• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look: Box art for upcoming PS5 games

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So they're really going all in with this whole "black and white" thing, huh?

bosnianpie

I've always liked the combination of blue and white so I think it looks good. Not really necessary to make some radical changes to the design.

FranXico

Would look better with clear cases:

zcd7g0X.jpg
Sony is just being cheap as usual. Easier to just keep using those blue boxes they already stocked.

For the PS4, I never liked how the top banner bled into the upper portion of the spine. With this new design, the white background on the banner & spine, along with the black text, look like placeholder images for missing artwork; at minimum, adding some slight texture to the white background would make things appear more like a conscious decision, instead of a printing mistake.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Imagine not caring so much that you clicked on a thread called "Box art for upcoming PS5 games"
Yes I did. To see it. Then being like it looks ok. End of.
Seeing some of the responses here is embarrassing.

Codes 208

I dislike it... Seems to cheap.

I wish it could be like ps3 games case
In what way? The later end of the ps3 gen was when they started focusing on the blue boxes after they changed from that stupidass spiderman font to the ps3 moniker.

edit: actually I think the ps3 cases werestill black, I’m thinking of the vita cases

Last edited:

Manus

The white makes it look like someone made a cover on a printer and put it in the case.

Don't like.

Codes 208

n/m

agree overall, it looks pretty basic. Tbf MS isn’t doing much different between the XBO and XSX boxes (all they did was change the title on top from xbox one to xbox) but atleast the color is unique for Blu-ray cases.

Last edited:
Looks nice (would look nicer with the black border instead of blue border as R6Rider R6Rider did above). Reminds me a bit of how I use foobar2000, the hard black and white contrast is very boss.

Pallas

Looks ok I guess, not really a fan Of the white, but I guess they need to match their router(console) theme. Honestly kind of wish games still used the jewel cases of the older days.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Kind of funny seeing the black and white banner. Reminds me of the PS2 days. I'm not huge on the design but certainly don't have anything against it. The second gen PS3 cases remain my favorite PlayStation cases.

At this point I am all digital so the appearance of the case doesn't mean as much to me as it did back in 2005 when I was lining my shelves with games. I will say I do find the uniform red spine of Switch games pretty neat.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I like it but it could be pink, purple, yellow for all I care.

Buying discs in 2020 is hilarious. In fact I haven't put a disc in my PS4 since 2014. If I get a PS5 it'll be the all digital model. Hope Xbox has an all digital Series X.

Hudo

I mean, why not have a black or white box as well? Looks half-assed to still use the blue box if the branding is black and white.

Breakage

The more I look at it, the more I think they should have gone with an opaque white or black case. Sony said the two-tone colour scheme of the PS5's hardware was done to indicate a clear break from the past, yet that hasn't translated to the game cases. Keeping the exact opaque blue cases says last-gen PS4. The blue just doesn't mesh well with the white band.

ZywyPL

Banned
So they're going all-in with that white-blue theme, shame. Black cover/box is the only proper way,

R6Rider

Gold Member
the key art yes the cover no

hFYbhth.jpg

I think with the PS5 logo on the right or the "Only on Playstation" on the right it would help balance out the white space". The problem with cases like this (and other possible cases) it will be a mess of colors contrasting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
the key art yes the cover no
Well of course there no way they would put actual good looking box art! The official box cover art is either going to be close shot of her face or just standing there with weapon in hand (COD style).

Is it such bad idea to have interesting cover art like this for AAA games?
3max.jpg

Last edited:
Black Cases Matter! It also match with PS5 colors, blue doesn't make any sense except they try to recycle the old PS4 cases.
The PS4 isnt blue. Cases were still blue, PS5 has blue light accents. Bluray. Xbox Green, Nintendo Red. Im blue. de DA do da DE.

93xfan

Banned
It needs to have a warped front and back, that goes beyond the top of the blue plastic case. Maybe they could lengthen the paper insert?

Top Bottom