• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Ryse Review

mr2t

Banned
If Ryse is the highest rated game at launch for either system this forum will be GLORIOUSLY entertaining.
KuGsj.gif

Well with game journalism standards at rock bottom I wouldn't be surprised.

Some people are genuinely surprised by this. If Ryse was getting shitty scores, MS would have probably lifted the embargo with the Lococycles and Powerstar Golfs. That they want people talking about Ryse right before launch probably means they know they have a solid title here.

daveo42

Banned
If Ryse is the highest rated game at launch for either system this forum will be GLORIOUSLY entertaining.
KuGsj.gif

Nope, Forza or Zoo Tycoon will most likely have that title at launch, based on the current reviews for each are pretty positive. There's been at least some negatives swirling around Ryse that are probably hard to ignore.

chugen

Ryse looks insane. Sounds insane. Tutorial kinda bit atm. It looks so Damn good. Cut scene is same as game play, couldn't tell the difference.

The qte work well. Executions are so Damn heavy. Chopped a guys arm off, stabbed him thru the head then kicked a ladder Down with ppl coming off it then said "xbox fire volley" and my catapult squad reaked havok. It's like a fucking war in here.

from the xbox one launch thread

sound good =)

ekim

From the Xbox One Launch thread - Phat Michael got the console and some games early. Here are his impressions so far.

Ryse looks insane. Sounds insane. Tutorial kinda bit atm. It looks so Damn good. Cut scene is same as game play, couldn't tell the difference.

The qte work well. Executions are so Damn heavy. Chopped a guys arm off, stabbed him thru the head then kicked a ladder Down with ppl coming off it then said "xbox fire volley" and my catapult squad reaked havok. It's like a fucking war in here.

edit: beaten like a stick.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Some people are genuinely surprised by this. If Ryse was getting shitty scores, MS would have probably lifted the embargo with the Lococycles and Powerstar Golfs. That they want people talking about Ryse right before launch probably means they know they have a solid title here.
This is definitely true. I'm expecting 90 average metacritic score for sure.

lol if this gets higher than a 70 overall, the meltdowns will be amazing. i expected a 5/10 but gg crytek if this game is actually good

Pastry

Banned

... I think you've got the whole situation reversed there.

Drek

So many supposed gamers just want this game to be terrible for the sole reason it is MS exclusive

I doubt it will anything groundbreaking but it looks like mindless fun which fits the bill of what these machines are supposed to be doing for us: providing entertainment

No, people want it to be acknowledged as terrible because it is most likely in fact terrible.

Crytek took the shallowest mechanic in the Arkham games, the combat, stripped away all of the puzzle solving, exploration, and gadgetry, then built a short, shallow, hack fest around it. That game is then prone to graphical glitches throughout. Sounds like a real winner.

In a world where Knack, which is a technically solid title with shallow gameplay and meaty length designed for kids, gets skewered what in hell could someone say in favor of Ryse? It looks pretty 'cause blood and romans?

I'm sure we'll see the near ubiquitous games "journalist" hypocrisy rear it's ugly head here yet again where the mindless bloody kill fest with technical issues once again reviews better than the family friendly solid title, only to be followed by cries for more unique content between releases, but that doesn't mean the industry as a whole isn't full of shit for doing it.

Skeff

from the xbox one launch thread

sound good =)

That particular poster is not someone I would trust with honest impressions of a microsoft product. It's like trusting me on a Final fantasy review, it's pointless.

Nope, Forza or Zoo Tycoon will most likely have that title at launch, based on the current reviews for each are pretty positive. There's been at least some negatives swirling around Ryse that are probably hard to ignore.

Resogun is currently leading the MetaCritic race on 83, edging out Forza on 82.

ekim

That particular poster is not someone I would trust with honest impressions of a microsoft product. It's like trusting me on a Final fantasy review, it's pointless.

Even so - It's his subjective opinion on that matter.

... I think you've got the whole situation reversed there.

I don't think so. There's no way they would cap the launch with a shitty AAA exclusive review fest. They would have lifted the embargo for Forza after Ryse if that were the case. Or at least placed them on the same day.

In any case, not too long until we find out. I'm expecting good news for Ryse.

If Polygon gives this a 10, don't expect NeoGAF to be accessible for days.

Kinda want this to happen just for the lulz

No, people want it to be acknowledged as terrible because it is most likely in fact terrible.

Crytek took the shallowest mechanic in the Arkham games, the combat, stripped away all of the puzzle solving, exploration, and gadgetry, then built a short, shallow, hack fest around it. That game is then prone to graphical glitches throughout. Sounds like a real winner.

In a world where Knack, which is a technically solid title with shallow gameplay and meaty length designed for kids, gets skewered what in hell could someone say in favor of Ryse? It looks pretty 'cause blood and romans?

I'm sure we'll see the near ubiquitous games "journalist" hypocrisy rear it's ugly head here yet again where the mindless bloody kill fest with technical issues once again reviews better than the family friendly solid title, only to be followed by cries for more unique content between releases, but that doesn't mean the industry as a whole isn't full of shit for doing it.

Considering the game isn't out, and i highly doubt you have played it (or intend to play it), this post is pretty much a senseless rant that comes across as deliberate trolling.

Lunzio

You could view it either way though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

if anything you're almost TOO open minded.

Axiom

I think even Lococycle looks like a game I could get some fun out of, but there has been literally nothing about RYSE that has ever looked appealing to me.

I'm not even big on God of War combat when God of War is doing it.

It could be getting reviews akin to Tearaway and Mario 3D World and I don't think I'd bother booting it even for free.

If this starts getting critical and consumer acclaim then I'll have never felt more disconnected with the tastes of others.

Theecliff

Banned
Um... Embargoes lifting closer to launch than usual isn't really supposed to be a good thing. I think you've got it a bit mixed up there.

Zyae

Or maybe, just maybe Ryse is a good game and better than Knack? The butt hurt intl this post is astounding. What does one game being bloody and another one being family friendly have to do with anything? Plenty of family friendly games get good reviews. Maybe Knack is just a shitty game?

Clockwork5

My bias as a soon to be owner of an xbox one. You lose.

I didn't realize he would buy it with one 8/10 or 4/5. I lose.

Just this game. I have noticed you trashing it. I'm not getting a launch X1 but I think this game has potential and it has been completely shit on by the members of this community. Sorry for the pointed remark, just sick of the hate.

nib95

Banned
If Polygon gives this a 10, don't expect NeoGAF to be accessible for days.

I don't think Polygon necessarily rate Microsoft games much higher, just Sony first party stuff lower. I expect Ryse to get a low rating from even Polygon. If it doesn't, I'll be pretty surprised.

CrazyDude

I don't think Polygon necessarily rate Microsoft games much higher, just Sony first party stuff lower. I expect Ryse to get a low rating from even Polygon. If it doesn't, I'll be pretty surprised.

Yup, considering the amount of media had negative impressions of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it got low scores.

Dynamic3

The review was full of objective detail and the reviewer was very transparent in terms of his love for graphics and linear shooters/action games to outline his taste.

Tbh that's exactly what I'm looking for in a review.

Top Bottom