本体の接続数は最大4台までとなります。
You can connect up to 4 units to the main one.

Thank you! So does that insinuate that 4 switches can connect in Tabletop Mode? If they each have 2 controllers that's 8 players across 4 Switches.

There must also be a way to play 1v1 with two Switches if that's the case. I wish this game had Single Pack Multiplayer cause I doubt my girlfriend will want to buy her own copy but I assume 9 times outta 10 we'd be playing on our TV in the living room anyway.

RocknRola

I really, really, really dislike the square logo. Otherwise they look nice! They're nice and small, which is cool. Wonder how they compare to Vita game cases... Probably similar length but a bit taller, no?

Like the use of symbols to quickly and clearly identify number of players per game mode and said game modes too.

Oresama

Hopefully not. That would go against the whole core selling point of the system and leave only a redicilously overpriced console that is still extremely underpowered. The mobile aspect is the thing that makes that acceptable, remove that and the value proposition becomes even worse.

If the only way to get a particular game ported required the full power of the system in docked mode I would wrather have the option than not, wouldn't you?

Options are good.

ika

So Nintendo will use this translucent cases to show art and such inside similar to 3DS cases with those holes... It's cool but I was expecting Zelda BotW in Europe to have a reversible cover (I love the Japanese/US cover more than the EU one) so a bit sad now... :p

TheMoon

So Nintendo will use this translucent cases to show art and such inside similar to 3DS cases with those holes... It's cool but I was expecting Zelda BotW in Europe to have a reversible cover (I love the Japanese/US cover more than the EU one) so a bit sad now... :p

Why would you expect reversible covers in Europe when Nintendo has a history of not doing those even for Collector's Editions where they would be desperately needed due to all the shitty ratings logos.

Also, how does one thing exclude the other? Again, these are promotional boxes.

Top Bottom