• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Ryse Review

ekim

Rev3Games/Sessler:
http://www.frequency.com/video/ryse-son-of-rome-review-adam-sessler/132582555/-/5-2748
2/5

http://www.3news.co.nz/Ryse-Son-of-Rome-review/tabid/418/articleID/322143/Default.aspx#.UozWI-KlThP

4/5
What the combat system relies on, rather than complexity, is timing. Getting the timing right on parrying an enemy blow, then the combination in which you strike back, and the precise timing of each of those strikes, is what Ryse is all about. It's a very tight focus for gameplay, but I found it to be highly satisfying. Its simplicity is a big part of why it works.

There's a few other bugs here and there. It's not too uncommon to see bodies magically moving through solid objects and I managed to get stuck behind a gate at one point, forcing me to load the last checkpoint. Occasionally it's quite difficult to see where to go, too, which can be annoying.

Ryse: Son of Rome may be rough around the edges, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Taking the mighty power of the Xbox One console and focusing it all into one man's blood-drenched quest with his trusty sword and shield is commendable, and I hope dearly to see a more polished, improved sequel.

Embargo is lifting tomorrow at 6am Pacific Eastern Time iirc.

Damn New Zealanders living in the future, check the date of the article! Although one imagines they were supposed to wait for the time allotted pacific or eastern time.

Hex

Banned
3 news?
I hear Bob's Chicken and Waffle Shack's Gaming Blog gave it 4.5 out of 5 too. GOTY.
Bob also thinks that FFXIII is the best Final Fantasy ever though so we don't know, but he makes a great hobo hash.

codhand

ryse is what we thought it was

189851_o.gif

Nemesis_

I basically expect everyone who plays it on Easy to say it's "repetitive and too easy" and give it a score less than 3 while everyone who plays it on Normal or Hard to praise it's combat depth and give it 3 or more.

Ryse is going to get a 75 average, calling it. Ryse is going to be reviewed great and its probably a fantastic game. There's a reason Microsoft gave Forza and Ryse their own days, and why Ryse is going last, Microsoft has faith in Ryse like they have faith in Forza. Even a 80+ average wouldn't surprise me.

Ricker

All about timing kind of like Batman or AC then...? might be good ,plus if you are good and nail those QTE,that I was told where optional(good thing in my book)it could be interesting.

Moobabe

Ryse is going to get a 75 average, calling it. Ryse is going to be reviewed great and its probably a fantastic game. There's a reason Microsoft gave Forza and Ryse their own days, and why Ryse is going last, Microsoft has faith in Ryse like they have faith in Forza. Even a 80+ average wouldn't surprise me.

Or they've left it to a day before launch because then people will have less chance to see it before they buy it?

It's not too uncommon to see bodies magically moving through solid objects and I managed to get stuck behind a gate at one point, forcing me to load the last checkpoint
the mighty power of the Xbox One console

hm, these two quotes don't seem to go well together.

Sounds a bit like Sakura Samurai in terms of how it plays.

H3xum

Rewarding timed combat with XP with the incentive to buy new moves is great. Adds depth to what appears to be a shallow combat system.

Sort of bummed out that the score isn't epic, if there was ever a game to really be over the top and grandiose sounding, this would have been the title.

Will wait to hear about the length before I decide to swoop it or redbox it.

hm, these two quotes don't seem to go well together.

Sounds a bit like Sakura Samurai in terms of how it plays.

Those are game bugs that can be addressed with a patch. What does that have to do with the console itself?

Top Bottom