• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First shots fired in the next gen power comparison?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well shit, thank you for explaining that out of context quote that OP posted.
Yeh they didn't explain it very well.

PUBG is getting a framerate cap boost to 60fps on the One X only when you select the "Framerate Priority" mode in the game, before the Series X comes out (*Framerate Priority option releases on live servers for Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro with the October 9.1 Update. ). The One and One S versions aren't, their cap is still 30fps in the prioritize framerate mode. Since the game is running in BC, the Series X running the One X version will have an extra 6TF of power to make sure the game stays at locked 60fps, whereas it very likely will have drops on the One X. On the One S, it'll just be locked 30fps since that's the max framerate cap.

The problem with getting 60fps on the Series S via BC is that to make that happen they need to patch the One/One S version to have a 60fps max option. This will cause the game to run *terribly* on the One and One S for anyone that selects it, and I'm sure people that don't know better will complain that their "60fps" mode is struggling to hit 40fps max. The Series S would have no problems playing it at locked 60fps though.

Last edited:
Boom, shot fired! Ehh... some people are more impressed by numbers/stats than what their eyes tell them. Shit tons of people on these forums said AC looked like shit, who gives a rip if it's 4k60? There are more visually stunning games than VC. Medium, looks better. Gears 5, looks better. Spider-Man, looks better. Demon's Souls, looks better. But, i do understand that this does help in the virtual dick measuring contest.

AC Valhalla is a cross-gen game, it's almost certainly going to run at 4k 60fs on PS5.

IMO devs will in general be aiming for parity between the systems, especially early on.

It's from an official UbiSoft press release:
ElR7ARQWMAIJsqp
"Assassins creed Valhalla will not only run in 4k on the PS5 but also at 60 frames,in full 4k resolution."

MrFunSocks

Banned
Im not english speaking 🤷‍♀️
But 'and' i learnt is both together.
'at' can be a certain point but no need to be both.
Oh ok, fair enough.

Saying "4K at 60fps" is describing the framerate that it will run at while running at the resolution of 4K. No wiggle room there, it means that it 60fps when running at 4K.

Saying "4K and 60fps" also can mean the exact same thing, which is why it's a weird difference. It *could* in a very PR way be used to say that it will run at 4K and at 60fps, but not at the same time.

I personally think people are reading too much into it and it'll be 4K/60fps on both, but it is weird how they chose to word it.

makaveli60

Controversial but serious post: I wish it was true. Then I could choose between 30 and 60 fps modes so I can avoid playing it in horrible soap opera effect. Otherwise I will play it on PS4 even if I will have a PS5.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, PS5 will definitely be native 4K running at 60fps, just like the XSX

geordiemp

Lol, PS5 will definitely be native 4K running at 60fps, just like the XSX

If there is any differences, one may have better shadow or something that needs a DF magnifying glass.

Bigger differences would mean one is BVH and one is SSR.

People thinking they will see resolution or frame rate differences are barking up the wrong tree for starters..

Last edited:

Ic3man

It's no surprise that the Xbox Series X is the more powerful console. We just need to wait and see how much of a difference it's actually going to be.

cormack12

Gold Member
Why is this an issue? I'm getting a PS5 and read it as:

4k @ 60 means that game runs full native 4K at the target 60fps for the entire game
4k and 60 means that the game probably drops res or has cbr in certain places

Obviously this is an ubi game so there is no way 60fps is maintained 100% on either platform.

This is expected isn't it? This is what I'm expecting for the entire generation.

FranXico

Why is this an issue? I'm getting a PS5 and read it as:

4k @ 60 means that game runs full native 4K at the target 60fps for the entire game
4k and 60 means that the game probably drops res or has cbr in certain places

Obviously this is an ubi game so there is no way 60fps is maintained 100% on either platform.

This is expected isn't it? This is what I'm expecting for the entire generation.
By now we all should know better than using Ubisoft games or PUBG for benchmarking the new consoles.
Same goes for indie games that usually go hard for art direction and are never going to push either hardware.

cormack12

Gold Member
By now we all should know better than using Ubisoft games or PUBG for benchmarking the new consoles.
Same goes for indie games that usually go hard for art direction and are never going to push either hardware.

Sure but the majority of 3rd parties this is what I'm expecting. If it isn't then massive bonus, and I'd expect the 1st party stuff to be highly tuned to maintaining that on the PS5. But if you have a game like this that runs between say 48-56fps in 8 or 9 troubled area's of a massive game then a quick dynamic resolution drop solves it. Also, the entire game and cameras could be using dyanmic resolution on every build, it just doesn't need to initialise on the XsX in those areas. So many variables, but you have a point about Ubi, guess we wait for more third party stuff.

Cato

Banned
So it's Xbox exclusive for two days!

MS must have taken out those money hats!

What? What!
Don't tell me they ran out of money already. I really expect Fallout5/TES6 to have a completely overhauled completely rewritten engine from scratch. Or else there will be trouble.
Don;t tell me they are out of money and FO5 will have the same broken engine joke as FO3.

waxer

I've got a video of this beautiful beach in 4k at 60fps

My camera has some sweet features like rode microphone, along with detailed 4k and 60fps video recording.

anothertech

I'd say the first shots fired was Phil telling the world exclusives were bad for gaming.

He was shooting himself in the foot.

Second shots were showing the world Craig. I don't think he's recovered from that one yet.

Final shots were revealing a 4tf machine as a next gen hardware and buying Starfield. Nobody knows what's happening or what the fuck Phil is doing any more.

This is more of a bump on a log tbh

I mean, it just seems a deliberate spin on words. Hows this...

"4k Resolution at 60 Frames per Second" Means only 2k Resolution at 50fps and 1080p at 30fps

I mean, we all know thats NOT the case, but you can make anything mean what you want to the mean if you try hard enough, ESPECIALLY marketing gumpf.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
more powerful hardware performs better. seriously though i think the differences will not be that noticeable for most people. likely will be similar to what we got with the PS4 Pro/XB1X. both were "4K" consoles but had to upscale.

either console will be a good choice. get whatever one you want.

Last edited:

Zathalus

My prediction is as it has always been, parity in some 3rd party games, better loading for PS5 in others, and 15%-25% resolution boost (or slightly better settings) for the X in some others.

3rd party games are going to be close to each other on both platforms, the exclusives are ultimately going to matter. PS5 is off to a great start, and has stellar studios working on amazing games, while Microsoft is off to a slow start but has 23 great development studios working on games coming out in the future.

The real winners this generation are those that pick up all 3 consoles. Or PC/PS5/Switch. (Xbox/PS5/Switch for me, as I am a bit over PC gaming at the moment.)

It really feels like you will be missing out on a ton of great games this generation if you stick to one platform.

GymWolf

Curious to see how stable this 60 frames are on console...and what level of details they are using to run a game like valhalla at 4k60 on these consolles...(not because it looks good, but because previous ac game were trashy optimized at launch).

But it seems obvious that the most powerfull machine has the better results, except for lazy devs who dkn't use the more power, this is gonna be a constant for nextgen.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
a solid 60fps would be nice in games but doesn't really matter anymore now these consoles support VRR. if a game is bouncing between 40-60fps then VRR will smooth it out and reduce input lag/stuttering.

that's if you have a VRR TV/monitor though lol.

geordiemp

My prediction is as it has always been, parity in some 3rd party games, better loading for PS5 in others, and 15%-25% resolution boost (or slightly better settings) for the X in some others.

3rd party games are going to be close to each other on both platforms, the exclusives are ultimately going to matter. PS5 is off to a great start, and has stellar studios working on amazing games, while Microsoft is off to a slow start but has 23 great development studios working on games coming out in the future.

The real winners this generation are those that pick up all 3 consoles. Or PC/PS5/Switch. (Xbox/PS5/Switch for me, as I am a bit over PC gaming at the moment.)

It really feels like you will be missing out on a ton of great games this generation if you stick to one platform.

I think that Ps5 is more powerful for ray tracing with BVH and other techiques which require sharing the CU data in caches, which was teased a while ago by Matt Hargatt, ex ps5 principal

Note the question, can intersetion share data between CUs ? This is key question and the basis of infinity cache. We dont know what ps5 has yet, but is being teased for L1 and L0 caches at least .

So in general, higher ipc 10 vs higher TF 12 cancels out, which we will see in games, it will be interesting to see if XSX has BVH ray tracing and how it performs and cost over a frame, or if its just SSR like gears 5.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I think that Ps5 is more powerful for ray tracing with BVH and other techiques which require shading the CU data in caches, which was teased a while ago by Matt Hargatt, ex ps5 principal

So in general, higher ipc 10 vs higher TF 12 cancels out, which we will see in games, it will be interesting to see if XSX has BVH ray tracing and how it performs and cost over a frame, or if its just SSR like gears 5.

I'm not just going on specifications, but what Matt over on resetera said, and the leak we had about Borderlands 3 on this very forum. Both stated the X is more powerful, but of course not by much.

geordiemp

I'm not just going on specifications, but what Matt over on resetera said, and the leak we had about Borderlands 3 on this very forum. Both stated the X is more powerful, but of course not by much.

I am talking about BVH ray tracing calcs and other post processing effects, where you get 50 % more performance for BVH if you can share cache data (AMD).

Lets wait and see the cost for XSX for BVH in games. Ps5 we know has low cost (Spiderman), just seeing a hardware ray tracing included PR does not tell you much (could be SSR)

Matt (Sykes) was ps5 principal engineer now at Roblox, Matt Era is a forum moderator.

Take your pick lol

Last edited:

Zathalus

I am talking about BVH ray tracing calcs and other post processing effects, where you get 50 % more performance for BVH if you can share cache data (AMD).

Lets wait and see the cost for XSX for BVH in games. Ps5 we know has low cost (Spiderman), just seeing a hardware ray tracing included PR does not tell you much (could be SSR)
I'd be surprised if the Xbox Series X does not have the shared cache L1 that Infinity cache is rumoured to be. VRS, Mesh Shading, RT capable TMUs, and SF are all in, but it is missing one of the most potentially performant features of RDNA 2? Seems odd that.

Then again, it appears Infinity Cache might be the 128MB of L2/L3 after all.

geordiemp

I'd be surprised if the Xbox Series X does not have the shared cache L1 that Infinity cache is rumoured to be. VRS, Mesh Shading, RT capable TMUs, and SF are all in, but it is missing one of the most potentially performant features of RDNA 2? Seems odd that.

Then again, it appears Infinity Cache might be the 128MB of L2/L3 after all.

No, Infinity cache is shared L1 and CU data. Large L2 is not related to the AMD patent, but would add to the IPC. Shared L1 cache alone gives 22 % IPC....where does 22 % get you ?

XSX does not have shared L1 cache shown at hotchips, and from the apple max beta drivers is still using 20 waves per SIMD, which is RDNA1 because you dont have the cache hit rate so need bigger waves.

We dont know ps5 waves yet, or L1, just a ps5 engineer teasing via twitter, and good ps5 BVH performance which is more evidence. Not long now. Tick tock.

DCCl6Xm.png

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Far Cry 6
Far Cry has never looked so stunning, with luscious tropical vistas rendered at 60 frames per second and 4K resolutions on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.
Poor Far Cry 6, confirmed not to be 4K @ 60fps on both.
Also, how is this anyone taking shots but fanboys? Unless Greenberg is running that account.

Top Bottom