• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Ryse Review

nkarafo

Ah, QTEs. The easy way for developers to make games since they spend 99% of their time and recourses in graphics.

Pass.

In what way, pray tell?

So your belief is that industry PR has never tried to influence a review score?

Please show me where I said that industry PR has never tried to influence a review score. Go on, I'll wait since you have poor reading comprehension skills.

Your initial post came off as a lame conspiracy theory that every high review score is paid for and that these reviewers are bought out. It was a terrible post and I'm not the only person here calling you out for its lunacy.

Clockwork5

So a couple of things stood out in this review. One, is that the reviewer says that you can either buy upgrades via the xp you get from killing enemies or buy them from in game currency (presumably). That begs the question why does there need to be an xp system if you can just buy all of the upgrades? Seems like it should be one or the other. Either use xp system to buy upgrades or use in game currency, not both. That just strikes me as awfully gamey, especially for a game so focused on realism.

Second is that he brought up the fact that you basically are only sword and shield the whole way through and you really don't get any new moves via the upgrade system, just stuff like more health, do more damage, etc. That sounds really boring to me. I guess the reviewer liked all the kill animations but wouldn't that get tiring after the first hour or so of the game? It sounded boring just reading. Mashing a over and over again and then every once in a while pushing x doesn't sound like much fun. And its funny that the reviewer brings up Heavenly Sword. Heavenly Sword was very shallow mechanically and had some performance issues but had great art direction and a pretty cool story with interesting characters. Sounds an awful lot like Ryse to me after reading his review.

Please, tell me more ways the xp and money system are broken in a game you have never played and only heard one person's impressions.

Also please point to the part about button mashing. Everything he said praised the tight timing based combat. No mashing, unless you want to of course.

Pro tip: anyone who can't compare any game to any other game in an objective fashion shouldn't be reviewing games, and anyone who uses the "opinions, man!" cop out shouldn't either. Quality is not subjective, it's binary once you purge all forms of bias from the equation.

This is incredible stuff, keep it up.

The last quote

kobe-bryant-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1660.gif

Zephyrus

Banned
Demon Souls is the exception rather than the rule, you're not going to win this argument.

And Catherine sold well for the budget. Compare the money and buzz that game received to something like Call of Duty or Assassins Creed.

Bigger marketing budget = high sales
High review scores =/= high sales
I have already won.

I basically gave you one game that thrived on word of mouth and spawned another IP with the exact same gameplay made by the same developers.
You then pointed out another game that helped my point.

Thing is, if your game is rated high enough, it will sell. It will have word of mouth. And chances are, it can become a series.

Catherine had one game. No sequel/prequel out. Not even announced. Not even hinted at.
Yet it sold very well for the budget and marketing it had.

Enthusiast of the genre will likely spread word of the game to other enthusiasts thus creating a hype around the title which will then have other people outside comment on it and having an interest in it.

Ever heard of the word HYPE?

It's the exact reason why I bought TES: Oblivion, even though I never cared for the genre before. Granted it ended up not being my thing, but I did buy a copy.

You can put all the money you want into marketing, but if your game is an unproven new IP made by people who haven't really made anything extraordinary and it ends up being mediocre... then it's not going to sell. Not enough to generate a profit.

Really? Or could it be because PS4's not out in New Zealand until the end of the month? Of course not. Has to be a conspiracy, though.

No conspiracy. No moneyhatts.
Maybe the site just doesn't care about the PS4 at this point.
Ryse doesn't have a similar game to compare to at this alunch window, but from what I've seen (not played) DR3 is going to be a better game, even it it's uglier.

Hindle

Banned
I expect scores between 6,7, and 8.

Edit. It will be hilarious if Ryse gets a 80s meta rating. The thread that would ensue is likely to be the funniest ever created.

I have already won.

I basically gave you one game that thrived on word of mouth and spawned another IP with the exact same gameplay made by the same developers.
You then pointed out another game that helped my point.

Thing is, if your game is rated high enough, it will sell. It will have word of mouth. And chances are, it can become a series.

Catherine had one game. No sequel/prequel out. Not even announced. Not even hinted at.
Yet it sold very well for the budget and marketing it had.

Enthusiast of the genre will likely spread word of the game to other enthusiasts thus creating a hype around the title which will then have other people outside comment on it and having an interest in it.

Ever heard of the word HYPE?

It's the exact reason why I bought TES: Oblivion, even though I never cared for the genre before. Granted it ended up not being my thing, but I did buy a copy.

You can put all the money you want into marketing, but if your game is an unproven new IP made by people who haven't really made anything extraordinary and it ends up being mediocre... then it's not going to sell. Not enough to generate a profit.

You pointed out one title.

ONE.

For every Demons Souls that becomes a hit via word of mouth there are 10 highly budgeted titles that move a lot of units mainly because of a strong marketing push.

I think you're viewing the world through forum goggles, most people don't give a shit about review scores or even bother to look them up. I can only think of a single friend that looks up review scores and isn't involved with a forum or gaming website; everyone else buys things based off of TV commercials, print advertisements, or impulse purchases.

Catherine has sold less than 1 million copies. My point is that reviews scores had absolutely nothing to do with that but I guarantee a bigger marketing budget would have driven more sales. That's why I'm sitting here telling you marketing = more sales, not high review scores.

After reading your post it's definitely clear that you don't grasp the perspective of the vast majority of consumers. Most consumers aren't reading GAF and feeding into the hype.

No conspiracy. No moneyhatts.
Maybe the site just doesn't care about the PS4 at this point.
Ryse doesn't have a similar game to compare to at this alunch window, but from what I've seen (not played) DR3 is going to be a better game, even it it's uglier.

I don't think you understand. They can't have PS4 reviews if they don't have a PS4 and games to review. The PS4 isn't out there until the 29th.

I want to play this game, it looks stunning and yes I am a total graphics whore. I don't really care too much about it mostly being QTE shit honestly. Too bad I won't be playing it until next year sometime when I eventually get an XB1

graboids

have low expectations after the past few months, but I want this game to be good, I really hope this game surpryses me....

balohna

I'll be honest, I expected much worse. If it turns out to get good reviews all around I'll consider picking it up once I eventually have a 'bone.

shandy706

Ah, QTEs. The easy way for developers to make games since they spend 99% of their time and recourses in graphics.

Pass.

Such a stupid post....any post like this is stupid. It's as much a QTE game as Batman...might as well call Mortal Kombat's finishing moves QTEs too...I mean, they are the same buttons to finish someone off EVERY time in both games.

The difference is Ryse apparently has over 100 finishers, your supposed optional QTEs, that outnumber other games with per-programmed ways to knockout/end an enemy.

Mariolee

Pass.

Even if the gameplay isn't up to par, it's probably a pretty insulting and ignorant comment to say that it was "easy" to develop this game.

Here was TechCrunch's impression of Ryse. They posted it in their Xbox One Review. Make of it what you will, but it sounds like what we are hearing from some user impressions.

TechCrunch said:
Ryse: Son Of Rome: Often visually stunning, but remarkably repetitive. Go down hallway. Punch dudes, then stab one in slow-motion. Go down another hallway. Punch another dude. Repeat for 6 or 7 hours, till you reach the end of the confusing-ass plot. Sadly, the dude-punching part isn’t even very fun.

nkarafo

Even if the gameplay isn't up to par, it's probably a pretty insulting and ignorant comment to say that it was "easy" to develop this game.
I'm not saying its easy to develop the graphics engines and all these textures i'm saying that with a QTE based gameplay they save time because they don't have to work as much on the gameplay department.

Zephyrus

Banned
This is patently false. Nothing about a game's rating guarantees any sale number.

prove me wrong then. Do mention it's budget and if it was financially successful or not.

@Gucci Messiah

clearly you do not have the academics smart to judge a game by how financially successful it was.

I don't glance throw games based on how well they're perceived on forums.

I judge them if they made a profit and if so why did they make that profit.

And excluding bizarre exceptions, most games do turn a profit based on how high they scored and how good it's word of mouth was.

Not everything needs to sell 10 million to be considered successful.

RetroStu

Banned
Why? Cause it got decent scores? I don't understand, cause that would be higher than Killzone?

Why do people always say stuff like this, reviewers don't reference every game they have reviewed when rating a game, they don't compare them to every other game they have ever reviewed you know, maybe if they were the same genre but Killzone and Ryse are not.

Top Bottom