• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Nintendo Switch cartridge dumps (ROMs) released

Guymelef

I asked this one that icons Smash mod and ill ask it here as well.

The people behind this are obviously incredibly talented. Why don't they put their knowledge and energy to good use and do/make something themselves AND make money from it?

Hackers want to know how the things work and go beyond.
Money isn't always enough to make them to look away.

BigEmil

You could just get an Nvidia Shield Tablet and get all those emulator capabilities unlocked from the start...

Not as intituitive as emulating on your Switch with dedicated controls etc and all in one with your native Switch games on one handheld to carry around and play on the go

jdmonmou

This blows that whole theory some were peddling earlier about Nintendo not including a web browser on the Switch to stop piracy.

zelas

Does this mean save data can been dumped (and backed up) now or is that coming later?

Edit- Answer is in OP nvm

JoeM86

Forget about all the other stuff, but I HATE CHEATING in console games... Some people would eventually pirate stuff I get it we have no way to prevent that %100 but cheating effects the whole community in multiplayer games... Fuck this.

Pokémon is a prime example of this.

Even ignoring VGC, you just have to look at the 6 months following XY and compare with Sun & Moon

XY had lots of trading, lots of people sharing friend codes for Friend Safaris and hoping to get top IV Pokémon through natural methods because the 3DS hadn't been cracked yet. This continued for months, even though opening transfer 4 months later killed it a bit due to hacks from Gen V making it easier to breed Pokémon with amazing IVs.

Compare with Sun & Moon. A lot fewer bother to trade. GTS is filled with hacks. People just hack in the stuff they want. The hacking has impacted how the game is played and it is sad.

Then we get into the whole VGC situation, which is a mess. People try to justify cheating and hacking into games to get their desired results, and TPCi's hack check sucks.

I'm actually a bit pissed off that Switch will be broken into by the time Pokémon makes it.

lyrick

Well they're obviously not White Hats.

They could use their knowledge to help the console manufacture actually secure these things, or they can archive the shit away like a timebomb just waiting to fuck up online gaming communities.

RRockman

Banned
I asked this one that icons Smash mod and ill ask it here as well.

The people behind this are obviously incredibly talented. Why don't they put their knowledge and energy to good use and do/make something themselves AND make money from it?

Nintendo was paying hackers to find exploits...

Maxinas

Pokémon is a prime example of this.

Even ignoring VGC, you just have to look at the 6 months following XY and compare with Sun & Moon

XY had lots of trading, lots of people sharing friend codes for Friend Safaris and hoping to get top IV Pokémon through natural methods because the 3DS hadn't been cracked yet. This continued for months, even though opening transfer 4 months later killed it a bit due to hacks from Gen V making it easier to breed Pokémon with amazing IVs.

Compare with Sun & Moon. A lot fewer bother to trade. GTS is filled with hacks. People just hack in the stuff they want. The hacking has impacted how the game is played and it is sad.

I'm actually a bit pissed off that Switch will be broken into by the time Pokémon makes it.

The fact that GTS is nearly the same bullshit it was when it first released with Diamond/Pearl back in 2006, is even more baffling. No i will not trade you a level 1 Arceus for a shiny metapod for fucks sake.

Vena

I suspect a new firmware update sooner than later now.

ROM dumps like this happen pretty quick in general, hell PS4 was kernel exploited years ago. This shit happens fast on modern hardware. But this all, seemingly, mostly userland access and a lot of private dark work which may or may not ever get public release.

The cat and mouse game between PS4/X1 and now Switch and this is never ending.

Atheerios

I suspect a new firmware update sooner than later now.
The entrypoint used is a webkit (browser) exploit which was found on version 2.0.

Nintendo patched it on 3.0, but another one was quickly found.

Webkit is full of potential exploits, that's why Nintendo doesn't want to have the browser easily accessible for users.

Keinning

Poor nintendo

When they finally manage to take out roms for their older systems from the internet, the switch gets cracked

Sulik2

Meanwhile the PS4 and Xbone have not been touched in 3.5 years. Nintendo's engineers failing again. I would not be surprised if we get modded Switch's within the first year based on how far they have come already.

Vena

The entrypoint used is a webkit (browser) exploit which was found on version 2.0.

Webkit is full of potential exploits, that's why Nintendo doesn't want to have the browser easily accessible for users.

Same entrypoint as the PS4 early on, but most of this is still userland access. The private groups have the deeper access but that's almost always perpetually private.

Meanwhile the PS4 and Xbone have not been touched in 3.5 years. Nintendo's engineers failing again. I would not be surprised if we get modded Switch's within the first year based on how far they have come already.

The hell are you talking about? PS4 was cracked years ago to the point where you can clone games/libraries and entire systems in their entirety.

True Fire

Hackers will be able to get into Webkit regardless. It's not like teens who want to go on Facebook and YouTube are going to be hacking this thing.

Blam

tenor.gif

Yup once I swap all those switch botw models for cemu i'll be all good.

Platy

This is more the first step to Switch emulation (and preservation) but I welcome homebrew with open arms ;D

-shadow-

I't's actually really interested that this is going as fast as it goes. I understand that the OS is based on that of the 3DS, but still really surprising in under half a year. Can't wait to see extra/unused content end up on tcrf, I browse that site rather often because that stuff is absolutely facinating! Only downside are the possible cheats, Splatoon is isn't even out but having potential cheats this early in the Switch's life absolutely blows.

Is there some reason why Nintendo won't let us backup saves?

The Wii was blown open through save files, and because you could back them up manually on PC and edit them there was no stopping people once this was discovered.

On one hand homebrew brings some pretty awesome possibilities to the system, on the other, I wish they had waited just a little longer as most people that use it obviously use it for piracy and cheating, cheating being my biggest concern as that could actually impact online play, especially in stuff like pokemon, hopefully Nintendo has a way of detecting those people.

When you hear someone refer to ROMs, you assume the source is a solid-state device, but of course game CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays are technically ROMs as well. However, the standard name for disc images is usually ISOs, even when the format isn't technically an ISO. I just find this language interesting for some reason. They could all be referred to as ROMs, really.

Is there some reason why Nintendo won't let us backup saves?

I'm guessing the online storage solution isn't ready yet, and letting us back them up to an SD card is exposing a potential weakness, since many system hacks involve hacked save games.

However, if Nintendo refuses to give us an option to back up saves, we won't have any alternative.

Yea, I'm sure a judge will give you the A-OK on that philosophy.

Your alternative is to not buy a Switch in the first place.

Deku Tree

I'm guessing the online storage solution isn't ready yet, and letting us back them up to an SD card is exposing a potential weakness, since many hacks involve hacked save games.

So backing up my save will require an Nintendo Online subscription?

Sony lets you back up your PS4 saves to USB drive, and they haven't been hacked like Nintendo.

Mr Swine

Banned
Ugh, i was hoping this would take a few years so that piracy doesn't become rampant on Switch. And why in he world are Nintendo using a modified 3DS Os for Switch? Why not start from scratch?

rrs

Ugh, i was hoping this would take a few years so that piracy doesn't become rampant on Switch. And why in he world are Nintendo using a modified 3DS Os for Switch? Why not start from scratch?
that costs money and time Nintendo didn't want to spend on a hail mary pass of a console

fetus8

On one hand homebrew brings some pretty awesome possibilities to the system, on the other, I wish they had waited just a little longer as most people that use it obviously use it for piracy and cheating, cheating being my biggest concern as that could actually impact online play, especially in stuff like pokemon, hopefully Nintendo has a way of detecting those people.

As of right now, from what I can tell, they aren't capable of running custom ROMs or even loading game dumps from memory on the Switch itself.

I think this kind of over reaction to a userland exploit is a little problematic. This early in the Switch's life, nothing other than cheating is possible, and the amount of people capable of running cheats right now is probably in the single digits as none of this stuff has been released, to my knowledge...

Vena

As of right now, from what I can tell, they aren't capable of running custom ROMs or even loading game dumps from memory on the Switch itself.

I think this kind of over reaction to a userland exploit is a little problematic. This early in the Switch's life, nothing other than cheating is possible, and the amount of people capable of running cheats right now is probably in the single digits as none of this stuff has been released, to my knowledge...

Yes this an overblown reaction, and yes this is largely if not entirely private

Ninja Dom

What are you talking about? An opportunity for you to troll Nintendo?

Top Bottom