• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First tiny, rather blurry screenshot of Dragon Age 3 revealed

Killzig

Well there's a Tevinter something.

Yeah, I've heard them hint that the empire will play some role as far as an enemy faction, but everything else I've seen hints at the game largely taking place in Orlais since we're being subjected to yet another Chantry/Templar/Mage thread. Better than Darkspawn I guess.

Henke

Really nice shots actually. I haven't had my Dragon Age experience tainted by the sequel so I'll remain optimistic that Bioware can deliver the goods again.

EVOL 100%

What I want DA3 to be like:

Stop doing the Whedon-lite bullshit where everybody quips all the time. It's not funny, it's dumb and it's a pretty pathetic attempt to make the game seem clever. Also, characters liberally using edgy swear words when even the most foul mouthed character in Origins didn't use them? Come on.

Stop pandering to the people on your forums.

A compromise between the combat speeds of DA2 and Origins. Yes, Origin was a bit sluggish but 2 is stupidly fast. Make it a bit slower.

Choices that actually have real consequences. 2 handled this in the worse way possible.

Get rid of the wheel and give us real dialogue choices.

Origins was a bit too drab and lacked identity so the idea to stylize things a bit was a fine idea. It just went overboard in 2 and looked embarrassing as a result. Again, a compromise please. Or get better artists.

More grounded animations. Roundhouse kicking a bottle towards enemies? Seriously?

A toolset. 2 never getting the toolset was a pretty big blow.

Isometric view. Why did they get rid of this again?

The rival/friend(paraphrased) system was a neat idea that the player doesn't have to suck up to party members all the time. But it also meant that you either had to be BFFs or hate their guts to get anything out of it. Why not get rid of relationship bonuses altogether?

Please have more than 4 environments.

Do this and I'll happily fork up $60 day one. Make me love you again.

SerRodrik

I think I agree with everything you just said. I don't really expect them to do that, though.

More grounded animations. Roundhouse kicking a bottle to enemies? Seriously?

Christ I forgot about that! That is the stupidest thing! I guess just throwing the bottle like a sane person wouldn't be awesome enough.

Syraxith

Stop doing the Whedon-lite bullshit where everybody quips all the time. It's not funny, it's dumb and it's a pretty pathetic attempt to make the game seem clever. Also, characters liberally using edgy swear words when even the most foul mouthed character in Origins didn't use them? Come on.

A compromise between the combat speeds of DA2 and Origins. Yes, Origin was a bit sluggish but 2 is stupidly fast. Make it a bit slower.

Choices that actually have real consequences. 2 handled this in the worse way possible.

Origins was a bit too drab and lacked identity so the idea to stylize things a bit was a fine idea. It just went overboard in 2 and looked embarrassing as a result. Again, a compromise please. Or get better artists.

More grounded animations. Roundhouse kicking a bottle towards enemies? Seriously?

The rival/friend(paraphrased) system was a neat idea that the player doesn't have to suck up to party members all the time. But it also meant that you either had to be BFFs or hate their guts to get anything out of it. Why not get rid of relationship bonuses altogether?

Is origins' modding community really active to justify another toolset attempt? I seem to remember a lot of complaints when it was first released publicly that it wasn't "beginner friendly" enough (or something to that degree).

EVOL 100%

I think I agree with everything you just said. I don't really expect them to do that, though.

I'm not getting my hopes up either. I'd be surprised if half of what I want actually happens tbh.

Is origins' modding community really active to justify another toolset attempt? I seem to remember a lot of complaints when it was first released publicly that it wasn't "beginner friendly" enough (or something to that degree).

It was fairly active. I admit that it probably isn't as big of a deal as I made it out in that post, it's just a personal hope of mine. I'm pretty sure that most of the gameplay related complaints that I had in 2, barring the reused environments with have been easier to weed out if there was a toolset though.

Iirc there were actually plans to eventually release a toolset before the game came out, but DA2 did so poorly that the expansion packs got cancelled. I think the toolset never happened because of the poor sales.

Dyno

largejlblb.jpg

That's Canadian MP Tony Clement. What has he to do with games? Nothing. Does his very presence fortell a crummy game? Probably.

Patryn

I'm not getting my hopes up either. I'd be surprised if half of what I want actually happens tbh.

It was fairly active. I admit that it probably isn't as big of a deal as I made it out in that post, it's just a personal hope of mine. I'm pretty sure that most of the gameplay related complaints that I had in 2, barring the reused environments with have been easier to weed out if there was a toolset though.

As I've said in another thread: Bioware makes console games that happen to be ported to the PC. Hoping for PC-centric features is undoubtedly going to lead to disappointment. I'd be shocked if they ever do modding tools again.

I could be wrong, of course.

That's Canadian MP Tony Clement. What has he to do with games? Nothing. Does his very presence fortell a crummy game? Probably.

Looking in on a major recipient of government tax credits, I believe.

I pretty much agree with everything here. Bravo.

After having been told (on this very board) that since I liked DA:O, I should NOT pick up SM, I think I'll approach this with less than my usual cautions optimism...critical skepticism feels appropriate.

Oh come on! You didn't think Isabela making a witty quip about "liking big boats and she cannot lie" was HILARIOUS?

Yes, I agree though. Far too many stupid meme level jokes. Granted, BioWare has always had some level of pop culture type jokes in their games, going back to Baldur's Gate but Dragon Age 2 felt really obnoxious in that regard.

Durante

You bring up a lot of good points, but miss the two most important ones:

- get rid of wave-based encounters, except maybe in a handful of isntances where they make sense
- friendly fire needs to be enabled on the default difficulty

EVOL 100%

You bring up a lot of good points, but miss the two most important ones:

- get rid of wave-based encounters, except maybe in a handful of isntances where they make sense
- friendly fire needs to be enabled on the default difficulty

Oh yeah. I blocked ANOTHER WAVE from my memory, thanks for making me remember that :mad:

Jarlaxle

Stop doing the Whedon-lite bullshit where everybody quips all the time. It's not funny, it's dumb and it's a pretty pathetic attempt to make the game seem clever.

Everything you say seems spot on and I agree with 100% except this. I like the characters talking to each other while going on missions and just walking around. I genuinely laughed many times during both games and I would be sad to see it go. Some of the best parts of the game to me and gave the characters and world more "character" imho.

Trigger

The dialogue was a mixed bag. I loved Varric and Isabella's banter, but the tone of DA2 was all over the place.

largejlblb.jpg

I've shot a gun with that guy!

For a politician...he's awesome.

Which is kindof like saying you have an awesome kind of herpes but...hey.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Seems every girl I meet nowadays who is into games likes this series. I've never played it but the screenshots I've seen have made it look so ugly... character designs like CG renders from a low-budget PS1 game. The Mass Effect series definitely looks better.

where everybody quips all the time. It's not funny, it's dumb and it's a pretty pathetic attempt to make the game seem clever. Also, characters liberally using edgy swear words when even the most foul mouthed character in Origins didn't use them? Come on.
I haven't played the second, and don't really intend too... but I'm not sure how it can be worse than Origin.

They never shut up during missions. And almost all of it is just saying random stupid things.

I do like one thing... I had an interesting glitch in my last playthrough. All of their fight dialog was replaced with gift dialog. Leiliana cut off Howes head and said "Oh that's so dear of you! Thank you so much." as blood rained.

Patryn

I'm quite fond of banter. I think they help to build character's personalities.

The problem is when the writers try to be cute and integrate pop culture into things, like that Isabella line. I don't necessarily personally mind the quips.

I'm quite fond of banter. I think they help to build character's personalities.

The problem is when the writers try to be cute and integrate pop culture into things, like that Isabella line. I don't necessarily personally mind the quips.

Yeah, in general I love the banter. In DA2 it just seemed excessive at times. I think its the Legacy DLC for DA2 that seemed particularly bad with this. It was almost like they had some quota where somebody had to pop off some inane observation every 30 seconds. Like you'd be running through the level and some companion pops off making some plain as daylight observation like "oh, that door is open!" Just inane stuff that felt completely worthless.

Again, I like the banter but (IMO) it needs to just be an extra sort of supplementary way to characterize the companions, not one of the main ways.

Its good that BioWare puts as much work into the companions as they do, but with DA2 I felt like that was almost to the detriment of everything else in the game. Like having the companions with their comparatively super unique looking outfits and tons of voice acting compared to any other non companion character. And then the world itself feeling dull and dead. That contrast between how much work seemingly went into the companions while everything else was pretty cookie cutter and dull was striking and not in a good way.

Zaventem

Who cares how big you make it.Lots of these games that are open world are boring as shit.If the same problems carry over to DA3 it'll still be a bad game in a big field.

Top Bottom