• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for the Emoji Movie (take a wild guess!!!!!!)

snap

Banned
Ugh.

From the AV Club review. I know Sony's notorious for using its movies to shill products but fuck right off.

I can't tell if they're taking shots at the blobs or the new Android O bleh-moji.

If it's the former I will not stand for this injustice.

FiggyCal

Banned
The animation quality looks closer to Sausage Party and that cost 19 million

Apparently a bunch of people who worked on that film were underpaid, or were forced to work overtime with no pay.

And I edited the post from the last page so you may have missed it, but a movie like Boss Baby cost 125 million; Despicable me 3 cost 80 mil.

Jesus okay fine no Suasage Party comparison lol.

It looks comparable to the new Smurfs and that cost 60m

Edit- Actually Smurfs looks a ton better

26d.gif

Edit: I'm seeing this on Sunday with my daughter, pray for me.

Damn dude wtf did she do to deserve that

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's just a little weird to me how much people are shitting on this movie. The movie isn't for you, and it never was going to be for you. And that's ok. It is a silly little kids movie which I am sure will bring joy to many little kids.

This is complete nonsense. Being a kids movie isn't an excuse for being BAD. Some of the best movies ever made are "kids movies."

Two of the most critically acclaimed and best movies of 2016 were kids movies -- Zootopia and Moana.

My fiancee's daughter wants to see this movie and my fiancee is lamenting having to go see it. I kind of don't want my future stepdaughter to see it, but it's tough because my fiancee is not used to disallowing her kid to see things that are made for kids. I'm not sure how to bring it up, or if i even should.

HotHamBoy

This is complete nonsense. Being a kids movie isn't an excuse for being BAD. Some of the best movies ever made are "kids movies."

Two of the most critically acclaimed and best movies of 2016 were kids movies -- Zootopia and Moana.

Zootopia was great but Moana was extremely meh outside of the animation.

But you are right, it's absurd to say a kid's movie is beyond criticism and many of the best films are "kids" movies.

in hindsight putting Wonder Woman in this was a poor choice by RLM

WB lowered the bar for the DCEU to such an extreme that a mediocre film comes off as relatively brilliant.

My fiancee's daughter wants to see this movie and my fiancee is lamenting having to go see it. I kind of don't want my future stepdaughter to see it, but it's tough because my fiancee is not used to disallowing her kid to see things that are made for kids. I'm not sure how to bring it up, or if i even should.

Not all kids movies are created equal. You could point out that it has the lowest score of any animated movie ever, in particular the Guardian review that was just posted that literally says kids should not watch it. It's also kind of disgusting how pushy it seems to be with the product placement, I know a lot of kid's stuff is meant to sell toys but this feels like a whole different level.

Relationships are a balancing act, you gotta give and you gotta take. If taking her to see this movie makes you uncomfortable you should address that with your fiancee and try to find a compromise, not just swallow it and never bring it up. If she's already quailing on watching it herself then together you might be able to come up with something to prevent your future stepdaughter from being exposed to it? Or at least having to pay for it. Have her wait till it's on Netflix so she can watch it alone under a blanket on her tablet and not bring you or your fiancee into it!

ec0ec0

whats The Poochie?
Oh you sweet summer child.

giphy.gif
still kinda lost lol
A bad Simpsons episode?
One of the BEST Simpsons episodes.

Poochie is a "hip" character added to spice up Itchy and Scratchy with lots of 90's 'tude.

At the end of the episode they write Poochie out of the show and he says "I have to go now, my planet needs me." and he floats off screen with an animation cell and it says "Poochie died on his way back to his home planet."
Ah okay lol. Glad the writers responded accordingly to the hate it received

ahahaha

amazing exchange

Not all kids movies are created equal. You could point out that it has the lowest score of any animated movie ever, in particular the Guardian review that was just posted that literally says kids should not watch it. It's also kind of disgusting how pushy it seems to be with the product placement, I know a lot of kid's stuff is meant to sell toys but this feels like a whole different level.

Relationships are a balancing act, you gotta give and you gotta take. If taking her to see this movie makes you uncomfortable you should address that with your fiancee and try to find a compromise, not just swallow it and never bring it up. If she's already quailing on watching it herself then together you might be able to come up with something to prevent your future stepdaughter from being exposed to it? Or at least having to pay for it. Have her wait till it's on Netflix so she can watch it alone under a blanket on her tablet and not bring you or your fiancee into it!

You make some good points. I don't see anything I disagree with. I haven't even read the Guardian review yet; maybe it will help me more easily make my case. Thank you.

A-V-B

The crazy thing is no matter how mindbogglingly awful this movie is, children will love it and it will make hundreds of millions of dollars.

Also, I knew Popeye was canned because of this, but the Medusa movie too? Fuck me, this is like Konami all over again.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The crazy thing is no matter how mindbogglingly awful this movie is, children will love it and it will make hundreds of millions of dollars.

It's not going to make hundreds of millions of dollars.

In fact, I think the only thing that will save this thing from being a complete bomb is the small budget.

tauroxd

It's not going to make hundreds of millions of dollars.

In fact, I think the only thing that will save this thing from being a complete bomb is the small budget.

And the fact that, apparently, there is a lot of product placement there, so it is easy money.

whoszed

Someone explain why in the hell would Sean Connery do something like "Sir Billi" 9 years after League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? No way he needed more money? I'm dying to know how and why this happened.

Someone explain why in the hell would Sean Connery do something like "Sir Billi" 9 years after League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? No way he needed more money? I'm dying to know how and why this happened.

He probably did it for patriotic reasons, considering it's a Scottish production about a Scottish veterinarian.

spwolf

i was driving 4 kids around today and they all wanted to see it no matter how "bad" it might be... so the movie might do just fine, despite everyone in the industry wanting to hate it.

I wonder what they will say, I guess i will know in a week when they go.

Top Bottom