• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

Luigiv

rpmurphy said:
Good point. But since Nintendo seems to want to push the idea of drawing applications on the touch screen, resistive seems to have a technical advantage there. Still, too bad about single-touch though.
Yeah, multitouch would be nice, but if this screen has as much give (as in the amount of space the resistive layer has to depress into) as the 3DS does then I'd rather not have it. The more give the screen has, the bigger the inaccuracies it'd create in multitouch.

On the upside, the larger give does have a very nice tactile feel to it that a hard glass/plastic capacitive touch screen can't replicate. And honestly, the applications of multitouch are fairly limited when you already have physical buttons either side.

Mashing

alterno69 said:
That's the impression i get, ses to me like Nintendo is reacting to what MS and Sony are doing, kinda half assing it.

Nintendo NEVER reacts to the competition. You should know this based on their history.

epaturun

gofreak said:
Where's the suggestion of one controller per console coming from? I'm sure that's not right.

i think there is a comment on kokatus preview and the spec sheet from Nintendo talks about 4 wii controls but only one of the pads

And the winner of the mockup contest is:

Tw0r1.jpg

commissar

hope it can handle up to four controllers. friends bringing their controllers round for a new four swords or crystal chronicles style game would be great

Arkham said:
Mixed, apparently.
brilliant

antonz

KaotikMind said:
Wow the Wii U gets worse and worse with every new bit of news, I'm not buying this shit. The 3DS will be my go to nintendo hardware for the foreseeable future.
What? Tech wise it was just revealed its using the latest CPU technology out there from IBM. Outside of ignorant gaffers jumping to conclusion we know very little to make stupid statements like it gets worse and worse

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
Where's the suggestion of one controller per console coming from? I'm sure that's not right.

The spec sheet.

Specifically mentions up to 4 wiimotes, but only one of the new controllers. If it supported more they would say.

Timo

It makes sense to me that it only supports the one controller. Having to generate the information for 4 screens and then an HD TV would be quite taxing, no? It'd been cool if it did work though. Maybe it will for games with simpler graphics.

Taker666

gofreak said:

At the moment they have only ever shown one controller connected..alongside multiple wii remotes. So it's easy to understand why people are making that assumption.

alterno69

Banned
Timo said:
It makes sense to me that it only supports the one controller. Having to generate the information for 4 screens and then an HD TV would be quite taxing, no? It'd been cool if it did work though. Maybe it will for games with simpler graphics.
Good point, imagine HD games rendering two screens, then three or five. If it's just one controller then that's terrible.

The controller will be cool for family games. I have a vlast playing trivial pursuit on Wii.

I don't know if there's a need for multiple WiiU controllers if it has a good online system.
You can just use other Wii controllers.

Luigiv

McHuj said:
Interesting. I'm assuming that gives them a power savings.
Actually it'd probably give them a slight power loss (since DRAM needs to be refreshed every so often) but it's true advantage is a much higher capacity using the same amount of silicon (and therefore the same price).

Hazanko said:
It's not lazy, why should I though? Nintendo want the core gamers to come back but why go with their console when my PS3 and Xbox360 have hard drives built in? Why should I go out my way to hook up an external hard drive?

Coz it'll be so much cheaper and you can use the spare money for games and stuff

epaturun

epaturun said:
i think there is a comment on kokatus preview and the spec sheet from Nintendo talks about 4 wii controls but only one of the pads

its ign

More important is the fact that the new console is backwards compatible with Wii controllers. Nintendo's demos suggested it is very intent on utilizing its current generation remotes - without alteration - alongside the new tablet. In fact while the number of Wii remotes changed between mini-games, I only ever used one tablet controller.

antonz

Door2Dawn said:
Its the latest and greatest Tech from IBM.

Power7 CPUs come in 4,6,8 core variety 3 Ghz-4.25 Ghz. Even though clocks are lower than Power6 chips the Power7 perform much better

wsippel

Banned
McHuj said:
It's probably kind of acting like one, but cache's are typically SRAMs since they are much faster.
Not true for Power7. That's the whole point. Power7 uses eDRAM instead of SRAM.

EDIT: Sorry, missed your reply.

DarkPanda

Single touch is stupid. Everything and its prototype has multi-touch these days, and people have been conditioned to expect it from capacitive touch screens. By not supporting it Nintendo is actually restricting the types of interactions that users can have with Wii u.

DarkPanda said:
Single touch is stupid. Everything and its prototype has multi-touch these days, and people have been conditioned to expect it from capacitive touch screens. By not supporting it Nintendo is actually restricting the types of interactions that users can have with Wii u.

It's insanity for a tablet device not to have multi-touch.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
alterno69 said:
Good point, imagine HD games rendering two screens, then three or five. If it's just one controller then that's terrible.

Well if it was going to do it you'd just take into account the smaller screen and render a 4-way splitscreen to fire out different quarters to the controllers. But it would still be a bit of a bugger to sync up, which is probably why it only supports one.

I'm surprised Nintendo have dived into an area where there is no ideal solution for it which compromises the concept. One controller + same room use really hurts it's potential.

Rahxephon91 said:
Well ideally we would want them to have the same effect that Dolphin does. But I guess it was too much of Nintendo to actually do something cool.
Ideally, sure. But PS1 on PS2 doesn't do it. PS2 on PS3 doesn't do it. Xbox on X360 doesn't do it. DS on 3DS doesn't do it. It's not something everyone's doing and they dropped the ball.
DarkPanda said:
Everything and its prototype has multi-touch these days
Not DS or 3DS.

linsivvi

gofreak said:

None of the videos shown so far has more than one controller. Commonsense also tells us that it's much more difficult to support more than one controller, considering you need to render and send images to each controller in real time.

wsippel

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Power7 is IBM's top of the line supercomputer CPU architecture. As bleeding edge as it gets. Incredibly efficient, incredibly fast. We're talking about Nehalem EX performance at half the transistor count and price.

Twig

Banned
DarkPanda said:
Yeah, it's goddamn infuriating. I like being able to use a stylus, but not in lieu of multitouch. Maybe on tiny DS screens, but this behemoth of a controller has a 6.2" screen? C'mon. ):

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not saying it's gonna be a beast or anything, but I love how everyone is hating on the hardware based on assumptions. Yet in reality we are getting info like the CPU is a Power 7, and people are like *yawn* despite the fact that we are getting a version of the latest IBM line of cpus.

CPU wise this thing should be extremely capable. As for the GPU I doubt we get any info, and I also wonder if the GPU specs are even close to final anyways. No matter what we get GPU wise though I expect people to hate based on how things are going so far.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
wsippel said:
So, according to Engadget, WiiU uses "Watson's brain" - Power7 confirmed? Not bad. Not bad at all.
'No more powerfull than Xenos' my ass.

"IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM. It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson."

We need an OP update.

gerg

While I can understand that not having multi-touch is limiting when compared to offering it, I think that people should realise that most of the time you will be holding the Wii U controller in one hand, so (perhaps when compared to other tablet devices) in practice I don't think that designers' ideas will actually be very limited by the decision.

Unicorn

Basileus777 said:
It's insanity for a tablet device not to have multi-touch.
it's a tablet AND a controller.

there's fucking buttons and nobs for your hands and fingers. touchscreen won't need to go beyond single touch with all those other inputs RIGHT THERE.

antonz said:
What? Tech wise it was just revealed its using the latest CPU technology out there from IBM. Outside of ignorant gaffers jumping to conclusion we know very little to make stupid statements like it gets worse and worse

Duuuude, everything is pointing towards a gimped 360 with exactly as powerful as the 360 as the best case scenario. 2005 tech out in 2012? bullshit. Plus the controller looks awful, and if anything the 3DS looks like a much better idea. But in the end of the day Nintendo is slipping.

larvi

Buckethead said:
The controller will be cool for family games. I have a vlast playing trivial pursuit on Wii.

I don't know if there's a need for multiple WiiU controllers if it has a good online system.
You can just use other Wii controllers.

Multiple WiiU controllers would be perfect for games like hold 'em poker where you have to keep your hand private from other players in the same room. Sports games as well where you don't want your opponent knowing your play call/defense.

KaotikMind said:
Duuuude, everything is pointing towards a gimped 360 with exactly as powerful as the 360 as the best case scenario. 2005 tech out in 2012? bullshit. Plus the controller looks awful, and if anything the 3DS looks like a much better idea. But in the end of the day Nintendo is slipping.
Haha, you're silly.

guldakot

I really want to know what the hell the WiiU is using for graphics now, and the ammount of RAM. Even the lower clocked power 7 chips crap all over the cell and xenon. If we actually get a gpu to match the cpu, this system will be a friggin monster.
I mean, obviously the WiiU's cpu wont be a fully functioning, power 7, would gen way too much heat for that tiny box. But based on transistor counts wasnt each xenon core only the equivelant of abougt 20 -30 percent of a power 5 core? The power 7 is MAGNITUDES more powerful then the power 5, so by contrast the cpu in the WiiU should utterly destroy the xenon. Even the cell uses HIGHLY modified power 5 cores.

The shear ammount of calculations per second will utterly surpass both the ps3 and 360.
****CAVEAT**** These chips are memory hungry, to fully utilize a power 7 core they are gonna need at least 256mb of ram in a closed box system per core, preferably 512 mb per core. If this thing is running a quad core power 7 derivitive I hope to god that ninty meets expectation ramwise.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The bird demo is apparently running in real time and that's pretty effing impressive.

I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who has seen the HD vid of that and concluded the system is the same or worse than PS3/360.

- It uses the foliage to display the poly-pushing power and the draw distance is good.
- The textures are really sharp.
- Shaders are impressive (focal effects, water, surface of fish at the end).

lethial

Reeeeeeee
KaotikMind said:
Wow the Wii U gets worse and worse with every new bit of news, I'm not buying this shit. The 3DS will be my go to nintendo hardware for the foreseeable future.

lol it was announced like 2 hours ago and you're jumping to conclusions.

Riddick

Not having multitouch is a disgrace.

If it's resistive too it would be ridiculous. I hope the hardware is a gen ahead of PS3 and not just a little more powerful.

larvi said:
Multiple WiiU controllers would be perfect for games like hold 'em poker where you have to keep your hand private from other players in the same room. Sports games as well where you don't want your opponent knowing your play call/defense.

Eh. I don't know.

I think most people play hardcore games online, not in the same room.

Lonely1 said:
'No more powerfull than Xenos' my ass.

You mean Xenon, but yeah.

"IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM. It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson."

We need an OP update.

Sounds very, very impressive.

Top Bottom